Options

The old [Giant Bomb] thread!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Ceno wrote: »
    kansas really did a number on dan

I think the "cool guys doing cool stuff" aspect of his interests may be the most grating thing about him

But every super hero movie is "cool guys doing cool stuff." His active dislike of marvel movies is baffling to me.

They usually aren't gritty in the way that action movies are though.

There is a lot separating something like Ant Man and John Wick.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    kansas really did a number on dan

I think the "cool guys doing cool stuff" aspect of his interests may be the most grating thing about him

But every super hero movie is "cool guys doing cool stuff." His active dislike of marvel movies is baffling to me.

“Cool guys doing cool stuff” translates into someone using a Gatling gun to shred thousands of mooks into hamburger with no meaning or morality behind it. Just killin’ bad guys because they what need killin’ on account of being Evil. So since most Marvel characters don’t really go around doing that and try to talk about deeper subjects at least on a relatively superficial blockbustery kind of level, I get why he doesn’t like them.

Good guys should be just as idiotic as bad guys and whoever gets top billing is the hero of the movie regardless of actual stance.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Yes but there's not a lot separating your average marvel movie and, say last action hero, which Dan loves.

Dan is just a baffling person to me.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Marvel is popular

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yes but there's not a lot separating your average marvel movie and, say last action hero, which Dan loves.
    That's a poor example, because Last Action Hero is to late 80s/early 90s action movies what Galaxy Quest is to Star Trek. They are so not the same thing.

Glal on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I really hope they change that back on infinite, it really isn’t fun when there’s no variety.

I watched infinite nonstop for the entire time it’s been out, but I turned it off on Friday.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Also, I continue to not look to Dan for movie suggestions:
    I had been considering seeing Thor: Ragnarok or Captain America: Winter Soldier, but I think Homecoming might be the one that finally makes me stop giving these movies a chance.

But Winter Soldier is pretty much MGS?!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    sometimes I wonder if Dan thinks he's like the next Andy Kaufman or something.

keeping up that aggressive rube persona seems like it would be so exhausting

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Chat in GB infinite every time a poll comes up is glorious.

I hope by the time I get back from work in the morning that it's still going.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    sometimes I wonder if Dan thinks he's like the next Andy Kaufman or something.

keeping up that aggressive rube persona seems like it would be so exhausting

I think he just didn't like the movie.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Come on this review can't be that bad..
    Batman would be cooler if he actually killed bad guys

...ok Dan.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Spiderman homecoming had a lot to not like in it. It turned out pretty ok, but I don't see this as having any amount of weight that wouldnt prevent sony from being petty and reverting to a new reboot soon. Yes, even with him getting placed into marvel's main projects.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Homecoming was fine, at best.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    And here I thought homecoming was fantastic and easily the best Spider-Man in a Spider-Man movie. Dan thinking batman would be cooler if batman killed people is a pretty good sentence to sum up why I think Dan is nuts sometimes.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Dan is a guy who can be pretty funny and entertaining and whose opinion on anything I give no weight whatsoever.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Dan is a guy who can be pretty funny and entertaining and whose opinion on anything I give no weight whatsoever.

Humor is super subjective, so grain of salt, different strokes, etc. I just don't see the funny with Dan.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Dan and Vinny being given a game that sucks for a Quick Look has been a proven formula for lots of hilarity.

I'm not sure which one I like most of the Drawn to Death, Bequest, and Bubsy Trilogy of Shit but they are all great.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Humor is super subjective, so grain of salt, different strokes, etc. I just don't see the funny with Dan.

I mean don't get me wrong, there's a reason I said can be funny, not is funny. A lot of his schtick rubs me the wrong way too, for sure.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    They just finished MGS4, moving onto the three hour Peace Walker video

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    They just finished MGS4, moving onto the three hour Peace Walker video

the three hour peace walker video was just on there saturday... please save giant bomb infinite from itself :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    And so it ends...400 AM on Monday Ground Zeroes Pt1 lost to a solo QL of something called Montague's Mount?!?!?!?

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    And so it ends...

Kept you waiting, huh?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I actually watched and voted for a couple of MGS4 videos (10 or 11 through 13). I had nothing better to do yesterday afternoon and they were really entertaining. That said, 40+ hours of MGS videos is just ridiculous. The chat and mods were less than appreciative of people who said they only came by/checked in to vote but not to actually watch the videos.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Yeah...if Infinite whets someone's appetite for one of the longer running series, they can just go and watch the rest on their own sans captive audience.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The captive audience part makes it a very kojima experience.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    If a lot of the people aren't even watching the videos and just voting that is a real dick move. Like putting a 20 in a jukebox and filling it with music you aren't going to be around to hear because you're about to leave anyway.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    fdeqf4iwujzt.png

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It is funny when Dan shows how ignorant he is and the group makes fun of him.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    If a lot of the people aren't even watching the videos and just voting that is a real dick move. Like putting a 20 in a jukebox and filling it with music you aren't going to be around to hear because you're about to leave anyway.

Does that count as the Klepek Maneuver or does that require one to stick around?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Patrick Klepek has kind of dropped off the radar.

I liked Spookin' with Scoops.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    He's over at waypoint.zone doing a fair bit there

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    I actually watched and voted for a couple of MGS4 videos (10 or 11 through 13). I had nothing better to do yesterday afternoon and they were really entertaining. That said, 40+ hours of MGS videos is just ridiculous. The chat and mods were less than appreciative of people who said they only came by/checked in to vote but not to actually watch the videos.

the thing about gbi for me, was before, if the chat picked something you didn't want to watch or had already seen, meh, just turn it off and watch some other videos for a while, no big deal. it'll be something new in a few hours. but this marathon thing just leads to it being the same thing for days and days.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I could readily see some sort of "you must have been watching for x amount of time to vote for the next video" thing resolving the troll voters

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

the thing about gbi for me, was before, if the chat picked something you didn't want to watch or had already seen, meh, just turn it off and watch some other videos for a while, no big deal. it'll be something new in a few hours. but this marathon thing just leads to it being the same thing for days and days.

For what it's worth, Will's confirmed that it was due to one or more parties using an exploit to ensure that MGS won. Russian bots etc...

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Hey guys FYI, this weekend it seems like someone found a way to vote multiple times. I've just pushed a fix for that so it should no longer be a problem. Apologies for the issue, sounds like you had to endure a lot of metal gear this weekend as a result

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Its funny that someone found that exploit and just used it for an MGS marathon.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    ASG continues to be the best podcast on the site. Man, I love the Beastcast, but that Dan+Jeff combo is pretty good too. I still love to listen to that Terminator discussion. Or the Remake of a RE:Make.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ASG continues to be the best podcast on the site. Man, I love the Beastcast, but that Dan+Jeff combo is pretty good too. I still love to listen to that Terminator discussion. Or the Remake of a RE:Make.

It's funny because in that Terminator discussion, I'm Dan and Jeff is my brother, and the ages kind line up right, so I'm wondering if it might be an age thing. My theory is that people who were really young when T2 came out were basically oblivious to the whiny brat John Conner stuff and just enjoyed the awesome action movie for what it is; people who were a little older though were super turned off by the annoying kid character and watching the Terminator pal around with him.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

For what it's worth, Will's confirmed that it was due to one or more parties using an exploit to ensure that MGS won. Russian bots etc...

Will was basically asking for this to happen when he said on last weeks UPF/Labo stream that his big fear with infinite is something breaking on it going into the weekend

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1