As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] 2B for Xmas

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I absolutely get the animator's grievances about how NRS designed their characters and the whole idle animations, and some of the awkward "fighting moves" like, crouching low kicks, but as someone who isn't an animation major, and just likes to play fighting games because they're fun, 98% of that stuff doesn't bother me. The 2% that does, I'd probably comment on, but then go right back to mashing buttons to win.

Actually, games like Overwatch, for all of it's cartoony animated fun style, bothers me more. I hate Roadhog's design. His belly button and his entire stomach region are so distorted. I also feel Blizzard used a few too many Dreamworks "smiles" that all look the same. Tracer is a large proponent of that.

I'm not an animation major, but I was an amateur competitor in some martial arts stuff. It's less "NRS are bad at their jobs" and more "that guy's about to break his own ankles".

It's the same as anything else that requires good form, like basketball or musical instruments. Or the way you can clearly see when someone on a skateboard doesn't understand center of gravity and is about to take a spill.

That said, my wife is a great dancer who is terrible at understanding other people's forms. So it's not like these things are obvious to everyone.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The other Gokus don't have the spirit-bombs, or the fireballs from the floor, for example.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    I don't get people not understanding the side switch. it wasn't to ice it is to get advantage. everyone practices on the left. so obvious one would play better on the side they practice on most.

SC6 was hype. Party wolf was so good on kilik. I am sad he couldn't pull it out against link's ivy.

BBtag fame was so close and just proves i need way more time to get this damn meta down.

Smash 4 . man what a sad way to leave. Not sure what Evo staff will think about this. for some history Soul calibur had different but just as bad drama. back in the day SC2 was being played the final two people were also friendly as they met each other all teh time in the finals so for evo they decided to pot share and play their worst characters. This infuriated evo staff such that Soul calibur never showed up again till SC4. The time have changed as their is more money in sponsors now instead of video sales of the matches. so i am unsure if the same thing will happen but i am sure Tony isn't pleased. Man has had a tense relationship with smash.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I would think they'd either have the players would swap on who had side choice, with the higher seed getting choice in the last match if it goes that far.

Does it not work that way?

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Illieas wrote: »
    I don't get people not understanding the side switch. it wasn't to ice it is to get advantage. everyone practices on the left. so obvious one would play better on the side they practice on most.
    I seriously doubt that's the reason. For one, players in DBFZ switch sides all the time. For two, if you're entering (and winning) dozens of DBFZ tournaments, you should be aware of an obvious weakness (like not being able to play as well on the player 2 side). If you haven't noticed it, or haven't bothered to practice to fix that problem, most people would say you don't deserve to win.

My impression is that people are bothered by the switch because the player side thing should be completely arbitrary. That fact that it changed the flow of the grand finals so completely (3-0 to 0-3) makes people feel as if it MUST have made a difference. Maybe just psychologically, but it still looked significant to people. And the fact that official EVO rule books needed to be consulted adds to the impression that the change had significance. But because he started winning only after changing something arbitrary, spectators can't help but see it as a kind of "trick" or "cheat."

(I'm not saying this is accurate or anything. This is just my theory as to why there was such a backlash.)

"THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK CAN BEAT THE BEST JAPANESE PLAYERS
    Evo judges hate him!!"

• Options
    having a higher seed doesn't exist in evo. One could argue in grandfinal being the sole winner bracket player makes you higher seed but that is only one case. they already have the need to lose two best of 5s so side advantage i think is too much. so the current policy is coin flip at beginning of set. People have mentioned that you can choose side after losing a game but i have never seen that. I hope it doesn't get a following as switching every game is annoying to everyone. it dead time for TO and audience. swapping seats. depending on the game need to back out to main menu and maybe swap ports and maybe have to reset controls then button check it can be quite the task and is why it I have yet to see side switch after the match has started.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    having a higher seed doesn't exist in evo.

Yes it does

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    having a higher seed doesn't exist in evo.

Yes it does

as i recall seed is only set for initial bracket set up. they also seed based on region too. What i mean is evo doesn't give seed advantages once in actual matches. you don't get to react to their character choice nor get to choose a side as being the higher seed. each one is done via coin flip/ RPS or double blind selection if there is a dispute.

• Options
    Hey, did you guys hear Namco-Bandai is going to bring DBFZ to Switch?

It doesn't feel like there's much excitement for it. Maybe because SonicFox already brought the Switch to DBFZ?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    boooo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Go1 ain't buying a Nintendo console after that. :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    boooo
    I'm here all week, folks.
    You can't get rid of me.
    I somehow missed the CvS2 tournament at Evo. There were lots of great moments in top 4:
    https://youtu.be/dOQAzQcU9iI

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Does anyone here still play SF5? Kind of a noob and thinking about getting back into it.

Also, is season 3 worth $30? $5 a character seems kind of pricey.

@Stabbity Style there's about 3-5 people in SE++ who still keep up with SFV, me included

if you want to learn I'm always happy to help if I am on

only buy characters if they seem cool and interesting to you. there's no reason to buy them all unless you want to practice vs. them in training mode, which most people don't

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
  • Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    If no one is going to use sprites anymore can’t they at least copy DBZ and GG’s graphics?

• Options
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    If no one is going to use sprites anymore can’t they at least copy DBZ and GG’s graphics?

Too labor intensive and SNK already has an engine.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I'm excited for a new generation of players to learn the important lessons in life.

"Wait, it's 'Shodown'? Not 'Showdown'?? WTF."

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    PS4 only? RIP my excitement. Not unexpected, but meh.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular

At the rate things have been going lately, I don't even feel like it's a joke to wonder if this is a timed exclusive that will later be on the Switch.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I'm excited for a new generation of players to learn the important lessons in life.

I've been in it for decades and I never noticed.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Tomorrow (or today) is the re-scheduled Nintendo Direct.

It is likely DB FighterZ will be featured. Chances of them showing Android 17?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    The Soul Calibur 6 network test is up, and I AM BACK

Buff Taki

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Bubs wrote: »
    The Soul Calibur 6 network test is up, and I AM BACK

Buff Taki

Oooooh. Gf has work tonight, magic arena is up and running, and I hear this.

I'm going to need more beer.

• Options
    It’s only 4 gigs too, which is nice

Took me three matches to remember where the block button was

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay.

It’s Tira time.

• Options

You mean you don't have to mash buttons and do nothing but attack?

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »

You mean you don't have to mash buttons and do nothing but attack?

After I found the block button I went right back to the playstyle you’re describing

• Options
    Everyone was doing all these super fancy attacks that I couldn't figure out how to do. I dI'd one every once in awhile by mistake.

Turns out its a single button. RT. I feel kind of stupid, and mythed I did it so infrequently by accident

• Options
    I had to go look up a move list, and felt the same amount of dumb that you did.

But I was encouraged by the absurd number of moves in the character specific section. Really took me back to the late 90s when I had a Japanese Dreamcast and about 100 pages of crap I printed off gamefaqs.

By the time the US version launched I was unbeatable

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I had to print an enormous doc when me and my friends were playing Eternal Champions on the Sega CD. That game had no in game help for the moves and had TONS of secrets. Having that doc for myself at first made me like godmode vs my friends. Then I showed them of course, after :surprised:

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    In case anyone else is still puzzled, I posted my favorite notes in the other thread and in the Discord: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2018/1/29/basic-soul-calibur-6-gameplay-characters-guide.html

In particular, it seems the new mechanics are all combinations of A,B,K, but the triggers are all mapped to those combinations by default.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    As a PC player, I am sitting over here pretending to be patient and failing.

I am so ready for SC6 to come out.

• Options
    I just lost two straight to a Sophitia doing nothing but the high-low-high-low combo, which I totally could have blocked if he wasn’t a 1-bar and I hadn’t had to search for “all” connection types because it takes way too long to get a match otherwise.

Complete horseshit, but if feels exactly like the Soul Calibur I know and love and I’m so happy it’s back.

• Options
    I just lost two straight to a Sophitia doing nothing but the high-low-high-low combo, which I totally could have blocked if he wasn’t a 1-bar and I hadn’t had to search for “all” connection types because it takes way too long to get a match otherwise.

Complete horseshit, but if feels exactly like the Soul Calibur I know and love and I’m so happy it’s back.

yeah but now you can cheese it. you just RE it. i had trouble on a geralt as his low high is quicker i thought but you can fix it with RE. I got my first rager quitter. felt bad for him he was obviously a person that played SC before but hasn't had time in this one.
    i have been getting better at sniffing out the raw supers i am proud i ducked multiple akuma kilik supers also nothing better than blocking a super into a super punish.

• Options
    It’s odd, I really thought I’d hate all the new stuff and I did for the first hour or so until I figured everything out. It’s good that the new moves are easily executed and also good that they’re easily countered. It feels true to form.

I really wish I could play Astaroth though. Does anybody know when this thing is over?

• Options
    i think it is over now as we are based on japan time.

I was watching video last night and some play gave me ideas, but i have not gotten to try them out.
    the main test given talim can cancel RE to evasion moves. the question is it every instance of RE and can be cancel at any point early or last second. and what are the frames from cancel to the start of the move. I was also wondering other than talim and raphael who can cancel RE?

The implications of this test are major.
    If they turn out great, this character can go places as an RE cancel can make her punish straight out if recovery frames are too long, continue her pressure outside her turn and make unsafe moves safe, and allow to counter RE weakness as you can cancel to safe location if not continue pressure. also allows for not entering the RPS section as you can RE there hit and then attack from stance. The mind races with possibilities! Anyone got any answer to those questions? I want to bring myself down to earth about this.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I wonder if it's coming to arcades at all. When KOFXIV finally did, it made about as much splash as a tennis ball in a swimming pool, especially compared to KOFXIII.

I miss the days of SNK's oustanding multiplatform support but, eh, I guess those have gone the same ways as caring about arcade cabinet visibility and access. :(

• Options
    4 and 5 never got arcade releases, so I doubt it. KOF has a decent following in Japan and Korea, while SoulCalibur doesn't.

DOA6, however, is getting an arcade release. I guess DOA5 did better than expected.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    4 and 5 never got arcade releases, so I doubt it. KOF has a decent following in Japan and Korea, while SoulCalibur doesn't.

DOA6, however, is getting an arcade release. I guess DOA5 did better than expected.

Koei Tecmo is platform agnostic in a way SNK-Playmore used to be. I'm not sure if I'm more bothered by SNK deciding, "Haha, fuck arcades, it's not like we have large, well-organized communities and tournaments in other countries were the current consoles aren't as popular," more than them walking back their previously very good Xbox support. Probably? But that's just me.

Part of me thinks that 2D and 3D fighters tend to do comparatively well in arcades, Dead or Alive included, and are still treated as mainstays where you can find arcades at all. Considering how far Soulcalibur fell off the radar since V's less-than-stellar reception, it's not that hard for me to find cabinets in the US given how rare arcades are in general here. It makes KOFXIV's approach all the more unfortunate I'd say. Then again, it's not like KOFXIII desperately needed replacing. Of course, in the US a failed arcade launch is basically a footnote if that. In parts of South America and Taiwan, it basically means KOFXIV is basically a novel distraction from KOFXIII, not a replacement or even competitor, assuming you can find a KOFXIV cabinet in the first place (that's probably part of the problem, even today their availability seems rather dismal compared to KOFXIII in Taichung). Probably SNK-Playmore did the math and realized those regions don't matter much (or it's another in a long line of bad decisions). Well, it's not as though SNK fans are unfamiliar with confusion and misery at the company's actions.

:(

Mind-exploded.

Synthesis on