Options

[Western Animation] RIP Peter Sallis

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    And we have a trailer for How To Train Your Dragon 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkcucKDrbOI

Can I just say that Dating Toothless is adorkable?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    New Voltron season next Friday!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I don't... I don't understand why so many guys find it so difficult to not behave like disgusting pigs? Like, sure you see a sexy woman and you have thoughts, but... just keep it to yourself, man. Maybe ask her out, but if she says no then let it go. And if she says yes, you still gotta treat her like a lady. If you're confident and successful in your career, behave well and someone'll be interested in you enough to get action. There's no reason to misbehave.

And like, some of them will try to say that it's just different times and this is how they were raised, but that's bullshit. Old-timey books, plays, shows, movies generally portray good guys treating women better and used sexual harassment as a way to show a character is bad. Oh sure, society was a lot more permissive of such things IRL, but it was always considered inappropriate. So it's nonsense to say they didn't know better.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I don't... I don't understand why so many guys find it so difficult to not behave like disgusting pigs? Like, sure you see a sexy woman and you have thoughts, but... just keep it to yourself, man. Maybe ask her out, but if she says no then let it go. And if she says yes, you still gotta treat her like a lady. If you're confident and successful in your career, behave well and someone'll be interested in you enough to get action. There's no reason to misbehave.

And like, some of them will try to say that it's just different times and this is how they were raised, but that's bullshit. Old-timey books, plays, shows, movies generally portray good guys treating women better and used sexual harassment as a way to show a character is bad. Oh sure, society was a lot more permissive of such things IRL, but it was always considered inappropriate. So it's nonsense to say they didn't know better.

Having any kind of power will make people misbehave. It turns out a lot of people's morals were acted on mostly if they felt they could get caught. Once they were in charge or famous or rich, they did what they REALLY wanted to do.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    People have a lot of harmful impulses, sometimes frequently. Some people are controlled because they want to control themselves out of care for others, others are controlled because society would punish them if they weren't... so when society isn't going to punish them nothing else is in the way. There isn't a sector of humanity that is free from including people whose impulses are held back by something mutable.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Having any kind of power will make people misbehave. It turns out a lot of people's morals were acted on mostly if they felt they could get caught. Once they were in charge or famous or rich, they did what they REALLY wanted to do.

Power and money do all kinds of weird shit to people psychologically. I don't know how much research has gone into finding methods to get control of their impulses under these conditions (clearly not enough), and this is the type of positioning which is hard to get the person to not go off the hinges since they are in control of whether they see a psychiatrist and refuse to hire people who will tell them no. RE: Kanye.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Power and money do all kinds of weird shit to people psychologically. I don't know how much research has gone into finding methods to get control of their impulses under these conditions (clearly not enough), and this is the type of positioning which is hard to get the person to not go off the hinges since they are in control of whether they see a psychiatrist and refuse to hire people who will tell them no. RE: Kanye.

There's a studied phenomenon where if someone acquires wealth or power and proceeds to distance themselves from people who will call them on their shit it literally causes brain damage that leads to a decreased ability to feel empathy. (There's also research indicating that failing upwards is actually a documented thing not just in being promoted beyond your abilities, but in getting to a position where you don't have anyone to answer to, the skills and abilities you demonstrated to mark you as being worthy of that promotion start to atrophy.)

But that's the key point, apparently--removing the presence of non-yes-men, people who will say no to you even if they don't have as much money or power, is what kills your humanity. Or finding some other way so that, regardless of your actual amount of power, you don't feel powerful anymore.

(turns out all those sitcom and cartoon episodes where a character gets briefly rich and/or famous and immediately turns into a snob before the reset button is hit aren't so far off as it might seem--even when they repeat the same story with different or even the same characters)

So the trick is twofold: you have to make sure the people you're promoting aren't already monstrous fucks; and then you have to make sure that those people have someone to hold them accountable. Whether that's a parent, or a spouse, or a lifelong best friend who wouldn't address them by anything but their first name if they were emperor of the universe.

• Options
    We're getting new Looney Tunes shorts. Like, a shitton of them.

Apparently they'll be distributed via "digital, mobile and broadcast," just like what Disney's doing with their new Mickey shorts. (Which are still being produced and are great, by the way.) Unlike the Mickey shorts, they'll range from 60 seconds to six minutes, and each season they're expecting to produce...

LTCT_DaffyDuck1000MinsASunset_Co_v04_Legal_01_r1-Copy_0.jpg

Apparently it's being done by Sam Register from Teen Titans Go and Peter Browngardt from Uncle Grandpa, so who knows if it'll be any good.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Well, this possibility went from "never would have crossed my mind" to "I need this in my veins now" instantaneously -- apparently Jordan Peele has pitched Disney on a Gargoyles movie.

But chances are looking slim.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh hell yeah. That would be sick.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    New trailer for that shitty-looking Christmas-themed remake of Despicable Me.

https://youtu.be/L8LWUyUy7jM

Also according to the plot synopsis Cindy Lou Who is going to lead a gang and kidnap Santa Claus, because they had to pad out the book somehow.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I called that goat scream meme being used the second it showed up onscreen. So lazy, Illumination.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I don't get the loud snow joke. Snow is pretty loud when it is really cold.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Max continues to be the best thing about that remake...

• Options
    That is an incredibly friendly Grinch. He's basically just a sassy prankster instead of a hate goblin. Way to defang a *Dr. Seuss character*.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    New trailer for that shitty-looking Christmas-themed remake of Despicable Me.

https://youtu.be/L8LWUyUy7jM

Also according to the plot synopsis Cindy Lou Who is going to lead a gang and kidnap Santa Claus, because they had to pad out the book somehow.

Also, why not copy Nightmare before Christmas

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You know, I wouldn't spend actual theater money watching it, but I'd watch it on Netflix or something. I mean it looks like junk food... but I like junk food every once in a while. I could think of worse ways to kill 90 minutes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm sure it won't be the worst thing ever, it's just falling pretty far from the story it's based on.

It may as well just be a different character in a different world.

• Options
    The one intriguing thing in the trailer is criticizing rich people for commercializing Christmas while ignoring the needy (the Grinch is an orphan). For all the "War on Christmas" complaining out there, there's very rarely serious criticism of Christmas as a thing. If the movie forces the Who's to focus on charitable giving and not just giving each other expensive gifts, so much the better.

• Options
    I think we're working our way toward Grinchlifficent.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I totally would have been on board for a sequel where the Grinch Saves Christmas after it becomes overly commercialized

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This Grinch was a mistreated child shit needs to stop. The story is clear he is not a nasty person because of his past ( in fact nobody knows his past) he just enjoys it and inflicting misery.

The whos are presented as understanding what christmas is really about and not being cruel or mean. Their genuine behavior is what causes the Grinch to realize maybe he can be better

These new movies place the blame on them but it doesnt track.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »
    I totally would have been on board for a sequel where the Grinch Saves Christmas after it becomes overly commercialized

Sequel, totally. Just not this revision.

• Options
    This Grinch was a mistreated child shit needs to stop. The story is clear he is not a nasty person because of his past ( in fact nobody knows his past) he just enjoys it and inflicting misery.

The whos are presented as understanding what christmas is really about and not being cruel or mean. Their genuine behavior is what causes the Grinch to realize maybe he can be better

They did that version in the 30 minute animated short. Or the 25 page picture book. If you want to make a 90 minute movie, you're gonna need more to it than "stop being a dick, they will invite you to the fun party if you stop being a dick."

• Options
    30 minutes Grinch being a jerk year after year, 30 minutes classic story, 30 minutes Grinch paying it forward. Maybe encountering another hate monster.

• Options
    edited June 2018

They did that version in the 30 minute animated short. Or the 25 page picture book. If you want to make a 90 minute movie, you're gonna need more to it than "stop being a dick, they will invite you to the fun party if you stop being a dick."

Well maybe you cant really adapt these stories into 90 minute movies. Surely the 8 other Suess movies that people hate proved this definitively

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Where’s my 3-part epic trilogy adaptation of the Butter Battle Book.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    Where’s my 3-part epic trilogy adaptation of the Butter Battle Book.

Oh, the Places You'll Go on Your Unexpected Journey
    The Scouring of the Truffula Trees
    The Butter Battle of the Two Armies

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I want the three movie peter jackson treatment for one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    Considering how Hollywood butchers every story they buy the rights two, I"m fully expecting a "Where the sidewalk ends movie"

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The deep theological implications of go dog go or hop on pop

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I want the three movie peter jackson treatment for one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish.

So... five movies about fish?

• Options
    No talk on Incredibles 2? Its $183 million domestic opening haul was the eighth-best of all time, and the best of any animated movie -- by nearly $50 million.

Personally I liked it a lot, but its politics were messy and all over the place. (Here's a good, spoiler-filled discussion.) At least it didn't get into Rand territory this time. (Possibly?)

• Options
    It didn't last time either

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I want to go see it but I think my 5 year old is a bit too young to see it in theatre.

I could go alone but my wife will be like "Really! Just take the kids"

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    It didn't last time either

Lots and lots of people disagree.

• Options
    We've had this discussion before, but suffice to say lots abd lots of people are wrong.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    I want to go see it but I think my 5 year old is a bit too young to see it in theatre.

I could go alone but my wife will be like "Really! Just take the kids"

People brought babies to my viewing and it really wasn't that bad. Does your kid get fidgety easily?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    We've had this discussion before, but suffice to say lots abd lots of people are wrong.

In fact I would argue this movie is about oppressing a minority. Its basic x-men stuff right down to not using that many actual minorities.

This discussion has been closed.