As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Am I misremembering it or didn't the 3DS version have an indicator on the map that showed the area affected by your fairy magic? No such thing in the Switch version.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m confused. On the first adventure map there are squares that show a heart on the map, but have no heart in any of the reward boxes.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I’m confused. On the first adventure map there are squares that show a heart on the map, but have no heart in any of the reward boxes.

The pieces of heart and heart containers are character-specific, so if you don't bring that character along, ypu only get regular chests with rupees in them instead.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I think I've worked it out from just unlocking Tingle.

Heart pieces for locked characters that require a search will be in the rewards box with a ? instead of a character face, but heart pieces that didn't need searching for will only appear in the rewards box after you have unlocked the relevant character.

An odd double standard.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Prince Sidon is awesome

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Prince Sidon is awesome

275957_176893.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    So.... Death Laser Spiders. What do I do with them? I can barely run away fast enough most of the time, actual fights are suicide

Steam profile
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    When their eyes charge up their lasers, hit them in the eye with an arrow to stun them. Eventually you will have weapons strong enough to take them on, and armour meant to reduce their damage.

When you are able to fight them, I would suggest stunning them with arrows and then going for each leg individually. Chopping off their legs hinders their mobility, sometimes causing them to tip over entirely and not have the leverage needed to get back up and aim at you.

Enlong on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    So.... Death Laser Spiders. What do I do with them? I can barely run away fast enough most of the time, actual fights are suicide

Indeed, you don't pick fights with them when you are still weak. Their big eye is their weakness is multiple aspects: not only can they be stunned by being shot in the eye, they aren't aggressive until they see you, so sneaking around them is a good idea. If the terrain allows it, you can even Stasis them and then run into hiding. When they are around, you definitely want to engage the Tactical Espionage Action.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I will say that the progression of those things from unkillable horrormurder machines to manageable threat through the course of the game is very satisfying

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I started trying to learn the parry timing immediately so as long as I had my trusty pot lid I never felt super threatened. It’s like the moment the white flash starts to coalesce into the eye you hit the button and kablooie.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I started trying to learn the parry timing immediately so as long as I had my trusty pot lid I never felt super threatened. It’s like the moment the white flash starts to coalesce into the eye you hit the button and kablooie.

I was thinking of trying that, but honestly load times are really long! I don't want to die and reload however many times it takes.

The arrow stun should be helpful. I always try to just give them a wide berth. But there's one right on the middle of this relatively narrow path I need to sneak by... Being able to stun will make it much more forgiving

Steam profile
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Sidon is thirsty for his dead sister's bf

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Sidon is thirsty for his dead sister's bf

in spite of being a fishman living in water, his thirst could not be slaked

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

BREATH OF THE WILD IS ON SALE ON THE ESHOP!

Everyone hear that? Good.

I bought it and am going to sell the cart on eBay. With any luck, I'll get the download price back.

I don't know why swapping carts on the Switch bothers me more than swapping discs in my other consoles, but it seems worth the money.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    Has anyone done an estimate on how long it would take to fully complete Hyrule Warriors? I say estimate because I think it might be longer than the human lifespan.

So many hours in, and still under 50% on the first Adventure map.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Has anyone done an estimate on how long it would take to fully complete Hyrule Warriors? I say estimate because I think it might be longer than the human lifespan.

it's got to be a lot of time that's for sure. hire some neighbor kids to farm clearing the maps, then you can focus on just getting the weapons and skulltulas

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Howlongtobeat.com put the original at just over 200 hours for 100% completion and puts the new Definitive Edition at 150 hours. But that is all self-reported. I am inclined to believe the 200-ish average hours for the original as that game has been around longer, so larger survey size to average in. I’m suspicious of the 150 hour figure for the new version.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    150 hours for 100%ing every single map? Absolutely no way.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Drez wrote: »

Howlongtobeat.com put the original at just over 200 hours for 100% completion and puts the new Definitive Edition at 150 hours. But that is all self-reported. I am inclined to believe the 200-ish average hours for the original as that game has been around longer, so larger survey size to average in. I’m suspicious of the 150 hour figure for the new version.
    The new version streamlines grinding a hell of a lot by letting you buy item cards for map searches, so you dont have to do maps over and over again to get a dang bomb. That cuts into the run time quite a bit. 150 hours is very much a lowball though, but I honestly wouldn't put it too much over the 200 of the original.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I was thinking of trying that, but honestly load times are really long! I don't want to die and reload however many times it takes.

The arrow stun should be helpful. I always try to just give them a wide berth. But there's one right on the middle of this relatively narrow path I need to sneak by... Being able to stun will make it much more forgiving

Yeah, the best way to handle the stationary ones is to approach with the bow to keep them stunned until you can close to melee. Once you're up close, as long as you've got decent quality weapons you should be okay.

The moving ones, the best way I've found if you're not boasting tops equipment is dash up on horseback to close the distance before it has time to react. Jump off the horse and stun midair with the bow, then hack off its legs. Each leg you break will re-stun it, so you can completely immobilize it and then go to town.

Blocking the beam is definitely useful. I had gotten pretty good at it, but then the cue I was using for the parry changed (I think maybe just on Master Mode?) so you hear the sound like it's about to fire, but then it pauses for just long enough for your timed block to fail. But it doesn't do that every time, so you can't use the sound timing at all.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Tip: horses are fantastic as mobile Link launchers. Begin a guardian assault by jumping of your horse and shooting them a bunch in the eye, then hack their legs off. Note that the weps dropped by the small sentries do bonus damage to guardians. Also, weps do double damage while on a galloping horse. What I'm saying is, you can get a blue glowy spear and charge em! Guardians are light, so you can knock them over this way.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, you can get a blue glowy spear and charge em! Guardians are light, so you can knock them over this way.

I did not know this! That's awesome.

One of my ways of fighting them was to throw bundles of wood all over the place, and light them on fire. Unlike grass, wood bundles for just about forever, and once you have like 5 close-ish together all burning, you get an updraft that you can glide on, so you always have spots you can run to get air and then do a time-slowed shot on them.

The smaller guardians will be stunned by shock and fire attacks, so you can keep them pinned down with that.

The different rewards from the Divine Beasts can also help greatly:
    Daruk's Protection is guaranteed to deflect a laser beam back to them, and you don't need a shield out for that to happen.

Revali's gust is a little slow but still gives an updraft so that's still useful.

Urbosa's Fury does a buttload of damage, and if you have a two-handed weapon, it means you get to dish out the spinning damage and end with the thunderclap, which may also provide the electrical stun!

Mipha's Grace revives you because YOU DIED

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    My favorite way to take down guardians is to let them spot me to lure them in. I hide behind some cover and once they get close I pop out and chop off the nearest leg. While they’re reeling from that I run around them, chopping off legs until they’re immobile. It’s simple but very satisfying.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Horses seem pretty rare so far unfortunately, or I could try jousting one :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Horses seem pretty rare so far unfortunately, or I could try jousting one :D

The best way to find horses it look for terrain that horses would tend to be in. That sounds silly, but it's totally true! Big, grassy plains are likely places for horses. Crags/volcanoes/alps not so much.

l_g on
  • Options
    I’m still bitter that the stables didn’t allow me to keep my skeletal horse. They said they won’t board monsters.

Don’t you listen to them, buddy. You’re whatever you want to be.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I’m still bitter that the stables didn’t allow me to keep my skeletal horse. They said they won’t board monsters.

Don’t you listen to them, buddy. You’re whatever you want to be.
    Not only that, skelehorse evaporates in the sunlight! If there was ever a horse that needed a stable, it's skelehorse!

I'm also hella disappointed that they would not let me board the deer or the bear.

Freaking out and having a superstitious reason for not boarding the King of the Mountain is awesome, though.

l_g on
  • Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I either sneak and get close or glide on in if I have the chance ... wait for the suckers to see me then shoot them in the eye. I bet they're thinking "Oh ... there he is ... time to kill him ... i'mma chargin ma lazahs" ... PING arrow to the eye ... "AH MY FREAKIN EYE ... that's gonna leave a mark ... or tears" ... then I start chopping legs. After the last leg is chopped I wait for him to see me again ... then ... PING ... yes I'm quite the savage. Then I finish them off with a flurry of lashes. Nothing more satisfying than making them your bitch before you get those sweet sweet guardian parts ... never get's old.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just got this in the mail today:

9m5z256xlete.jpg

Fun reading times ahead!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It's too bad the book doesn't include Breath of the Wild information.... but it's a thick book and that one game would probably double the size.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I just got this in the mail today:

9m5z256xlete.jpg

Fun reading times ahead!

Same. It makes the perfect companion to my Hyrule Historia and Art & Artifacts.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Mah Encyclopedia arrived!

Let's check the important bit first:

kQ5dPTt.jpg

Yes! Double middle fingers up to timeline purists!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

kQ5dPTt.jpg

Which is good, because the Historia timeline was nonsense. ;)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Does this new one still try to sell the "hero dies" timeline split?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I always thought it made more sense that OOT Link actually created potentially dozens of timelines. Each time he goes back for something (like the Lens of Truth or whatever), he's essentially creating a new branch, so when he travels forward, he's not returning to the future he just left, but the future he just created.

765vgwpobc5o.jpg

So from the perspective of the people from the timeline Link just abandoned because he remembered that he missed a few Skultulla tokens, he just disappeared (and thus presumed dead). Ganon wins. Now while this fate came to pass for multiple timelines, they're all essentially the same (Hero gone, Ganon wins), so there's no reason to count them individually.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular

kQ5dPTt.jpg

Alright then Hyrule Warriors is canon.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Despite my triumphalism, other than slotting in some newer games, the only actual difference is swapping the order of The Oracles and Link’s Awakening.

The silly ‘hero fails’ branch is still there.

Edit: Though Dirty may have just quite eloquently sold me on its existence. I’ll believe anything with Doc Brown’s backing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    It's too bad the book doesn't include Breath of the Wild information.... but it's a thick book and that one game would probably double the size.

The final book of the 30th anniversary trilogy is another huge tome entirely dedicated to BotW.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3002-422/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild--Creating-a-Champion-HC

MhCw7nZ.gif