Options

STEAM: Steam sale almost over! Red Faction & Wreckfest out now!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    aw man I just paid for Long Journy Home, that's irritating

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Deponia is very bad and shouldn't be played.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Harebrained Schemes has been acquired by Paradox

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    they also fixed some bugs and I'm pretty sure they adjusted the different forms of dak'kon's zerth blade so that you aren't punished for treating him better

Yeah, there were a loooooot of bugs in the original release of Planescape: Torment. There were some people who went back and basically fixed the whole game, and most of their changes were included in Enhanced Edition.

This page shows all the patch notes of the original mod, and reading them shows how it's just a better-functioning game with the fixes.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Deponia is very bad and shouldn't be played.

it's deceptive too

because the first part is good, and kinda just sets the protag up as a feckless loser

but then the other parts happen and hoo buddy

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    someone spoil me on Deponia

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Played more Vampyr today, but mostly just messed around with sidequests and exploration so didn't really progress the main story.

Continued thoughts and impressions:
    Combat can get pretty hectic when you find yourself fighting five enemies at once and some of them can hit you with fire. However, I've started getting more special moves so now I can paralyze someone from a distance, shoot another with my gun, bring down a giant claw attack on a third, etc.

The sword I got as a preorder bonus is also pretty nice as it's still the strongest melee weapon I've found and I upgraded it to steal blood on each attack.

I am looking forward to unlocking my ultimate ability soon. Apparently they unlock at level 10. I already know the one I'm going to pick is the one that says you teleport around the room hitting everyone for big damage. Though turning a target into a living bomb also looks nice. I forget what the third one was.

I like the crafting system. Fairly straight forward and I don't have to worry about saving inventory space for ingredients because everything has it's own slot.

I seem to have finished with some of the NPCs as I've maxed out their XP bars. Some of them are worth as much as 6,000 xp now. I'm planning on trying to not eat anyone on this playthrough, but at the moment I actually can't eat many of them anyways. To eat them you have to Mesmerize them and lead them to a secluded spot, but I haven't yet found how to raise my Mesmerize skill, and there's only like two of them that I could use it on at my current level.

Also I found that you can permanently fail some of the stuff for NPCs (earning a red X instead of a green checkmark). In one case I completed a sidequest with one person and it gave me a red x on the other (not sure if you can get through that quest without failing one of them), and in another case a guy didn't like what I said and gave me a red X on one of his clues.

So I guess I won't be maxing everyone's XP bar on this playthrough. I don't know if that will effect anything if I'm not eating them though.

I'm also curious if there will be consequences for not eating people. One guy I spared has turned out to be a gang leader but hasn't done anything hostile to me yet.

Lastly when I was logging out tonight I got a message about District Health. It said that the health of a district goes up or down depending on my actions and the overall health of it's citizens. It also said that disease could spread if left untreated, so that'll be a thing. Apparently letting too many die / killing them will plunge the district into chaos. That'll be an interesting future run.

Overall, still really enjoying it. I am a little curious how long a playthrough will be, though.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »

Grumblegate Guybrush Sim

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

Grumblegate Guybrush Sim

Whole lotta racism.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ah, yes

that game

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/11/wot-i-think-goodbye-deponia/#more-175960

RPS's John Walker does a pretty good summation of it in his review of the third one

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    I have finally finished Divinity 2.

I did really enjoy it but I had to turn the difficulty down towards the end as even though I was the right level and had great hear some of the final fights were frustrating.

I'm waiting for the big 1.1 patch for Deadfire before continuing that so I'm back in to Total Warhammer 2 big time.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One thing I've really been enjoying about Vampyr:

There are people who are having A Rough Go Of It in early-1900s England. Women, gay folks, people of color. And your character can offer up condolences, and be like, "I know how hard that must be."

And every single time, the characters in question are like, "No you fucking don't, you're a rich straight white dude. Fuck outta here with that."

It is extremely refreshing.

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    I have finally finished Divinity 2.

I did really enjoy it but I had to turn the difficulty down towards the end as even though I was the right level and had great hear some of the final fights were frustrating.

I'm waiting for the big 1.1 patch for Deadfire before continuing that so I'm back in to Total Warhammer 2 big time.

the beta patch for deadfire is live

weirdly, I beat deadfire pre-patch, but I'm going to wait until august for Divinity 2 to get its enhanced edition patch, then I'll give that a go

• Options
    in the meantime though, I picked up the GPD WIN 2 , as an upgrade to my GPD WIN 1

BGh5Au3.jpg

and have been playing some Stardew Valley multiplayer with the Missus

it's a lot of fun!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I forgot that you had that amazing dumb little computer and I still love it

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I tried to start playing Stardew valley the other day but there was a timer and I went to town but none of the stores were open yet and I felt embarrassed and I was wasting time and I turned the game off

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    in the meantime though, I picked up the GPD WIN 2 , as an upgrade to my GPD WIN 1

BGh5Au3.jpg

and have been playing some Stardew Valley multiplayer with the Missus

it's a lot of fun!

Hello, yes, it's me, the exact kind of person that's marketed towards.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behpA361zFs&feature=youtu.be

The makers of Totally Accurate Battle Simulator made a parody BR game, it's free to buy for the first 100 hours it's available: https://store.steampowered.com/app/823130/Totally_Accurate_Battlegrounds/
    Apparently it's actually good? Like, everything is physics based so the movement and recoil control on your shooting are all pretty tricky and fun, plus there's a shooting range with a ton of weapons to practice or dick around with.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

There are people who are having A Rough Go Of It in early-1900s England. Women, gay folks, people of color. And your character can offer up condolences, and be like, "I know how hard that must be."

And every single time, the characters in question are like, "No you fucking don't, you're a rich straight white dude. Fuck outta here with that."

This is what finally completely sold me on Vampyr

That shows me that’s a game where the writers are totally on-point, and I’ll put up with any amount of jank for that

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    plus there's a shooting range with a ton of weapons to practice or dick around with.

And yet PUBG still can't manage to put one in.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

This is what finally completely sold me on Vampyr

That shows me that’s a game where the writers are totally on-point, and I’ll put up with any amount of jank for that

I kinda wrote off vampyr because playing an RPG as bog standard white dude didn’t seem fun, but hearing that this is actual a point in plot and conversations actually sounds great.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ha, bog standard white guy that's a vampire. In 1918.

See those all the time!

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    plus there's a shooting range with a ton of weapons to practice or dick around with.

And yet PUBG still can't manage to put one in.

No there IS a shooting range

it's just not able to be used outside of an actual game because fuck you

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

The makers of Totally Accurate Battle Simulator made a parody BR game, it's free to buy for the first 100 hours it's available: https://store.steampowered.com/app/823130/Totally_Accurate_Battlegrounds/
    Apparently it's actually good? Like, everything is physics based so the movement and recoil control on your shooting are all pretty tricky and fun, plus there's a shooting range with a ton of weapons to practice or dick around with.

Totally playing this when i get home

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Ha, bog standard white guy that's a vampire. In 1918.

See those all the time!

Gosh what a compelling rebutta

• Options
    Wait he’s not a vampire can anyone name any white characters who are vampires

Anyone

No?

I thought so

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Tube wrote: »
    Wait he’s not a vampire can anyone name any white characters who are vampires

Anyone

No?

I thought so

Blacul...

Wait, fuck.

Edit - for clarity, I'm going to play it but yeah that's some bog standard shit in vampyre

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    without looking anything up

Dio (Jojo's), Angel, Spike, and Dracula himself (hardly an impressive list)

but, really, white dudes as main characters is actually too common and acting like it ain't a thing is just, well, wrong

which is what I read the comment as because complaining specifically about white vampires seems like a narrow point to make

I was not gonna point out True Blood, but then I got curious and took a glance on google

for a show that takes place in Louisiana you'd expect to see more a lot more black vampires with lines

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    They had one!

She died!

Offscreen!

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I was going to say that Japanese vampires are the dreamiest anyway, because of how Yoshitako Amano draws them, but then like, that made me think sure a Japanese person is drawing them but what race are they supposed to be, and that made me realize I have no idea what race anyone Amano draws are supposed to be. I mean, yeah they are pale as ghosts but they have such distinct to his art style features...

So I just decided he draws his own beautiful race, the Amano people.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    did I completely miss some sarcasm or something

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Totally playing this when i get home

I tried playing it. Searched for a game for a while and never found one.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I had three different dreams about Vampyr last night, so I'm gonna write about Vampyr for a bit!

I feel like I've been waiting forever for a game that makes being good this hard, and makes being evil so legitimately tempting. I'll talk vaguely so as to avoid spoilers.

In the second chapter, I encountered a boss fight. And I got my ass demolished. My attacks barely hit, their attacks would cleave off a third of my health, I was fucked. So I decided I'd come back to it later, and find some ways to bolster myself up. I went into dangerous districts, scavenging for weapon upgrade parts. I did sidequests that were a bit out of my level range, and were really hard as a result, to try and get some XP. I got in some lower-stakes practice fights, to get a better grasp on the combat system. All told, I sidetracked for an hour or two. Then I came back to the boss fight, and barely eked it out, after ten tense minutes of combat.

While I was doing my sidetracking, busting my hump for 10 XP here or 5 XP there, I'd keep interacting with NPCs. Any time you do that, their name comes up - along with a big window, telling you how much XP you'd get if you drank 'em. The lowest amount was 1,000 XP. An almost unthinkable windfall.

And when I finally beat that boss, this feeling of dread settled in. Because, yeah, I was able to grind out some alternatives here. But what if there comes a day when that isn't enough? When there are no more workarounds? What if I have to take a life?

Just off that possibility, I started doing my mental math on who I'd take. Who will be missed the least, who is the most morally compromised, who will benefit me the most? I didn't act on that math, not yet, but the game had me thinking about it. "Just in case," sure. But isn't that how it always starts?

There's this other cool thing, where you can get to know people, learn their secrets, learn what makes them tick. And normally in games, "completing" somebody's conversation tree/story does something for you. There's a denouement to their story, or they give you a gift, or you get a piece of information you can use. But here, you learn all about somebody's life, and then they just... Keep on living. They are unchanged. All that's changed is how you, the player, feels about them. And, oh yeah, their blood is now more valuable, because you've groomed them and cultivated a relationship with them. There is no mechanical "reward" for being kind and compassionate, at all. But there is a reward for betraying that confidence. It's brutal. Being good just makes being evil more tempting.

I am so, so curious to see how this all develops. I don't know if this internal tension is sustainable on a long timeline, or if I'll start to see a thumb on the scale. But so far, it is an incredible feat of wedding themes and mechanics.

Those dreams I had about the game, they weren't gory. They weren't about the blood and violence of the story or the world. The dreams were about a dread that someday, I might not be able to control the beast within.

• Options
    Doobh wrote: »
    did I completely miss some sarcasm or something

If you’re talking about me, yes.

This discussion has been closed.