Options

[Cooking thread] what is the internet but an enormous recipe book?

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    If you can't find Schweppes at a local UK importer then I'd probably go with ginger ale. It's technically a bastardization, but it's a version that gets used a lot in the UK.

Yes, I prefer it with a dry ginger beer over lemonade so I usually use just that and it is very nice and not too sweet.

Also good: a Pimm's cup cheesecake, which is a nice strawberry or vanilla cheesecake topped with sliced strawberries, mint, and cucumber, and drizzled with a burnt sugar and Pimm's syrup.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Make sure you eat the heart, it's the best part

No worries, there was much tooth scraping and then digging and lemon and olive oil. I've had artichoke dips/fried artichoke/artichoke hearts before, just never made it myself.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There's an Austrian/Bavarian marzipan roll cake that I'm trying to find a recipe for, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called, and I can't even find a picture on the internet. The versions I've had have been smallish, maybe as big as my hand, the outside layer is chiefly marzipan, half the cake was dipped in chocolate, and I think the interior was mainly sponge cake and maybe cream.

does anyone have the faintest clue what I'm talking about? @Platy ?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Mozartkugeln?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I was thinking mandelhörnchen, but those things are usually entirely marzipan

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's not a Simnel cake, is it?
    https://edmondscooking.co.nz/recipes/cakes/simnel-cake/

but then, rereading what you wrote, you meant a roll like a chocolate log or something and not like, balls of marzipan, so probably not

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Turns out it was just a yule log but tynic was boozed up on gluhwein

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Thanks to this question I have discovered dominostein, been reminded of how upsetting I find most desserts, and now I'm just sad I can't get schneeballen

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I realized I have never actually cooked an artichoke before, so I grabbed a couple and boiled the first one in some lemony water. This is pretty tasty! I knew I liked artichoke dip, just have never attacked the whole thing before. I just cant imagine this as an actual food crop meant to sustain people, but meh!

In the south after boiling, we stuff it with a breadcrumbs, onion and cheese mixture, then bake it a bit. that will definately sustain you. make sure you apply some scissors to the pointy bits to save your fingers.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Plus, that way you gain the artichoke's courage.

Brain of a Califlower, Heart of Celery. Also Heart of Artichoke.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ears of Corn.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Eyes of a Potato.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Has someone here ever collected their own sea salt? We are currently at some Greek beach and the surrounding rocks have a lot of sea salt.

Edit
    The girlfriend has collected a grocery bag of salt.

honovere on
  • Options
    I would grab a sample and throw it in some hot water just to make sure there is no sand in it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Has someone here ever collected their own sea salt? We are currently at some Greek beach and the surrounding rocks have a lot of sea salt.

Edit

I would be careful about eating that. You don't know what random crap, boat fuel, bird poo, etc, has also collected in the salt.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Thanks to this question I have discovered dominostein, been reminded of how upsetting I find most desserts, and now I'm just sad I can't get schneeballen

There's a place in the city that does schneeballen and I'm racking my brain trying to think where it is. I think it might have been Chocolate Origin in 313@Somerset?

It was a few years ago that I had one there though, so who knows now.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

Edit

I would be careful about eating that. You don't know what random crap, boat fuel, bird poo, etc, has also collected in the salt.

Girlfriend mutters: "Tell me i look fat in that dress did he...*adds bird crap*."

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

Edit

Comercial sea salt is made by filtering sea water than allowing it to dry in a clean holding pond. You don't want to eat raw beach salt. If you really want to take some greek sea salt home, get yourself one of those 5 gallon water cooler jugs. Wade out a ways until the water is several feet deep and collect brine from below the surface layer. You can affix a couple of coffee filters to the opening at the top with a rubber band if you don't want to have to filter it later. Pour it into the largest pot you have and boil off as much of the water as you can. Eventually you'll have boiled off enough water that the salt will crash out of solution and can be collected.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Edit

Comercial sea salt is made by filtering sea water than allowing it to dry in a clean holding pond. You don't want to eat raw beach salt. If you really want to take some greek sea salt home, get yourself one of those 5 gallon water cooler jugs. Wade out a ways until the water is several feet deep and collect brine from below the surface layer. You can affix a couple of coffee filters to the opening at the top with a rubber band if you don't want to have to filter it later. Pour it into the largest pot you have and boil off as much of the water as you can. Eventually you'll have boiled off enough water that the salt will crash out of solution and can be collected.

Yeah I perhaps could have rephrased my post. "Be careful" here read as "don't."

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    There's an Austrian/Bavarian marzipan roll cake that I'm trying to find a recipe for, and I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called, and I can't even find a picture on the internet. The versions I've had have been smallish, maybe as big as my hand, the outside layer is chiefly marzipan, half the cake was dipped in chocolate, and I think the interior was mainly sponge cake and maybe cream.

does anyone have the faintest clue what I'm talking about? Platy ?

The "roll cake" part is throwing me a bit off

Everything else reminds me of these little guys but you mostly get them in spherical form (generally around carnival time)

Or maybe a Schokokrapfen

I would google for "Marzipanroulade", there seem to be a few recipes on the internet

4L529bUJPEkqSY1XmfleT4eHa746Gm2yy.jpg

@tynic

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I'll try Marzipanroulade, it's closer than most other suggestions. The thing I'm thinking of had a specific name (which oddly didn't contain the word marzipan), but it might be one of those highly regional cakes. Or it could have been a local, less racist variant of a mohrenkopf (the appearance was a a bit like a very short, marzipan-covered swiss roll).

tynic on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sometimes it's something a specific Konditorei came up with

I also found this picture on the internet

zxo8GTU.jpg

It looks like a roll cake version of a Punschrolle which are AFAIK Scandinavian but you can also get them here

Platy on
  • Options
    ha! The outside looks pretty much spot on, though I remember more marzipan being involved. Maybe all along it was a scandi cake that got a bavarian makeover.
    That would explain why I couldn't find it.

I will delve into Punschrolle!

• Options
    this page is making me very hungry

stop it, all of you

• Options
    What did you expect in the cooking thread

• Options
    @Platy you helped me nail it, it was basically a large, hand-sized version of this

17.02.-3.jpg

which seems to have come to germany by way of Denmark, so I was way off looking at Austrian desserts, I should have gone north.
    Now I can make one!

• Options
    It were Austrian bakers who brought their sweet secrets to Denmark

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    It were Austrian bakers who brought their sweet secrets to Denmark

well naturally.

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    What did you expect in the cooking thread

it's my own fault it's true

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits? Thinking about making some for this weekend.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Anyone have a good recipe for buttermilk biscuits? Thinking about making some for this weekend.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe-2041990

These are pretty dang good.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Platy you helped me nail it, it was basically a large, hand-sized version of this

17.02.-3.jpg

which seems to have come to germany by way of Denmark, so I was way off looking at Austrian desserts, I should have gone north.
    Now I can make one!

The punsch-roll version of that tastes slightly different, I believe. The Danish version is mainly cocoa flavoured, and the filling is fairly dense. It is basically made from other, left over cake and pastry and then turned cocoa-y.

You'll sometimes see versions with a bit of jam, or cream, between the filling and the marzipan, but the OG version is 'whatever stuff the bakery had left' and marzipan.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    yeah it had been years since I had one, so I honestly couldn't remember what was inside except it was "cake-y". Now I've found it I'm confident the thing I'm thinking of was the danish version, though - the swedish one looked quite different.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hey so I've got black beans and brown rice and no idea what the hell I'm doing when it comes to dried beans and non-Uncle Ben's type rice, if one were to try and do a real basic beans and rice type thing where should one begin?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I bought some cornbread mix and I'm gonna make cornbread muffins to go along with my chili tomorrow. Any tips for cornbread? It's my first time making it and I just bought a box of Krusteaz mix because I'm pretty sure it's foolproof.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I bought some cornbread mix and I'm gonna make cornbread muffins to go along with my chili tomorrow. Any tips for cornbread? It's my first time making it and I just bought a box of Krusteaz mix because I'm pretty sure it's foolproof.

Cornbread cooked in a greased cast iron pan that's been preheated in the oven always turns out nice and crispy on the bottom. Sprinkling some flaky salt on top just before it goes into the oven is also good.

I usually use the Paula Deen cornbread recipe with a little less butter, more sugar, and yoghurt instead of buttermilk (or olive oil and soy milk if cooking for vegans) and it always turns out great.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17891/golden-sweet-cornbread/

I like this recipe, but I like a sweeter cornbread. If you want a savory or more dry cornbread this won't be to your liking.

I add a little orange zest into my batter as well, it brightens up the cornbread, but that's very much down to personal preference.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Hey so I've got black beans and brown rice and no idea what the hell I'm doing when it comes to dried beans and non-Uncle Ben's type rice, if one were to try and do a real basic beans and rice type thing where should one begin?

a cheap rice cooker is invaluable! otherwise, the absorption method is pretty easy: try a cup of brown rice and two and a half of water in a pot, bring it to boil, then cover it and simmer low until the water's gone. takes a while.

as for the beans, you'll need to soak them (probably overnight) to rehydrate them first. i'm hardly an expert on american cuisine, but you can't go wrong with pig fat (get it from bacon or chorizo!), a cajun mirepoix of finely diced onion, celery and peppers, and some smoked paprika, garlic, and oregano... then in with the beans. don't forget to season it with salt to taste.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

The easiest way to treat dried beans is to soak them overnight in salted water (like a teaspoon per quart of water, the measurement isn't really important. The salt is mostly to increase the rate at which the beans absorb water.) Drain and rinse the beans when you're ready to cook them. Then you saute some combination of chopped onions, bell peppers, celery and minced garlic in olive oil, omitting any of those ingredients you don't like and doubling up on the ones you love. Throw all that shit into a pot with your beans, put in enough water to cover the mixture with an inch or two to spare. Add in cayenne pepper (I generally put in half a teaspoon for a good-sized pot,) some thyme a couple of bay leaves.

If you're into meat, this is where you put in some diced ham or chopped bacon or diced hard sausage. Andoille is your best bet for sausage, but anything that you like the taste of that comes in a casing will do the trick.

Now you simmer the whole mixture for three to four hours over low heat, just enough to get a few bubbles coming up around the edges. When it's done, you should be able to easily mash individual beans up against the side of the pot, but they'll maintain their structural integrity if you leave them alone.

If you don't have a rice cooker, just throw the rice into a pot of boiling salted water (start with about a 2:1 ratio of water to rice, erring on the side of the rice) and immediately drop the heat to medium low. Cover it with a lid and simmer it for 15-20 minutes. You'll want to give it a good stir a couple of minutes after you start to stop it sticking to the bottom of the pot. Once it's done cooking, you can fluff it up with a fork and serve. If you want a real flavor experience, you can replace some or all of the water with chicken broth, but most of your flavor adventure is going to come from your beans in this case.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Words of advice on beans:

salted water during the overnight soak helps beans to hold their shape better while cooking, unsalted water will cause some to burst apart while cooking. One way or another may be preferable depending on the dish. For refried beans or red beans and rice, I'll avoid the salt in order to get a more mushy texture while cooking.

A pressure cooker will greatly reduce the amount of time needed to cook beans to the tender texture you're looking for.

This discussion has been closed.