As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really feel the best option for a Batman movie is still Batman beyond
    I kind of agree, except I'd want them to show themselves able to do it right before they try to do it at all.

Here's an easy way to make a Batman Beyond movie start off on the right foot. Cast Kevin Conroy as old Bruce Wayne.

I was going to suggest Michael Keaton.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I would personally love a more slower burn Batman movie, where he is actually being a detective. I mean yeah, give him a few fight sequences and have it end with a bang. But, maybe something like the Hush storyline -- it could be a full teardown of the Bruce Wayne/Batman Dynamic.

Bah.. it will never happen.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I would personally love a more slower burn Batman movie, where he is actually being a detective. I mean yeah, give him a few fight sequences and have it end with a bang. But, maybe something like the Hush storyline -- it could be a full teardown of the Bruce Wayne/Batman Dynamic.

Bah.. it will never happen.

I would totally be down for a Blade Runner 2049 movie but with Batman in it.

I don't care if that means Batman Beyond or not.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Spider-Man: Homecoming spent more time on the Vulture's origin story than Spider-Man's.

Marvel was quite up front about no longer being interested in doing 'origin stories' for their heroes, Doctor Strange aside. Hitting the ground running with Spider-Man showing up in Civil War already doing his web slinging thing for months prior, and thus having been at it for some time when Homecoming came out, was entirely intentional.

Between comics, cartoons, games, books, several movie versions, etc, how many times do we need to see Bruce Wayne's parents gunned down? Or hear 'with great power comes great responsibility'?

I'm entirely okay with no longer feeling the need to devote 1-2+ hours (and $10-20) establishing things most of us can already recite in our sleep to set up a new actor/actress in a role that familiar.

Which isn't meant to belabor the point, but it seemed more polite to explain my response rather than say 'lawl that's a feature not a bug' and call it a day.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Just as Batman Beyond built on the foundation of Batman:TAS, I'd rather we have at least one good Batman film again before trying Batman Beyond. No, Nolan's trilogy doesn't count, that got to be only very vaguely related to anything Batman past the first film. One actual honest-to-bat Batman film that is really good, with a director that actually knows his shit when it comes to Batman.

Barring that, a Batman Beyond game, since the Batman games have (at least mostly) paid an awesome amount of attention to the Batman mythos.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Beyond wouldn't have to be built on a successful Batman movie. Just like the origin thing, everyone's familiar enough with the character for them to just say 'Bruce Wayne got too old to keep being Batman', and that's all they'd need.

The intro to the show did that just fine; Batman on his last mission, where he finally realises it's time to give it up when he's forced to pick up a gun to defend himself.
    That would need a tone where him picking up a gun speaks for itself, but that'd be that movies message to sell, not something they'd have to establish with a trilogy ahead of time.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I would love to see a batman beyond movie that DC has put together because they had a really good story they wanted to tell. Unforthuntely the DC we have would be more likely to do it because they've soiled the current batch of superheroes too heavily and are desperately flailing for fresh IP's that they can desecrate with their ineptitude.

What I'd really like to see DC do instead, is look to deadpool as an example for how to make a super hero movie; less well known character, tight budget, impassioned crew and minimal EP interference. Hell, you could probably make a movie for the question, huntress and deadman for the cost of one batman movie and odds are you'd make a hell of a lot more money while shoring up your credibility.

And right now what DC needs the most is credibility.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Beyond wouldn't have to be built on a successful Batman movie. Just like the origin thing, everyone's familiar enough with the character for them to just say 'Bruce Wayne got too old to keep being Batman', and that's all they'd need.

The intro to the show did that just fine; Batman on his last mission, where he finally realises it's time to give it up when he's forced to pick up a gun to defend himself.
    That would need a tone where him picking up a gun speaks for itself, but that'd be that movies message to sell, not something they'd have to establish with a trilogy ahead of time.

Wouldn't necessarily be needed, no, but having TAS to draw from really strengthened what Beyond had to work with. Having a solid actual-Batman flick to draw from beforehand would help a Beyond film just as much; a lot of Beyond dealt with legacies. Something like, say, the one-off episode with Frieze doesn't work nearly as well without all the prior material from TAS to hammer home the tragedy of the situation.

That being said, I do agree that everybody knows Batman well enough at this point that it wouldn't necessarily be a requirement for a Beyond film to be any good. It could be done as a good standalone, but it would be a lot more likely to be decent with a solid foundation of actual Batman material to build on.

• Options
    Also on the topic of Batman; no more batman please. there have been since 1989 46 animated films either starring or prominently featuring him, 10 live action films (and a cameo appearance in squad), Gotham, and 10 animated series for a combined total of 67 projects.

That's more then marvel's entire extended cast (litterally everything with the marvel logo on it) from the same time period combined.

I'm batman'd the fuck out.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Not that you aren't Batman'd out, but even if you watched everything that's no more than ~3-6 a year. Not exactly demanding if you were so inclined.

Doesn't matter what it is as long and it's good. Which of course DC is having issues with, but Batman could be awesome.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't see any problem with origin stories on Marvel's end, since they're making new movies with new characters all the time, so an origin story is kind of the obvious way to go.

But with how many frigging times they've had to reset the likes of Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman, you're damn right we don't need to have those plots told over and over and over. Ironically maybe that's the reason they keep having to reboot the things.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't think it's really that they want to stop telling origins entirely, so much as the goal is to do it in a truncated form. Start the story in medias res, maybe have a 5 minute breakdown to catch those who are new up in the opening or as a montage/flashback in the middle, but the notion of dedicating the entire first movie to basically telling a highly similar tale of tragedy/vengeance/get powers/learn to use them/get set back/overcome obstacles, while not exclusive to comic movies in general (or Marvel in specific), there's an entire body of work already covering that.

Obviously new properties need to start somewhere, I'm certainly not advocating for every story to skip the first 1-10 years and get into the middle from the word go, but yeah, entirely agreed on older franchises, and slimming things down even with some newer properties/characters is something I'm coming to appreciate as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    There's no reason at all to do "Thomas and Martha Wayne are gunned down in an alley" ever again.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    There's no reason at all to do "Thomas and Martha Wayne are gunned down in an alley" ever again.

It depends what they do with it. I mean no film has ever really focused on his relationship with his mother (don't say BvS, she barely appears in that opening it's all about JDM), the Nolan ones were about the father relationship, the original ones show the mother but again she doesn't really come up. The Arkham games used it well too.

But if it's just a bog standard thing, then no, not unless the last Batman film was ten years ago.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

You do it for the benefit of those rich, rich Chinese audiences who aren't familiar with Batman.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I don't know how the rest of the season went (only played the first episode), but I'd be cool if they went down the telltale route re: Batman and his parents.

Spoilers for the first episode of the game?
    Have it be a detective story where he's working through a modern villain to find out if the origins of his fortune are corrupt and thus undermines his entire mission

It allowed you to revisit the origin without it being an origin story.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Not that you aren't Batman'd out, but even if you watched everything that's no more than ~3-6 a year. Not exactly demanding if you were so inclined.

Doesn't matter what it is as long and it's good. Which of course DC is having issues with, but Batman could be awesome.

Sure, but why not direct that effort into developing any of the 70 some odd other characters that DC has active at any given time, ones that might have even more appeal to the masses then Bruce if only someone would give them the chance on the big screen?

Like, if someone came out with a blue beetle movie I'd be easily sold on the concept of it alone; teenager with a suit of alien power armor that looks like a big bug when it's not active and has a mind of it's own.

Or Zatana: a magician from the vegas strip who stumbles across the real deal.

Or Huntress: Girl punisher with a crossbow.

Or Booster gold: Dude who bought a bunch of stuff at 25th century future shack so that he could go back in time and be worshipped as being super awesome.

This shouldn't be that fucking hard.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I would watch a Booster Gold movie. I don't really care who's in it or who makes it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I would watch a Booster Gold movie. I don't really care who's in it or who makes it.

It strikes me as being like the ideal movie for wiping the bitter taste of the current setting away.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (my thought, and then my reaction to said thought:)

Legion of Super-Heroes would be:
    (a) fantastic, in the most literal sense;
    (b) nigh-incomprehensible to non-fans.

*sigh*

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    (my thought, and then my reaction to said thought:)

Legion of Super-Heroes would be:
    (a) fantastic, in the most literal sense;
    (b) nigh-incomprehensible to non-fans.

*sigh*

Not really, it's more budget and logistics then the concept or wold building. Plus, audience reaction to comic book bullshit has been fine so far with the explosion of comic book movies. Legion did have a cartoon which did well enough for multiple seasons, after all.

The elevator pitch is basically a bunch of super powered aliens from the future are inspired by 21st century super-heroes like Superman. They can also just have Superboy or Supergirl there via time travel, as well.

That said, all that is pointless with the current WB management.
    emnmnme wrote: »

You do it for the benefit of those rich, rich Chinese audiences who aren't familiar with Batman.

I'm pretty sure they know who Batman is by now.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Sure, but why not direct that effort into developing any of the 70 some odd other characters that DC has active at any given time, ones that might have even more appeal to the masses then Bruce if only someone would give them the chance on the big screen?

Like, if someone came out with a blue beetle movie I'd be easily sold on the concept of it alone; teenager with a suit of alien power armor that looks like a big bug when it's not active and has a mind of it's own.

Or Booster gold: Dude who bought a bunch of stuff at 25th century future shack so that he could go back in time and be worshipped as being super awesome.

I think Booster Gold would be the best one to go with. The concept is fun and a bit silly, the character seems somewhat Stark like, and all his mad future knowledge and tech would be a good hook to bring in other heroes. He could go to Vegas, watch Zatana's show, and one of his gadgets clues him in on the fact that there's no trick to what she's doing. Or he hits some problem that his wiki says that Blue Beatle will be able to solve, so he goes out to find the guy.

I'm still in awe at the wreckage that is the DCEU. MoS wasn't good, but it was something they could recover from. Just let Supes meet Bats and have Clark realize that Batman's brooding miserableness was where he was going to end up if he didn't sort his shit out. But instead we got BvS, which was just god awful on pretty much every level. Even my least favorite MCU films manage to have coherent plots and characters that seem moderately realistic with believable motives. BvS was Uwe Boll level garbage.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

Fine, fine, I will do both. I will fix everything.

And will start by not making Booster Canadian anymore I mean really WTF of all the things in the New52.......

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

I think Booster Gold would be the best one to go with. The concept is fun and a bit silly, the character seems somewhat Stark like, and all his mad future knowledge and tech would be a good hook to bring in other heroes. He could go to Vegas, watch Zatana's show, and one of his gadgets clues him in on the fact that there's no trick to what she's doing. Or he hits some problem that his wiki says that Blue Beatle will be able to solve, so he goes out to find the guy.

I'm still in awe at the wreckage that is the DCEU. MoS wasn't good, but it was something they could recover from. Just let Supes meet Bats and have Clark realize that Batman's brooding miserableness was where he was going to end up if he didn't sort his shit out. But instead we got BvS, which was just god awful on pretty much every level. Even my least favorite MCU films manage to have coherent plots and characters that seem moderately realistic with believable motives. BvS was Uwe Boll level garbage.

I actually find uwe Boll's films to be more entertaining since they're oblivious to how ridiculous they are and it becomes a fun game trying to figure out how the one recognizable actor in the film got roped into this shit.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    No one posted the Shazam teaser trailer that went up yesterday? For shame.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    For shame indeed.

That trailer restored my faith in the DCEU.

Vibrant colors, actually rescuing people and of course the one thing the Internet loves the most: Practical effects(No CGI).

Mark my words, this project is going to turn it all around for WB/DC.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Apparently the Flash movie won't be called Flashpoint?

Though that may just be a marketing move and they're plowing ahead with that adaptation anyway.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Though that may just be a marketing move and they're plowing ahead with that adaptation anyway.

I'm guessing it's because execs are scared no one would know it is a Flash movie. So we're going to get Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and The Flash as titles.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I remember back when rumors were a Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson movie of Booster and Blue Beetle. Oh how times have changed.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

This movie isn't getting made, is it?

• Options
    I think they've said it's still doing the basic story of Flashpoint, it's just going to be called something else.

I'm guessing The Flash: Flashpoint. It's technically different!

• Options
    I think they've said it's still doing the basic story of Flashpoint, it's just going to be called something else.

Remember all the history and continuity we haven't built up with the Flash? We're turning that all upside-down!

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

If the AT&T/TW merger falls apart in court, it's entirely likely the entire DCEU will be canceled. WB has been hemorrhaging money for years now. None of their movies are making a ton of money and most end up losing money when you take into account marketing costs.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

If the AT&T/TW merger falls apart in court, it's entirely likely the entire DCEU will be canceled. WB has been hemorrhaging money for years now. None of their movies are making a ton of money and most end up losing money when you take into account marketing costs.

If they do that, WB would effectively lose much of its clout in the movie industry. The model is now based on spending huge on big properties with worldwide appeal, with the hope that the number of hits outweigh the misses. The DC lineup is the biggest property they have. Though it's blown up in their faces, it would be suicide to stop trying to leverage them.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no reason it should be failing. Just make happy crowd pleasing hits using bold colors, pleasant characters, clear villains and simple themes. Sure. You won't win any film awards, but you'll make a few bucks no problem.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Yeah, there's no reason it should be failing. Just make happy crowd pleasing hits using bold colors, pleasant characters, clear villains and simple themes. Sure. You won't win any film awards, but you'll make a few bucks no problem.

Really WB just needs to get over the WE ARE THE ANTI-MARVEL attitude.

• Options

Remember all the history and continuity we haven't built up with the Flash? We're turning that all upside-down!

Change that to The DCEU, and you've got a reason to be excited.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Hell, they could go anti marvel in a sorta 1950's wholesome sorta way. Hell, set the whole damn thing in the 50's. Have superman fight gangsters, and wonder woman worry about communist spies. Have Cyborg help some unions against evil mine bosses. Make the setting a whole lot less racist than the 50's actually were (some kind of alternate 50's, where America is just a happier more content place with all sorts of people living and working together)

Not like, utter schmaltz, but completely ernest, positive and joyful. Superman is here to help us, and taking joy in his life as a person and as a hero. Wonder woman wants to inspire the women of the world to be all that they can be. The Flash is inspired by the heroes around him, and a bit of a goof, but takes his work defending central city completely seriously and so on. Martian Manhunter is the outsider, but he is interest and amused by the things humans do and seeks a place in his adopted home, ironically guided by Superman who is himself an outsider. Even Batman can easily be portrayed with a lighter touch successfully, where Batman himself is utterly serious about what a terrible plague on the city organized crime is but uses his Bruce Wayne persona to do good, and even Batman himself can be relaxed around his friends in the league.

Hell, just bring in the people who did the Justice League cartoon in season one. Tell them to take every episode they made, and make it into a justice league movie, expanding it to movie length by adding more character segments about a specific character who will be the focus this time.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

i think it's good that WB isn't trying to copy the marvel formula because in this very specific case of movies i like having diversity. The problem is not so much that they are anti-marvel it's that they are rofl wut-ing it up. They don't have someone in charge that has a vision that is coherent and is going to bring in the money. Like, Justice League had a lot of good elements to it. Good actors, decent plot points, but it had bad dialogue and terrible pacing and lacked a great mustache. Maybe they don't need an extended universe. Maybe Wonder Woman can just do her own thing and that will be OK.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    The main issue since the start has been that DC was impatient and wanted Marvel's success with none of the groundwork.

This discussion has been closed.