As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mumm-Wha?!

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Mumm-Wha?!

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Wait, what? Is there another new Thundercats?

The reboot that happened a few years ago was quite good and they cancelled it, why would they go back to that well again so soon?

(edit:) Oh lord, just looked it up... there are no words for the sheer, disgusting evil being perpetrated here...

And from the SJW-stereotype fucktard with the ridiculous top-ponytail in the video: "I think Thundercats lends itself to comedy". Yeah, and I bet you think a participation trophy is a good thing, too... idiot. :x

Jakk Frost on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jakk Frost wrote: »

The reboot that happened a few years ago was quite good and they cancelled it, why would they go back to that well again so soon?

Cartoon Network (I think?) is rebooting it again.

Also, perfect "in a nutshell" strip for the internet.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I hate this comic for bringing this thing to my attention. It looks hideous.

Some context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afaithTQSaI&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    This strip pisses me off.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yes. This strip is about the literal entire internet.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    dennis wrote: »
    This strip pisses me off.

I'm pissed off that this strip pissed you off.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    As long as the reboot is a crass toy commercial only designed to get kids slavering for playthings, then I'm on-board with it. Anything else, and it's not the Thundercats™ I grew up with.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That new version does look very bad but I am very much not the target audience.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Someone edit this comic to say Star Wars in place of Thundercats so I can post it in the Star Wars thread about every week or so

• Options
    TigrerojoTigrerojo Registered User regular
    And from the SJW-stereotype fucktard with the ridiculous top-ponytail in the video: "I think Thundercats lends itself to comedy". Yeah, and I bet you think a participation trophy is a good thing, too... idiot. :x

Really, bro? We finally got an issue, a common enemy, for all of the internet to join against, and you are trying to make it political? Not cool...

• Options

I think you're on the wrong forum, son.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I've come to realize they aren't selling me my childhood shows back to me, they are selling them to my son and this makes me SO ANGRY RAWWRRRRR

Or I don't really care because seriously thundercats? Now you fucking touch Exosquad you sons of bitches...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    All I remember about Thundercats is a kid is that I could have given a fuck about Liono (spelling?) and thought Cheetarah (sp?) was much cooler because she had an extendy pole

• Options
    I don't think I even watched the show really. Now TMNT, darkwing duck, duck tales, talespin, these are shows I remember more. TMNT has been redid like its entire existence, darkwing is supposedly in the works and the remade duck tales is supposedly pretty good. Don't think Talespin is making a come back.

There was also the first really good seasons of the Real Ghostbusters. But like all of these shows are on dvd or blu ray so I don't get the anger at newer versions? Other than we've become our parents complaining about movie remakes and song remakes and damn kids on lawns.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Second try at posting...
    This is strip is pretty spot on, though it probably needs more non-related pejoratives sprinkled in to be true internet debate.
    As to the new Thundercats, I agree with the first panel guy. I really, really can't get into whatever style this is called. The non-sequitur, A.D.H.D composition approach is insufferable to me too.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I guess I'll be the first to say, "enh, looks fine to me." Seems like they're kind of going a Teen Titans route.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I can understand that people are tired of this art-style and of silly TTG-esque stuff. For my part I have no nostalgia for the Thundercats - never saw the original and so I didn’t care in the slightest about the remake. So I'm definitely not the target audience for another one, whatever form it takes. Maybe the show will be good on its own merits. I haven't got any desire to check it out though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Oh, so it's like a comedy reboot in some kind of Adventure Timey artstyle. Hmm, could be good. I'll check it out if it shows up on Netflix.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CovarrCovarr Registered User regular
    I didn't care about the original, and I am thoroughly ambivalent about the new one.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I've come to realize they aren't selling me my childhood shows back to me, they are selling them to my son and this makes me SO ANGRY RAWWRRRRR

Or I don't really care because seriously thundercats? Now you fucking touch Exosquad you sons of bitches...

I would be down for whatever they want to do with an Exosquad reboot if it somehow put the old toys back into production. I would love to be able to buy those toys I so desperately wanted when I was a kid...

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I would be down for whatever they want to do with an Exosquad reboot if it somehow put the old toys back into production. I would love to be able to buy those toys I so desperately wanted when I was a kid...

Oh my god yes, I had a couple of those toys and they were freaking awesome.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    My neighbor had a ton of them... he was a stingy dick when it came to sharing, though :(

I wrote down the ones I wanted for christmas a couple times, but my mom never got them... I should ask her why she hated me so much back then. :P

• Options
    They had cool missile firing and everything. I remember one of the terran ones I had had like four missiles on one arm and you like lowered the arm to fire them. so cool.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

man i wish someone would touch Exosquad

wait let me rephrase

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    I wonder if Exosquad holds up. I remember thinking it was the most amazing and epic cartoon ever.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yes. This strip is about the literal entire internet.

Between this and Fuckwad Theory the PA boys really are great at distilling the internet down a very simple and accurate essence.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I really don't get the hate this new cartoon gets, why do people think that it somehow worsens the original somehow? I mean, if you've ever tried re-watching the originals now, you'd see they were pretty bad, but specially crafted for the late 80's child.

I really really don't get it, how is this worsening your life so that you have to be so angry about something clearly marketed for kids today? I've even read the "But kids deserve to have good quality art" argument, completely ignoring that "art" is subjective. If I'm a really hardcore Thundercats fan I'll just watch the originals then.

Heck, doesn't everyone also love the TMNT cartoon? Wasn't it some dark/violent comic before it was cartoonized and made kid-friendly? Why isn't everyone really mad about that? Just in general feels like a "Get off my lawn!" thing all around.

• Options
    thepuregamerthepuregamer Registered User regular
    TBH, what they've done here with Thundercats is not as horrific as what was done to Reboot by netflix.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Cartoon Network (I think?) is rebooting it again.

Also, perfect "in a nutshell" strip for the internet.

If anyone wants people to blame for this monstrosity, the line of people who watch and like Teen Titans Go isnt very far.

I get that different styles exist. This is just...bad.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I like Teen Titans Go. I don't watch it regularly, though.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I really don't get the hate this new cartoon gets, why do people think that it somehow worsens the original somehow? I mean, if you've ever tried re-watching the originals now, you'd see they were pretty bad, but specially crafted for the late 80's child.

I really really don't get it, how is this worsening your life so that you have to be so angry about something clearly marketed for kids today? I've even read the "But kids deserve to have good quality art" argument, completely ignoring that "art" is subjective. If I'm a really hardcore Thundercats fan I'll just watch the originals then.

Heck, doesn't everyone also love the TMNT cartoon? Wasn't it some dark/violent comic before it was cartoonized and made kid-friendly? Why isn't everyone really mad about that? Just in general feels like a "Get off my lawn!" thing all around.

The limit of my hate is watching ten seconds of a trailer and thinking "huh, that doesn't look good". I'm in my 30s now, Thundercats does not and should not impact my life.

• Options
    For me I've never really gotten the "get upset about something you can choose not to watch." Like plenty of shows, movies, internet blah, doesn't look entertaining so I don't watch it? I mean its not to say I haven't watched a bad movie or tv show and commented "It wasn't enjoyable" but that's like the end of it for me, I don't like diagram what I didn't like and highlight everything wrong with it, who does that?

I could see a bad game causing more issues especially one you were excited about, but then it failed in execution, that also carries a higher price tag than a tv or a movie and more investment, but even then I guess maybe since I've grown up a bit I've decided to move on about bad shit and let people enjoy it if they want. I mean hell I like plenty of "bad" things, maybe I'm wrong about whats good and bad in the first place.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I do not like that style at all.

Daughter's had Teen Titans Go on a few times, and it's ok, but I prefer the older more 'realistic' designs. Netflix Voltron had been fantastic by being a nice mix of traditional and modern.

Different styles are fine, but do feel myself getting a little Internet angry about changing the personalites; like making Lionel dumb. Just make them new Thundercats.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yup, maybe if the original had been left on a cliffhanger and then forgotten about and "replaced" with this one I could understand being upset, but this simply being a spin-off, which might even be good on it's own as well, why would I get mad?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

My freshman year in college some of my roommates found a VHS tape of a couple episodes of the TMNT cartoon on it.

We tried to watch it, but it burned away the nostalgia fog real quick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I do not like that style at all.

Daughter's had Teen Titans Go on a few times, and it's ok, but I prefer the older more 'realistic' designs. Netflix Voltron had been fantastic by being a nice mix of traditional and modern.

Different styles are fine, but do feel myself getting a little Internet angry about changing the personalites; like making Lionel dumb. Just make them new Thundercats.

I actually am partial to the new Thundercats art style. But then again, I also liked the Adventure Time art style.

But Teen Titans Go, that's . . . that's another level of wrongness that does not sit well with me. It's designed to be as aggressively kitsch and inoffensive as possible and it bothers me.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    VrynnVrynn Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I wonder if Exosquad holds up. I remember thinking it was the most amazing and epic cartoon ever.
    The animation is a little iffier than you probably remember, but the show was excellently written (for a kids show at any rate) and I find it still holds up.

Vrynn on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yup, maybe if the original had been left on a cliffhanger and then forgotten about and "replaced" with this one I could understand being upset, but this simply being a spin-off, which might even be good on it's own as well, why would I get mad?

That is 100% what went down with the 2011 reboot.

• Options
    vanner11vanner11 Registered User regular
    Call me when they reboot Swat Cats....nevermind, that show as too slick to be rebooted (unless you reboot it like the show Reboot).

• Options
    edited May 2018
    We all want Kung Fu Rooster to make a come back.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net