As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] No, we're never going to stop talking about pot legalization.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Time to buy some silver spraypaint.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It is so smoky that there was this spotlight on in the middle of the day attached to a skyscraper, and only when I turned to get a proper look at it did I realise it was the sun.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Disco11 wrote: »

That might be a bit glib of a take considering the massive risk to people with those fires. Think about how you would have taken that comment from someone in Saskatchewan a couple years ago when Fort MacMurray was on fire.

It was meant in jest. We have firefighters helping out over there and BC was quick to respond when we were in need.

My eyeballs just feel like they have been sandblasted

I know, life just must be real shitty for people in BC with all of this going on. I'm sure they'd rather not hear jokes about it is all.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I'm kind of surprised it took this long to declare the state of emergency, though I'm from a province that isn't as into the burning-down-annually thing so I have no idea where the line would be drawn.
    And it's another fun day down in the Okanagan
    3185zx7xku5t.jpg

One of my best friends is moving there this week. She sure picked a hell of a time for it, gah.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised it took this long to declare the state of emergency, though I'm from a province that isn't as into the burning-down-annually thing so I have no idea where the line would be drawn.
    3185zx7xku5t.jpg

One of my best friends is moving there this week. She sure picked a hell of a time for it, gah.

I'm headed there for a family holiday next week, perfect!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I think the smoke has actually gotten worse...

wFZUPxnh.jpg

I live quite close to downtown, can't see anything...

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya I live in a trailer park, and later at night, I can't even see the trailer across from me

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    It was rather dark out this morning thanks to the haze. The street lights didn't even turn off until after 8AM, which isn't supposed to happen for another few months :P

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I remember a call-in show back home in NL where someone was saying their opinion and the host was perfectly fine, but the moment he spouted off some clearly untrue bullshit, the host shut that down HARD. So it's possible to have a non-garbage call-in show with the right host... It's just really hard to get the right host.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Jacoby wrote: »
    I remember a call-in show back home in NL where someone was saying their opinion and the host was perfectly fine, but the moment he spouted off some clearly untrue bullshit, the host shut that down HARD. So it's possible to have a non-garbage call-in show with the right host... It's just really hard to get the right host.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have those C-SPAN call in shows, which are at least the 3rd or so circle of hell for the host.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Wow, it was hazy from the smoke in Winnipeg all day today. Obviously not near as bad, but very noticeable even with that kind of distance from the fires.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Jacoby wrote: »

Call-in shows should be hosted by clones of As It Happens' hosts while they're in a pissy mood about the events of the day. I'd listen to that for hours.

(I wonder if Oxfam's CEO ever got out of the burn ward after the interview with them this spring...)

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Wait, I missed that. I love a good trip to the As It Happens burn ward.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    I think this is the interview in question: http://www.cbc.ca/listen/shows/as-it-happens/segment/15520572

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    3185zx7xku5t.jpg

I'm in a similar boat - me and a friend have a roadtrip planned (Calgary to Kelowna to Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Kamloops, Banff, Calgary) for a couple weeks from now.

I guess we'll be doing a little less hiking then we had thought...

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    3185zx7xku5t.jpg

Just had two groups of friends cancel theirs.
    3185zx7xku5t.jpg

I'm in a similar boat - me and a friend have a roadtrip planned (Calgary to Kelowna to Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle, Kamloops, Banff, Calgary) for a couple weeks from now.

I guess we'll be doing a little less hiking then we had thought...

Hiking now would suck unfortunately

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Wow, it's almost like eco-tech isn't just single-person solar panels and windmills, and some of it has been successfully commercialized by large powerful corporations, who will then act like large powerful corporations do when you yank them out of the feeding trough.

Who fucking knew?

Everyone but Doug fucking Ford, apparently.

God, capitalists are fucking idiots.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    He does seem flabbergasted that he doesn't wield absolute unfettered power over the province now that he's premiere. People and corporations can and do have legal avenues they can pursue when he does this bullshit. I despair at the cost taxpayers will suffer not only in terms of damage to the province generally, but in real dollars we have to pay to support his litigation defenses. Of which I suspect there will be many.

• Options
    Gotta love the whole "I'm the boss, and I'm going to run the government like a business, 'like a business' defined as 'I'm the boss and what I say goes'" mindset running full tilt into reality.

When you see people dancing around the phrase "run the government like a business," you pretty much always see someone who think it's an absolute monarchy if you're Firm And Decisive enough to make it one.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Wow, it's almost like eco-tech isn't just single-person solar panels and windmills, and some of it has been successfully commercialized by large powerful corporations, who will then act like large powerful corporations do when you yank them out of the feeding trough.

Who fucking knew?

Everyone but Doug fucking Ford, apparently.

God, capitalists are fucking idiots.

Populist. The word you are looking for is populist.

• Options
    Had to cross the main bridge in town I don't cross often. At center it's a raised arc.

With the smoke when you hit that arc, you cannot see either shore or the water, just a bridge thru nothingness.

Creepy af

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Had to cross the main bridge in town I don't cross often. At center it's a raised arc.

With the smoke when you hit that arc, you cannot see either shore or the water, just a bridge thru nothingness.

Creepy af

It's super disquieting, isn't it?

When Yellowknife had it bad a few years back, it got so bad people were having trouble breathing (Even me, with no respiratory issues).

When ash started falling on the city, that was freaky. And then there was a thunderstorm that came and turned the sky pitch black in the afternoon (This was when Yellowknife has 24 hours daylight) and the rain stained everything black.

Basically, it feels apocalyptic.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Creepy af

When Yellowknife had it bad a few years back, it got so bad people were having trouble breathing (Even me, with no respiratory issues).

When ash started falling on the city, that was freaky. And then there was a thunderstorm that came and turned the sky pitch black in the afternoon (This was when Yellowknife has 24 hours daylight) and the rain stained everything black.

My bosses daughter was born very premature and has had respiratory issues her whole life. She's kinda freaking out about this.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Michelle Rempel's current fixation seems to be the terrifying menace that is fact-checkers.

Not really looking forward to the possibility of that kind of thing gaining traction and "expert" becoming a Brexit-style four-letter word. There's enough contempt for people who actually know what they're talking about as is.

Of course, this is the party that coined "committing sociology."

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    It's getting so bad you can't even just say a bunch of lies anymore, without having someone show up and correct you.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Funny, wasn't she just tearing into Bernier/Liberals for spouting ideology (on immigration and diversity) without facts or data?

Then she gets pissy about the factcheckers providing facts/data that aren't to her liking. Of course. How dare the facts not check in with Michelle Rempel for her opinion?! How could reality possibly not take her perspective into account!

Edit: A thought bubbling in my head - it's really remarkable how Michelle Rempel has managed to take some of the basic outlines of liberalism and progressivism and appropriate them to pair with her conservative ideology. People complain about how Justin Trudeau is a centrist liberal "virtue-signalling" as a feminist, but Rempel takes it to a whole other level, dragging progressive virtues all the way to the other side of the political spectrum. She loves facts, until they contradict her. She is a feminist, in the decidedly anti-feminist Conservative party. She is pro-LGBTQ, in the party that only managed to get around to accepting gay marriage last year and still hates the T, never mind the Q. The woman is a walking pile of cognitive dissonance/fake liberal honey trap.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Gotta love the whole "I'm the boss, and I'm going to run the government like a business, 'like a business' defined as 'I'm the boss and what I say goes'" mindset running full tilt into reality.

When you see people dancing around the phrase "run the government like a business," you pretty much always see someone who think it's an absolute monarchy if you're Firm And Decisive enough to make it one.

Well, often, running a business, especially one you inherited or were appointed to via cronyism, means throwing a giant fucking temper tantrum and forcing your underlings to clean it up.

So.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Creepy af

Smoooooke on the water, fire in the sky

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

Creepy af

We were driving to Grande Prairie yesterday and the smoke got so bad around Crooked Creek that at 3:30 in the afternoon the sky was near black and the headlights came on. It was weird as hell.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This was Yellowknife at 3PM on the day in question:
    dark-dinner-hour-yk.jpg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Funny, wasn't she just tearing into Bernier/Liberals for spouting ideology (on immigration and diversity) without facts or data?

Then she gets pissy about the factcheckers providing facts/data that aren't to her liking. Of course. How dare the facts not check in with Michelle Rempel for her opinion?! How could reality possibly not take her perspective into account!

Edit: A thought bubbling in my head - it's really remarkable how Michelle Rempel has managed to take some of the basic outlines of liberalism and progressivism and appropriate them to pair with her conservative ideology. People complain about how Justin Trudeau is a centrist liberal "virtue-signalling" as a feminist, but Rempel takes it to a whole other level, dragging progressive virtues all the way to the other side of the political spectrum. She loves facts, until they contradict her. She is a feminist, in the decidedly anti-feminist Conservative party. She is pro-LGBTQ, in the party that only managed to get around to accepting gay marriage last year and still hates the T, never mind the Q. The woman is a walking pile of cognitive dissonance/fake liberal honey trap.
    (I only caught up on the last 8-ish pages of the thread, so apologies if this is old somehow)
    You've reminded me of a rather odd moment from the Halifax Pride Parade last month. As you might expect, all the major political parties had representation, but the CPC entry certainly chose a fascinating course ... Their whole "float" campaigned for an online petition to put a stop to conversion therapy. Like ... guys, there is nobody here you're appealing to. <_<

• Options
    Ok, things are getting scary now.
    ovvuz7v8t5ba.jpg

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Uh, any chance of bugging out of that air mixture for a bit?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    holy crap...
    they're gonna need a bigger chart.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    It's not quite that bad here in the Fraser but the sun is an angry-looking tangerine ball peering through the haze.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Up to 410 now as I get ready to go to a 10 hr shift that's mostly outside.

Wee

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    Speaking of dangerous, unsightly pollutants, the National Citizens Alliance, one of those "we're not racist, we love most sorts of white people!" organizations founded by the guy who kicked up that fabricated anti-Muslim media circus in Red Deer last year, tried to hold a rally in Halifax to educate the people on the hideous menace that is anyone in Canada not of long-term British descent.

They were outnumbered fifteen to one by counterdemonstrators.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I’m not sure if it’s because of the fires, but here in Sw Ontario, the moon and sun have had a reddish tinge to them, despite being pretty high in the sky. It was kinda creepy walking in the morning and having an orange sun that you could look straight at.