As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Revenge of Interesting Facts: STAY INSIDE ON WIKIPEDIA

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Part of the problem of looking for archaeological evidence from 10,000+ years ago is that a lot of it is buried under seas and oceans because of the rise in sea level.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I don't want to go full Graham Hancock or armchair archeologist with things, or be insensitive, but think how little remains from 500 years ago, in a place like what's now Virginia

And lots of cultures or civilizations definitely destroyed evidence of their predecessors

Pre Columbus Americas were super advanced and there isn't much evidence left, really, and the asshole European invaders only started destroying that 500 years ago

So, it makes me wonder what sorts of things are waiting to be discovered

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Part of the problem of looking for archaeological evidence from 10,000+ years ago is that a lot of it is buried under seas and oceans because of the rise in sea level.

A lot of it has to do with stone carving not being the norm for a long time. Wood doesn't last very long, so much of the wooden artifacts are lost. Caves are great because they can hold evidence of fires and human habitation.

Though, I really wonder what they might find at the bottom of the Mediterranean.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »

A lot of it has to do with stone carving not being the norm for a long time. Wood doesn't last very long, so much of the wooden artifacts are lost. Caves are great because they can hold evidence of fires and human habitation.

Though, I really wonder what they might find at the bottom of the Mediterranean.

Or the black sea
    Also that's why I showed off the shigir idol it's wood and we don't know much of it as it has early writing we have no idea how to read

Brainleech on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I give up, the world is broken, can we just restart from the beginning please

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Life finds a way

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hey, so speaking of archeology, from the other day, scientists have rediscovered settlements? Dwellings? Towns? They're not exactly sure yet, I guess, in the Amazon basin

Guardian article and I think an academic paper

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/mar/27/lost-amazon-villages-uncovered-by-archaeologists

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-03510-7

Fascinating stuff

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Mouseferatu

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    From Dusk Til Gnawn

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I wonder if conservationists are going to try and wipe those little guys out. Can't think of how they'd manage it though, even on a place like Midway.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Kitties!

And then when they’re done I’m sure they won’t kill the albatrossi

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I just watched "The Butterfly Effect". It was better than I expected! I wonder what sort of critical reception it got, I'll just have a look at the Wikip-
    The "director's cut" alternative ending shows Evan turning on the home movies, only this time instead of watching a home movie at a neighborhood gathering, he's watching the video of his own birth. He travels back to when he is about to be born and commits suicide by strangling himself with his own umbilical cord. Therefore, he was never there to change the timeline in the first place and this explains why Evan's mother had two still-born children before him: since their father had the same gift which led him to be convicted as mentally unstable, the three killed themselves in the same way to avoid harming those around them.

Oh.

Oh okay then.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The Butterfly Effect is fucking hysterical, you will never laugh harder at a baby detonating

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I wonder if conservationists are going to try and wipe those little guys out. Can't think of how they'd manage it though, even on a place like Midway.

That is how a bunch of horror movies start. So, yes.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    In 1989 Poul Anderson wrote a short text using only words of Germanic origin, to show what English might look like if it expressed new concepts using German-style compounds rather than borrowing from other languages. The piece described atomic theory, or “uncleftish beholding”:

The firststuffs have their being as motes called unclefts. These are mightly small; one seedweight of waterstuff holds a tale of them like unto two followed by twenty-two naughts. Most unclefts link together to make what are called bulkbits. Thus, the waterstuff bulkbit bestands of two waterstuff unclefts, the sourstuff bulkbit of two sourstuff unclefts, and so on. (Some kinds, such as sunstuff, keep alone; others, such as iron, cling together in ices when in the fast standing; and there are yet more yokeways.) When unlike clefts link in a bulkbit, they make bindings. Thus, water is a binding of two waterstuff unclefts with one sourstuff uncleft, while a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff.

The full text is here. Douglas Hofstadter called this style “Ander-Saxon."

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    ... you know, I remember reading that story when I was ... maybe 11 or 12, something like that.
    I had no fucking clue what he was doing, either because the edition I read didn't give context or I didn't pay attention. So it was mostly just utterly baffling, but I always did like the phrase "uncleftish beholding".

tynic on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Apparently there’s a whole wiki for “Anglish,” including recastings of famous texts:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this greatland, a new folkship, dreamt in freedom, and sworn to the forthput that all men are made evenworthy. Now we are betrothed in a great folk-war, testing whether that folkship, or any folkship so born and so sworn, can long withstand. We are met on a great battle-field of that war.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Hilarious.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kingrowth lore is just a beholding. Teach the gainwending.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    TEACH THE GAINWENDING

is a thing I want to yell at random passersby.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    The Banded Folkdoms of Americksland sounds a lot cooler than the United States of America.

knitdan on
  • Options
    oh hey what if we developed an AI that targets our deepest fears?
    https://blog.csiro.au/the-nightmare-machine/

it's from a year or so ago, but there's no way I could pass up this picture when it crossed my twitter.

Kermit-comaprison-Nightmare-Machine-Data61-CSIRO-.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how did you know I was mortally afraid of kermit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    And British people

• Options

it's from a year or so ago, but there's no way I could pass up this picture when it crossed my twitter.

"I did it, folks! I found the rainbow connection. But then the rainbow connection... found me.

And now I've found all of you."

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    In 1989 Poul Anderson wrote a short text using only words of Germanic origin, to show what English might look like if it expressed new concepts using German-style compounds rather than borrowing from other languages. The piece described atomic theory, or “uncleftish beholding”:

The firststuffs have their being as motes called unclefts. These are mightly small; one seedweight of waterstuff holds a tale of them like unto two followed by twenty-two naughts. Most unclefts link together to make what are called bulkbits. Thus, the waterstuff bulkbit bestands of two waterstuff unclefts, the sourstuff bulkbit of two sourstuff unclefts, and so on. (Some kinds, such as sunstuff, keep alone; others, such as iron, cling together in ices when in the fast standing; and there are yet more yokeways.) When unlike clefts link in a bulkbit, they make bindings. Thus, water is a binding of two waterstuff unclefts with one sourstuff uncleft, while a bulkbit of one of the forestuffs making up flesh may have a thousand thousand or more unclefts of these two firststuffs together with coalstuff and chokestuff.

I'm confused why oxygen is "sourstuff" and unsure what "sunstuff" is (helium?)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The rainbow connection was the color out of space all along

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    It’s not easy being a humanoid abomination.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    milski wrote: »

I'm confused why oxygen is "sourstuff" and unsure what "sunstuff" is (helium?)

Sourstuff is like the German word for oxygen, Sauerstoff. Both from the Greek οξύς, sharp or sour. People used to think it was the basic (ha!) constituent of acids.

Ήλιος, Helios is Greek for sun, so you're right there.

honovere on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Ah, I should have figured the helium one out. Hmm.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Chokestuff is also the translation of the German word Stickstoff for nitrogen. Same with carbon.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »

"I did it, folks! I found the rainbow connection. But then the rainbow connection... found me.

And now I've found all of you."

Have you been half asleep?

Have you heard voices?

I hear them.

Calling my name.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    it's not easy being dead

having to spend each day the colour of the grave

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, at least when the machines revolt, they'll have a pixel-perfect map of all of humanity's greatest fears. That should save some time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Miss Piggy would still hit that sexually harass that.

• Options
    Interesting fact: I had a dream last night that Olivia Munn wanted me to sleep with her so that she could transform into a haunted sandwich.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That's not interesting and might not even be a fact, D-

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    what kind of haunted sandwich?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a haunted pizza

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    what kind of haunted sandwich?

An interesting one, so you can go ahead and change that to a C+ thanks Hobnail.

This discussion has been closed.