As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now [Cars]

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Bloody hell. :eek:

Here it is, the donut of shame:
    32rm1w8c5vku.jpg

The tyre is dead, the hole was too close to the shoulder. Going to be tomorrow before it has a new one on it.

Could have been a lot worse!

Jazz on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Wow that is a donut of shame.

I have tire insurance because run flats suck but apparently this one was too old so I needed to buy a new one. Whatever.

No rim damage or anything else.

Also! My free maintenance ran out so I get to start doing my own oil changes again, which I’m looking forward to.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I like the donut of shame. That's a solid idea.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I like the safety idea of the donut of shame. One problem though, I like the color of those rims and might put that paint on all four...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'd rather have the donut of shame than the nothing Ford gave me, lol.

• Options
    I do think it's a good idea, it's super clear what it is, but it would do the job of alerting other drivers a bit better if it happened to be on the other side of the car (because UK, anyone passing me will be on the right). And only proper petrolheads look to see the width of the rear tyres to spot that one is much skinnier. A lot of other drivers would never notice it.

Perhaps some sort of magnetic sign on the back of the car might be a good idea when you're stuck on a donut. I've got a warning triangle (I kept it from an ancient Mercedes C180 I had years ago), but that's only useful when I'm stopped.

It's a pretty great colour, though. And it tickles me that it's an alloy rather than a steelie. Spared no expense!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The whole tyre needs to be orange

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Did someone say SPACE SAVERS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Now that is what I call "hilarious-dumb"

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Donut is back in its concealed hidey-hole, and a proper tyre is on. All back to rights :+1:

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Anyone want to see what 800 pounds worth of damage to a fiesta ST looks like?

Bonus cat pics because he was interested in what I was taking pictures of.

SbaThE4.jpg

WvBWHpy.jpg

wQV42T4.jpg

For some light bumper damage from being reversed into they've pretty much quoted me for replacing the entire rear end of the car.

e: hmm can't make the pics work on mobile I'll have to fix it later

Casual on
  • Options
    Busted links there, @Casual.

• Options
    Ah there we go fixed links

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh you mean the currency. So £800 worth of damage.
    For some reason I thought you meant you got hit by some livestock.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Yeah we're talking britbucks. I was hoping I could get away with just replacing the diffuser but naturally they say the entire rear bumper needs replaced.

• Options
    Awesome kitteh. Awesome car, too, as it happens. Less awesome the rest of it. I know bodywork is expensive but that is seriously taking the piss.

I'd be looking for a diffuser on eBay or something.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Anyone want to see what 800 pounds worth of damage to a fiesta ST looks like?

Bonus cat pics because he was interested in what I was taking pictures of.

SbaThE4.jpg

WvBWHpy.jpg

wQV42T4.jpg

For some light bumper damage from being reversed into they've pretty much quoted me for replacing the entire rear end of the car.

e: hmm can't make the pics work on mobile I'll have to fix it later

Take the insurance money and run.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Got a sudden flat at 70mph today in my XF, about 40 miles from home (to which I was at least heading, thankfully). Managed to change it and limp home on the space saver spare which, hilariously, is on a bright red alloy wheel, which I have now dubbed the "donut of shame".

Have to wait until tomorrow to go to my trusty local garage to see if the tyre, as we spell it here, is salvageable - it's just got a fairly neat round hole in the tread, but it did deflate suddenly at speed and I couldn't stop as quickly as I'd have liked - and to double check the rim is okay; it looked alright to me at a glance, but looking it over carefully wasn't my priority at the time.

And an iffy fuel pump got a few drops of diesel on my fingers and that smell just does. not. come. off. Or rather, out.

Not my best day ever! Credit to the car for staying as remarkably stable as it did in that situation, though.

I'm trying to remember the last time I needed to change a wheel when out and about. Probably in the '90s...

Getting diesel smell off your hands - dishwashing liquid and a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad will do it. Or a bar of mechanic's soap like Solvol will do the job too.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The couple months since I replaced the oil filter housing assembly on the VW, oil continued to disappear. It was using around 2 quarts between changes previously, since the repair it used three. Which lead me to think, great, I spent all that time and money and it didn't fix the problem, it's probably the head gasket and I'm screwed. So I went to change the oil tonight since it was time, pull the shroud off the bottom of the engine and... no oil. The front and bottom of the engine is bone dry. I get my inspection cam and snake it around the front of the engine, nothing, oil filter housing is clean. There's been no oil under the car when it's parked, there's no smoke. I have a 3 quart per 5k oil leak and it's frigging invisible.

Also, while going to check germanautoparts.com to look at pricing on a timing belt kit since that's coming soon I discovered they closed at the end of June so that's awful. Buying from them has literally kept this car going.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    The couple months since I replaced the oil filter housing assembly on the VW, oil continued to disappear. It was using around 2 quarts between changes previously, since the repair it used three. Which lead me to think, great, I spent all that time and money and it didn't fix the problem, it's probably the head gasket and I'm screwed. So I went to change the oil tonight since it was time, pull the shroud off the bottom of the engine and... no oil. The front and bottom of the engine is bone dry. I get my inspection cam and snake it around the front of the engine, nothing, oil filter housing is clean. There's been no oil under the car when it's parked, there's no smoke. I have a 3 quart per 5k oil leak and it's frigging invisible.

Also, while going to check germanautoparts.com to look at pricing on a timing belt kit since that's coming soon I discovered they closed at the end of June so that's awful. Buying from them has literally kept this car going.

There is only one explanation...

Oil Ninjas.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    When you put new oil in it, maybe check for a blue smoke out of the exhaust from a cold start? If there's no obvious leak then you might be burning it - pointing to your original fear of a head gasket issue.

• Options
    Zero smoke. Checked it last night right after the change, then again this morning when I left for work, really stomped on it sitting in the garage and nothing. The lack of dripped oil when parked makes me think it's an only while under pressure leak as opposed to seepage from a faulty seal or something, which would point to the PCV and evap system, but all that's on top of the engine and would make for a really obvious leak.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    If it's seeping out under pressure, you would still see oil residue somewhere on the engine from where the oil leaked. If the engine is clean and dry, and there's no spots under the car, then the only other explanation is that it's being burned.

3 quarts in 5,000 miles isn't really enough to show much blue smoke, if any. I had a Saturn that burned a quart every 800 miles and even that hardly smoked. The classic cloud of blue smoke doesn't really appear until you're burning a quart every fill up.

EDIT: I think that while a head gasket technically could cause oil to be burned, it's not the most likely place. Headgasket failure symptoms are usually overheating, coolant and oil mixing, and loss of compression. If the car is still running well and you're not seeing milkshake-like foam under the radiator or oil caps, it's highly unlikely to be a head gasket problem. Much more likely to be worn valve seals or piston rings - and I have to stress that unless this is causing some major issue like stalling or failure to start, I wouldn't bother messing with it. Just keep tabs on the oil level and drive.

mRahmani on
  • Options
    Yeah, no coolant and oil mixing. Still gets 31mpg and doesn't struggle under acceleration. I just can't figure out how the oil loss went up after fixing an actual leak.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tesla has apparently decided to follow in the footsteps of a famous car manufacturer.

Namely, John DeLorean:
    Hansen claims Tesla received a written notification from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration/Storey County Sheriff’s Office Task Force in May, “alleging that several Tesla employees may be participants in a narcotics trafficking ring involving the sale of significant quantities of cocaine and possibly crystal methamphetamine at the Gigafactory on behalf of a Mexican drug cartel from Sonora Mexico.”

Hansen said that he told Tesla on June 12 that he had “corroborated connections between certain Tesla employees at the time and various alleged members of the Mexican drug cartel identified in the DEA report as located in Mexico, that he urged Tesla to disclose his findings to law enforcement and to the DEA task force, but that Tesla refused to do so and instead advised him that Tesla would hire ‘outside vendors’ to further investigate the issue.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hey car thread, I'm back

So my wife's Prius has been declared a total loss after Monday's historic flooding in Madison's west side. She was at work when the flooding began in earnest and an hour before the store even closed, the roads surrounding it were impassible. Her car was in part of the lot that flooded over and we're getting a (pretty reasonable, honestly, like 87% of value) check for it from Geico.

We're looking at getting her another Prius and trying to do it fast since I assume a lot of folks are also replacing their cars this week. There's a 2016 Prius II about 70 miles away that's very attractively priced and I'm trying to figure out why, perhaps. This is the Carfax;

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JTDKBRFU2G3012404&partner=CAA

It was delivered to a Chicago dealership where it was driven for about 5000 miles in four months without being titled as sold. Is that a dealer loaner, or someone at the dealership using it as a demo? That's a lot of mileage for four months (edit: well, maybe not really? that could be someone's daily commute from the suburbs to the dealership.) The rest of the vehicle history doesn't seem to have anything untoward in it.

Can a dealership employee drive a new car like that, basically use it as their daily driver, then sell it to someone after 5k miles and still have it be a one owner car?

Edit: There's also no service records between 5k and 33k miles. That's disconcerting.

Rius on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Rius wrote: »
    Hey car thread, I'm back

So my wife's Prius has been declared a total loss after Monday's historic flooding in Madison's west side. She was at work when the flooding began in earnest and an hour before the store even closed, the roads surrounding it were impassible. Her car was in part of the lot that flooded over and we're getting a (pretty reasonable, honestly, like 87% of value) check for it from Geico.

We're looking at getting her another Prius and trying to do it fast since I assume a lot of folks are also replacing their cars this week. There's a 2016 Prius II about 70 miles away that's very attractively priced and I'm trying to figure out why, perhaps. This is the Carfax;

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JTDKBRFU2G3012404&partner=CAA

It was delivered to a Chicago dealership where it was driven for about 5000 miles in four months without being titled as sold. Is that a dealer loaner, or someone at the dealership using it as a demo? That's a lot of mileage for four months (edit: well, maybe not really? that could be someone's daily commute from the suburbs to the dealership.) The rest of the vehicle history doesn't seem to have anything untoward in it.

Can a dealership employee drive a new car like that, basically use it as their daily driver, then sell it to someone after 5k miles and still have it be a one owner car?

Edit: There's also no service records between 5k and 33k miles. That's disconcerting.

Yes dealerships can do that. At least that's what I experienced at my local Mercedes dealership. A C300 in the showroom was a CPO with low miles that had been the branch manager's daily driver for a couple of months.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Seems like it was used as a loaner or demo vehicle before being sold. At that age and mileage, it still the manufacturer warranty in place for a while; I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I might be worried if it was a sports car, but I doubt anybody was beating the snot out of a Prius for the first 5,000 miles.

• Options
    Rius, last year I got a new 2017 Prius Prime (plug-in electric version of a regular prius) for about $17k. That might be worth looking into if your state has an EV tax credit. Because of it's smaller battery it qualifies for only $4,500 of the $7,500 federal tax credit.

• Options
    The 'Ring is where heroes are forged;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd7DA14V12A

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Is that a Daihatsu Sirion?

Fair play for attacking the 'ring in that.

• Options
    Yes, you can have too much stance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlez1sO3Y9g

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Welp, it's no longer academic. I just signed a bill of sale on a brand new Infiniti Q60 Red Sport.

Unfortunately, I live in Canada's far north, so I won't be picking it up until Aug 28th (Have to fly down, vacation is booked for then). When I do, I'll post pictures.

Ended up getting the red with black interior.

Should be good times.
    Four hundred horsepower good times

I picked it up.

40301203_10157402441569796_5848957970603311104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5934f3903a53857d92ff1d599c340836&oe=5BF93BAA

My biggest worry: How comfortable is it on a long drive. That question was answered right away because the first thing I did was the 3 hour drive from Edmonton to Calgary. It is sooooo comfortable. Like, more so than my Impreza, even though it's slightly less roomy. All the little touches for convenience are awesome as well. 360 degree cameras, auto lights, wipers, mirrors. Like, all I need to do is drive. The car handles everything else.

And it's so goddamn fast. It gets to 180 kph effortlessly. Scarily so. It's shocking how much power it has.

So of course I'm having the time of my life right now. :)

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Damn.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQdlCQmzUAM

Lego built a full size Bugatti Chiron using over a million Technic pieces. And then they drove it. It has about 5hp and used more than 2300 Technic motors.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I sure am glad I sold my Tesla stock a few weeks ago when it hit 340. It's right under 263 right now, even lower than than 270 I bought at originally. I swear this stock is on a regular cycle of rise and fall every few months. It starts with Tesla meeting some goal set by the financial industry. Some good news comes out and it feeds back on itself driving the stock up. Maybe Elon has a particularly good interview or a new product announcement and it goes up some more. This drives more positive press and it hits a peak. Than like clockwork something comes along and everyone starts predicting doom and gloom for the company. The stock price starts falling. During this, Elon will say something stupid in an interview or just totally fuck up a public appearance during depressing it's value. Eventually Elon manages to pull his foot out of his mouth and meet some production goals. The press coverage improves and the stock price starts going up again.

I'm waiting for it to bottom out and start going back up so I can buy some more. I made a cool $1500 off the last cycle.

• Options
    One of my coworkers just got his Model 3 last week after 2.5 years of waiting. We give him so much shit because he is a believer. This is what happens when a company is partially built on the cult of personality of a slightly unstable CEO.

As for the car it was a ton of fun to drive in, but I would hate the touch screen only interface. It just seems so unsafe.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    One of my coworkers just got his Model 3 last week after 2.5 years of waiting. We give him so much shit because he is a believer. This is what happens when a company is partially built on the cult of personality of a slightly unstable CEO.

As for the car it was a ton of fun to drive in, but I would hate the touch screen only interface. It just seems so unsafe.

I'm still waiting for someone to get one up here. I'd LOVE to see how an electric car handles -50 degrees celsius.

• Options
    edited September 2018

I'm still waiting for someone to get one up here. I'd LOVE to see how an electric car handles -50 degrees celsius.

If it is anything like my plug-in hybrid prius it loses 30% of its range when it is around 30F or lower.

After a quick google search I found this which seems to be what I would expect:
    Leaf_Range_Cold_Weather_FleetCarma.png
    As can be seen in the plots, the maximum ranges (green lines) have available ranges well above the average. These trips could have been taken by gentle drivers taking care to utilize regenerative braking as much as possible, on clear roads. These drivers also could have seen their range extended by preheating or cooling the cabin while the vehicle was still plugged in.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular

There are two Teslas tooling around town here and I desperately want to flag them over and ask them questions. I'm not sure if they drive them year-round, though.