Options

[Fallout] Your Cube Was Nuked By xXx420yolo_69

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Well, it's based at least a little on Fallout 4, which did have repairing. Mostly of Power Armor bits.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Maybe you'll be able to craft repair kits.

They'll probably try to do something scummy like sell repair kits in a cash shop.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Actually, I hate item degradation now that I realized you're probably not going to be able to repair weapons, armor and stuff but rather have to craft it again if this really follows the survival game mold.

I have seen the light.

The survival games I've played have item repairing...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

They'll probably try to do something scummy like sell repair kits in a cash shop.

Last I heard they specifically stated cash shop items will be cosmetic only.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Last I heard they specifically stated cash shop items will be cosmetic only.

And able to be earned through gameplay, too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Actually, I hate item degradation now that I realized you're probably not going to be able to repair weapons, armor and stuff but rather have to craft it again if this really follows the survival game mold.

I have seen the light.

The survival games I've played have item repairing...
    Good. I'm hoping they'll just transplant the Fallout 3 way of doing it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Cash shop is cosmetic-only confirmed, and those cosmetics can be gotten by playing the game regularly anyway. Please stop trying to spread a cynical rumor.

Anyway I have an idea on how crafting might work; maybe the components that go toward crafting something should be usable for repairing said item. That would be supreme.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Cash shop is cosmetic-only confirmed, and those cosmetics can be gotten by playing the game regularly anyway. Please stop trying to spread a cynical rumor.

Anyway I have an idea on how crafting might work; maybe the components that go toward crafting something should be usable for repairing said item. That would be supreme.

That's how Conan Exiles works.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

Think I'm going to buy that.

Was already thinking about it before and now 76 hype has given me an itch I need scratched.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Lord help me I'm back on my bullshit. I just reinstalled New Vegas. Probably gonna stream it instead of FO4.

When I beat New Vegas I was kinda rushing through just to see the ending in question, I barely explored the desert.

Immediately sprint north of town, don't listen to all the people trying to send you the long way around.

You do like death bugs, right?

Uh, yeah, that's where my underground hideout's entrance is located.

That's always a fun trek for any new game I start cuz I needs mah hideout.

Yeah that sprint is non-optional. I must serve the wall.

It hungers for weapons.

The Wall is like 99% of the reason I look at the settlement building of FO4 and go "why the fuck would I bother with this slog?" Because I could pop over there, kick out all nonessential but useful items with a few button presses, craft whatever I was short on, and be back on my way in like five minutes. And I didn't have to fuck around with invasions or shitty AI, either.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

These are the horse armor people who keep trying to monetize the modding community. They have demonstrated that they are not worthy of trust.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

That's how Fallout 4 works, isn't it?

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

These are the horse armor people who keep trying to monetize the modding community. They have demonstrated that they are not worthy of trust.

Also cosmetic items are the most important items in these games. Putting an extra price tag on for people who want to play dressup is shitty.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »

Also cosmetic items are the most important items in these games. Putting an extra price tag on for people who want to play dressup is shitty.

Yeah they should just make is subscription.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Aistan wrote: »

Edit - To make this less snarky, it's really bumming me out when people continue to harp on this kind of thing, particularly when it comes with ignoring details that contradict their claims or alleviates their worries. Like I get it, people hate spending money. on games. beyond the initial purchase point.

Henroid on
  • Options
    What I really came here to post is my New Vegas progress. I finally made it to the strip and got my suite in the Lucky 88. Moved all my belongings their out of Novac, and Boone is sitting waiting in said Suite for the moment while I've picked up Veronica. I also had plenty of caps to get my END and INT maxed out via implants. I made it to level 10 before getting to that clinic, but whatever, I'm not that desperate to min-max. The three snowglobes I've found more or less paid for the entirety of that process.

Now I'm at the part where I have to tread carefully on my decisions, with the main story. I've already seen the House-aligned ending, which I am not fond of in hindsight. And there's no way I'm siding with the Legion (they're already sending assassin squads that kick my ass pretty hard).

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The player house in the 88 was nice, but I hated that you have to go through like 3 loading screens to get there.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The problem with Bethesda-games is that I stop eating, sleeping and going outside when I'm figuring out how mods work.

• Options
    Bethesda: "DLCs will be free! Servers will be free!"
    Players: "Right. How do you plan to make money then?"
    Bethesda: "We'll have a cash shop."
    Players: "Aha! Pay to win! You're horrible!"
    Bethesda: "Cosmetic items only."
    Players: "I don't want to spend money on cosmetic stuff! You're horrible!"
    Bethesda: "You can also earn all these things in game without spending money."
    Players: "That's stupid! How do you plan to make money then?"

I just keep seeing so much silliness from people.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Bethesda's success has been almost entirely reliant on people modding their games to completion and beyond, and so they decided to try and shove mods behind a paywall to make money off the backs of modmakers with no real effort on their own part.

People's distrust of Bethesda is on Bethesda, not random crazy internet paranoia.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Bethesda's success has been almost entirely reliant on people modding their games to completion and beyond, and so they decided to try and shove mods behind a paywall to make money off the backs of modmakers with no real effort on their own part.

People's distrust of Bethesda is on Bethesda, not random crazy internet paranoia.
    This just isn't true.

Bethesda's success is based off of the fact that their titles are huge open world games. They've been monster hits on consoles alone long before mods ever became available on PS4/Xbox.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    As far as I know, even on PC, only a small percentage of people use mods.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Bethesda isn’t anywhere near as malicious as EA is, but there is a part of them that is very anti-consumer.

It’s always struck me as kind of a “Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing” type of thing.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Bethesda isn’t anywhere near as malicious as EA is, but there is a part of them that is very anti-consumer.

It’s always struck me as kind of a “Right hand doesn't know what the left is doing” type of thing.

I'm sure ZeniMax is the left hand.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    They aren't malicious but they have certainly shown themselves ignorant on many occasions. Paid mods 1.0 was a disaster, 2.0 was better but still has a lot of headache-causing issues. I don't think it's unreasonable to look at a game that at launch won't have private servers or mods and be skeptical of claims of "it's basically just item skins!" when it comes to income generation. Servers cost money and unless it's peer-to-peer (we're in some real trouble if it is) then 100% of that is being put on Bethesda hardware.

That said, I'm expecting they'll focus on churning out DLC rather than going pay-to-win cash shop or anything. That's the route Conan Exiles is going, and I believe ARK has a few as well.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Strikor wrote: »
    They aren't malicious but they have certainly shown themselves ignorant on many occasions. Paid mods 1.0 was a disaster, 2.0 was better but still has a lot of headache-causing issues. I don't think it's unreasonable to look at a game that at launch won't have private servers or mods and be skeptical of claims of "it's basically just item skins!" when it comes to income generation. Servers cost money and unless it's peer-to-peer (we're in some real trouble if it is) then 100% of that is being put on Bethesda hardware.

That said, I'm expecting they'll focus on churning out DLC rather than going pay-to-win cash shop or anything. That's the route Conan Exiles is going, and I believe ARK has a few as well.

Server costs have greatly dropped in the last 5 years due to advances in virtualization. I believe they said that we're looking at 24 people per map? So let's do some rough math:
    • 20 people per server per hour (assuming not 100% efficient load balancing due to grouping).
    • Going off a Google Cloud N1 server, monthly sustained use running cost is about $54. I'm roughly guessing this is about 1/3rd to twice as expensive as doing an enterprise scale project would be since that's priced for a single virtual machine, and isn't optimized for a specific program or configuration. But it's the a good conservative starting point for cost. That works out to ~$0.075 per hour of use.

So, with that, we can get a rough server cost per hour per user of $0.00375. So three tenths of a cent per user per hour. Say someone puts five hundred hours into Fallout 76, they've cost Bethesda roughly $1.88 in server costs. So let's be even more pessimistic and double that to $3.75 in costs. If Bethesda sells that person a single $10 skin, they've probably cleared what that person has cost them in five hundred hours of server usage.

Mvrck on
  • Options

This just isn't true.

Bethesda's success is based off of the fact that their titles are huge open world games. They've been monster hits on consoles alone long before mods ever became available on PS4/Xbox.
    Not to mention that all efforts to monetize mods have come along with the mod makers themselves getting money. There's certainly an argument to be made about ratio (how much the modders get vs Bethesda), but still, they were never cases of Bethesda going "THANKS FOR THE FREE WORK SUCKERS."
    Strikor wrote: »
    Content updates have already been disclosed as being free.

• Options
    I'm going insane trying to figure out who did the cover of Country Roads used in the FO76 trailer. I know it's a John Denver song originally, but that's not him / his recording of it. I have to know.

• Options
    I'm going insane trying to figure out who did the cover of Country Roads used in the FO76 trailer. I know it's a John Denver song originally, but that's not him / his recording of it. I have to know.

It will be for sale on the 4th, with proceeds going to charity I believe.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I've been wondering why they did a cover. I mean the obvious answer is money, but Country Roads is easily one of the more popular Songs of Homesickness. It's used a lot by TV shows, movies, hell even commercials.

Seems like it wouldn't have even really registered as a blip on Bethesda's finances.

Axen on
  • Options
  • Options

It will be for sale on the 4th, with proceeds going to charity I believe.
    Oh awesome.
    I've been wondering why they did a cover. I mean the obvious answer is money, but Country Roads is easily one of the more popular Songs of Homesickness. It's used a lot by TV shows, movies, hell even commercials.

Seems like it wouldn't have even really registered as a blip on Bethesda's finances.
    I dunno, it's as good a time as any to do a cover (or promote an existing one). And it's a good cover too. Modernizes the quality, but kinda keeps the spirit / feel of the original. That's pretty hard to do. Plenty of covers that try to retain the 'feel' of a song end up misinterpreting it or pushing too hard in a direction.

• Options
    So I just came across H&H Tools Factory in New Vegas. Are you fucking serious with this shit? Fuck Robert House. Independent Vegas is just as bad an ending as I imagine the Legion ending is.

• Options
    So I just came across H&H Tools Factory in New Vegas. Are you fucking serious with this shit? Fuck Robert House. Independent Vegas is just as bad an ending as I imagine the Legion ending is.

Well H&H was House's brother's whole enterprise.

• Options
    There IS a non-House, non-Legion ending.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    A couple of them.

I didn't stop to read what this mod does, and I don't think it needs to do anything.

a2KCUUsl.png

• Options
    I am aware. I'm just speaking to how slimy and secretive House is. I never knew about the crap he did to his employees / brother.

• Options
    I am aware. I'm just speaking to how slimy and secretive House is. I never knew about the crap he did to his employees / brother.

Without going into spoiler territory, I think he actually has the best interests of humans in mind, generally.

He's very clinical about it though.

• Options

His brother, well older half-brother, was the one that did stuff to House.

His brother was quite the asshole who stole H&H from House when their dad died.

• Options

His brother, well older half-brother, was the one that did stuff to House.

His brother was quite the asshole who stole H&H from House when their dad died.
    I'll have to read it over again.

Even if that's the case, House himself for sure is talking about raking in profits hand over fist and has no problem with it, including going as far as to take half of street vendors' earnings.

This discussion has been closed.