As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    There IS a non-House, non-Legion ending.
    I am aware. I'm just speaking to how slimy and secretive House is. I never knew about the crap he did to his employees / brother.

His brother, well older half-brother, was the one that did stuff to House.

His brother was quite the asshole who stole H&H from House when their dad died.
    I'll have to read it over again.

Even if that's the case, House himself for sure is talking about raking in profits hand over fist and has no problem with it, including going as far as to take half of street vendors' earnings.

Oh yeah, you'll find out why he does that, eventually.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yeah his older brother is, uh, was? Was. His older brother was craaaaaazy.

He hated House and believed himself to be the rightful heir to the family business (H&H Tools). However their father kinda knew his eldest was a dangerous nut and favored House instead.

When their dad died House's brother pulled some chicanery and stole House's inheritance, which included the family business.

The eldest House brother continued his downward spiral in to madness.

edit- The NCR probably is the best outcome for New Vegas. I mean the NCR isn't perfect, but they're better than the alternatives.

Alternative 1: The Legion, which is just not good. Not good at all.
    Alternative 2-?: Independent New Vegas, which IIRC all variations basically amount to a benevolent dictatorship. Which isn't necessarily bad, but has plenty of possibilities to go bad. House is the most stable version of this I'd say.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    NCR can broker ceasefires with a bunch of the other factions. Notably the Followers.

The failing of benevolent dictatorship is that the dictator may be replaced by a less benevolent one. But even among Fallout-protagonists, the Courier seems especially immortal. Forget headtrauma, doesn't even need to have a brain.

PLA on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    NCR can broker ceasefires with a bunch of the other factions. Notably the Followers.

The failing of benevolent dictatorship is that the dictator may be replaced by a less benevolent one. But even among Fallout-protagonists, the Courier seems especially immortal. Forget headtrauma, doesn't even need to have a brain.

House being effectively immortal ameliorates that failing though. Of course, there are no guarantees. And House might still go insane or whatnot.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

House being effectively immortal ameliorates that failing though. Of course, there are no guarantees. And House might still go insane or whatnot.

Well, there's Not-So-Yes-Man as well.

...which, on reflection, may not be all that different.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just signed Cass on to my party and hooooooooooooooo man she has a LOT to say about everything and everyone and I love it. Veronica seems rad but she has very little dialog, comparatively. And Boone, Jesus, he barely says a word.

Anyway time to be a cowboy and punch some Deathclaws in the face.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Boone is less of a talker and more of a... problem-solver.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Boone speaks by chambering a new round.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'd get xp popups with Boone from enemies he'd snipe that I never even saw.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    New Vegas adventures.

After I picked up Cass I went back up north from there, trying to find all the spots along that part of I-15. Made it north enough on the highway to run into the warning signs about Deathclaws, then I found the quarry worker camp. Fixed their generator, went about 50 steps north, and we got torn up by a deathclaw. IMAGINE THAT.

So I decided to follow the rail line instead, and holy crap there's like a whole game along that route. Mostly scorpions, found a weird gang called the Jackals (but didn't entire the cave they were guarding), and I even fought some centaurs which actually drop an item in this game oh my gosh. Once I got back to Nipton, which was still on fire, I quick'd my way back to the Lucky 88 to stash all the stuff I didn't sell off along the way.

OH! I forgot about the big change from that whole adventure. When I left the Mojave Outpost with Cass for the first time we got jumped by some damn assassins. These fights have always been a huge pain, but this time I picked up one of their Super Sledges. And those things... really kick the shit out of those assassins. Repaired it up as much as I could, and not long after I started down that rail line we got jumped by more assassins, which meant even more repairing of that hammer. It is... so sweet.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    When I played New Vegas I played a stealth sniper and had Boone as a companion.

Every time someone mentions Boone I imagine the jingle for the 80's toy 'My Buddy.'

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Man, Boone was such a top lad. He would headshot raiders before I had even seen them

• Options
    Because player-Charisma makes followers stronger in New Vegas, you could make a little moonshine-drinking merchant-caravan with Cass as a guard.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Hopefully the requirements for 76 won't be all that much more than what Fallout 4's was on PC.

I can run 4 juuuust good enough that I'm happy with it. Praying all that extra foilage and greenery in this one doesn't screw me.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Man, Boone was such a top lad. He would headshot raiders before I had even seen them

That's been my experience as well.

Because Perception is my dump stat.

• Options
    My SPECIAL stats are completely based on perk unlocks. After that I prioritized INT and END for skill points and HP on level ups. PER is pretty useful though to know when to start stealthing around for combat openers.

• Options
    I need some help understanding a New Vegas mod I'm looking up. I'm kind of sick of how the assassin squad things work in the base game. They bring progress to a grinding halt, they force me to consume more items than I can bring in, and just aren't fun. I already found a mod that reduces the frequency of the attacks from daily / every other day (it had many versions, I've chosen the 10 day version), but I'm also looking at a mod that says it rebalances the gear these squads come with. Problem is, I can't make heads or tails of it being easier or harder, and to what degree. Here's the link to the mod in question.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43030

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I need some help understanding a New Vegas mod I'm looking up. I'm kind of sick of how the assassin squad things work in the base game. They bring progress to a grinding halt, they force me to consume more items than I can bring in, and just aren't fun. I already found a mod that reduces the frequency of the attacks from daily / every other day (it had many versions, I've chosen the 10 day version), but I'm also looking at a mod that says it rebalances the gear these squads come with. Problem is, I can't make heads or tails of it being easier or harder, and to what degree. Here's the link to the mod in question.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43030

It seems to say that there's a problem where low level characters are getting attacked by assassins with high level gear, making them hard to kill/giving really good drops at a low level. I can't exactly parse the level list charts they have, but it seems like it's saying it fixes that problem by giving lower level assassins lower level gear than default. So, easier.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Aistan, I just wanted to be sure. Sometimes people go "oh this rebalances this thing!" and the actual goal is to make something harder. Modders are bad at writing things sometimes.

I just noticed something about the HP formula in New Vegas (and FO3 as well). If I'm reading this right, endurance doesn't affect your HP gain per level up. It only impacts your HP by a flat 20 per point, and it doesn't seem to matter when you take it up. The formula is listed as:
    Initial level=95+(Endurance×20)+(Level×5)

That's still pretty significant, don't get me wrong. The difference between 5 and 8 endurance at the start is an additional 100 or 160 HP. But that really impacts the idea of how I'd start a character off (gaining additional END via the Intense Training perk instead).

Edit - FO3 formula uses different numbers, but it's the same concept; HP gain on level doesn't change with END). Fallout 1, 2, and 4 are the only games to do that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I think that Endurance is the most potent stat in New Vegas, in general. Not the only one that matters, or anything, just the one that does a lot.

Oh, the Looksmenu-people have figured out how to apply body-tattoos on the fly, independent of skintextures. Processing new files seems like more work than in Skyrim, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I like the assassin squads. They'll wreck your shit in the early game if you're not prepared and don't see them coming, but they're a heck of a resource if you are and you do. They also upend the modern tendency in gameplay design to keep players from ever getting into no-win situations even when they're paying zero attention and being completely incautious. By the time a player can get themselves targeted by a squad in New Vegas, they've already been told how the reputation system works, learned how big and dangerous the major factions are (Nipton in particular serves as a pretty good lesson), and encountered certain situations (heading north into cazador/deathclaw territory early on) that make it clear New Vegas won't pull its punches if the player decides to ignore all warnings and pick fights with overwhelmingly bad odds. If a player sees all that, chooses to piss off the Legion/NCR, and still goes wandering outside of civilization without the necessary equipment for fending off an attack, the result is on them.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I loaded up FO4 for the first time in ages today, and noticed that there's some free things in the creation club.

Is there any drawback to just grabbing the free things? Does it disable achievements like mods?

edit: jesus christ I have 1.84gb of saves. I tried to back them up to just start a new character, but now the game is redownloading all those from the cloud. :rotate: How do I tell the game to not do that? Or to replace what I have on the cloud with what is on my drive (i.e. nothing, moved the saves)?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    If you just go where the story points you to and head down to Prim, you won't run into the Deathclaws and won't learn the lesson that New Vegas doesn't screw around. Then when you reach Nipton and react quite naturally to the situation by shooting Vulpes in the face, the Legion assassin squads that suddenly start showing up then might still actually be kind of a nasty surprise you weren't expecting.

Then again, if you're the kind of player who takes one look at Nipton and then shoots Vulpes in the face, you probably don't mind taking down some more Legionnaires either.

• Options
    If you just go where the story points you to and head down to Prim, you won't run into the Deathclaws and won't learn the lesson that New Vegas doesn't screw around. Then when you reach Nipton and react quite naturally to the situation by shooting Vulpes in the face, the Legion assassin squads that suddenly start showing up then might still actually be kind of a nasty surprise you weren't expecting.

Then again, if you're the kind of player who takes one look at Nipton and then shoots Vulpes in the face, you probably don't mind taking down some more Legionnaires either.
    I don't mind the idea of getting jumped by assassins, it's the power disparity between them and me. I don't mean to say I want it to be easy. But as it stands, they come in packs of four - one of them is weaker than the others, and one is stronger. The two that are in-between are able to stand up to you, even point blank head shots / strong weapon attack, and out-damage you. That is unacceptable to me. The leader, yeah sure, I expect them to do that. But they do it even harder than the other two. It's basically fighting three bosses + one HP heavy lacky, up to every day or every two days. It's ridiculous.

But then there's the other end of the problem where they have such good equipment, like weapons and ammo, that all the other encounters you normally run into in the game become a little to a lot more trivial. And yet those weapons you can get won't even the odds as much as they should against the assassin squads.

It's such a weird balance issue.

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular

The problem with the Assassins is their super predictable spawn points. I would just farm them from stealth as they started jogging into line of sight.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I don't mind the idea of getting jumped by assassins, it's the power disparity between them and me. I don't mean to say I want it to be easy. But as it stands, they come in packs of four - one of them is weaker than the others, and one is stronger. The two that are in-between are able to stand up to you, even point blank head shots / strong weapon attack, and out-damage you. That is unacceptable to me. The leader, yeah sure, I expect them to do that. But they do it even harder than the other two. It's basically fighting three bosses + one HP heavy lacky, up to every day or every two days. It's ridiculous.

But then there's the other end of the problem where they have such good equipment, like weapons and ammo, that all the other encounters you normally run into in the game become a little to a lot more trivial. And yet those weapons you can get won't even the odds as much as they should against the assassin squads.

It's such a weird balance issue.

Assassin squads can be real tough early on but were good for making money (I mostly would just get a pile of spears from them, since they had a good cost-to-weight ratio). And yeah, they've got a real whacky setup to the unit; the bottom end of the unit is real squishy, the top end is a tank. They're most of what I use explosives on early in the game, since they tend to cluster up.

But if they're really aggravating you and you can't find a decent mod for them, pushing the story through to events on the Strip will let you turn them off completely for as long as you don't attack Legion troops.

• Options
    Things are going great in Fallout Resurrection so far. Just got arrested by cops for being a snitch.

"16 hours pass, a guard comes by and pisses on you"

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Things are going great in Fallout Resurrection so far. Just got arrested by cops for being a snitch.

"16 hours pass, a guard comes by and pisses on you"

Snitches get pisses.

• Options
    Some of the assassins do seem to be screwed up. Like when they level up, they'll gain shittier equipment than before, and stuff like that.

• Options
    Finally got my beta code.

Well, now to play the waiting game for two or three months.
    iDxWUKN.gif

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Finally playing Fallout 4, and am at the storyline point where all factions are available. Was planning to go Brotherhood, but then.... a certain quest happened. I don't want to become enemies with the Brotherhood, but I am leaning towards the Minutemen. Is it too late to switch over to them without angering the Brotherhood?
    Made the mistake of changing Danse's clothes out and being unable to put other clothes on him. "Ah well," I thought "the man probably showers in his armour." Cue said quest, when I'm trying to have an emotionally charged conversation with a guy in his tighty whities.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Finally playing Fallout 4, and am at the storyline point where all factions are available. Was planning to go Brotherhood, but then.... a certain quest happened. I don't want to become enemies with the Brotherhood, but I am leaning towards the Minutemen. Is it too late to switch over to them without angering the Brotherhood?
    Made the mistake of changing Danse's clothes out and being unable to put other clothes on him. "Ah well," I thought "the man probably showers in his armour." Cue said quest, when I'm trying to have an emotionally charged conversation with a guy in his tighty whities.

I forget the details but you can get the Minuteman ending without pissing off anyone, well apart from the Institute for obvious reasons.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

I forget the details but you can get the Minuteman ending without pissing off anyone, well apart from the Institute for obvious reasons.

Yes, this is the ending that I went with. It's not immediately obvious how to do this in-game, but the Fallout Wiki explains how to navigate the faction quests to cooperate with both the Minutemen and the Brotherhood of Steel; the Railroad will ignore you, but at least they won't be hostile. There is no way that the Institute survives, of course.

• Options
    I always felt like the Railroad should've been demoted to side faction with the Institute, Brotherhood, and Minutemen taking the spotlight.

Like, those three are all working towards bettering the Commonwealth (in whatever way they believe is right). Granted the writing for the Institute failed spectacularly at portraying this, but I firmly believe it was the original intent of the writers.

The Railroad though doesn't give a shit about the Commonwealth and is laser focused on one specific thing. That thing being brain wiping people, dumping their asses in the wild, and doing their best Ralph Wiggum "I'm helping!" impersonation.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Bethesda was on the right track trying to bring back more of a sense of moral grayness (especially needed with the BOS) compared to Fallout 3's fairly vanilla good vs evil story, its just a shame their writing wasn't up to the task and the major factions ended all looking like a bunch of over the top douche canoes.

The Brotherhood went from one extreme in 3 to another in 4.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Man I said this before, but Chris Avellone is a free agent now and Bethesda could really use a writer.

I don't think the world would be that lucky though.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I know they're already a tight knit dev community (you can see that in making of vids) but man, new writers are desperately needed.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    They would fire him after he repeatedly rejected their requests to write a whole storyline about how your childhood best friend (who you meet for all of 37 seconds in the tutorial) had their sand castle kicked over by Talon Company during a beach vacation.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    They would fire him after he repeatedly rejected their requests to write a whole storyline about how your childhood best friend (who you meet for all of 37 seconds in the tutorial) had their sand castle kicked over by Talon Company during a beach vacation.

And how the whole experience ended up turning your friend in to a power hungry super villain who you have to defeat.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That reminds me, Dying Light 2 kind of got overshadowed by other stuff at E3 but in case you missed it, it was announced and also Avellone is working with them on the story to some degree.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
This discussion has been closed.