As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah i didn't mean that as a knock; personally i think all their interior sets look quite great

some of the wider shots in space or aerial shots inside stations or the nauvoo are a little cheap looking but they convey what they need to and that's just fine

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    They’re obviously exaggerating for comedic effect, as that’s what Gabe and Tycho have always done, but I think the point is generally valid that it’s a great show that occasionally has some questionable VFX. It’s not to say all the effects are terrible, because some of them are actually quite good. There’s no denying it’s a mixed bag though.

I don’t take it as a knock, just kind of a funny observation. It got a smirk out of me at least.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    The ships in general are more spacious than described in the books probably just for the logistics of trying to film in them. Make it much smaller and trying to film anything would be a freaking pain. I thought the ship interiors was fine I am not sure how much more fancy you would want to make them. The roci is a gunboat small and spartan in its design and the show conveys that fine.

The only problem with the Roci interiors (and most interiors in the show) is that they’re rectangles and not squares. It takes the layout of naval ships as assumed instead of the layout of rocket ships and so plays into that assumption.

The acceleration scenes don’t help either

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »
    The ships in general are more spacious than described in the books probably just for the logistics of trying to film in them. Make it much smaller and trying to film anything would be a freaking pain. I thought the ship interiors was fine I am not sure how much more fancy you would want to make them. The roci is a gunboat small and spartan in its design and the show conveys that fine.

The only problem with the Roci interiors (and most interiors in the show) is that they’re rectangles and not squares. It takes the layout of naval ships as assumed instead of the layout of rocket ships and so plays into that assumption.

The acceleration scenes don’t help either

Sorry, that argument confuses me. Why are the ships supposed to be square instead of rectangle?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The ships are all supposed to be built like tower blocks, since they're all stacked on top of the engine so that when the ship move, they got gravity. The orientation of the sets in the TV show does kinda suggest they're fit lengthways along the ship instead.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I haven't watched the show, but in the few pictures I've found, it looks like the Roci at least has a 6 sided, almost trapezoid shape, which doesn't quite match my expectations, but seems reasonable enough.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I thought they did a good job trying to convey that all the rooms in the Roci were stacked on top of each other and were connected by stairs and ladders.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The ships are all supposed to be built like tower blocks, since they're all stacked on top of the engine so that when the ship move, they got gravity. The orientation of the sets in the TV show does kinda suggest they're fit lengthways along the ship instead.

Yeah, the Roci's command deck doesn't really make any sense in the show given how the ship is shaped.
    The stairway thing in the middle of it is presumably meant to be the 'ladder' they use to move through the ship in the books except that there it's an actual ladder leading between decks (I think with an integrated lift system so that they don't have to literally climb the ship when under thrust).

For the internal layout in the show to make sense the Roci would have to be a big disc or rectangle sitting on top of a drive cone.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Yeah, the Roci's command deck doesn't really make any sense in the show given how the ship is shaped.
    The stairway thing in the middle of it is presumably meant to be the 'ladder' they use to move through the ship in the books except that there it's an actual ladder leading between decks (I think with an integrated lift system so that they don't have to literally climb the ship when under thrust).

For the internal layout in the show to make sense the Roci would have to be a big disc or rectangle sitting on top of a drive cone.

In the books it's both a ladder and a lift. Under no or light acceleration most of the crew just use it as a ladder but under heavy burns they'll use the built in lift thing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Yeah, I always pictured it as an open elevator shaft with a ladder running up the back wall of it. After looking at these photos of the sets on the Roci, I'm probably going to have to actually watch the show, because it looks fucking baller.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

I'm confused. if the decks are stacked, that ladder going up and down is going in the direction that would be up and down when thrusting.

pretty sure all the chairs would cause people to black out under thrust because they don't swivel to face up, but that would be hard for the prop folks...

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

I'm confused. if the decks are stacked, that ladder going up and down is going in the direction that would be up and down when thrusting.

Right. I meant 'not have to literally climb the ship' as in 'use an elevator rather than expending the energy necessary to climb up and down the ship all day long'. The lift system exists because the expectation is that, much of the time, the ship is functionally a tower.

• Options
    edited July 2018

pretty sure all the chairs would cause people to black out under thrust because they don't swivel to face up, but that would be hard for the prop folks...

The chairs in the books are a whole thing that just didn't make it anywhere near the tv show. They're supposed to be fully swiveling and super shock absorbent gel lined and all that so they'd cushion acceleration in any direction.

Edit: Even grumbly me realizes that would have been incredibly expensive for the show to actually make and thoroughly unrealistic to expect.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It is cool to get a shout-out, but I also super disagree with em and think the sets all look fantastic, Rocinante especially. About the only cheap looking thing I could point to on the show would be maybe some of the CGI models for the ships in season 3 - IIRC the Thomas Prince looked pretty bad in a couple shots. But honestly, apart from a few foibles this is the best looking sci fi TV show ever.

...oh wait yeah Agents of SHIELD did Ghost Rider one time. It's the second best looking sci fi TV show ever.
    This was in the PA Hub thread about that strip.
    Keplers wrote: »
    As someone who worked on the show.... People need to stop expecting Guardians of the Galaxy level effects on a TV show. We do our best with our budget, but last season the bigwigs really cut down our numbers. Don't expect Amazon to throw more money at it either. However, we are getting smarter about how we spend our money. If you have read the fourth book, it's pretty different in locale from the other books (it mostly takes place on one planet).

I'm surprised about this comment on the sets, specifically the Roci. It's a pretty great set.

Anyway, love PA. Expect some cool sets next season :)

@klepers if you ever need a pick me up after a long day at the set, this thread is full of the praise you all deserve.
    I think you mean @Keplers

I know i said I'd avoid this thread until i caught up, but i misclicked on it so I had to read it so i wouldn't lose my place. Fortunately i finished book 3 last night. Now to start season 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh, so looking at what I can find of people making layouts, it looks like the floor plan is an octagon, but its cut off at the flats on one side all the way up, which is probably the lift/ladder shaft.
      _
    /  \
    |¯¯¯|
    \   /
      ¯

Brody on

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Sort of relationship-related book spoilers while talking about couches:
    Holden and Naomi make a double bed in their shared quarters aboard the Roci by bolting two couches of the same design as are meant to be on the bridge (and everywhere else someone might be sitting on the ship) next to one-another, which is then sufficiently flat for space-fun-times under moderate thrust, to give you an idea of how dissimilar the chairs in the show are from the described furniture.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    The roci set in the series dissapointed me a bit since it is in no way representative of what it should look like.

However, it looks really good and makes for a much much better set to actually shoot scenes in. Which is obviously pretty important. Overall I am happy with the tradeoffs they are making between making it filmable and staying true to the book ships.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I find it difficult to be disappointed by VFX when I'm wrapped up in a good story.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

The chairs in the books are a whole thing that just didn't make it anywhere near the tv show. They're supposed to be fully swiveling and super shock absorbent gel lined and all that so they'd cushion acceleration in any direction.

Edit: Even grumbly me realizes that would have been incredibly expensive for the show to actually make and thoroughly unrealistic to expect.

The had fully gimballed seats in the Razorback.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Which seemed sort of odd in and of itself, though the set/props were really neat.

The Roci needs fancy-pants couches because they have to thrust hard in pseudo-random directions during combat in order to avoid being shot.
    The Razorback is a racing ship. I'd expect it to be optimized for thrusting very, very hard in one direction.

• Options

Ooo, did they? That's cool. I fell off at the beginning of season 2 and haven't found the time to catch back up.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Which seemed sort of odd in and of itself, though the set/props were really neat.

The Roci needs fancy-pants couches because they have to thrust hard in pseudo-random directions during combat in order to avoid being shot.
    The Razorback is a racing ship. I'd expect it to be optimized for thrusting very, very hard in one direction.

I would think a racing ship would also be doing things like gravitational slingshots where the gravity vector and thrust vector are in different directions necessitating rotating the chairs to match the combined accelertion vector.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I'd assume that the Razorback got fancy seats because they only needed to make two of them, which, IIRC, are supposed to be inline.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

I would think a racing ship would also be doing things like gravitational slingshots where the gravity vector and thrust vector are in different directions necessitating rotating the chairs to match the combined accelertion vector.

I think people inside things doing a gravitational slingshot can't tell the difference between just being in normal freefall / orbit.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    SUPER TV SPOILER
    Seeing Drummer drag her bed to the mechanized parts and then walk is probably the most badass thing I've ever seen in television or movies.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Cara Gee is excellent.
    that part where she's yelling in anguish and hitting her legs really hurt to watch, ooof

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Also.
    the moment of Amos asking Pastor Ana why she does what she does is a crash course in acting over thirty seconds. This scene establishes why Amos follows other people almost instantaneously.

• Options
    FUCK YEAH ASHFORD

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH ASHFORD

They did such a better job with him in the show than in the books.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    It's a great show but the effects do get a bit weak in places.

Sometimes their greenscreen feels a little off. but their sets and production design are extremely well done for a TV budget

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I know it's offensive to capital S Science, but I'd be OK with them stipulating that people, in spaceships without specific spin, are walking around with mag boots of some kind.
    Syngyne wrote: »
    FUCK YEAH ASHFORD

They did such a better job with him in the show than in the books.

It definitely doesn't hurt that David Straitharn is a killer actor. The interplay between him and Cara Gee basically made this season for me. It totally elevated some otherwise mediocre exploration of the Belters as a people. They just did a great job all around.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I'd assume that the Razorback got fancy seats because they only needed to make two of them, which, IIRC, are supposed to be inline.

Also I think it was to show that the razorback was designed to be a racing ship. It is fully kitted out for the pilots to undertake maximum gee forces so they showed that with the fancier and more realistic acceleration couches. What the roci has in the books is more the traditional style acceleration couches that are basically gel bed type things so when you are under high g your body is not making contact with hard objects that could bruise/injure you. The problem to do those right you basically would not see much of the people in them if you were trying to film it. The choice in how they did the chairs I think was mostly for better impact in filming than budgetary.

• Options
    I mean, I totally buy into the fact that none of the Roci's couches swivel is because it would be too fucking expensive, and the only people that will notice are nerds on the internet who were going to argue about it anyways.
    I know it's offensive to capital S Science, but I'd be OK with them stipulating that people, in spaceships without specific spin, are walking around with mag boots of some kind.

I mean, in the books it certainly implies that most footwear worn on stations is magnetic.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    There are definitely magboot sound effects in the ships when the ships aren't under thrust.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    There are definitely magboot sound effects in the ships when the ships aren't under thrust.

More then that, they have people click their heels to activate them when the ships change thrust vectors or decelerate.

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »

Yeah, I just went back through one of the books rq, and they are definitely wearing magboots while shooting the shit on Medina Station.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Also.
    the moment of Amos asking Pastor Ana why she does what she does is a crash course in acting over thirty seconds. This scene establishes why Amos follows other people almost instantaneously.

The actor they got for Amos is so good

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I mean, I totally buy into the fact that none of the Roci's couches swivel is because it would be too fucking expensive, and the only people that will notice are nerds on the internet who were going to argue about it anyways.

I mean, in the books it certainly implies that most footwear worn on stations is magnetic.

They do swivel though? Watch the chairs during any high G burn.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I mean, iirc, the bunks are also wrong, because each one should be a gimballed couch in case they go into a high g burn while people are sleeping.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I mean, iirc, the bunks are also wrong, because each one should be a gimballed couch in case they go into a high g burn while people are sleeping.

Do the Roci's RCS thrusters really put out enough force to need significant protection against? More than just not sliding off the bed? Because otherwise the only force is straight down. Flat bunk isn't ideal for that but it's not horrible either.

This discussion has been closed.