Options

John McCain has died at 81

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
Here is a thread to talk about John McCain, US politician.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/john-mccain-death/index.html

Many people may have mixed feelings about the man and his legacy. But if your only thought to add here is "Fuck John McCain" go ahead and keep that to yourself.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    John McCain was a person who did a great many things that I feel he betrayed in his later years. I appreciate what he did as a younger man, I wish he did better as an older one.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »
    But if your only thought to add here is "Fuck John McCain" go ahead and keep that to yourself.

So a thread of platitudes paired with milquetoast criticisms, then? Cool.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So what's gonna happen to his Senate seat? While there be some kind of interim replacement until some scheduled election, or will their be an emergency election to fill his seat?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So what's gonna happen to his Senate seat? While there be some kind of interim replacement until some scheduled election, or will their be an emergency election to fill his seat?

Governor of Arizona appoints a Republican to hold the seat until the 2020 election to fill out the remainder of his term.

• Options
    Geth, kick @Fakefaux from the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative So It Goes. @Fakefaux banned from this thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    How could we have become so different, @Fakefaux? Why can we no longer understand each other? What did we do wrong?
    Warned @Fakefaux (0 points for 1 week) for "Kicked from thread: Not welcome"

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

McCain chose not to resign as recently as a month ago, so the governor of AZ gets to appoint someone for two years instead of there being a special election.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know why Fakefaux's post disapparead, but people are certainly able to be critical of John McCain here in ways that are more articulate than posting "this guy sucks" in a thread about a person who died yesterday. Let's have a discussion, not a bash-fest.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    Ducey will probably want to rush someone in so they can repeal what's left of the ACA before the midterms.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    My feelings on John McCain are pretty complicated, and I feel like the last year of his life kind of exemplify why. He was a man labeled Maverick who rarely actually bucked against Republican doctrine, but I'm very grateful for the times he did. He is one of the only Republican critics of President Trump to have his actions reflect his statements with the president. My brother continues to have health care largely due to him. I also feel he truly loved serving this country, and worked hard, even through the end of his life, to shape it in the way he wanted it to go, even if I largely disagree with him.

He also chose one of his last political acts to be to deny his constituents the right to choose his successor during a normal election cycle, instead holding a role he knew he could no longer fulfill for political expediency. Which absolutely infuriates me.

I do feel sorry for his family and friends, who are mourning a huge hole in their life now, and they have my condolences. It is never a happy time when someone passes away.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    McCain did a lot of work in the last 18 years or so to maintain an image of independence and principles, while being a party-frist hack the whole time. He was a very convient respecible face for cable news to front a party of racist, warmongering monsters.

Were I Zeus, he'd spend eternity listening to that Beach Boys classic Bomb Bomb Bomb, Bomb Bomb Iran on loop.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    CNN reported yesterday that George W Bush and Barack Obama will be giving eulogies at McCain’s funeral.

For something of a preview, here’s Obama’s statement on the death of John McCain.

And George W Bush’s statement, as released by Good Morning America.

Given Bush’s longstanding reputation for spoonerisms, that one might not go flawlessly.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Monsieur TMonsieur T Registered User regular
    I do appreciate that fuckface will not be invited to his funeral, and that both the latest president Obama and the former Bush will be there to really make his absence more noticeable.

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I've been expressing frustration that he's going to get lionized in his obituaries for a few weeks now. There's a surprisingly fine line to tread between not shitting on the recently deceased and not fawning over a guy who wasn't a very good person in my opinion. He wasn't unilaterally a monster in my estimation of things, but I'm also not down with saying he was complicated. He served our nation for most of his adult life, but honestly I think we'd have been better off without his contributions, especially since 2000. Beyond that, I think some of the things he did in his personal life were inexcusable.
    Jragghen wrote: »

McCain chose not to resign as recently as a month ago, so the governor of AZ gets to appoint someone for two years instead of there being a special election.

And the AZ governor has been a supporter of Trump historically, if you can say historically for a period of the last two years. His last act as a statesman was to make sure another far right republican got appointed, rather than give his constituents a chance to participate in their democratic form of government. It's a pretty fitting bookend for a legacy that includes, among other things, being opposed to having a holiday for Martin Luther King Jr up until it became political suicide to do so.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Cancer sucks.

That said I feel McCain largely betrayed the country as a whole by putting his political career ahead of the American people.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    The one thing that I was always able to cite about McCain as a virtue was how whenever presented with the opportunity to go for the low hanging fruit of treating Muslims as a boogie man he refused to take it; he recognized at a time when people were scared, hurt and angry that the people who were responsible for 9/11 did so because they were monsters and not because it was a tenant of their faith. He failed on so many things but with this at least he was unassailable.

I like to imagine what the world would have looked like had he won the presidency in 2000 and how things wouldn't have spun out into this casual hate fest as a result.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Also, Arizona law stipulates that the replacement Senator be the same party as the vacated seat. So even if the Governor switches parties before the new Senator gets seated (which won't happen) it wouldn't matter.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Gaddez wrote: »
    The one thing that I was always able to cite about McCain as a virtue was how whenever presented with the opportunity to go for the low hanging fruit of treating Muslims as a boogie man he refused to take it; he recognized at a time when people were scared, hurt and angry that the people who were responsible for 9/11 did so because they were monsters and not because it was a tenant of their faith. He failed on so many things but with this at least he was unassailable.

Uhhhh do you have any citations for this? He spent his career advocating for wars in the middle east and his most famous act of political virtue was when he boldly denied that Barack Obama was an Arab, and was instead a Decent Family Man.

• Options

I like to imagine what the world would have looked like had he won the presidency in 2000 and how things wouldn't have spun out into this casual hate fest as a result.

I had a lot of problems with McCain, and still basically do. However, compared to most of his former colleagues, they are more in the line of good problems to have.

• Options
    Monsieur T wrote: »
    Ducey will probably want to rush someone in so they can repeal what's left of the ACA before the midterms.

There isn't a Bill to serve as a vehicle for that between now and the next Congress.

• Options
    Spicy Like FlourSpicy Like Flour Registered User regular

Uhhhh do you have any citations for this? He spent his career advocating for wars in the middle east and his most famous act of political virtue was when he boldly denied that Barack Obama was an Arab, and was instead a Decent Family Man.

You know, as if being an arab precludes you from being a family man.

Also the dude hung out with a lot of white supremacists so there's that

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    CNN reported yesterday that George W Bush and Barack Obama will be giving eulogies at McCain’s funeral.

For something of a preview, here’s Obama’s statement on the death of John McCain.

Given Bush’s longstanding reputation for spoonerisms, that one might not go flawlessly.

Now I’m ghoulishly curious what our current President will say, if he will even attend the funeral or not.

Trump is still pissed at McCain for dumping the repeal bill.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Now I’m ghoulishly curious what our current President will say, if he will even attend the funeral or not.

Trump is still pissed at McCain for dumping the repeal bill.

McCain did not want Trump at his funeral.

Also, Kelli Ward, the Republican competing for Jeff Flake's seat, complained that he scheduled his death to be inconvenient for her campaign.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    He was a conservative republican who was occasionally willing to break with orthodoxy, and who gloried in the attention that brought him.

Does that make him better than his cohorts? Marginally I suppose. There was at least hope that McCain might raise the last sane republican voice in the Congress, even if it was usually in vain.

He also had the benefit of his worst indiscretions takin place in the pre-Internet era; the Keating Five incident has been largely allowed to fall down the memory hole, but would be career ending today. He got to remake his image in 2000 and largely coasted on it afterward, playing the independent curmudgeon while spending eight years kissing the ring.

I feel like his legacy is almost entirely as a media figure; his achievements as a legislator aren’t insubstantial but nor are they particularly enduring. He will probably go down as the last of his kind, a remnant of a prior, less partisan era. It is more than he deserves.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Given who will miss the most the late Senator:

There isn't anything good for me to say.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2018
    He was a heroic and noble soldier, and kind of a cruddy senator. He'll probably be elevated a lot more in death than he strictly deserves to be, but whatever, i'm not going to begrudge his loved ones the chance to fondly remember him.

John McCain is the kind of man who should spend his eternity in a Medium Place.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    He was a heroic and noble soldier, and kind of a cruddy senator.
    He took part in Operation Rolling Thunder, a bombing campaign that killed a lot of civilians in Vietnam. He was also critical of the US government, saying they were "complete idiots who didn't have the least notion of what it took to win the war." And those are his words, as per books he helped write. 'Heroic' and 'noble' is something of a stretch.

Henroid on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

You know, as if being an arab precludes you from being a family man.

Also the dude hung out with a lot of white supremacists so there's that

Oh come on. The guy was speaking off the cuff and is clearly just trying to articulate that people need to drop this birther bullshit and the idea that him being arab makes him scary. Trying to read some sort of veiled insult into the whole thing is in supremely bad faith.

The guy did a lot of shitty things but we can still actually be honest with ourselves and, like with his vote to not strip healthcare from millions of people, give him a few stickers in the "Did A Good Job" column.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    He took part in Operation Rolling Thunder, a bombing campaign that killed a lot of civilians in Vietnam. He was also critical of the US government, saying they were "complete idiots who didn't have the least notion of what it took to win the war." And those are his words, as per books he helped write. 'Heroic' and 'noble' is something of a stretch.

The dude didn't get to pick his missions. Saying this as someone who generally isn't a fan

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

The dude didn't get to pick his missions. Saying this as someone who generally isn't a fan
    Maybe not but I'm not seeing nor never heard of his having any regret of the results of that campaign.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    At his townhall events while campaigning he routinely turned down opportunities to slander Obama or engage in birtherism, so he had that going for him

Also dude was a legit war hero who refused to go home before other prisoners could

I can think of plenty of not-so-nice things to say about McCain but today is not really the appropriate time for it

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I’m pretty lefty and even I’m not prepared to condemn soldiers merely for taking part in the Vietnam war; Rolling Thunder was terrible but by degree, not by quality.

The part of the quote where he accuses the government of not knowing what it was doing is... correct, so it’s hard to fault him there

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The man lived one helluva full life. POW, Senator, Presidential nominee, beloved family man, and respected by his peers. He most assuredly did not waste the time he was given.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ambivalent is one of the few good english words.

Cancer sucks.

• Options
    In 1996 he voted for the "Defense of Marriage Act," which would ban same-sex marriage at the federal level.
    In 2004 John McCain voting against a federal level same-sex marriage amendment, saying it should be left to states (see above for what).
    In 2006 he pushed for (and failed) a ban on same-sex marriage in Arizona.

John McCain was never a friend to LGBTQUIA peoples. This is part of his legacy.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    At his townhall events while campaigning he routinely turned down opportunities to slander Obama or engage in birtherism, so he had that going for him

Also dude was a legit war hero who refused to go home before other prisoners could

I can think of plenty of not-so-nice things to say about McCain but today is not really the appropriate time for it

While also insinuating that Arabs could not be good, decent, family men.

He voted against the holiday recognizing MLK. Was corrupt.

And most importantly, no one who gave us Palin is a hero.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    He talked very good about things he rarely stood for.

• Options
    I thought the party chose his running mate for him?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I thought the party chose his running mate for him?

That's his self-serving excuse, but the nominee gets to pick the VP.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.