As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Black Panther] The revolution will be live

1131415161719»

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Also, traditionally?

African warriors- not so in love with protective headgear. You'd get some baller head dresses, but that's... that's really the extent of it, as far as I know?

I know it's the trope of the Agile Tribesman® but really a lot of cultures see helmets at a decorative piece and not an essential part of armor.

As a viewer I like seeing minimal helmets in my sci-fi/fantasy superhero romps because the actors they get sell so many emotions with their faces, a helmet would actually distract from my enjoyment! I know it's not historically accurate or even modern..ically?... accurate but fuck it, I want to see my pretty people.

I know in Hockey they had to keep passing rules to force the player wear helmets and eye/face protection because the players are always looking for a little extra edge in awareness and visibility, their face and teeth be damned.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Lack of helmets was, like, one of the least nonsensical bits. Supposedly the most advanced technological society was still using spears and knives to fight instead of guns.

Honestly if I wanted an explanation I’d chalk it up to Wakanda having very little actual experience in large scale warfare. Most of their physical conflict is between themselves with certain customs applied or through covert operations.

Quid on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think BP is certainly trading on, if not stereotypes, certainly cinematic tropes of the way black characters are portrayed in cinema. You know, those kids in Oakland could have been playing something else that wasn’t so strongly associated with black youth culture. But it does so because it is trying to speak directly about that culture and the way black people have been portrayed in the past. The movie is very aware that what it’s doing is exploding traditional portrayals—it says pretty explicitly, black culture is not just street ball, it’s also spaceships and superheroes if we say it is.

So I don’t think it’s wrong to say that the film is using a lot of traditional signifiers of black culture; but it does so for a purpose and from an authentic perspective. It’s not enough to point out stereotypes, you have to say “And that’s wrong because...” In this instance I’d argue it’s right, because.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Lack of helmets was, like, one of the least nonsensical bits. Supposedly the most advanced technological society was still using spears and knives to fight instead of guns.

Honestly if I wanted an explanation I’d chalk it up to Wakanda having very little actual experience in large scale warfare. Most of their physical conflict is between themselves with certain customs applied or through covert operations.

That plus it was basically ceremonial elite forces. Marines carrying a saber, essentially.

Its not like they lack gun technology! That's what they were shipping out!

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    One shouldn't get mad at BP for not having the soldiers wearing helmets. Movies hate helmets because obscured faces are hard to work with. Dumb military gear that suits the rule of cool is par for the course in film, it's not racist, just regular Hollywood dumb.

I'm sure the official explanation would be that they weren't expecting a fight right then so weren't fully geared up, but we all know it's because military helmets aren't cool enough.

They also tend to be dehumanizing (c.f. stormtroopers) and not what you would want for the full-on tragedy of the big third-act setpiece. And of course if actors are wearing helmets of some kind it makes it harder to convince the audience they did all their own stunts.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

I believe in the movie they noted that they don't conquer, but they do defend themselves. Now, that may have been a reference to inter-tribal fighting, but I'm guessing that as an allegedly poor nation, occasionally their neighbours might decide 'hey, you know what? This land is ours now' and they need to go rectify that misconception.

But somehow nobody knows that this isolationist country of poor textile manufacturers (as part of their ruse) is full of badasses.

So, what happens? Do they have people trained to fight in 'primative' ways to fend off an invading force? Do they just... disappear opposing groups and everyone knows the stay the fuck away? Maybe just the legend of the black panther is known enough to keep all but the most determined away, despite the extremely clear order to never speak of seeing him/them.

I'm not saying we can't resolve these two ideas, but I think it actually opens some really interesting room for stories and conjecture. Lush green terrain as we've seen, even with foreboding mountains and otherwise inhospitable areas, would have to be attractive to someone eventually, but until BP's finale and they decide to open up their technology and outreach, presumably they've been mostly left alone for decades/centuries/perhaps millennia. And... I find that kind of chilling.

Maybe they're just tucked away enough that it's not worth the trouble to go looking, but it's also possible that every so often some fool ignores warnings against military action, sends an army or two out to claim some land, and it doesn't end well for them.

Edit: now, to consider this further, they did also note having spies and personnel around the world, so it's possible they've infiltrated government/military forces in neighbours enough to keep that from being a problem most of the time.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    spool32 wrote: »

That plus it was basically ceremonial elite forces. Marines carrying a saber, essentially.

From the look of it, we'll get to see their approach to large scale battle in a few months.

Also, they don't seem to really get engaged in war all that often. It's like pointing out Lichtenstein has poor counter insurgency tactics. Why would they?

moniker on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

I believe in the movie they noted that they don't conquer, but they do defend themselves. Now, that may have been a reference to inter-tribal fighting, but I'm guessing that as an allegedly poor nation, occasionally their neighbours might decide 'hey, you know what? This land is ours now' and they need to go rectify that misconception.

But somehow nobody knows that this isolationist country of poor textile manufacturers (as part of their ruse) is full of badasses.

So, what happens? Do they have people trained to fight in 'primative' ways to fend off an invading force? Do they just... disappear opposing groups and everyone knows the stay the fuck away? Maybe just the legend of the black panther is known enough to keep all but the most determined away, despite the extremely clear order to never speak of seeing him/them.

I'm not saying we can't resolve these two ideas, but I think it actually opens some really interesting room for stories and conjecture. Lush green terrain as we've seen, even with foreboding mountains and otherwise inhospitable areas, would have to be attractive to someone eventually, but until BP's finale and they decide to open up their technology and outreach, presumably they've been mostly left alone for decades/centuries/perhaps millennia. And... I find that kind of chilling.

Maybe they're just tucked away enough that it's not worth the trouble to go looking, but it's also possible that every so often some fool ignores warnings against military action, sends an army or two out to claim some land, and it doesn't end well for them.

Edit: now, to consider this further, they did also note having spies and personnel around the world, so it's possible they've infiltrated government/military forces in neighbours enough to keep that from being a problem most of the time.

Yeah they heavily imply having a massive clandestine and reconnaissance force. The king's own brother was tasked with living abroad undercover, so I assume they have a lot of people scattered around.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Yeah they heavily imply having a massive clandestine and reconnaissance force. The king's own brother was tasked with living abroad undercover, so I assume they have a lot of people scattered around.

Also the beginning scene is a good indication of what happens to raiders. Anything short of a tank is going to get utterly wrecked once it hits the jungle, and the only hard part is not giving away how!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

From the look of it, we'll get to see their approach to large scale battle in a few months.

Also, they don't seem to really get engaged in war all that often. It's like pointing out Lichtenstein has poor counter insurgency tactics. Why would they?

Judging from the trailers large scale battle seems to include
    more soldiers with spears running at the enemy

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Black Panther is now #3 all time for domestic box office gross

Only Avatar and The Force Awakens are above it, it passed Titanic

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/domestic.htm

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    #34 in all time adjusted, which is awesome. Also means that even if it hits #1 (though another $270m seems like quite the climb) it could feasibly run up the score on that chart as well.

#10 all time world wide, and only ~33m behind The Last Jedi to get the #9 spot.

Obviously theaters will be making some tough choices in the next few weeks, but I won't be surprised if a screen gets held for BP in some theaters even once Infinity War lands to make $Asgard.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I actually got a couple friends who hadn't seen BP to go on Saturday evening. I figured since its been out since like last year, we didn't even think of trying to buy tickets early, and the theater was still so packed that the only set of 3 seats we could get together was in the very front row.

Crazy.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I actually got a couple friends who hadn't seen BP to go on Saturday evening. I figured since its been out since like last year, we didn't even think of trying to buy tickets early, and the theater was still so packed that the only set of 3 seats we could get together was in the very front row.

Crazy.

That one theater I mentioned a few weeks ago that's a single screen location and still had Black Panther up 4 weeks after release finally replaced the movie with Ready Player One, but I can almost guarantee you that movie won't be showing there for nearly as long as BP.

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    T'Challa was on Black Jeopardy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMzFGgmQOc

I think my favorite part is at the very end when Chadwick Boseman says "in the face" a direct reference to Coming to America.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh2weY3zYN8