Options

Trump Admin Immigration Policy Thread - DACA, ICE, etc

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Trump says he wouldn't sign the Bill even if Democrats compromise with it's evil in the first place.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/trump-immigration-compromise/index.html

To quote... I want to say Pod Save America from a few months back...

Trump always shoots the hostage.
    Can we get a... I can't remember the term. When the Administration puts forward a legislative proposal. Like what Obama did with the ACA?

So we can get on record exactly what Trump wants from Immigration Reform?

Because it really looks like (and in all likelihood is) that the Administration is perfectly happy with the current position, but can't say that, so they talk about reforming immigration, and just rejecting everything without making their own position clear.

"I want icecream! No, not vanilla! Not chocolate! Not strawberry! Not pistachio! Give me icecream! Two scoops!" - TwoScoops

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They want ethnic cleansing. That is pretty clear at this point.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ya know

When people said that revoking DACA and all that was equivalent to ethnic cleansing and genocide, I kinda thought that was stupid

This? This is actual genocide. Like, by law, this is basically considered genocide.

This is tremendously fucked and I am not at all surprised such a wide swath of America agrees with the policy

• Options
    Like, I don't know, should we even talk about the WH press release today regarding the CONGRESSIONAL DEMOCRATS POLICY of separating children?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It's infuriating the Trump admin makes this policy and literally blames the otherside and the law for a policy decision they invoked

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    It's infuriating the Trump admin makes this policy and literally blames the otherside and the law for a policy decision they invoked

It's literal abusive and gaslighting tactics

Like, everything Trump and the GOP and their ilk do is literal emotional and psychological abuse and manipulation.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Like, I don't know, should we even talk about the WH press release today regarding the CONGRESSIONAL DEMOCRATS POLICY of separating children?

One thing I’m at least happy to see is CNN, in every article they’ve run today about the issue, has explicitly called out that bullshit lie.

Also, the compromise bill? It wouldn’t have even stopped this policy:
    Yes, a compromise bill worked out by House GOP leaders, moderates and conservatives addresses the issue of separating parents from their children, through overturning a settlement that stipulates children cannot be detained more than three weeks so that families are kept together but doing so would allow entire families to be detained indefinitely. House Speaker Paul Ryan cited that settlement on Thursday as the reason this was happening in the first place.
    But -- and this is a key: the bill does nothing to prohibit the criminal prosecution of parents who cross the border illegally, i.e. the current Trump Administration policy that is driving the separation (children can't be brought into the criminal justice system).
    In other words: It does nothing to stop the current policy. It just requires the government to keep them together when in the custody of the Department of Homeland Security.
    So here's the bottom line: the bill touches on the issue, but it's hardly a fix.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The whole "Democrats came up with this" doesn't bother me much because it's too dumb even for these stupid times. The only people it works on are those who will believe anything they say so the specifics are irrelevant.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    The whole "Democrats came up with this" doesn't bother me much because it's too dumb even for these stupid times. The only people it works on are those who will believe anything they say so the specifics are irrelevant.

It goes mostly unchallenged by our press is the issue. One more thing for the general populace to hand wave as "both sides are bad"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

It goes mostly unchallenged by our press is the issue. One more thing for the general populace to hand wave as "both sides are bad"

You and I might be vewing different press because outside of some dumb AP tweets and the like I haven't seen the claim presented at face value.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Hold on, let me put on my shocked face.

The Waiver Process Is Fraud
    Previously undisclosed statements from two consular officers raise questions about the legality of the Trump administration’s third travel ban.
    In his sworn declaration, acquired by Slate, Richardson said that—counter to Francisco’s claim before the Supreme Court—consular officers were not allowed to use any discretion to grant visa waivers.

As a Consular officer previously employed by the State Department my impression and interpretation of how we as officers were to apply the waiver process was as follows:

(a) They gave us a list of things and we would go down the list one by one until we were able to determine at all possible cost that the person was not eligible to even apply for the waiver. My understanding was no one is to be eligible to apply.

(b) If for some reason an applicant made it through the list and we had no choice but to determine we could find an applicant eligible to apply, regardless of the [Presidential Proclamation] instructions that we had “discretion to grant the waiver,” we were not allowed to exercise that discretion. We were mandated to send to Washington that we found this applicant eligible to apply and Washington would then make the decision to grant or deny the waiver.

How big of a deal is this if the government was intentionally misleading the Supreme Court about this?
    In his affidavit, Richardson said the administration had done just that.

"In essence what the administration was doing was “hiding” behind the doctrine of consular non-reviewability for the benefit of issuing a Muslim ban and [at] the same time usurping all of our authority given by both Congress and the [presidential proclamation] by disallowing the consular officer to make a decision.| In his affidavit, Richardson said the administration had done just that.

In essence what the administration was doing was “hiding” behind the doctrine of consular non-reviewability for the benefit of issuing a Muslim ban and [at] the same time usurping all of our authority given by both Congress and the [presidential proclamation] by disallowing the consular officer to make a decision."

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

You and I might be vewing different press because outside of some dumb AP tweets and the like I haven't seen the claim presented at face value.

Yeah, they've been alright about the "separating the children from their family to put them in concentration camps" thing, but the CNN story about the 'compromise' bill was totally both sidesing it, basically glossing over the negatives in it and trying to equivocate it with the actually bipartisan attempt that was killed at the start of the year

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Looking at those photos, that is worse than an actual prison. I should know, I work at an actual prison!

I just saw the piece on the news and thought the living conditions looked pretty nice? Not cages, more lie a dorm. The propaganda is ridiculous and we shouldnt be separating families but I thought the living conditions looked fine.

"This concentration camp for children we've forcibly taken from their parents for no reason other then to hurt people has like walls and shit. What are you people complaining about?"

Seriously dude, even ignoring that this is the camp they were willing to show reporters, wtf are you trying to say here?

Exactly what it sounds like I'm trying to say. If we want to get mad at them for the fucked up shit their doing, fine, but don't make up rage for no reason. People were saying they looked horrible, and we were just talking about how rumors were they were cages and the kids were using emergency blankets for bedding. They compared it to kennels

And these looked like dorms pretty much? The food they showed looked good, and everything was fine.

Maybe this us for the news piece and more often conditions aren't like that. But people were saying what they showed on the news piece was horrible. And it wasn't.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wasn't the compromise bill mostly a compromise among Republicans rather than any attempt to convince Democrats!

• Options
    Looking at those photos, that is worse than an actual prison. I should know, I work at an actual prison!

I just saw the piece on the news and thought the living conditions looked pretty nice? Not cages, more lie a dorm. The propaganda is ridiculous and we shouldnt be separating families but I thought the living conditions looked fine.

"This concentration camp for children we've forcibly taken from their parents for no reason other then to hurt people has like walls and shit. What are you people complaining about?"

Seriously dude, even ignoring that this is the camp they were willing to show reporters, wtf are you trying to say here?

Exactly what it sounds like I'm trying to say. If we want to get mad at them for the fucked up shit their doing, fine, but don't make up rage for no reason. People were saying they looked horrible, and we were just talking about how rumors were they were cages and the kids were using emergency blankets for bedding. They compared it to kennels

And these looked like dorms pretty much? The food they showed looked good, and everything was fine.

Maybe this us for the news piece and more often conditions aren't like that. But people were saying what they showed on the news piece was horrible. And it wasn't.

Dunno what pictures you've been seeing

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wasn't the compromise bill mostly a compromise among Republicans rather than any attempt to convince Democrats!

Yes as with any compromise recently its entirely to get the GOP all on board with something monstrous and assuming they'll get heitkamp and manchin to push it through.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

The same ones that came out yesterday that had that stupid dictator style mural of trump. They supposedly weren't notified ahead of time and the bed and eating conditions looked fine.

The shit they go through is not. Supposedly only getting 2 hours outside and living in a prisoner like routine. We treat them like convicts which is the problem. The actual living condition of the place they showed would be fine if it wasn't ran like a shitshow.

• Options
    IIRC they weren't allowed to bring cameras inside, and those pictures were from the pre-printed promotional material that they were given by the goverment?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/390940-dem-senator-border-detention-facility-looked-like-dog-cage
    Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) on Wednesday described a border detention facility he visited as looking like how "you would construct a dog kennel.”

“What you have is cyclone fencing and fence posts that look like cages,” Merkley told CNN's Alisyn Camerota on “New Day.”

“They look like the way you would construct a dog kennel.”

From another article:
    I’ll tell you what was very difficult to see. One room had smaller cyclone fences—they look like the way you construct a dog kennel. They’re larger, but that’s the thought that comes to mind when you see them. Then they have these space blankets [light foil blankets], which is a very strange sight, to see kids using a space blanket as a cushion—but they don’t provide any cushion—or as a cover for privacy. There’re no mattresses in that section.

There's no photos here because they wouldn't let a US Senate member take pictures. Instead you get the ones from the other facility.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Yes as with any compromise recently its entirely to get the GOP all on board with something monstrous and assuming they'll get heitkamp and manchin to push it through.

That's the only card the Dems have, unfortunately. Either compromise or be unable to do anything about what the GOP are doing. These are their only options legislatively. :(

• Options

That's the only card the Dems have, unfortunately. Either compromise or be unable to do anything about what the GOP are doing. These are their only options legislatively. :(

GOP does not have a super majority.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

They have enough that the Dems can't just pass any bill through and they have the veto.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

You don't need a supermajority to leave standing law, or policy interpretations of standing law, unaltered.

• Options
    edited June 2018

They have enough that the Dems can't just pass any bill through and they have the veto.

No shit Harry, they still have the ability to effect change if they want to. Of course not all the change we want but nothing is stopping them from declaring blanket filibusters until this ongoing crime is stopped.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Some of the camps have walls set up in a warehouse looking building

Some of them just use fencing inside the warehouse looking buildings.

Different camps are using different set ups, and that's why it seems like a contradiction in reporting when it's different internment camps being reported about having differing conditions.

The solution to this would be "Don't goddamn set up goddamn internment camps America what the goddamn shit is wrong with you, we went over this in WWII."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

No shit Harry, they still have the ability to effect change if they want to. Of course not all the change we want but nothing is stopping them from declaring blanket filibusters until this ongoing crime is stopped.

Filibuster what? They can't even manage to pass the Farm Bill. I need to check, but I think the 115th Congress has passed the least amount of substantial legislation on record.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They're also setting up a tent city in El Paso. 360 children to begin with and possibly more brought in later.

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Different camps are using different set ups, and that's why it seems like a contradiction in reporting when it's different internment camps being reported about having differing conditions.

The solution to this would be "Don't goddamn set up goddamn internment camps America what the goddamn shit is wrong with you, we went over this in WWII."

They aren't warehouses, they're mostly disused Walmarts.

• Options

Shut down congress until the GOP agrees to pass a clean bill stopping this.

Actual filibusters. Not the modern one, literally anytime a Democrat has the floor, filibuster.

Bring Congress to a screeching halt until this is stopped.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

Filibuster what? They can't even manage to pass the Farm Bill. I need to check, but I think the 115th Congress has passed the least amount of substantial legislation on record.

Come out and say "we'll filibuster every bill and block every possible nomination until you stop putting kids in internment camps".

Obviously its not the strongest play in the world, but its more than just "well we'll have to just go along with whatever the majority does"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018

The same ones that came out yesterday that had that stupid dictator style mural of trump. They supposedly weren't notified ahead of time and the bed and eating conditions looked fine.

The shit they go through is not. Supposedly only getting 2 hours outside and living in a prisoner like routine. We treat them like convicts which is the problem. The actual living condition of the place they showed would be fine if it wasn't ran like a shitshow.

Do you have a cite for them NOT being notified ahead of time? Because everything I heard has been the opposite, that this was the tour that was explicitly arranged after they had time to clean it up.

Also, here's the cite about the pictures being ones handpicked by HHS for the journalist. The first tweet in the chain, again, mentions that there were no cameras allowed inside:

EDIT: also in that chain is how they have 5 to a room, with the rooms only having 4 cots

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lanz wrote: »

They aren't warehouses, they're mostly disused Walmarts.

that's why I said "warehouse looking" though in all honesty is there any practical difference?

It's still a damn empty-ass building not designed for long term human habitation, but for the storage (and in this case sale) of goods that the government has appropriated into makeshift internment camps.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    There's no meaningful distinction between warehouse and empty box store

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Come out and say "we'll filibuster every bill and block every possible nomination until you stop putting kids in internment camps".

Obviously its not the strongest play in the world, but its more than just "well we'll have to just go along with whatever the majority does"

The only nominations that can be filibustered anymore are SCOTUS. And, again, there just isn't really legislation being brought to the floor.

• Options
    It doesn't matter if we put the kids up at the holiday inn express, we are stripping them from their parents, not returning them on the parent being deported and slipping further and further into literal nazi policies. Lets not bog down in how nice the accommodations are in these hellish scenarios.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The only nominations that can be filibustered anymore are SCOTUS. And, again, there just isn't really legislation being brought to the floor.

Like I said, not the strongest play in the world. They will eventually want to do some legislation of course but even just as a way to help keep things in the news its a good message.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Not to mention that the GOP doesn't really care if Congress grinds to a halt.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

Not to mention that the GOP doesn't really care if Congress grinds to a halt.

I don't see that being true when they're the ones holding the reigns.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2018

As others have said, this isn't as easy as you suggest. Plus the GOP and their base like the government not functioning. The change you're proposing will be too minor to appeal to many left leaning voters, they need results to make anything worth doing and failure is viewed as appeasing/agreeing with/being as bad as the GOP. In this political environment it's practically a non-starter.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited June 2018

As others have said, this isn't as easy as you suggest. Plus the GOP and their base like the government not functioning. The change you're proposing will be too minor to appeal to many left leaning voters, they need results to make anything worth doing and failure is viewed as appeasing/agreeing with/being as bad as the GOP. In this political environment it's practically a non-starter.

If you won't even attempt to wield minority power over this issue then there's no point to them.

"The GOP likes it when government doesn't work" is buying into their propaganda. They love government working in the way they want. Cruel, destructive, personally enriching work it may be, but they have things they like to do with the reigns of government when they hold them and a blanket filibuster is at least some pressure that can be applied. They fume constantly about Democrats being in their way.

And as usual, you badly misunderstand the left.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
This discussion has been closed.