Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yo Dawgs, I hear you like cores. I got you some cores for your cores.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17432568/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-gaming-computex-2018

AMD promising a 32 core threadripper this year. That would have 64 threads.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/5/17432568/amd-threadripper-32-core-processor-gaming-computex-2018

alright maybe I'll hold off for this then yeah?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I'm sure it'll give you time to build that small nuclear reactor you'd probably need to drive it.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Who says I need time for that?

I certainly won't need a furnace for my house though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Looks like Noctua is finally going to release CPU coolers with black fans included (also blacked heatsinks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btP1LzbwYB4

"Hey Kyle, what did we do with that palette of black spray paint?"

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Ebay's having a 20% off everything sale today at 7am PST.

Assuming it all goes through, looks like I'm picking up that 1060 6gb, a new i-5 8600, some new RAM, and a new mobo.

Whoops...sorry wallet.

I wonder if I can put together a lower end ryzen CPU mobo and RAM combo for under $200 maybe $250

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

What would you even need that many threads for?

I mean, do it because POWER but still

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This rgb ram is pretty cool. I can make it strobe like the warp core on the Enterprise-D.

Makes me want two more sticks of ram but that's pretty extravagant right now. Too bad they don't just make dumb ram with the LEDs I can stick in those slots.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    user wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Was anyone holding out for new Nvidia GPUs?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3278095/components-graphics/no-geforce-gpus-g-sync-bfgds-nvidia.html
    The gamers hoping, wishing, and praying for a new generation of GeForce cards to arrive this week got some bad news from the company’s CEO during a Computex press briefing: The hardware won’t show up for a “long time.”

Retroactively justifying my decision to purchase a 1080Ti, WHOO.

Okay so they're going to release these multiple thousands of dollars new Monitors, that do 4K at 144hz while at the same time not releasing GPU architecture that measurably improves on the current 1080 Ti that at its best can only do about half of 144hz. Makes total sense.

El oh motherfucking el if you're not Tri-SLI-ing overclocked Titan Xps...

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

How fast could that render Toy Story 1?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Assuming it all goes through, looks like I'm picking up that 1060 6gb, a new i-5 8600, some new RAM, and a new mobo.

Whoops...sorry wallet.

I wonder if I can put together a lower end ryzen CPU mobo and RAM combo for under $200 maybe $250

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $235.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-06 12:16 EDT-0400

Bonus points: onboard vega graphics and expandable cas 14 ram.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    This rgb ram is pretty cool. I can make it strobe like the warp core on the Enterprise-D.

Makes me want two more sticks of ram but that's pretty extravagant right now. Too bad they don't just make dumb ram with the LEDs I can stick in those slots.

I was able to find a pack made by Gigabyte that was 2x8gb 3200 with LEDs and 2xled dummy ram but I couldn't find them selling just the dummy sticks anywhere sadly.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

Gigabyte is coming out with this, but you have to buy their ram to get the light stick ones as well.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/5/17425330/gigabyte-color-changing-ram-aorus-rgb-led-ddr4-controllable-computex

• Options

I do lots of heavy threading things.

Compiling/encoding/multitasking in general

I mean I probably don't need 64 of them, but still, why not?

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »

Whoops...sorry wallet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock - A320M-DGS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($90.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $235.46
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-06 12:16 EDT-0400

Bonus points: onboard vega graphics and expandable cas 14 ram.

Nice, but I was specifically thinking in the Ebay sale. But that makes a good starting point

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options

Hey now, I remember when the Pemtium Pro processor with MMX Technology was the pinnacle of computing and would be all anyone ever needed.

Or being blown away when the Pentium III hit 1GHz. How would I ever need more than 1GHz of processing power?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That ram kit with the dummy sticks is a great idea, damn

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Hey now, I remember when the Pemtium Pro processor with MMX Technology was the pinnacle of computing and would be all anyone ever needed.

Or being blown away when the Pentium III hit 1GHz. How would I ever need more than 1GHz of processing power?

Those were definitely silly positions to take.

However, creating a CUP like this that most people don't really need is what you do when you want devs to fill the space which creates a need for it later. It's not necessarily wrong, but neither is saying that we don't need that CPU now.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Success! Following the steps at the end of the StoreMI guide I managed to clean the drives and they showed up right away in the windows installer. It is now installing a fresh windows 10.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    New Question. Is there some program I should use to check cpu temp and fan speeds and such or should I just use the motherboard utility software

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Cpu-Z and HWInfo are the two I see most commonly used. The software that comes with your motherboard will probably be fine also, but it might not show you as much data as cleanly. Mobo software tends to still be ALL LEET GAMER GRAFIX.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    New Question. Is there some program I should use to check cpu temp and fan speeds and such or should I just use the motherboard utility software

speccy is alright as well, made by the ccleaner dudes

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Cpu-Z and HWInfo are the two I see most commonly used. The software that comes with your motherboard will probably be fine also, but it might not show you as much data as cleanly. Mobo software tends to still be ALL LEET GAMER GRAFIX.

These are good. I've never used Speccy. The thing is they don't let you adjust fan speeds. The MB software will let you make adjustments without need ing to boot to the BIOS. There may be other third party software that does, too. Corsair's Link utility is one of them. And also, GPU fan speeds typically are only controlled by software made by the cards manufacturer.

• Options
    Coretemp is another option that's served me well in the past. Also, GPU-Z for gpu info.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular

You can use Ryzen Master!!! Haha sorry for the exuberance, but it's unique to our platform, so why not.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Was anyone holding out for new Nvidia GPUs?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3278095/components-graphics/no-geforce-gpus-g-sync-bfgds-nvidia.html
    The gamers hoping, wishing, and praying for a new generation of GeForce cards to arrive this week got some bad news from the company’s CEO during a Computex press briefing: The hardware won’t show up for a “long time.”

Retroactively justifying my decision to purchase a 1080Ti, WHOO.

Okay so they're going to release these multiple thousands of dollars new Monitors, that do 4K at 144hz while at the same time not releasing GPU architecture that measurably improves on the current 1080 Ti that at its best can only do about half of 144hz. Makes total sense.

El oh motherfucking el if you're not Tri-SLI-ing overclocked Titan Xps...

Haha, I know you jest, but so few games actually support nominal 2x GPU SLI these days, with anything to close to 2:1 performance (more like 10-30%). And absolutely no titles do a thing with 3 GPUs, literally some of them have bugs that make playing them with 3 GPUs installed in your system impossible.

I'm very glad for this development. But I do eye roll hard when I see a youtuber make an SLI build these days.

• Options
    It would honestly be fine if unreal supported multigpu. They're the one renderer that does not, but they have such a huge part of the high end gaming market share that the realistic narrative is that 'no games support sli'.

• Options
    Ebay sale has me looking at a Ryzen 1600, msi B350 and 8gb cossair vengance for $280

Little higher than I wanted to go...

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Stupid Ebay sale is making me look at stupid phones because mine is a stupid ticking time bomb.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

boy that's an interesting question, could modern regular-ass gaming PCs render Toy Story 1 at real time speeds or faster? I wonder.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2018

boy that's an interesting question, could modern regular-ass gaming PCs render Toy Story 1 at real time speeds or faster? I wonder.

I think it was something like 4 hours of rendering time a frame. So moore's law could give us a rough estimate, probably close to something like 10 seconds theoretical max? Probably real world more like 2-5 minutes a frame?

But that's a cluster mainframe setup of 1994(?) vs a cluster mainframe setup of 2018 I guess, consumer level PCs ... I dunno.. maybe an hour a frame again (per core)?

bowen on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    there must have been dramatic efficiency improvements to rendering techniques since the 90s as well as simple processing speed increases, musn't there?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    I might finally upgrade one of my development machines. It's from 2012: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge, 8GB 1200 RAM, and a HDD. Here's what I found:

Mushkin M.2 2280 250GB NVMe $79 (-20% => $63)
    16GB 3200 RAM $180 (-20% => $144)
    Ryzen 5 2600X $229 (-20% => $183)
    GIGABYTE AB350M-DS3H ($65)

Getting the first 3 from newegg via eBay and the last one direct from newegg, it's $457. The mobo reviews seeem to indicate I shouldn't run into compatibility issues with the 2600X thanks to updated BIOS on the shipped boards.

Any recommended changes? I'm pretty barebones about features, I just need performance.

• Options
    Using some napkin math, 1 GTX 1080ti can render a frame of toy story in about 1 second. So if you had 24 of them...

• Options
    there must have been dramatic efficiency improvements to rendering techniques since the 90s as well as simple processing speed increases, musn't there?

Shit you could probably get an SLI setup that can beat out a mainframe of CPUs.

• Options
    So you're saying crypto wouldn't be worth it?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    32 cores is just so deliciously pointless for all but probably 0.5% of desktop users in the world. Good on you AMD for pushing the boundaries either way.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Ok, so what eBay stores/accounts are you guys checking out?

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Ok, so what eBay stores/accounts are you guys checking out?

Sales over, and I didn't pull the trigger in time. But I had looked at Newegg (reports of pricing shenanigans from them) and then just searched for the gear I wanted.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Amazon has the T-Mobile AC-1900 Router available for $48 (refurbished), which is a steal.

Why?

Because it is more commonly known as the ASUS RT-AC68U, one of the best wireless routers on the market today.

If you aren't afraid of some firmware shenanigans, it's an incredibly cheap way to get a $150 router. And for $20 more you can get the non-refurb (just search on Amazon).

This discussion has been closed.