As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i thought TAAO got canceled because they wanted the writer to take the story in a specific direction and she said no? i don't really follow any comic industry stuff at all, i just read the collected stuff and that's about it.

i wonder what the old gears comics sold compared to now. gears really does have potential as a universe but if shit tanks like this i doubt we'll see anything. i wish one of the toy companies other than mcfarlane would take a stab at making toys again. NECA figures were fine, but i'd love to see one of the higher end companies make a corpser or brumak. or even just remake some of the characters since it is prohibitively expensive to get them now. i have a skorge from years ago, but after i read this comic i have a feeling i'm going to want raam and yeah...he can be pricey.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    i thought TAAO got canceled because they wanted the writer to take the story in a specific direction and she said no? i don't really follow any comic industry stuff at all, i just read the collected stuff and that's about it.

I looked into this to makes sure I wasn't talking out of my ass, and it appears that while the book was selling enough to remain viable, IDW wanted it to sell more, hence them pushing the writer towards a new direction, which they hoped would increase sales.

Which would fit with IDW wanting to finish up their current TF lines so they can move onto new ideas that are, hopefully, more profitable.
    i wonder what the old gears comics sold compared to now.

Luckily comic sales going back to 1997 are handily available online.

October - Gears of War #1 - 19,715
    November - #2 - 12,961
    December - #3 - 12,093

February - #4 - 12,862
    March - #5 - 11,392
    April - #6 - 11,505
    May - #7 - 9,955
    June - Gears of War Sourcebook #0 - 5,616
    July - #8 - 9,362
    July - #9 - 9,003
    November - #10 - 8,062

January - #11 - 7,157
    June - #12 - 6,165
    August - #13 - 5,962
    October - #14 - 5,204
    December - #15 - 4,709

March - #16 - 4,719
    June - #17 - 4,652
    July - #18 - 4,327
    #19 - ????
    #20 - ????
    December - #21 - 4,374

February - #22 - 4,185
    April - #23 - 4,024
    June - #24 - 3,944

Man, that had a garbage release schedule, no wonder its sales plummeted so far. Also strangely I could not find any data on issues 19 and 20.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If you're on the hunt for the Flaming Omen weapon skins for the achievement, there's an event going on now that will offer up the last 3 weapons in the set.

Two challenges are live (win 10, complete 10) in either social TDM or a special 2v2 TDM that they have going until May 14.
    Why do the challenges count in Social TDM you ask? It’s a quirk of our stat tracking that allowed us to enable these Challenges in time for the event. If you prefer to get them that way, we won’t stop you.

Full details here.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    i don't have the tweet handy but apparently BTTE (2v2) had issues and they have to change the respawn format to TDM from whatever it was

• Options
    edited May 2018
    kind of happy it broke, tbh.

though getting 10 wins in social TDM where everybody is going to get those 10 wins has proven to be difficult.

edit: me and the bots/first timers vs multi-re-up mcLifer is just not fun. I have until Thursday though... so... yay?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Gears of War 5, along with a slew of other titles, alledgedly got leaked by Walmarts canada site. Take that with a grain of salt though, as they also leaked Rage 2 (what?) And Forza Horizon 5 (Impressive, as they haven't even announced Horizon 4 yet.)

• Options
    The gears of war 4 esports scene actually surprised me. I'm watching this video for the skin people are like... watching it to watch it?

also all of the spanish is being spoken in the chat.

• Options
    The gears of war 4 esports scene actually surprised me. I'm watching this video for the skin people are like... watching it to watch it?

also all of the spanish is being spoken in the chat.

gears is pretty popular in mexico

• Options
    Horde mania sounds really fun

HORDE MANIA
    Our latest Horde event arrives on Friday, May 11th with a brand new variant and two new Midnight Omen Weapon Skins to collect! For the first weekend of its availability, we’ll also be turning on Double XP in this playlist.

Horde Mania is 25 waves of brutal nonstop mayhem. In this new Horde variant, enemies just keep on coming with no setup time between waves – and if that wasn’t tough enough, the Feral Horde wave format is packed full of aggressive enemies. Be fast, be efficient, be deadly.

Every 25 wave session you complete on Normal or Insane will drop either the never-before-released Midnight Omen Markza Mk.1 or Hammerburst! These skins will only be available until May 22nd so grab them while you can. If you're looking to bolster your Horde Skills, the pay-only Horde Expert Pack will be 50% throughout the weekend!

• Options
    edited May 2018
    that sounds fun and horrible at the same time. D:

edit: though at least you can do it on normal and insane!

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I just wanted to pop in and say that the PC edition being a 127gb download is a travesty, a PC gaming war crime that has been forgotten since I installed it at release. What the hell were they thinking?

Okay, back to your regular programming.

• Options
    I just wanted to pop in and say that the PC edition being a 127gb download is a travesty, a PC gaming war crime that has been forgotten since I installed it at release. What the hell were they thinking?

This game has over 30 multiplayer maps and 4k textures.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

Truly it is on par with the the Bombing of Guernica, the Americans in the Indochina War, the NATO invasion of Iraq, and the Drone War in Pakistan.

I would like to give that Horde Mania a try, as hilariously rusty as I must be.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I was thinking about getting some gears in and this sounds like a good time to do it.

Magell on
  • Options
    I tried this yesterday. It's fairly intense, even for normal.

• Options
    was able to get the omen marzka! woo...

one more time for the other gun.

• Options
    edited May 2018

Normally I'd think this was worthy of making fun of, but the more I thought about it, the more it pisses me off.

You fucks killed Anya, an established character who's been there since the first fucking game, off screen in-between Gears 3 and 4 just so J.D. and Marcus would have a reason for growing distant.

Marcus' own mom had the same role in the books (despite being the one to fucking DISCOVER the Locust, even though she'll never get credit for that.)

Maria being tortured, lobotomized and having to be euthanized was a big plot point in Gears 2.

Most of Gears 4 is trying to rescue Kait's mother, only for Kait to have to euthanize her too. Also, Raina's mother is probably
    The locust queen, so that's another dead mom

There literally isn't a alive named character right now in the Gears franchise who is a mother.

:razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Played some Competitive Warmup yesterday to get my feet wet before trying to play ranked competitive. I won both games, but the second game was crazy long. We were doing Team Deathmatch on the abandoned train station (?) and the first two rounds stalemated, which then went to a 1-1 5 round overtime, which I then won with 4 lives left with back to back Gnasher kills.

Multiplayer is still wicked fun, I just wish there were more of a player base in it.

• Options
    I don't think I've ever run into a problem finding matches in this game against unique opponents, within minutes.

Do you mean you wish there was more of a player base on the competitive aka "marathon match" playlist?

• Options
    I'm frequently matched with gold teir and bronze teir players (I'm silver tier) and lots and lots of qualifying match players as well (I'm amazed there as many as there are) which leads me to suspect there just aren't a lot of players playing.

• Options
    I actually couldn't find a competitive executions match last night after searching for five minutes. Then I switched to competitive warm up and found one almost immediately. I just figured that there weren't that many people playing online, period. Is there a place that does online stats like Battlefront/Battlefield?

• Options
    I would assume the majority of the player base is in escalation as that is the mode the coalition is pushing. That or the weapon swap one.

• Options
    I would assume the majority of the player base is in escalation as that is the mode the coalition is pushing. That or the weapon swap one.

Got it, I'll try that next time. I thought Execution was the classic one.

• Options

Got it, I'll try that next time. I thought Execution was the classic one.

it is (was?), but it has been displaced competitively by escalation. fair warning though it is long games take a while to end unless one team is notably better. plus it is Bo13 (first to 7 round wins)

• Options
    Weird. I was hoping for just competitive TDM, but I guess I'll just adapt to whatever is the most popular.

• Options
    Weird. I was hoping for just competitive TDM, but I guess I'll just adapt to whatever is the most popular.

You'll need a poopsock for those escalation matches. :P

• Options
  • Options
    Yet another set of achievements is being rolled out
    DeYrBjoVAAAACKL.jpg

Okay, that's pretty good.

• Options
    *dies a little on the inside as his achievement completion percentage gets hit again from this game* @_@

Might have to start working through MCC to offset this game.

• Options
    Buckle up, buttercups. E3 might be a little wild

• Options
    ....that seems like a lot.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    ....that seems like a lot.

I'm 99% positive the RTS idea is just fan speculation. And that the "BR" game won't actually be a "BR" game, but will have some sort of multiplayer focus.

• Options
    i could definitely see battle royale existing in the next gears. it feels like something that would be forced in

• Options
    Battle Royle could be slotted into the Gears universe really easily, and it's all the rage so of course every company ever made is going to jump on it.

A true sequel AND an RTS? I'd be down for either honestly.

• Options
    While GoW's third-person shooter mechanics are second to none, I always thought the engagement ranges are much too short to make BR practical.

On the other hand, I don't really care for Battlegrounds and suck at Fortnite, so what the hell do I know? GoW4 was an excellent sequel that rekindled my love for the franchise after it fell off my radar, so I'd probably pre-order GoW5 shortly after its announcement.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I played fortnite exactly once and it was excruciatingly boring that I...well I don't have a funny anecdote to attach to it because it was so damn boring

I sincerely hope they don't waste time on a battle Royale mode, or heaven forbid cut something a dually fun for it, but let's be real. We all know it is coming. The thing is I would be fine if for example they made a deal to get general raam and Carmine or something as skins in fortnite. But I'm coming to gears for specific experiences, I would go to pubg or whatever if I wanted something else. I don't have a problem with people enjoying it or those things existing but I don't want them.

I would love an RTS but that seems like something that gets trotted out annually during rumor season and never happens. That being said it would fit the setting.

Edit: I think going to an RTS or even another genre (an RPG or whatever) would be an interesting take. Whereas battle Royale feels like it is simply a game mode. One that seems really overrated. If they stuff that into the next gears title that's fine I guess. Honestly I'll probably play it because a gears coat of paint will sucker me in

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    A game like Halo 5 (and the whole franchise) is masterful at throwing you gobs and gobs of excellent (and sometimes just okay) multiplayer modes and never having battle royale. GoW4 isn't isn't as robust when it comes to modes, though it still beats out most third-person shooters pretty easily.

Granted, Halo also features a uniquely huge toolset. It can afford to say, "Yeah, fuck battle royale. Put your own goddamn battle royale in the game. We're more interested in combining Little Big Planet, Labo, and Super Mario Maker into one." Presumably we're not getting a Forges of War addition, so I can see the pressure on the Coalition to grab on along with everyone else. Fortnite's success over PUBG does suggest that a game that wasn't exclusively (and exclusively limited to) battle royale can still usurp the top position. That leads me to expect it as an addition in Gears of War 5 and not a discounted-price standalone, but there are so many other things that would influence that decision.

• Options
    I'm not sure what is sparking it, but there sure are a lot of people whining about current gears and pining for gears 1 multiplayer. Don't get me wrong I loved gears 1, it obviously got me into well all of this. However I don't want to ever go back to the nonsense wall bouncing.

Usually after any sort of patch where the coalition mentions that they "listened to feedback" people lose their minds over the statement. "Who are they talking to?! No REAL fan prefers this over wall bouncing!" And I just quietly close twitter.

So I guess thank you people who keep buying gears packs or however coalition is collecting feedback because I enjoyed gears 2 more than 1, 3 more than 2 and maybe this gears is better than 3 for me. Not sure yet but it is a lot of fun

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure what is sparking it, but there sure are a lot of people whining about current gears and pining for gears 1 multiplayer. Don't get me wrong I loved gears 1, it obviously got me into well all of this. However I don't want to ever go back to the nonsense wall bouncing.

Usually after any sort of patch where the coalition mentions that they "listened to feedback" people lose their minds over the statement. "Who are they talking to?! No REAL fan prefers this over wall bouncing!" And I just quietly close twitter.

So I guess thank you people who keep buying gears packs or however coalition is collecting feedback because I enjoyed gears 2 more than 1, 3 more than 2 and maybe this gears is better than 3 for me. Not sure yet but it is a lot of fun

It's not a perfect analogy, but it does sound a lot like the people who pinned for the framerate-butchering chain-explosion-grenades in Halo multiplayer. "Real Halo multiplayer has chain grenades! You need that element of chaos! Without it, it's not Halo!"

I mean, it was amusing at the time, and I loved the original Halo multiplayer.....but you get those some people raging on Twitter. I should learn not to look.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2018

The thing is, the people who are happy with Gears as it is aren't complaining about gears as it is. So you'll really only see that stuff... Gears as it is currently has a strong following in non-English speaking areas.

What The Coalition sees however is that continued money coming in, that eSports scene (which seems to be larger outside the States) and other stuff.

They are also less likely to engage communities where the zeits are negative (eg: Gears Reddit). Karma systems discourage dissenting opinion because they are abused.

tastydonuts on