Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm still waiting for that official army builder.

GW wanted me to buy like $200 worth of books to fully play my army in 7th edition, which was ridiculous. I don't know how anyone would be surprised at the rampant use of pdfs as a result. Even now in 8th edition you're expected to buy a $60 rulebook, a $40-$60 codex (per army), plus a $35 FAQ every single year to be up to date... and you can't even trust that the books are accurate. Add another $25 on top of that if you have index only models that you need the datasheets for.

Meanwhile you can buy a decent tablet for $50.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    The rules are already available for free online for anyone who wants them, 40k rules information piracy is rampant.

IMO Games Workshop should just realize that the people who are buying codices are doing so because they like to physically hold a codex or put one on their bookshelf and should just give the rules away for free on their website, PDFs, a wiki and an army builder. I think they won't see a significant decline in the number of physical codex purchases and it will be easier to keep track of the current state of the rules if you can just trust the army builder to be right.

Corvus Belli does this for Infinity and this model has allowed them, a much smaller company with no big IP draw, to not only survive but grow pretty impressively.

They have done this with Age of Sigmar.

There are a few bonuses you get for the books (formations and artifact rules and such).

But they already have numbers on this because they have run a pilot program.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So here’s a fun(I lied it’s terrible) interaction.

A Death Guard tallyman regains a CP on a roll of seven on 2d6 when you use a Death Guard strategem.

Rerolls (as well as auto pass, interrupt and draw a secondary objective) strategems aren’t Death Guard.

So he can’t use his ability on the biggest chunk of your CP spending.

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    A lot of the best warlord traits were already auras, you just had to put zero work into having them fire.

If anything these space wolf ones seem bad by comparison.

Your warlord needs to make a save? Well I couldn’t target your warlord until we was the closest model anyway, and now I’m definitely just killing everything around him first.

Well, the Space Wolves warlord could be a giant cavalry character on the front lines with an obnoxious stat line and a billion attacks. Ignore that at your own peril.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    I've been reading up on some Kill Team stuff and I don't get something about Tau Drones, Shield Drones in particular.
    They have a 4+ invulnerable save, but short of my opponent deliberatly shooting at them the only way it actually shields anyone is with saviour protocols, which just give him a wound without allowing a save.
    Am I missing something here? Why should I ever take one shield drone over... well any other kind of drone that actually does stuff

Looking foward to a game I set up tomorow with my Tau facing Dark Angels. Still trying to get those 100 points assebled...

The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    They have a 4+ invulnerable save, but short of my opponent deliberatly shooting at them the only way it actually shields anyone is with saviour protocols, which just give him a wound without allowing a save.
    Am I missing something here? Why should I ever take one shield drone over... well any other kind of drone that actually does stuff

Looking foward to a game I set up tomorow with my Tau facing Dark Angels. Still trying to get those 100 points assebled...

This is how shield drones worked when the tau codex first came out as well. They fixed it by giving the shield drones a feel no pain roll to protect them from the mortal wound.
    Looks like they forgot about it for killteam. *eyeroll*

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    It Burns wrote: »
    I've been reading up on some Kill Team stuff and I don't get something about Tau Drones, Shield Drones in particular.

This is how shield drones worked when the tau codex first came out as well. They fixed it by giving the shield drones a feel no pain roll to protect them from the mortal wound.

Yeah I used to play in 4th edition and I could assign hits to them, but with the way kill team works they really do nothing. I tought I was missing some obscure rule but if that's how they gun nowdays I'll just get them some carbines, Gun Drones can do the same job

The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I wish GW would have expanded on the hellfrost guns for Space Wolves.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »

Yeah I used to play in 4th edition and I could assign hits to them, but with the way kill team works they really do nothing. I tought I was missing some obscure rule but if that's how they gun nowdays I'll just get them some carbines, Gun Drones can do the same job

They FAQed the codex shield drones to have a 5+(?) FNP, so they can actually tank hits pretty well over other drones, which just take the hit. The Killteam ones just do nothing.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I found an old armourcast Tyranid Exocrine on eBay painted up exactly the same as my own army’s color scheme. 60 bucks later I’m the proud owner of a giant purple penis beetle.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I think I've settled on my Yriel's Raiders scheme for the Fire Dragons. I think.

h7FRU8j.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because I bought the Ad Mech and Custodes codexes because I was curious about them I might buy the Ork one as a digital since I like the fact they auto update and I am curious how it works and so on

• Options
    edited August 2018
    TheColonel wrote: »
    I think I've settled on my Yriel's Raiders scheme for the Fire Dragons. I think.

h7FRU8j.jpg

This was their colour scheme an epoch ago
    8oejc1qpcjgg.png
    vkxch70odirg.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    I've been doing my best to try and pull as much from those classic color sets as possible. Going from dark grey urban camo Guard to bright and garrish has been a bit of a hard shift but I'm getting into it.

• Options
    I understand why though as some of those paint schemes from the rogue trader eldar got me into the game but it was very daunting to even try them at that scale

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Matrias wrote: »
    i'm one model away from finishing my giant 'refresh my army' undertaking. it was a project i told myself i was never going to do and then i ended up starting accidentally and continuing through out of neurotic obsession. it started with me wanting to get rid of some and chapterhouse doors on my rhinos and spiralled out of control, leading me to either touch up and re-paint every model in my collection. a bunch of models that didn't make the cut and were retired - models that couldn't be salvaged or things I didn't care to go through the effort of repainting.

I get a feeling that that Ragnar conversion I made for your SS gift about ten years ago is now living on a farm upstate, running with the frost wolves. :biggrin:

*edit*
    Jesus, 10 years? I've been on this forum way too long. :P
    oh yeah. he was Ragnar for a bit and then i used him a as blood claw for a bit and then he got donated with his squad to a game store that a former colleague opened out in White Rock, BC.

also... has it been 10 years? can't be... that secret santa was, like... (*checks when the 2009 space wolves codex came out) 2009? shiiiit. 9 years isn't exactly better. what the fuck. i thought i had only been painting for 5. i know i've been posting here under different usernames since 2003.
    Shut up, I'm old and my crotchety ears can't hear you! I'm too busy thinking about how when I started posting in these threads, people still talked about eldar dreanoughts.

Speaking of, halloo, ya old bastards!
    brainleech wrote:
    vkxch70odirg.png

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Found someone to go half on the tooth and claw box with me. Pretty happy about it, dropping $80 for $150+ in Space Wolves. I kind of want to see if he wants to do a second one or see if someone else wants to go in half on one.

Also saw that Warstore is selling them for $127.50 down from $150 which is pretty awesome.

So stoked for Space Wolves and building up the army. I feel like my Necrons are in a good spot so I don't feel compelled to buy anything for the Necrons except the rest of the named HQs.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I really need to find my necron army it's in a box I have not looked in an epoch I think
    I know I have that apoc army from long ago and I got the previous edition of the start collecting just for the walker but like my Tyranid army I just need the HQ and elites/heavy hitters as I have none

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I love how weird the RT era eldar were. All bio organic guns and eye melting camouflage.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    A lot of the best warlord traits were already auras, you just had to put zero work into having them fire.

If anything these space wolf ones seem bad by comparison.

Your warlord needs to make a save? Well I couldn’t target your warlord until we was the closest model anyway, and now I’m definitely just killing everything around him first.

Well, the Space Wolves warlord could be a giant cavalry character on the front lines with an obnoxious stat line and a billion attacks. Ignore that at your own peril.

I mean, I'm assuming that's the intent of the design; to force a no-win decision on your opponent. Will they single out your Warlord and thereby trigger his aura, or focus on other targets and let him run rampant?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I love how weird the RT era eldar were. All bio organic guns and eye melting camouflage.

Oh you don't know how weird it was
    awlakyjqntl0.jpg
    2cz2wnxlniz1.jpg
    mx43kjx5lo7z.png

• Options
    And they did do those odd camos back then
    shqt6hi301q4.png

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I love those old paint schemes so much. I should do an army that way someday.

Maybe use the old paint schemes for my Titanicus stuff maybe? I don't know, I love it though.

Edit: Makes me wonder if I can find old Titan schemes online somewhere, I bet they are out there.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    So wait, are the "Eldritch Raiders" associated with Yriel as someone said up-thread? Because I thought he was the guy from Iyanden (the Craftworld that got nearly eaten by the Tyranids), not Alaitoc.

Alaitoc wear dark blue armor with bright yellow helms and their symbol is a vertical, point-downward double-edged sword impaling an upward-facing horizontal crescent moon, all edged in bright green.
    cjjkoehcjj8k.jpg730s2hy2498t.jpg
    Iyanden wear yellow armor with blue helms and have a gold torii gate framing a flame on a blue disc for their emblem.
    13vw6hsi1af6.jpgtgww372ust34.jpg

The raiders definitely look more like Alaitoc in most of the old art you guys are posting.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Yriel is from Iyanden, but he’s a corsair prince; he left and became a pirate lord with his own fleet. Him returning during the Nid invasion is what saved Iyanden and I guess he was kinda welcomed back afterwards. The pics up there show his guys with their unique scheme (and some others like the Sunblitz were showcased in FW’s sadly neglected Corsair list) but in every modern incarnation he’s painted in standard Iyanden colours

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Ah. It just seemed like a hell of a coincidence for his corsairs to be given a scheme very close to one of the other 4 main craftworlds (& the one that's practically the inverse of his home, no less), so I was wondering if maybe I'd gotten mixed up. Bear in mind, I don't have any idea how far along the development of background material and sub-faction stuff for Eldar was at the time they were doing material for the corsairs in RT, etc. I pretty much got into WH40K because of Dawn of War I.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yriel's back banner still shows the raiders colour scheme and emblem.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Did they mix up the infantry picture for Sunblitz Brotherhood and Black Suns in that picture further up? The text seems to imply it.

Forgeworld also updated a few of the Corsair schemes in on of their books:

The Void Dragons
    100px-Ia11-149-voiddragons-corsair.jpg
    800px-Ia11-151-voiddragons-falcon.jpg

The Sunblitz Brotherhood
    100px-Ia11-149-sunblitzbrotherhood-corsair.jpg
    800px-Ia11-153-sunblitzbrotherhood-falcon.jpg

The Sky Raiders
    100px-Ia11-148-skyraiders-corsair.jpg
    800px-Ia11-154-skyraiders-falcon.jpg

honovere on
  • Options
    The pic I posted is from the rogue trader era so there is a lot of contradictory lore from then

Where did the forge world stuff come from?

• Options
    Imperial Armour Volume Eleven - The Doom of Mymeara

It was a pretty shoddily written book, to be honest, and in dire need of an editor and some proof reading.

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Ah. It just seemed like a hell of a coincidence for his corsairs to be given a scheme very close to one of the other 4 main craftworlds (& the one that's practically the inverse of his home, no less), so I was wondering if maybe I'd gotten mixed up. Bear in mind, I don't have any idea how far along the development of background material and sub-faction stuff for Eldar was at the time they were doing material for the corsairs in RT, etc. I pretty much got into WH40K because of Dawn of War I.

Original Eldar were pretty much just space elf pirates throughout much of the early days of 40k.
    Harelquins showed up in 1988 apprently, but it wasn’t until Jes Goodwin’s famous 1991 Aspect Warrior lore/minis release series in White Dwarf that the Craftworld concept solidified with Psychic leaders, Aspects, Guardian militia

• Options
    This tangent made me stumble over this:
    tearsofenvysblog.blogspot.com/2016/10/all-eldar-so-far.html

The jet in particular is fantastic.

Although, I do hate the line of sight exploiting Wraithlord conversion.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

If it were on one knee it'd be better. Still an exploit, but a sort of realistic looking one. On all fours like that is a little much.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Changes to FW pricing and shipping are now live. Haven't checked yet, how good the currency conversions are. At least they changed to flat shipping prices.

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/08/22/21st-aug-faster-shipping-better-service-todayfw-homepage-post-1/

edit: Pound to Euro seems to be at 1.25. Which is not that great. The actual curreny rate is more like 1.12 at the moment.

honovere on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So here’s a fun(I lied it’s terrible) interaction.

A Death Guard tallyman regains a CP on a roll of seven on 2d6 when you use a Death Guard strategem.

Rerolls (as well as auto pass, interrupt and draw a secondary objective) strategems aren’t Death Guard.

So he can’t use his ability on the biggest chunk of your CP spending.

How's that work? The stratagems are in the codex and in the little box of Death Guard cards you can buy that have all of their stratagems.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

It's too..... sassy...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Stupid sexy wraithlord.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Dayspring wrote: »

And that background looks like something Giger would do.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think I have at least two thirds of the parts of an old 2nd edition daddy longlegs wraithlord somewhere.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    TheColonel wrote: »
    Was that the large or small terrain kit that came with all that?

I got the Grandmaster edition so I'm guessing the large kit. I had enough sprues inside to make 2 of each building the instructions had listed.

I got the big box and the two terrain boxes in the hope that there were different sprues.

There isn't. Only two different sprues.
    Small box has two sets, big box has four sets and the big terrain box has eight sets.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.