As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Hmmm

My monk player died and after he was dead, on the miniboss's next turn (an intelligent, prepared spellcaster with player levels), I realized she had no options for either escaping or winning... so I announced that with a resigned and spiteful expression, she thrust her bag of holding into the dead monk's bag of holding, creating a portal that sucked in a friendly griffin, a friendly NPC, her, and the dead monk - leaving a gaping half sphere in the ground and a very badly bloodied party with one additional fatality lying on the ground. The players were stunned

I guess this was the wrong move because the monk is suuuuuuuper upset that his character is for-reals-never-coming-back and also his equipment is gone and it's ridiculous that an NPC would do such a thing :(

override367 on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Hmmm

My monk player died and after he was dead, on the miniboss's next turn (an intelligent, prepared spellcaster with player levels), I realized she had no options for either escaping or winning... so I announced that with a resigned and spiteful expression, she thrust her bag of holding into the dead monk's bag of holding, creating a portal that sucked in a friendly griffin, a friendly NPC, her, and the dead monk - leaving a gaping half sphere in the ground and a very badly bloodied party with one additional fatality lying on the ground. The players were stunned

I guess this was the wrong move because the monk is suuuuuuuper upset that his character is for-reals-never-coming-back and also his equipment is gone and it's ridiculous that an NPC would do such a thing :(

There is spells that can bring that character back, but they are pretty high lvl.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Hmmm

There is spells that can bring that character back, but they are pretty high lvl.

Not in this case, I guess it's not "fair" that he died, he did nothing wrong, other players made bad calls that led to his death (the bard fireballed him and the baddy and he rolled a nat 2 on this save, and on the baddies turn...she finished him off)

but at the same time we're playing Tomb of Annihilation

In the same fight, the fighter practically flipped the table when he died. They'd been fighting undead, and the fighter's maximum HP were at 13 from being struck by incorporeal undead (wraiths iirc). He saunters over to the wounded Boss Lady and shoots her in the face. So she shoots him in the face, with sharpshooter. 13 Maximum hitpoints... that's a dead. (he got over his salt though, he's busily discussing what he wants to play next with me.)

I had to pause the game to explain that I'm not killing them, the boss is, and that this is a hard fight - one that they had warning signs about. I refused to let them retcon that they had brought a bunch of healing potions with them either (because the monk tried to say "Well I *Would* have remembered to get healing potions" and I just shrugged, Idk what to say...

It really sucks to stuck a knife in people's hearts like that but that's part of this game, and that was made quite clear early on. FFS one of the other players died in the second session, another died in the fourth, both rerolled without complaint. The monk was such a munchkin, so unkillabe, with such improbably good stats that he expected never to die. 23 AC, 20 wis, 20 dex, no stat below 16, bracers of defense. How could he ever die? He's doubly upset because I told him his reroll character has to be point buy like everyone else

override367 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Placing a bag of holding inside an extradimensional space created by a Handy Haversack, Portable Hole, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it to a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.

They can bring the monk back if they can find the corpse in the astral plane, right?

• Options
    I was thinking Wish and I'm pretty sure there is a divine spell too but i don't remember the name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Placing a bag of holding inside an extradimensional space created by a Handy Haversack, Portable Hole, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it to a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.

They can bring the monk back if they can find the corpse in the astral plane, right?

Nah, Death Curse, it's the entire impetus of the campaign
    • The souls of humanoid creatures who die while
    subject to the curse are trapped. Typical means of
    avoiding this do not function.
    • No spell or effect—mortal or divine—can return
    the dead to life; the soul remains trapped and any
    such attempts automatically fail. Rumor is that
    one person found deep in the jungles of Chult
    knows a way around this, but at a steep price.

To be clear, the monk was fine with this over the previous... 5 others who have died, he's just mad that it's happening to him now.

They literally are camped in front of that "one person"s hut, but retrieving a dead body from a random place in the astral plane is a tall damn order for a level 7 party

He seemed to be satisfied when I told him "It may be possible.... but it's beyond the capability of your party right now, later on though", he rolled up a new character, and yesterday asked me (he's my roomate) "so you got ideas for how we get my character back in ... what 3? 4 sessions?" and I had to break it to him that there's probably no way in hell before the end of the campaign

1. His soul is inside the mcguffin that the campaign is about, the good news is the party has plenty of time to destroy it
    2. They need his body back, True Resurrections aren't available at wal-mart

Yeah, I'm the DM, he pointed out I could just handwave it away, he's a gith so maybe a starjammer rescues him and brings him back. Sure yes I can do that, absolutely. I don't want to do that. I wouldn't do that for any of the others, he doesn't get special treatment just because we're roomies. It's not fair to the other players.

Instead, I told him, I had planned to do an entire quest line in the city of Sigil post campaign anyway, I've been putting together bits and pieces of it as time goes on. That's the perfect opportunity for this, do it justice, make it fun. He's free to roll another gith monk who wants to know what happened to his old pal in the interim

Part of me strongly suspects he's just upset that he's lost his improbably rolled stat block

override367 on
  • Options
    Point buy uber alles. Rolling stats is just asking for trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Respect the rolls.

It's so much fun to do as a group though. Character creation night is always the night someone rolls 6 on a 4d6 reroll 1s.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Respect the rolls.

It's so much fun to do as a group though. Character creation night is always the night someone rolls 6 on a 4d6 reroll 1s.

Whenever I roll stats (which is basically never these days), I let the players pick any set of stats that anyone rolled.

Ed: Man, I hate it when saved drafts you’ve already posted show up again.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    My aasimar wizard courtier is just going to marry Strahd if the campaign ends up how I think it might, that should be fun

You know ... that, uh ... that ...
    ... didn't go so well the last time around. :D:D:D
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Respect the rolls.

Whenever I roll stats (which is basically never these days), I let the players pick any set of stats that anyone rolled.

To be clear marrying Strahd would be how I bow out of the campaign lol

However I'm having fun despite the fact that fights are quite unbalanced

override367 on
  • Options
    Now I'm wondering if you could do some sort of trap with a bag of holding generator that keeps dropping them into portable holes or something when you step on the pressure plate. "oops you're on the astral plane somewhere now" is probably a bit hard to recover from though.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if you could do some sort of trap with a bag of holding generator that keeps dropping them into portable holes or something when you step on the pressure plate. "oops you're on the astral plane somewhere now" is probably a bit hard to recover from though.

tumblr_mm4ars3PoP1qi28m7o1_1280.gif

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I think the real argument I would make is "would an NPC recognize that particular interaction between those items and use them to sacrifice themselves just to screw over the party?" I would think the NPC would first try to surrender and offer something in exchange for their life, or even take the monk's body as hostage rather than suicide. But I don't have much context here other than what you said.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I think the real argument I would make is "would an NPC recognize that particular interaction between those items and use them to sacrifice themselves just to screw over the party?" I would think the NPC would first try to surrender and offer something in exchange for their life, or even take the monk's body as hostage rather than suicide. But I don't have much context here other than what you said.

It's almost always assumed PCs are aware of that limitation and placing that same knowledge with a spellcasting NPC seems perfectly in line.

The real question is how she recognized the Monk's bag of holding. Plenty of scenarios where it would have been obvious but they don't come with labels on them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Was the monk dead dead? Or just mostly dead?

If the monk had not already failed his 3 death saves, then what your boss did could be seen as a grade A dick move to that player as the character could have been revived after the fight.

If the PC was all the way dead, and since this is ToA (assuming they really know going in that death is final), he's entitled to be disappointed and salty about losing a character but that's about it. After his death whatever was done to his body is a moot point. Dead is dead and Acererak has already monged his soul.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Was the monk dead dead? Or just mostly dead?

If the monk had not already failed his 3 death saves, then what your boss did could be seen as a grade A dick move to that player as the character could have been revived after the fight.

If the PC was all the way dead, and since this is ToA (assuming they really know going in that death is final), he's entitled to be disappointed and salty about losing a character but that's about it. After his death whatever was done to his body is a moot point. Dead is dead and Acererak has already monged his soul.

He was unconscious and she plunked 3 arrows into his body (only actually needing 2 to get a kill being within 5 feet), so, dead dead

the way I'm playing TOA, the soul doesn't get mongered until after the revivify window - so if you have a raise dead effect it will work within 1 minute (to represent the person's heart having stopped beating or whatever but they're still potentially saveable). Thing is, the party is out of consumables, mcguffins, takesy-backsies and other trinkets I've sprinkled about to give them second chances, and nobody living had revivify or anything like it

I thought up the bag in bag whammy thing as both a 1. this character knew she was absolutely doomed and wanted to hurt them on her way out (they picked the fight with an enemy they knew outclassed them, and when it looked sketchy for the enemies they tried to flee, and the players cut off their escape and came within a hair of a full TPK as a result, because... cornered, powerful enemies with 6th level spells against a 7th level party) and 2. if he really, reaaaaaallly wants to see this character again - I could have justified his soul not getting mongered as a result (despite what it says about it not mattering if you go to another plane in the book - it gives me the freedom to be wishy washy)

so while he's mostly upset that his duder is stuck in another plane and dead, as far as the players know his soul has indeed been mongered (the stuff about getting him back much later on is just a hint ive been dropping) - at this moment given what the players know I have a lot of ways I can go and I was heavily leaning on definitely being mongered and if they can destroy the soulmonger in time, he can be brought back

Plus he's been arging that as a gith monk he shouldn't be able to have his soul be mongered, which is absolutely not a persuasive argument

override367 on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Tonight I need to figure out how to have my party fight a nightmare or two without them outright killing at least one of them so that the sorcerer can bind one to the infernal tack he picked up a few games ago.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Tonight I need to figure out how to have my party fight a nightmare or two without them outright killing at least one of them so that the sorcerer can bind one to the infernal tack he picked up a few games ago.

Have them be pulling some sort of infernal chariot for generic badman?

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

All the inns in town are booked full for the yearly harvest festival/convention/tournament/whatever.

Except for one run-down, nearly abandoned inn. On Elm Street.

• Options
    Being a Gith does not make your soul special nor un-mongable I appreciate his attempts, but his time as a special super-statted snowflake has come to an end. :)

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

As the party nears the nightmares have the infernal tack start heating up / glowing. When one gets down to 50% hp have it ramp up, same at 25%. I would make it so the tack almost desires the nightmares and it is obvious about it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Terrendos wrote: »

That's fair, I did roll an arcana check for the NPC (for the bags), and she did try to surrender first... for that I did have them roll deception since they admitted they planned on killing her

override367 on
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

As the party nears the nightmares have the infernal tack start heating up / glowing. When one gets down to 50% hp have it ramp up, same at 25%. I would make it so the tack almost desires the nightmares and it is obvious about it.

Thank you very much

I should note the party includes an ostensibly good Paladin

The distinct presence of evil will follow along with the ramp up.

... party dynamic!

It's literally going to be a small herd of nightmares so like the sorc gets a few shots at having one to ride, the paladin gets at least one to smite into the ground. Its literally going to be just a bunch of galloping horses as all the characters are on horseback and the enemy is a herd of horses. Really hope someone uses the entangling rope they just got to rope a nightmare.

Shit now i need good music to play over the start of combat to somehow strike the high horse knights and cowboys feel I'm trying to hit ...

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Thank you very much

I should note the party includes an ostensibly good Paladin

The distinct presence of evil will follow along with the ramp up.

... party dynamic!

It's literally going to be a small herd of nightmares so like the sorc gets a few shots at having one to ride, the paladin gets at least one to smite into the ground. Its literally going to be just a bunch of galloping horses as all the characters are on horseback and the enemy is a herd of horses. Really hope someone uses the entangling rope they just got to rope a nightmare.

Shit now i need good music to play over the start of combat to somehow strike the high horse knights and cowboys feel I'm trying to hit ...

Find the track from the first Ghostrider movie where Nic Cage Ghostrider and Sam Elliot ghostrider ride off into the desert aflame.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    We're dealing with a mission where we'll have to face a lot of undead.

I'm trying to convince my party to do the following combo:

1. Cleric casts ceremony on two characters to marry them, thus giving them an +2 AC bonus for 7 days.

2. Immediately kill character A, rendering character B a widow, allowing character B to benefit again 7 days later.

3. Cast ceremony with the funeral rites on character A, thus making character immune from becoming undead for the next 7 days.

4. Cast revivify on character A.

5. Immediately kill character B, rendering character A a widow, thus allowing character A to regain the benefits of marriage.

6. Cast funeral rites on character B.

7. Cast revivify on character B.

For the cost of 2 x L1, 1xL3, and 300 gp per character per week, you effectively gain a permanent +2 AC and immunity from becoming undead.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Wouldn't well placed Fireballs be a better option? For the undead?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    If your funeral rite lasts less than 55 seconds (which is the window of time you'd have to cast Revivify on the corpse, assuming you started the instant they were killed), you have a very terse religion!

That, and the cleric's god might want to have Words with them about abuses of power.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    We're dealing with a mission where we'll have to face a lot of undead.

I'm trying to convince my party to do the following combo:

1. Cleric casts ceremony on two characters to marry them, thus giving them an +2 AC bonus for 7 days.

2. Immediately kill character A, rendering character B a widow, allowing character B to benefit again 7 days later.

3. Cast ceremony with the funeral rites on character A, thus making character immune from becoming undead for the next 7 days.

4. Cast revivify on character A.

5. Immediately kill character B, rendering character A a widow, thus allowing character A to regain the benefits of marriage.

6. Cast funeral rites on character B.

7. Cast revivify on character B.

For the cost of 2 x L1, 1xL3, and 300 gp per character per week, you effectively gain a permanent +2 AC and immunity from becoming undead.

Ceremony has a 1 Hour Casting time, so Revivify is out. Gotta go for Raise Dead instead which really ups the budget.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Unless your deity thinks it's amusing to exploit loopholes, that sounds like a good way to get an upper planar entity to tell you to knock it off.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Doesn't ceremony specifically say in it that you can only benefit from a given ceremony once ever? At least, for the wedding ceremony?

As a DM I'd probably rule that funeral rites only work on creatures that are actually dead, rather than just the "mostly dead" state that revivify can save you from. Also, "immunity from becoming undead" isn't so terribly huge a buff, it isn't "immunity from becoming dead" which is usually a prerequisite to becoming undead.

Also, as a DM I would enforce the characters to RP as a married couple from that point, which should be reason enough to dissuade the players :P

• Options
    That is incredibly cheesy, IMO, and break every aspect of role-playing. Fake marriages, not even of convenience but of meta-gaming. Murdering your friends. Taking advantage of your gods blessings... Its terrible and you should feel bad for even thinking of it! :)

I might let that work ONCE in my game, if the stakes were high enough narratively, before sending an army of the deities chosen angel-adjacent whatevers to collect all of the offending characters to suffer an eternity of torture and ruin. Do they still have the Wall of the Faithless in the Realms? Clerics get stuffed in the there for sure.

• Options
    I'd basically just require that they worship some kind of goth metal death god. This game's about to get super dark cause we got the murder suicide love birds.

Like they gotta constantly be excitedly talking about their upcoming nuptials but in weirdly verbose morose and stilted dialog. One of these characters has to look like Edgar Allen Poe is what I'm saying.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Doesn't ceremony specifically say in it that you can only benefit from a given ceremony once ever? At least, for the wedding ceremony?

As a DM I'd probably rule that funeral rites only work on creatures that are actually dead, rather than just the "mostly dead" state that revivify can save you from. Also, "immunity from becoming undead" isn't so terribly huge a buff, it isn't "immunity from becoming dead" which is usually a prerequisite to becoming undead.

Also, as a DM I would enforce the characters to RP as a married couple from that point, which should be reason enough to dissuade the players :P

Funeral Rite: You touch one corpse, and for the next 7 days, the target can't become undead by any means short of a Wish spell.
    Wedding: You touch adult humanoids willing to be bonded together in marriage. For the next 7 days, each target gains a +2 bonus to AC while they are within 30 feet of each other. A creature can benefit from this rite again only if widowed.

Funeral Rite is pretty clear, it targets a corpse, but it's unclear whether the protection lasts if the target becomes de-corpsed. For wedding, it depends on your definition of widowed - same issue, are you really a widow if your spouse is resurrected?

• Options
    My CoS players walked into the Watcter house caring Izek's arm as a trophy and introduction, and things were going swimmingly. The lady then introduced them to her political views and resting husband and they went super murder hobo on the place. While being followed by a certain glowy orb only one of them saw but did not know what it was and did not communicate to those who had the arcana to know.

So when they were leaving with her as a hostage with a bag on her head (from a mostly good??? party) there was a certain carriage waiting for them. One of them immediately executes Lady Watchter. Rahadin was not pleased, turned on his aura for 1 round, which immediately convinced them (followed by accusations out of game of being railroaded). This dinner party is going to be much more tense than it has to be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That funeral rite thing sounds like an excellent setup for a bad guy cult of some sort

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I've been dicking around with this random useless item generator and I absolutely love this one someone on reddit got

ILLITHID-CRAFTED FOLDABLE TABLE THAT THINKS YOU'RE UGLY, CRITIQUES YOUR OUTFIT, SPITS OUT A GOLD COIN, AND TELLS YOU TO BUY SOMETHING ELSE TO WEAR WHENEVER YOU ROLL A NATURAL 20

I definitely want to introduce a useful item that does something like this, a sword or something

override367 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    TASTELESS POUCH THAT CAUSES EMOTIONAL PAIN WHENEVER SOMEONE REJECTS YOU

TRANSLUCENT CHASTITY BELT THAT HEALS LAUGHING CREATURES WHENEVER PEOPLE WITHIN 1D20 FT KISS

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    GHOSTS? OOZES? BASILISKS? I’M NOT AFRAID. I HAVE A FUCKING

BLUBBERY ROOSTER THAT FILLS YOU WITH AN OVERWHELMING FEELING OF EMPATHY WHENEVER YOU BOOP SOMETHING ON THE NOSE

Adventure's over guys, let's go home.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    RARITY UPS VALUE, BUT I’M UNSURE IN THE CASE OF THIS

MILE-LONG BAG OF SAND THAT PUTS YOU TO SLEEP WHENEVER YOU ARE NEAR PRODUCTS OF INCEST

That's just awkward to have around in so many ways!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I love the common magic items they added in Xanathar's. My Bard has the illusion Lute and the cloak that billows as if in the window as a bonus action.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze