As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SCOTUS] : Back in black robes - new judicial session has begun

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What if Kim Davis said to the couple who came in for a marriage license: "Sorry, I don't believe that same-sex marriage is a good thing, because of my religious beliefs. But I would be happy to file any other license applications you might have!"

I know, she is a government employee, and therefore is required to issue the license.

But if she wasn't, then that attitude is perfectly acceptable?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Has there ever been cases like this cake thing over bigot customers?

Yes! I can't find it, but it was in the NYT article linked on this several pages ago. Client wanted some anti-gay bible verses on a bible cake, she offered to make a blank bible and provide them an icing bag to write whatever they wanted. No hiding behind religion, and no one was discriminated against and denied service on a protected basis; she just declined a specific message she found offensive not the clients religion.

Similarily, Masterpiece could have objected to putting two erect phalluses as cake toppers, but rejected their entire sexuality instead before the detail might have even come up.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What if Kim Davis said to the couple who came in for a marriage license: "Sorry, I don't believe that same-sex marriage is a good thing, because of my religious beliefs. But I would be happy to file any other license applications you might have!"

I know, she is a government employee, and therefore is required to issue the license.

Her signature is an artistic expression, you can't compell her to apply it to those licenses!

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Is this in response to me? Because, thats not what I said. The Kim Davis in my example would explicitly say (if she wished to be truthful)

"I am willing to file your marriage license if you wish, but you should know I do not support gay marriage. Do you really want someone who doesn't believe in what your doing to file your marriage license?"

To which most people would respond, "I don't give a goose, file that paperwork you bigot!"

Now, for her, it's still illegal, because she isn't representing herself and her own beliefs. She's representing the government, and the government works for everyone.

In addition, even if she didn't work for the government, she still works for her employer and must follow the codes of conduct laid down for her by them. And those codes of conduct must themselves be legal, and thus cannot include the line (for now at least) "we do not serve gay people here" OR the line "This business does not approve of gay marriage", since either of those lines would be violations of equal employment law.

So the law already works just fine, and will continue to do, since I cannot imagine a situation where 1 person would totally control some kind of critical service and be the only employee there and that service would also be the sort of service where you would care about what the person doing it thought about you and your lifestyle.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Is this in response to me? Because, thats not what I said. The Kim Davis in my example would explicitly say (if she wished to be truthful)

"I am willing to file your marriage license if you wish, but you should know I do not support gay marriage. Do you really want someone who doesn't believe in what your doing to file your marriage license?"

To which most people would respond, "I don't give a goose, file that paperwork you bigot!"

Now, for her, it's still illegal, because she isn't representing herself and her own beliefs. She's representing the government, and the government works for everyone.

In addition, even if she didn't work for the government, she still works for her employer and must follow the codes of conduct laid down for her by them. And those codes of conduct must themselves be legal, and thus cannot include the line (for now at least) "we do not serve gay people here" OR the line "This business does not approve of gay marriage", since either of those lines would be violations of equal employment law.

So the law already works just fine, and will continue to do, since I cannot imagine a situation where 1 person would totally control some kind of critical service and be the only employee there and that service would also be the sort of service where you would care about what the person doing it thought about you and your lifestyle.

It raises an interesting question though. Can employers suppress employees free speech rights? Say the owner of the bake shop was totally fine with gay marriage, but a particular baker was not. The couple asks for a rainbow cake that specifically says gay marriage is the best thing ever. If the baker was self employed they could refuse to make that specific cake on first amendment grounds, but can an employer force them to anyway (with the threat of firing for refusal)?

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »

It raises an interesting question though. Can employers suppress employees free speech rights? Say the owner of the bake shop was totally fine with gay marriage, but a particular baker was not. The couple asks for a rainbow cake that specifically says gay marriage is the best thing ever. If the baker was self employed they could refuse to make that specific cake on first amendment grounds, but can an employer force them to anyway (with the threat of firing for refusal)?

Depending on the State, either absolutely or probably.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yes, employers can absolutely require you to make or not make speech or lose your job, provided you don't have a contract that says otherwise.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    If the question is some derivation of "can labor be compelled to suck shit" the answer is usually yes.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I mean, TransAm Trucking v DOL means you can be fired for refusing to freeze to death.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    I mean, TransAm Trucking v DOL means you can be fired for refusing to freeze to death.

Oh, why hello Gorsuch!

• Options
    @tbloxham for what it's worth, I did not make my post as a response to yours.

• Options
    Well, the Supreme Court just basically decided that the police are, by default, justified in utilizing deadly force regardless of the situation.

Quote from the New York Times article follows.
    In dissent, Justice Sotomayor, joined by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, said the majority’s reasoning was perplexing.

“Hughes was nowhere near the officers, had committed no illegal act, was suspected of no crime, and did not raise the knife in the direction of Chadwick or anyone else,” Justice Sotomayor wrote, adding that only one officer had opened fire.

“Kisela alone resorted to deadly force in this case,” she wrote. “Confronted with the same circumstances as Kisela, neither of his fellow officers took that drastic measure.”

Justice Sotomayor said a jury should have been allowed to decide the case.

“Because Kisela plainly lacked any legitimate interest justifying the use of deadly force against a woman who posed no objective threat of harm to officers or others, had committed no crime, and appeared calm and collected during the police encounter,” Justice Sotomayor wrote, “he was not entitled to qualified immunity.”

Justice Sotomayor said the court’s decision in the case, Kisela v. Hughes, No. 17-467, was part of a disturbing trend of “unflinching willingness” to protect police officers accused of using excessive force.

The court’s decisions concerning qualified immunity, she wrote, “transforms the doctrine into an absolute shield for law enforcement officers.”

“Because there is nothing right or just under the law about this,” she wrote, “I respectfully dissent.”

As a Washington Post reporter put it:

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I can't recall what the prior case was regarding this (something about "clearly established rights", which meant "a court has already ruled it's bad before"), but it's not like this wasn't the obvious next step from that. They're just not trying to hide it anymore.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    So, we’re just come right out and say it’s ok for cops to gun down people in the street cause they get the willies about them

Cool. Cool cool-

Barf

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Huh.

Gorsuch was just the 5th vote in a 5-4 ruling in an opinion written by Kagan.

Think that means he has already beaten Alito's record for "breaking ranks".

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/15-1498_1b8e.pdf

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Huh.

And for anyone wanting an overview of that case, that's not in the legalese of the opinion:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/17/politics/supreme-court-federal-law-deportation-immigrants/index.html
    The Supreme Court on Tuesday invalidated a provision of federal law that requires the mandatory deportation of immigrants who have been convicted of some crimes, holding that the law is unconstitutionally vague.

The case, Sessions v. Dimaya, had been closely watched to see if the justices would reveal how they will consider the Trump administration's overall push to both limit immigration and increase deportations.

As expected after the oral argument, Justice Neil Gorsuch joined with the more liberal justices for the first time since joining the court to produce a 5-4 majority invalidating the federal statute. In doing so, Gorsuch was continuing the jurisprudence of Justice Antonin Scalia, who also sided with liberals when it came to the vagueness of statutes used to convict criminal defendants.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    That last sentence is not quite right, I think. Gorsuch agreed that the immigration statute, when defining a category of crimes a person couod be convicted of that would be grounds for deportation, was unconstitutionally vague.

The immigration statute is considered a civil statute.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Huh.

Reading legalese makes my brain hurt.

This was the "the law regarding criminal acts pertaining to immigration law is too vague to be used to expel" case?

Given that it was along otherwise partisan lines, I assume that means the SCOTUS agreed that those laws need to be better defined to apply?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Huh.

This was the "the law regarding criminal acts pertaining to immigration law is too vague to be used to expel" case?

Given that it was along otherwise partisan lines, I assume that means the SCOTUS agreed that those laws need to be better defined to apply?

Yea, it was something about "violent crimes" being the trigger but that term not being defined in anyway. That's from months ago memory though so take with some salt.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Huh.

Yeah. There was an identical clause in, iirc, the armed career criminal act that was already struck down dor tge same reason, so it would have been odd if this one had stood.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Huh.

Yeah. There was an identical clause in, iirc, the armed career criminal act that was already struck down dor tge same reason, so it would have been odd if this one had stood.

Because of the precedent this was not a tough case imo

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Huh.

Yet the four usual suspects still voted against.

And who said justice was blind?

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i know the immigration thread is on a break, but Dimaya is really good for immigrants. immigrants can be deported for committing an "aggravated felony", but how Ag Fels are defined has been wishy washy as hell. immigration judges could basically stretch it far enough to decide to deport persons even with minor criminal convictions. ending the "crime of violence" part at least narrows this wishy washiness down.

i'm genuinely surprised Gorsuch decided in this way.

and i'm gleeful as fuck that this is an L to Sessions.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Not at all surprised to see Gorsuch rule this way. It's 100% in line with his judicial philosophy and belief in limited powers.

Dude hates vagueness and overbroad statutes. This should be a signal to the Legislative to tighten up their shit or face losses.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Huh.

Lots of immigration law is super vague, though. So I wonder if this opens a door to challenge lots of immigration provisions.

• Options
    sanstodo wrote: »
    Huh.

Lots of immigration law is super vague, though. So I wonder if this opens a door to challenge lots of immigration provisions.

Could be tough still. As noted, this particular wording had precedent as being bad and was still a 5-4 decision.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Legal and policy director of the ADC. (Fights discrimination against Arab-Americans)

So... that’s a bad lawyer, right? Is it fair to say the Trump Administration has terrible lawyers and that will help stymie their agenda?

• Options
    I wasn't sure if I had misheard that when I heard the soundbite on NPR.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Legal and policy director of the ADC. (Fights discrimination against Arab-Americans)

So... that’s a bad lawyer, right? Is it fair to say the Trump Administration has terrible lawyers and that will help stymie their agenda?

maybe such a good lawyer doesn’t know shit about shit

only knows the law

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    VishNub wrote: »

Even though NK and Venezuela still definitely seem like non-muslims window dressing, I find the argument that its not a first amendment issue more compelling with version 3.

It bans a subset of muslim-majority nations (Iran, Syria, Yemen, Libya, Somalia), and two non-muslim nations (NK, Venezuela) all of whom we have threatened with or perpetrated violence upon pretty recently, so I think it's technically correct to say this list is more accurately described as: "a fairly complete list of semi-failed/hostile states that wouldn't or couldn't meet X vetting criteria" than it is "a fairly complete list of Muslim nations"

The argument I find most interesting now is that bit about POTUS only having temporary authority until Congress acts, and that they have.

Edit: Moved my question to the shiny new Immigration thread!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Taramoor wrote: »

Two ways that could go - either they genuinely don't know/care and sat down with smug satisfaction

Or their brain got ahead of their mouth and they sat down with the growing dread of someone who just let off a vile, silent fart in the elevator and hopes to get out of there before faces start wrinkling in disgust.

Archangle on
  • Options
    It was the end of him saying that the President has said things about how Muslims are great American citizens, how much he loves Muslim countries, stuff like that.

Y'know, like the extremely very few times he says those things, unconvincingly, somehow negates the incredibly large number of times he says what he actually believes.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Reading the scotusblog review of the oral arguments and I agree the travel band will likely stand, and I think it probably should. The problem is you can’t prove intent, at this point.

The argument is basically that even if trump wants a Muslim ban, there is no way to prove that in this instance there wasn’t a very real security threat. Because it’s national security, the courts don’t have the authority to demand proof, and thus the court has to accept the possibility that the right thing to do just happened to be what the racist wanted to do anyway.

There is still hope though because they also discussed what authority the president has and what the utility of the ban is. So they could rule that in principle such bans are legal, but restrict the length/prohibit repeat temporary bans as a loophole to actual law changes. Or they could require proof that something else was being done other than just temporarily stopping immigration and then starting again (which would not accomplish anything in terms of security and would thus be more likely to be implemented for racist reasons).

As a long shot they maybe could rule that current vetting is sufficient and therefore the ban is illegal. But I’m betting the uphold with some provisions. Which probably means more shitty/arbitrary restrictions on visa granting and less immigration, but such is life when you elect nationalists to every branch.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Or they could do the right thing, overturn Korematsu, and state plainly that the president cannot use "national defense" as an excuse to violate equal protection.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Or they could do the right thing, overturn Korematsu, and state plainly that the president cannot use "national defense" as an excuse to violate equal protection.

With this court?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

With this court?

I'm not saying it's likely, but they could, in theory!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Christ, this is tragic.

"What's the statute of limitations on [the president being a virulent racist who expressly stated that the reason behind this policy was the satisfaction of his desire to harm people he sees as subhuman]?"

This fucking court.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What is the answer to the argument that if the intent was to ban Muslims, the travel ban as it stands is woefully inadequate? So much so that it can't barely be seen as a Muslim ban?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    What is the answer to the argument that if the intent was to ban Muslims, the travel ban as it stands is woefully inadequate? So much so that it can't barely be seen as a Muslim ban?

Being a bad attempt doesn't make something constitutional.

If his argument is that his attempt was to prevent terrorism, the ban is vastly worse at that than messing with Muslims.

This discussion has been closed.