As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Looking back at BF3, 4, and 1 I think the thing I hate most is how they handle dlc. Here's a bunch of really cool vehicles that you will never see cause no one's plays the DLC.

Also does not help that there is no way to play all the maps at once. Like I barely got to enjoy Turning Tides before Apocalypse hit.

I mean...even with BF4 and Hardline's free DLC, there are a minuscule number of servers actually running the free maps.

Which could be solved via having everything servers.

There is no need to split the player base into 5 options per game type.

Oh, and while I'm mentioning that, please stop releasing half baked games modes to help justify cost of expansions DICE. Did we really need supply drop, or conquest assault? No, no we did not. Hell, no one wanted war pigeons either.

Conquest, Rush, TDM, a Dogfighting gamemode, and Operations (expect unfucked) is all that is needed.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Looking back at BF3, 4, and 1 I think the thing I hate most is how they handle dlc. Here's a bunch of really cool vehicles that you will never see cause no one's plays the DLC.

Also does not help that there is no way to play all the maps at once. Like I barely got to enjoy Turning Tides before Apocalypse hit.

I mean...even with BF4 and Hardline's free DLC, there are a minuscule number of servers actually running the free maps.

Which could be solved via having everything servers.

There is no need to split the player base into 5 options per game type.

Oh, and while I'm mentioning that, please stop releasing half baked games modes to help justify cost of expansions DICE. Did we really need supply drop, or conquest assault? No, no we did not. Hell, no one wanted war pigeons either.

Conquest, Rush, TDM, a Dogfighting gamemode, and Operations (expect unfucked) is all that is needed.

They cocked up with War Pigeons by not having the mode be Air Superiority with everybody playing as the pigeons!

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pretty sure a new Battlefield right now will have a Battle Royale mode

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Pretty sure a new Battlefield right now will have a Battle Royale mode

A safe bet.

Everything is jumping on that Battle Royale train. Paladins, Dying Light, even CoD has a battle royale mode. It's only currently available in the F2P chinese CoD Online, but I bet Black Ops 4 will feature the mode as well.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Gross.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    So, the new Battlefield V reveal page has a bunch of (potentially) juicy teasers in it.

"A New Battlefield..."
    - "It's a brand-new experience and still everything you love about Battlefield - where every fight is different and brought to life across unexpected theatres of war."

"Unexpected" eh? I mean...wouldn't that kinda rule out World War 2? I mean, those theaters are expected because they've been documented, right?

"...in a New Setting"
    - "Battlefield 1 gave players the definitive World War 1 experience that brought the dawn of all-out war to life. But the next Battlefield happens on another frontline. The live reveal will give players the first look at DICE's immersive portrayal of the new setting."

Since they already did World War 2 (and Vietnam, for that matter), would that really count as a "new setting"?

And the page also references the new BF1 easter egg room and calls out the white horse. Maybe the setting has been staring us in the face. V = Roman numeral 5...Roman. Maybe we're talking Battlefield: Rome! Cavalry charges! Legions armed with hastas and gladiuses (gladii?)!

EDIT - btw, here's the reveal page I'm talking about: https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/battlefield-5-live-reveal-ten-things-not-to-miss

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    South African legend Trevor Noah?

Boer War confirmed.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Ugh...

Well, from a quick little teaser video DICE put out, it's looking like I'm going to be saving at least $60 to put towards other games this year. From the icons used, unless they're playing a massive misdirect hype campaign, Battlefield V is World War 2.

EDIT -

Here's the teaser video (that lasts all of 3 seconds) (edit2: swapping video for Jackfrags' slightly more in-depth analysis of those 3 seconds and why it's surmised that it points to World War 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHMJ6Fn_jXM

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm... tepidly interested. The setting works for me (though I'd have preferred Korean War, gnatch), but I'm waiting to see how bad the monetisation is.

Edit: Does make a mockery of "unexpected theaters" though. While the Eastern Front would be cool and fitting for the quote, there's no way they do that without it being DLC.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Suriko wrote: »
    I'm... tepidly interested. The setting works for me (though I'd have preferred Korean War, gnatch), but I'm waiting to see how bad the monetisation is.

Edit: Does make a mockery of "unexpected theaters" though. While the Eastern Front would be cool and fitting for the quote, there's no way they do that without it being DLC.

If they want to go unexpected for me in World War 2 territory, they're going to have to do the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018

If they want to go unexpected for me in World War 2 territory, they're going to have to do the Japanese invasion of the Aleutian Islands.

The Winter War? It'd be a genuinely very interesting thing to see in a BF game.

I'd nearly put money on having just Normandy, Operation Market Garden, Omaha Beach, etc, though. DLC for Pacific Theatre, maybe DLC for Eastern Front.

Suriko on
  • Options

The Winter War? It'd be a genuinely very interesting thing to see in a BF game.

I'd nearly put money on having just Normandy, Operation Market Garden, Omaha Beach, etc, though. DLC for Pacific Theatre, maybe DLC for Eastern Front.

And, given that they've put a pile of money into sandy desert environments, can probably expect at least one or two North Africa maps.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    https://amp.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/8l9yck/increased_hue_on_the_sony_leaked_bfv_cover_art/?__twitter_impression=true

Apparently a leaked image, with increased hue appears to show what looks like an American paratrooper with a 1911 and m1 carbine so WW2 for sure.

Sounds like War stories as the campaign is coming back so I imagine we'd be seeing 3 or 4 mini campaigns spanning different continents and battles a la BF1. Wasn't my favorite thing, from a single player standpoint but oh well.

I'm pretty good with this to be honest.

• Options
    I would love a WW2 game focused on the early war. Poland, Norway, Fall of France, Italian Invasion of Greece. North Africa, Winter War, Japan's invasion of Japan. Alas I doubt that will ever happen.

When people say WW2 has been done they really mean the Western, Eastern and Pacific. There are entire theaters where millions died (like the Burmese) that don't get a game. WW2 has tons of potential left for new experiences, and while I know people come for the big main attractions I hope they will include some of the lesser know fronts.

• Options
    I would love a WW2 game focused on the early war. Poland, Norway, Fall of France, Italian Invasion of Greece. North Africa, Winter War, Japan's invasion of Japan. Alas I doubt that will ever happen.

When people say WW2 has been done they really mean the Western, Eastern and Pacific. There are entire theaters where millions died (like the Burmese) that don't get a game. WW2 has tons of potential left for new experiences, and while I know people come for the big main attractions I hope they will include some of the lesser know fronts.

Japanese invasion of Manchuria...

...followed by the Russian invasion of Manchuria.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Hm, feel like they should have skipped the historical one and gone for a modern bf. As it stands bfv will be everyone has assault rifles and we just have limited sight options.

I do love me some Thompson smg.....

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    I didn't mind 1's wacky take on WW1.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    canuckont wrote: »
    Hm, feel like they should have skipped the historical one and gone for a modern bf. As it stands bfv will be everyone has assault rifles and we just have limited sight options.

Honestly, one of the reasons why I was really hoping for modern or (ideally) future (2142, not far-future) setting was because it broadens the possibilities on weapons and mission backdrops. Basically, sticking with historical settings means they're locked into the tech that existed at the time (even in the case of experimental weaponry).

Also, I'm just bitter because I'm a bullpup fan, and unless Battlefield V gets the Remington XP-100 bolt-action pistol, I think I'm stuck playing Hardline or BF4 to scratch that itch.

EDIT - and it'd be reeeeeeaaaaal nice having some of the QoL improvements from BF1 in BF4. Things like being able to vault over terrain that's taller than your thigh. I can live without the sliding...but the vaulting is a big one.

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular

None of that is happening because none of it stars America, and this is EA, a company that launched a WW1 game without the French or Russian armies because they needed the US Army.

You will probably see a portion of the North Africa campaign. Operation Torch maybe.

I would love to see Japan's invasion of Japan though. That'd be epic.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I am lobbing a guess of Battlefield (V)ichy out there. WW2 with a focus on French Partisans/European resistance and Nazi killing. It would allow them to reuse BF1 assets which feels like an EA move.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Error wrote: »

None of that is happening because none of it stars America, and this is EA, a company that launched a WW1 game without the French or Russian armies because they needed the US Army.

You will probably see a portion of the North Africa campaign. Operation Torch maybe.

I would love to see Japan's invasion of Japan though. That'd be epic.

Look I've been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron recently and the alt history I see in that game must be bleeding through.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I am lobbing a guess of Battlefield (V)ichy out there. WW2 with a focus on French Partisans/European resistance and Nazi killing. It would allow them to reuse BF1 assets which feels like an EA move.

Union Jack kinda points to the British being at least a core faction. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the factions are going to be:

Britain
    Germany
    Italy
    US

With maybe Russia, France, and Japan being added in later.

In other words, Battlefield V is going to be BF1 all over again...just without the Ottomans.

• Options
    I think the diesel punk a la konflict 47 would be cool. Lots of fun they could have with that setting.
    canuckont wrote: »

Honestly, one of the reasons why I was really hoping for modern or (ideally) future (2142, not far-future) setting was because it broadens the possibilities on weapons and mission backdrops. Basically, sticking with historical settings means they're locked into the tech that existed at the time (even in the case of experimental weaponry).

Also, I'm just bitter because I'm a bullpup fan, and unless Battlefield V gets the Remington XP-100 bolt-action pistol, I think I'm stuck playing Hardline or BF4 to scratch that itch.

EDIT - and it'd be reeeeeeaaaaal nice having some of the QoL improvements from BF1 in BF4. Things like being able to vault over terrain that's taller than your thigh. I can live without the sliding...but the vaulting is a big one.

Agreed I want to see new stuff. I just hated how bf4 became thermal sights errday for awhile. NV is one thing but seeing that RYBG colour playing bothered me.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    I'm hoping it clicks with me better than BF1 did. It's not that BF1 was bad, just a lot of stuff could have been done better and BF4 was outright better. My somewhat arbitrary wishlist based off early BF1:

1. Proper community servers
    It isn't exactly a stretch to say their removal was a cynical cash grab by EA considering it provided literally no benefit to the playerbase. I played BF4 loads because I'd found a good server with a good community. Playing with the same set of regulars really adds a lot to a game. It also made games generally more balanced and if needed an admin or mod could step in and shuffle things about a bit. BF1 in contrast tended to be pot luck with a random assortment of players I'd never bother paying attention to since I'd never encounter them again. It just felt soulless. Since it was a cynical cash grab I doubt they'll change their minds, but hopefully the server rental program won't suck quite as much this time.

2. Proper conquest
    Seems like it's coming back! Or at least I hope it is. Didn't like BF1's conquest at all, nor the points system that massively overrewarded taking caps.

3. A better UI
    Didn't like the odd placement of things - like objective markers at the top of the screen (why? I'm not looking up there) as opposed to above the minimap. Minimap defaults that were too zoomed in to be of any use etc. I just didn't get the stylization either. It was a nice font, sure, but it didn't feel in any way related to WW1. To be blunt, it did very much feel like they'd just copied across battlefront's look and called it a day. IT somehow took up more space and conveyed less information than BF4's text. By default it didn't even have a kill feed! I think they fixed some of this stuff later on, but I'd stopped by then.

I could probably think up a few more. Perhaps some of them are a bit nitpicky, but it all added up.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I'm glad it won't be a 'modern' setting. We had 3 of those in a row from bfbc2 thru 4.

I got a ton of love for bf1942 and I want to see that with the current Frostbite engine.

They could still fit in crazy shit like they did with that one x-pack for 1942

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Japanese invasion of Manchuria...

...followed by the Russian invasion of Manchuria.

The Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation could actually be pretty neat. Fast warfare, wide open spaces, different environments.

It'd have a lot more variety than the American Invasion of Okinawa at least.

If they really want to surprise us, do something completely out of left-field. Like the British Campaign against the Quit India Movement: complete with cavalry charges, light tanks, machinegun trains and and air bombardment (on the British side anyway).

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I accidentally jumped back to Page 7 of this thread while opening it and was super confused by all of the "BF: Bad Company 3 in Vietnam is the next BF, 100% confirmed leak" stuff, featuring an entirely different aesthetic than the BFV stuff EA's been putting out lately. I read a full page of comments before realizing that I was looking at posts from 2017.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    I'm glad it won't be a 'modern' setting. We had 3 of those in a row from bfbc2 thru 4.

I got a ton of love for bf1942 and I want to see that with the current Frostbite engine.

They could still fit in crazy shit like they did with that one x-pack for 1942

Secret weapons of ww2... Oh man that was a good one. I play the heck outta the demo

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    i think i'd be ok with just a complete remake of 1942, in frostbite.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Of all the Triple-A FPS games (all both of em) adding (bolting on) a Battle Royal gamemode; Battlefield is a reasonable choice IMO.

It's not like Battlefield didn't have a similar thing in the past.

That is if the rumor happens to be true.

• Options
    We should know exactly here in about 4 hours.

• Options
    WW2 Confirmed...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Nice!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The talk of building fortifications and reinforcing damaged structures tickles my turtle shell.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    The talk of building fortifications and reinforcing damaged structures tickles my turtle shell.

I can't wait to get home to watch this

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Please correct me if I misheard, but no Premium or paid expansions.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Please correct me if I misheard, but no Premium or paid expansions.

you heard right...that is unexpected? and super cool.

• Options
    So female player characters? :+1:

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    What the hell was any of that trailer?

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    It was a cricket bat with barbed wire on it.

u4OkoEI.png