As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Conflict starting in August

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So, in the lead up to the Nightbourne revolts as an Alliance Paladin you can talk with Lady Lindarin, who pretty much tells you this:
    Your leaders need to get their heads in the game.

Vereesa is so obsessed with her desire for revenge against the Horde that we cannot trust our flank to her.

Tyrande is a sentinel. She know little of war on this type of battlefield. While her scouting is useful she should recuse the Kal'dorei from the main assault.

My blood knights are the only ones prepared to carry the weight of this conflict.

The Night Elves are just bad at fighting anything beyond quick strikes in a forest. Their tree was out at sea... but I guess not far enough for those catepults.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    Also:
    It looks like there will still be 5 capitals, alliance will just be getting a kul tiran one? Horde will get a zandalari one I guess (trolls are the greatest and deserve their own city tbqh)? And where are undead supposed to go? Who in the horde would have them? So many questions.
    I am sure the horde can find some more sewers for the forsaken to live in.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    soylenth wrote: »
    Also:
    It looks like there will still be 5 capitals, alliance will just be getting a kul tiran one? Horde will get a zandalari one I guess (trolls are the greatest and deserve their own city tbqh)? And where are undead supposed to go? Who in the horde would have them? So many questions.
    I am sure the horde can find some more sewers for the forsaken to live in.
    The Forsaken have a little spot at Thunder Bluff but I doubt Baine's gonna let any more of them in after this. Best guess is that some space will be made in or by Orgrimmar. Not like Saurfang will be around to complain about it.

• Options
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    I’m just pissed off they’re making Genn ‘The Wall’ Greymane a lovable ole grandpa.

This is a guy who thought genocide of orcs was the ideal solution, and had a hissy fit when camps were chosen.

Well given that the orcs turned out to be genocidal mass murderers it is possible they think he was not wrong.

• Options
    Maybe they rebuild the destroyed half of silvermoon for the undead

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Fired this bad boy back up.

I was really jazzed about the new races. But, turns out they are gated behind massive requirements. Shame. Unfortunately, I had spent my 2 months in Legion leveling up different characters and doing dungeons and not really doing much rep stuff. The exalted requirement for the Nightborne is gonna be quite a slog. Ah well. How long does it usually take to go from honored to exalted? I haven't tried doing rep stuff since BC.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »

I was really jazzed about the new races. But, turns out they are gated behind massive requirements. Shame. Unfortunately, I had spent my 2 months in Legion leveling up different characters and doing dungeons and not really doing much rep stuff. The exalted requirement for the Nightborne is gonna be quite a slog. Ah well. How long does it usually take to go from honored to exalted? I haven't tried doing rep stuff since BC.

could knock it out in a weekend, probably.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    So, in the lead up to the Nightbourne revolts as an Alliance Paladin you can talk with Lady Lindarin, who pretty much tells you this:

Vereesa is so obsessed with her desire for revenge against the Horde that we cannot trust our flank to her.

Tyrande is a sentinel. She know little of war on this type of battlefield. While her scouting is useful she should recuse the Kal'dorei from the main assault.

My blood knights are the only ones prepared to carry the weight of this conflict.

The Night Elves are just bad at fighting anything beyond quick strikes in a forest. Their tree was out at sea... but I guess not far enough for those catepults.

Liandrin had my favorite takedown of the Night elves in that questline.

Lady Liadrin: The sin'dorei are also scorned by Tyrande and her prideful lot. Yet for many ages her people slept in dens or hid in trees while my people fought to save this world.

Pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Night Elves.

• Options
    To be fair, the Night Elves were a continent away prior to WC3. They had some idea of the races that'd be around due to time-travelers but they weren't exactly told by them how the events of that game or the previous two were going to shake out and that maybe it'd be a good idea if they broke history by making contact before the original Horde's invasion.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Wow! I played most of yesterday, did almost all the quests in Suramar and still only got a little half of the way through honored. I figured with almost all of the quests done I'd be down to just long spawn dailies. Good to know there's other ways to get it.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Guessing alliance never got the memo that Broken Shore was a trap or whatever

Which sounds realistic because alliance intelligence was compromised

They found out in the Before The Storm book IIRC

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Guessing alliance never got the memo that Broken Shore was a trap or whatever

Which sounds realistic because alliance intelligence was compromised

They found out in the Before The Storm book IIRC

Yep, at the meeting between Forsaken and their living families, Anduin and Sylvanas cleared the air about why the Horde had to retreat. Probably helped mend at least a fence-plank or two before the stupidity that ended the meeting happened and tore it down again.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Wow! I played most of yesterday, did almost all the quests in Suramar and still only got a little half of the way through honored. I figured with almost all of the quests done I'd be down to just long spawn dailies. Good to know there's other ways to get it.

if you've finished the insurrection storyline already then you probably are down to doing dailies actually
    at least it's not the grind for lightforged draenai and void elves though, those reps are even worse

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    To be fair there are a lot more WQs for Argus and Army of Light, and you have a couple of weeklies that give 1k rep for each

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I'm not sure what the specific rep breakpoints are, but there might be more of the questline that will unlock when you get a bit more rep. There is an achievement that tracks the various stages of the questline, do you have all of it's objectives or are there still some left? If there are still objectives left then there are still some rep-gated questlines that will help get you the rest of the way.

Some other tips: Do the emissary world quests for the Kirin Tor. You can select a rep token of your choice as a reward. Keep an eye on your order hall mission board and do any missions that award a nightfallen rep token. If you have a good follower party, do any mission that awards a rep token; the bonus objective will be a box that rewards a token for a random rep.

• Options

Actually its not to bad just get the app for the order halls and run the rep missions when they are available and do the emmisary stuff when it is up. It goes pretty fast. Also for suramar you need to do the zone to get that part of it done to do the full story and in doing that it should put you at or close to the rep required.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I thiiiiink they removed the rep requirements gating progression on the insurrection questline

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »

Liandrin had my favorite takedown of the Night elves in that questline.

Lady Liadrin: The sin'dorei are also scorned by Tyrande and her prideful lot. Yet for many ages her people slept in dens or hid in trees while my people fought to save this world.

Pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Night Elves.

Given the sin'dorei just helped commit an act of genocide vs the night elves the scorn seems amply deserved and tyrande was correct in mistrusting them.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Darkmoon Faire starts on Sunday, you'll get a 10% rep bonus from there.

• Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular

Waaaait a second, won’t the new races be available to everyone when BfA goes live? I was ignoring those quest lines because I was in no rush to unlock them. Seems silly to add new races but lock them behind old content for the new expansion. I must be misunderstanding something, right?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Wavechaser wrote: »

Waaaait a second, won’t the new races be available to everyone when BfA goes live? I was ignoring those quest lines because I was in no rush to unlock them. Seems silly to add new races but lock them behind old content for the new expansion. I must be misunderstanding something, right?

The rep requirements are staying.

WarcraftDevs is an official Warcraft developer Twitter account.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Wow, that’s... that’s really stupid. Or will those new reps be somehow incorporated into new BfA content? That would make sense.

• Options

At some point they may remove them but for now all the unlock requirements are still there. The two new ones post BFA launch should be super easy to get. It is basically do the war campaign and max your factions war campaign rep which happens hand and hand with doing the war campaign.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Wow, that’s... that’s really stupid. Or will those new reps be somehow incorporated into new BfA content? That would make sense.

I don't understand what you mean. The allied races that are coming in the future (dark iron, mag'har, zandalari, kul tiran) have BfA related reps because they're being released during BfA. The current allied races have Legion related reps because they were released during Legion.

reVerse on
  • Options
    kaid wrote: »

Actually its not to bad just get the app for the order halls and run the rep missions when they are available and do the emmisary stuff when it is up. It goes pretty fast. Also for suramar you need to do the zone to get that part of it done to do the full story and in doing that it should put you at or close to the rep required.

Ah! I forgot about that app! Thanks!

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't understand what you mean. The allied races that are coming in the future (dark iron, mag'har, zandalari, kul tiran) have BfA related reps because they're being released during BfA. The current allied races have Legion related reps because they were released during Legion.

I am referencing the currently available allied races (void elves etc). They are tied to BfA since they require a pre order to unlock, yet are gated behind legion rep grinds. Was looking forward to messing around with void elves, but my alliance character is boosted and the slog to get exalted Argussian Reach is a daunting task. I’d much rather grind toward those rep requirements while exploring new BfA content. To be clear, I don’t mind the rep requirements, I just don’t agree with locking them to old Legion content.

My question is, are they going to incorporate Argussian Reach rep into new BfA content? I’m guessing not, because Blozzard loves it’s reps, but that would shut me right up.

• Options

I am referencing the currently available allied races (void elves etc). They are tied to BfA since they require a pre order to unlock, yet are gated behind legion rep grinds. Was looking forward to messing around with void elves, but my alliance character is boosted and the slog to get exalted Argussian Reach is a daunting task. I’d much rather grind toward those rep requirements while exploring new BfA content. To be clear, I don’t mind the rep requirements, I just don’t agree with locking them to old Legion content.

My question is, are they going to incorporate Argussian Reach rep into new BfA content? I’m guessing not, because Blozzard loves it’s reps, but that would shut me right up.

No, they're not incorporating Legion reps into BfA. BfA has its own reps.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tying allied race availability to Legion factions is absolutely a plan to get people to sub prior to BfA launch, when Legion reps are current content.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

fwiw, the rep requirement only has to be met on one character. If you have a horde with exalted (or near exalted, to save time) Argussian Reach that works. You just have to do the unlock quest itself on a 110 alliance character.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Tying allied race availability to Legion factions is absolutely a plan to get people to sub prior to BfA launch, when Legion reps are current content.

Which is fine prior to BfA launching, but if they keep the new races gated behind legion rep grinds after BfA launches, well, that’s pretty much fucktarded.

• Options
    Yeah, it would make sense to open the Legion rep allied races to everyone as of launch of BFA and reaching 110/completing the basic world quests associated with them. So the Highmountain/Suramar inssurection on one side and the assault on Argus for the other.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Which is fine prior to BfA launching, but if they keep the new races gated behind legion rep grinds after BfA launches, well, that’s pretty much fucktarded.

This is a pretty bold statement to make when there's already numerous unlocks tied to "old content".

If anything, it would be strange if they did anything different.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Warlock Class mounts unlocked! Also I got a guildmate the Long-Forgotten Hippogryph too!

Additionally, I did the Lucid Nightmare. Still need to do the Sun Darter.

Remaining goals before BFA:
    Margoss items
    Rated Battlegrounds maybe?
    Paladin Class Mounts
    Plate set from the Seat of the Triumvirate transmog quest

You can probably get the fisher friend toys and items if you are willing to fish for 6 days for about 1-2hrs per day

I got those! I spent a week or so when not banging my head against Mage Tower fishing those up.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

This is a pretty bold statement to make when there's already numerous unlocks tied to "old content".

Can you give me an example? An example where Blizzard offered something (new race or whatever), required the pre-purchase of a new expansion, but tied the rep to the previous expansions content to acquire it?

I’m not trying to be a goose, I’m genuinely curious.

• Options
    There does seem to be an oddly large amount of design decisions this time tied to "what if we did shitty things that forced people to play longer in ways they don't want to in order to unlock the ways they do."

Which... isn't really surprising so much. The brazen-ness of it is sort of jarring though.

• Options
    Also, in order to play devil's advocate, I was wondering where I got the idea the Allied races would be available to everyone. So I went back to the World of Warcraft website, where they are being advertised. The site explicitely says:

Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged Draenei, Nightborne, and Void Elves:
    "Recruit early with pre-purchase"

Is there any other way to interpret this other than: "pre purchase now and you have the ability to recruit these races EARLY (obviously behind reasonable gated requirements), but, once the expansion is released, everyone will be able to recruit these races".

They are selling us the expansion by dangling these new allied races in front of us, and saying "hey you can get these early if you pre purchase", which is fine and all, but then when the expansion is released you aren't going to be get these new races at all unless you do weeks of rep grinding behind old content? What?

Am I out of line by thinking this is ridiculous?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Can you give me an example? An example where Blizzard offered something (new race or whatever), required the pre-purchase of a new expansion, but tied the rep to the previous expansions content to acquire it?

Legion had something like that with Demon Hunters, but just not with reputations, but levels. You could pre-purchase to get early access to demon hunters, but you couldn't actually make a demon hunter unless you had a character at least level 70, even after Legion went live.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think the rep grind in what is soon to be outdated content that requires unlocking is dumb and I don't see the point of it. Hopefully they turn it off in 8.1 or something.

The expansion is always a great time to draw in new players or draw back old players who quit, and locking exciting new content behind a previous expansion's rep grind is counter to that goal.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    to be fair if you randomly started clearcutting the forests of another sovereign nation on earth you would also get into a lot of trouble

What sovereign nations? Did Grom miss the, "You are now entering Night Elfia," sign?

You're not wrong, but this is also the basic premise for a lot of "tragic downtrodden poor/weak get curbstomped by territorial elite/powerful" stories. You know, the hunter with a starving family who killed a hare on the lord's land by accident, TNG's Ensigns of Command, etc..

The mission prior to the cenarius one where all the cutting was taking place, including a mechanic where pillaging defended NE trees of life was practically mandatory. The Orcs knew this area was inhabited but Grom's response was "kill them all, cut all the trees down"

• Options
    edited August 2018

Legion had something like that with Demon Hunters, but just not with reputations, but levels. You could pre-purchase to get early access to demon hunters, but you couldn't actually make a demon hunter unless you had a character at least level 70, even after Legion went live.

Okay, while technically yes, that would be considered gated content, tying the requirement to unlock a class that what, starts at level 100, to having a level 70 character, is entirely different than an exalted rep grind.

Edit: Apparently DH's stat at 98, not 100.

Wavechaser on
This discussion has been closed.