As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Webcomics] that make you say Dun Dun Dun!

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    q1m3jho4pace.jpg
    Atomic Robo

He seems pretty capable.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2018
    Heh, reminds me of the times my wife and I will spitball terrible products and capstone it with "we'll make dollars, tens of dollars!"

A duck! on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Hook up a mechanical tattoo pen to an algorithm controlled by chat.

Twitch Draws a Tattoo

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Hook up a mechanical tattoo pen to an algorithm controlled by chat.

Twitch Draws a Tattoo

Honestly before I clicked the link I thought that was gonna be the set up.

• Options
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

I have had thoughts about this exact brand of nonsense. Like, a time system situated around solar noon for your exact location, so the current time shifts gradually as you travel east or west. All planning must include location in order for the time to be accurate

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    b3b3v19qpkz5.jpg
    Beyond the Western Deep shows how results can vary in a fight

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

I have had thoughts about this exact brand of nonsense. Like, a time system situated around solar noon for your exact location, so the current time shifts gradually as you travel east or west. All planning must include location in order for the time to be accurate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_timekeeping

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular

Middle panel is more apropos to the thread I feel

That was actually funnier than the final panel.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    oh no, Ronnie is on hiatus with no Runnie Replace in sight. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

With the exception of the 50 and 100 dollar notes, all australian money costs more to make than its worth.

It's an anti counterfeiting thing. It's why you only need to check 50s.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

With the exception of the 50 and 100 dollar notes, all australian money costs more to make than its worth.

It's an anti counterfeiting thing. It's why you only need to check 50s.

That seems insane

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I guess someone has done the maths and the value you'd lose from people counterfeiting is less than what you lose making money.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    They do it that way because that's not how money works.

The actual value of money to the society making it is not how much it costs to produce deducted from what it says on its face.

The actual value of money is how much it costs to produce deducted from the total value of the times it is used before it can no longer be used, is lost, or is destroyed, because each time it is spent it adds its face value to the economy.

The argument to eliminate the penny in the US shouldn't be "it costs more than it's worth on its face", it's "no one uses fucking pennies anymore because they aren't worth enough money to bother carrying around".

And as a Canadian, I know that in the years before we eliminated the penny in cash transactions (we just round to the nearest 5 cent increment now when not paying with cheques or digital money), I only ever dealt with pennies to collect them for rolls I would later exchange for cash from banks.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah creating a dollar bill doesn't "earn" the US treasury one dollar. The penny thing is just a trivial fact, not an actual argument for anything. Modern money is just an arbitrary stand in for a concept of wealth that is entirely virtual. It changing hands frequently stimulates the economy and generating more of it or taking it out of circulation as the market demands is key to keeping everything running. Sometimes the treasury literally just burns money (well they probably have a means of recycling it, I don't know the mechanics of how they operate)

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    There isn't a corresponding bank note for every Australian dollar that exists in the economy. Printing physical money isn't supposed to increase the amount of australian currency in existence. They got loans and whatnot for that.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    There isn't a corresponding bank note for every Australian dollar that exists in the economy. Printing physical money isn't supposed to increase the amount of australian currency in existence. They got loans and whatnot for that.

I'm not an expert but I'd be surprised if any fiat currency systems did. Seems like it would kind of add a lot of overhead at the expense of some of the benefits of the system

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The first time someone inspected the tender I handed them for signs of counterfeit I felt incredibly insulted, I have come to terms with the incident and the practice in general but I will never forget them

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The first time someone inspected the tender I handed them for signs of counterfeit I felt incredibly insulted, I have come to terms with the incident and the practice in general but I will never forget them

One could take it as flattery that one doesn't look like a counterfeiter (as surely any skilled counterfeiter would make efforts to not look like one, and therefore not looking like one is the surest sign of being one)

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I meant it seems insane because I can't imagine a bill that costs $20+ to make, not because it's bad fiscal policy

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    We have fancy plastics and holographic technology in our notes.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Considering I witnessed a man be informed at a restaurant that the $20 he acquired from the bank a few hours prior was fake, I no longer mind.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Yeah creating a dollar bill doesn't "earn" the US treasury one dollar. The penny thing is just a trivial fact, not an actual argument for anything. Modern money is just an arbitrary stand in for a concept of wealth that is entirely virtual. It changing hands frequently stimulates the economy and generating more of it or taking it out of circulation as the market demands is key to keeping everything running. Sometimes the treasury literally just burns money (well they probably have a means of recycling it, I don't know the mechanics of how they operate)

Yeah, the real argument against pennies is that they're effectively useless, and simply rounding prices to the nearest nickle would have an insignificant effect on the price of goods and services and make cash transactions a lot easier.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    And now, for the hard-hitting video game news coverage, we turn to the experts in their field...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    I meant it seems insane because I can't imagine a bill that costs $20+ to make, not because it's bad fiscal policy

Australia's bills are very complex.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    milski wrote: »

Australia's bills are very complex.

Yeah they are quite interesting
    pdkx8u37q7nz.png
    cnstadz2qu8v.png

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Wait...Australia has currency? I thought they just traded stuff like water and oil for guns.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Wait...Australia has currency? I thought they just traded stuff like water and oil for guns.

No, that's the United States.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    We cannot get rid of Abraham Lincoln and his memorial, clearly we must strip Jefferson from the Nickel and put Lincoln on that.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    replace andrew jackson's stupid fucking idiot face with lincoln's

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    We need Weird Al on our currency

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    And now, for the hard-hitting video game news coverage, we turn to the experts in their field...

This weekend was entertaining to see the first wave, then the reposts.

But then seeing the creator of the comic...

This stuff is fascinating.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s not surprising. Over the course of so many videogames, people developed a lot of sympathy for Bowser in his myriad attempts to succeed at his grand plans, and also they want to fuck the turtle girl.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    If Bowserette has to be blonde and not a redhead, then so does Solomon dammit.=!

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.