As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do, see or devour in D.C.?

2»

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I will never master pancakes like Cracker Barrel has.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Courtesy of some flooded track, we’ve spent the last few hours enjoying the finest train coffee that Amtrak has to offer, and a fairly static view.

Cracker Barrel will be an upgrade, though we may have to swim to reach it.

Stay safe, you lot.

ETA: There is now a tree down on the track so we’re just chilling out waiting for a chainsaw. I think we live here now.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Good news is it's clearing up Sunday? Sucks you showed up during a week of freak storms.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Did you guys make it off the train?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

About 0100 the next day, we did! Followed by a late night trip to Denny’s (that was an experience). Williamsburg today - it’s a bit kitsch, but people had fun. Not sure about tomorrow, depending on the weather we may hit up Jamestown.

Hoping the trains are running again by Monday, mind you.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

About 0100 the next day, we did! Followed by a late night trip to Denny’s (that was an experience). Williamsburg today - it’s a bit kitsch, but people had fun. Not sure about tomorrow, depending on the weather we may hit up Jamestown.

Hoping the trains are running again by Monday, mind you.

Yeah, so, uh ... There was a major CSX derailment in Alexandria. 30 cars off the tracks.

Looks like it may have been water damage from the recent spate of storms as the last straw that caused some rails on a bridge to fail.

Certain Amtrak trains were affected.

Good luck?

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    I'm just checking to see if @CroakerBC is still living in the train station in Alexandria, and if he needs a pizza delivery.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If you're stuck in Crystal City often, Injera is proper great Ethiopian restaurant plus there is a neat lil diner next door to that

For nightlife I am very fond of H St NE

Union Market up near NoMA/Gallaudet is fun too

edit: oh if you like motorcycles, Dunn Lewis MC up NE of NoMA/Gallaudet is fun but that is a long walk. same with most of the breweries in DC - they are often way NE of the red line. the most accessible is probably Atlas brewing

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    We’re alive! The Amtrak back was far superior to the one into Virginia, and so took three hours, rather than the ten on the way down, which was nice.

We also escaped Crystal City; now over by GWU, so hopefully we’ll be able to delve into people’s recommendations for the rest of the week!

• Options
    We really did bring the rain with us. Forced up in a museum for now, but they’ll close eventually. Sorry, @Iolo ...

• Options
    We really did bring the rain with us. Forced up in a museum for now, but they’ll close eventually. Sorry, Iolo ...

Honestly, thanks for saving me a bunch of money and effort watering my lawn this week. :D

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    We really did bring the rain with us. Forced up in a museum for now, but they’ll close eventually. Sorry, Iolo ...

I knew it!

Sorry you guys have drawn so much rain. I hope you got at least a little sun in Williamsburg. Did you guys make it to Jamestown?

EDIT: Also I'm actually on the road in Mississippi for work right now...

...where it is raining cats and dogs.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    So we’ve been out to Arlington Cemetary (last week in the rain), and saw the changing of the guard, and several wreath laying ceremonies - very moving; appreciate the recommendation from everyone here.

More recently, saw a whole host of art in the National Portrait gallery, discovering it was actually quite enjoyable! (Thanks @credeiki )
    Also hit up Founding Farmers yesterday, where I both ate and very much did not hate their soft shell crab.(Appreciated the head up, @firewaterword !)

We found &pizza pretty near us in GWU-land and absolutely demolished it; brilliant pizza rec there, @Radiation

Now we’re on our own for a couple of days and free to be a bit more adventurous - Spy Museum, Newseum, few remaining monuments and the zoo are strong contenders (watching Panda’s fail to justify their evolutionary survival is always fun, and they’re cute!)

Missed out on Jamestown due to a cold, probably from being out in all the rain; though bar Amtrak madness, Virginia was fun, if kitschy.

Probably some less meat-and-potatoes restaurants , too! (Speaking of which, I won points on one of the chucking-it-down days last week by taking people to the Gordon Biersch place, thanks @Duke 2.0 , that was a lifesaver)

• Options
    Having wrenched an ankle a day back, walking around things have been a bit trickier. But we did do the Spy Museum (albeit slowly), which was great fun. But for comedy value, looks like we’re off to Solo tonight!

• Options
    Right, off to Dulles to begin the agonising process of getting home. See you guys next time - it’s been fabulous!

• Options
    Right, off to Dulles to begin the agonising process of getting home. See you guys next time - it’s been fabulous!

Dulles ... not my favorite airport.

Glad you could come and have some fun in our collective backyards!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Going to be saving this thread for the next time I play tour guide.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Its Rolling Thunder 2018, so braces yourself for streets full of old white people on Harleys.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767