Options

[Mueller Thread] Special Counsel investigation, Russian election interference, collusion

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    But it wasn't on the follow-ups on page 9. The contradictions of the Nunes memo were all front page news for quite a few news agencies such as CNN, CBS, ABC, NYT, Washington Post, etc.

Edit: And even with all of this stuff, this is going with the idea that there is even anything to doctor. The same people whose words were doctored by the Nunes memo had no problem speaking up about it when they tried to feed everyone the info on that. If there is an investigation into the FBI about this, it will come out the same. If they try to twist the FBI's words, the FBI will contradict them, and then we end up with more documents getting released just like with the Nunes memo.

never die on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/us/politics/mueller-trump-obstruction-september-giuliani.html
    Mueller Plans to Wrap Up Obstruction Inquiry Into Trump by Sept. 1, Giuliani Says
    WASHINGTON — The special counsel plans to finish by Sept. 1 its investigation into whether President Trump obstructed the Russia inquiry, according to the president’s lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, who said on Sunday that waiting any longer would risk improperly influencing voters in the midterm elections in November.
    “You don’t want another repeat of the 2016 election where you get contrary reports at the end and you don’t know how it affected the election,” Mr. Giuliani said.
    September would be amazingly soon

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This can absolutely backfire if someone is appointed that ends up just unearthing more misconduct by the campaign.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Is this the same Mueller who told Giuliani that the president can't be indicted?

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Another instance of STOP TALKING RUDY

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/20/us/politics/mueller-trump-obstruction-september-giuliani.html
    Mueller Plans to Wrap Up Obstruction Inquiry Into Trump by Sept. 1, Giuliani Says
    WASHINGTON — The special counsel plans to finish by Sept. 1 its investigation into whether President Trump obstructed the Russia inquiry, according to the president’s lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, who said on Sunday that waiting any longer would risk improperly influencing voters in the midterm elections in November.
    “You don’t want another repeat of the 2016 election where you get contrary reports at the end and you don’t know how it affected the election,” Mr. Giuliani said.

Giuliani has said a number of things.

Quid on
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Personally, I cannot believe anything Giuliani says about the investigation. The magnitude of the conflicts of interest are too great.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Is this the same Mueller who told Giuliani that the president can't be indicted?

Also probably the same sources insisting it would be over by last November.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    As far as I’m concerned, Mueller can take all the time he needs. If Trump and Co. did in fact obstruct justice (they did) then it’s not improper interference in an election. Improper interference would be making up charges wholesale to swing the election. Investigating the glowing orange spot with smoke pouring out to see if there’s fire is wholly rational.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

We know exactly how that shit affected the election, Rudy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Justice is caving and investigating themselves for the most comically incompetent political hit job ever. Woo rule of law!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I don't know how this actually works in a legal sense, but you can't prosecute someone for reporting activities they believe may be a crime to criminal investigators can you?

Snitches get stitches is for 12 year olds and mafia families.

Trump doesn't seem to understand that just because you pick people to lead these departments doesn't mean you now own them. You may have the top guy, but any investigation is going to be done by people who are public servants that are at least a little sick of his shit at this point I'd hope.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I feel like it's a legitimate failure of journalism to be like "Rudy Giuliani, the person who is visibly coming apart at the seams and has repeatedly lied about everything he can manage to lie about and then used a different lie to deflect that earlier lie... has said [thing]. Could it be true?"

Probably not, folks. I'm surprised we haven't seen articles saying like "Special Counsel Mueller thinks that Rudy Giuliani is a really special and fun guy who's a blast at parties and definitely not weird according to Rudy Giuliani."

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I feel like it's a legitimate failure of journalism to be like "Rudy Giuliani, the person who is visibly coming apart at the seams and has repeatedly lied about everything he can manage to lie about and then used a different lie to deflect that earlier lie... has said [thing]. Could it be true?"

Probably not, folks. I'm surprised we haven't seen articles saying like "Special Counsel Mueller thinks that Rudy Giuliani is a really special and fun guy who's a blast at parties and definitely not weird according to Rudy Giuliani."

To be fair, the main thing Giuliani has been remarkable for so far in the Trump administration has been, beyond all reason, stating true things everyone else had been denying.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

To be fair, the main thing Giuliani has been remarkable for so far in the Trump administration has been, beyond all reason, stating true things everyone else had been denying.

Ha, that's a fair point.

But he's been doing this like "I swear the guy who definitely has no reason to talk to me and also by any reasonable assumption probably equal parts despises and pities me told me this secret thing!" about Mueller for a while and it's so transparently BS I'm annoyed it's getting uncritical coverage.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Giuliani is maybe trying to talk about the investigation going dark for the actual election season. I mean, tomorrow he's going to say something else when called out on it not being his call to make, but then in the fall when the investigation does go quiet for the sake of the midterms, he's going to stomp around declaring victory or some shit because that's the kind of asshole he is. "The other team got off the field at half time! THAT MEANS WE WIN"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The investigation doesn't have to go dark. They hardly say or do anything. It's the subject that keeps reminding people about it in new and creative ways.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Personally, I cannot believe anything Giuliani says about the investigation. The magnitude of the conflicts of interest are too great.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Washington Post reporter:

Axios reporter:

And if there are body snatchers replacing people with copies of them, we need to know about it and take appropriate action.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    The problem is, the media either seem conflicted as to whether he's a liar, or whether he's senile. And completely ignoring the fact that he's completely unfit for his position, just like his President. Because they're concerned that they'll be seen as "biased".

You're not biased if you report the truth. But balance is more important than the truth now. Because everything's partisan.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I don't know how this actually works in a legal sense, but you can't prosecute someone for reporting activities they believe may be a crime to criminal investigators can you?

Snitches get stitches is for 12 year olds and mafia families.

Trump doesn't seem to understand that just because you pick people to lead these departments doesn't mean you now own them. You may have the top guy, but any investigation is going to be done by people who are public servants that are at least a little sick of his shit at this point I'd hope.

I seriously can't imagine that there are that many people that tend to the day to day affairs of government that are still thrilled by trump's presence in the whitehouse; he's effectively screwed them over with shitty leadership and appointing people that are grossly unqualified for the positions that they hold.

So no, these people aren't going to play ball.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular

Axios reporter:

And if there are body snatchers replacing people with copies of them, we need to know about it and take appropriate action.

god damnit, the media will love this narrative. BALANCE!

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I think I'm misunderstanding things, but let me see. There was a CI that had been a CI and just ended in the trump campaign right? He wasn't assigned by the FBI or anything, he's just been an informant over the years and when came across wrongdoing kept informing the FBI? Or do I have this all wrong?

• Options

Axios reporter:

This had nothing to do with FISA. It was the FBI using an informant.

I can't help but wonder if maybe this announcement was more about someone being tired of getting badgered and totally promising to go check in the back for the violations Trump thinks happened.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Axios reporter:

This had nothing to do with FISA. It was the FBI using an informant.

I can't help but wonder if maybe this announcement was more about someone being tired of getting badgered and totally promising to go check in the back for the violations Trump thinks happened.

I like to think that is the case.

The alternative is not something I enjoy contemplating.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I find it extremely unlikely that Rosenstein is hoping to help Trump by starting a phony investigation.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Axios reporter:

With how hard they're pushing this, and how much projection they usually have, I wouldn't even be surprised if someone had gone full Watergate here

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    they're probably trying to fruit of poisoned tree all of mueller's evidence which doesn't quite work that way but they'll try anyway

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    The most positive interpretation is that Rosenstein is placating the toddler to buy Mueller enough time to finish, but still it's not a great situation.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The most positive interpretation is that Rosenstein is placating the toddler to buy Mueller enough time to finish, but still it's not a great situation.

Yeah, this seems like they are doing the absolute least they can to try and look like they did something. Basically some vague words about an already ongoing thing doing something about this too.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    https://nytimes.com/2018/05/20/us/politics/mueller-trump-obstruction-september-giuliani.html
    Mr. Trump’s lawyers said the special counsel had no basis to build an obstruction case based on Mr. Comey’s firing because the president was free as the head of the executive branch to dismiss any subordinates.

I don't get this. Almost all public corruption laws include public officials doing things using their granted powers. This would literally mean giving a congressperson money explicitly as an agreed upon bribe to vote a certain way would be legal.

Couscous on
  • Options
    https://nytimes.com/2018/05/20/us/politics/mueller-trump-obstruction-september-giuliani.html
    Mr. Trump’s lawyers said the special counsel had no basis to build an obstruction case based on Mr. Comey’s firing because the president was free as the head of the executive branch to dismiss any subordinates.

I don't get this. Almost all public corruption laws include public officials doing things using their granted powers. This would literally mean giving a congressperson money explicitly as an agreed upon bribe to vote a certain way would be legal.

Give Roberts and Kennedy a couple years.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

He didn't say this September.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It was almost guaranteed that it would be given to the OIG. That's perfectly fine, cause there won't be anything

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It was almost guaranteed that it would be given to the OIG. That's perfectly fine, cause there won't be anything

That doesn't actually matter. The president cannot order DoJ to investigate his political opponents based on what his propaganda network says.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

At will employment means the CEO is free to dismiss any subordinate. Unless they do it for explicitly illegal reasons. Like getting pregnant. Firing the head if the FBI for investigating your illegal activities is obstructing the investigation and thus justice. This isn't hard.

moniker on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

That doesn't actually matter. The president cannot order DoJ to investigate his political opponents based on what his propaganda network says.

What's so funny about this is that I'm pretty sure the last thing Trump needs is for these sort of rocks to be turned over and the underworkings of these decisions exposed. The reason people were investigating your campaign Donald, is because of all the shady shit your people were getting up to. I don't think you want a Justice timeline of said shady doings laid out for the press.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

What's so funny about this is that I'm pretty sure the last thing Trump needs is for these sort of rocks to be turned over and the underworkings of these decisions exposed. The reason people were investigating your campaign Donald, is because of all the shady shit your people were getting up to. I don't think you want a Justice timeline of said shady doings laid out for the press.

That's what the Mueller investigation is!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This is just feeding into the existing right wing narrative of deep state corruption. Any "evidence" they find is going to be either "this guy in the FBI thinks Trump is a fucking idiot" or "this guy is a Democrat" or "this guy donated money to Obama" and that's sufficient to bleat about political motivation. Because that's already what they're doing.

The goal is to motivate their base to show up at the polls by perpetuating the witch hunt narrative, because that's how they survive this. If the GOP keeps Congress, all this goes away and Trump suffers no consequences. Poisoning public opinion is their only move here, and that's what their bullshit investigation is trying to do.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    They seem very provoked by the fact the FBI is only largely Republican rather than completely Republican. They seem to regard Democrats as existing on sufferance. If a Democrat does anything more powerful than running an artisanal brewery, they start screaming “bias!”

This discussion has been closed.