Options

[Chat] is its own thing!

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I get aches and pain and hurt all the time

I'm still in camp Just Suck It Up and Take Your Mild to Nonexistent Daily Pain

I'm naturally inclined to be nervous about medical stuff but like... mostly you just sometimes feel aches and pains and it's because like you slept weird or something and you're old enough that you aren't made of silly putty anymore.

I think also it often feels like a more serious thing to take enough pain stuff to actually knock out whatever inflammation you've got and work on stretching it out or otherwise preventing it from coming back than it does to take a uselessly small dose regularly.

the anti-inflammatory effects need quite large doses to really do anything, I've been told

and then you'd not be taking paracetamol/acetaminophen at all since it has a pretty weak anti-inflammatory effect

vast majority of cases the only reason to take them and the only actual effect, will be that you don't feel the pain. Which is fine, but it's a no brainer that you shouldn't take them daily. I mean, even if you have something that causes you pain, which you don't, you shouldn't take shit daily forever

Ibuprofen is more what I mean, as its primarily anti inflammatory right? At least that's what the doctor has told me.

Basically all of these sorts of drugs though are definitely supposed to be taken as a measure to reduce the complaint to the point where you can easily do whatever longer term intervention will make it feel better.

I think that's part of why you generally aren't supposed to take something for a headache, since there's not much you can do to prevent future headaches, you know?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tylenol is a stupid name for paracetamol.

Doliprane is worse which is what the French call it. Again after a specific brand

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Medical stuff killed my childlike imagination you know when you're younger you think back hey what if I lived in the middle ages! Cool!!

But I was pretty young when I realized they all just were in constant pain they couldn't do anything about, and died as soon as something punctured the skin.

It probably sucked.
    That's completely unfair.

They also died if strangers coughed on them, drank contaminated water/food and they also died if they didn't consume enough vitamin C, Niacin, salt or just enough food in general.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    via r/dataisbeautiful, a very very good representation of data

https://www.svt.se/special/the-swedish-vote/

I'm looking through all of it even though I don't give a shit about swedish vote distribution at all, because it's presented so nicely

c6zyn8c5tw02.png

relevant
    notice that big dick briding the gap between hentai milfs and matures.

art imitating life?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I get aches and pain and hurt all the time

I'm still in camp Just Suck It Up and Take Your Mild to Nonexistent Daily Pain

I'm naturally inclined to be nervous about medical stuff but like... mostly you just sometimes feel aches and pains and it's because like you slept weird or something and you're old enough that you aren't made of silly putty anymore.

I think also it often feels like a more serious thing to take enough pain stuff to actually knock out whatever inflammation you've got and work on stretching it out or otherwise preventing it from coming back than it does to take a uselessly small dose regularly.

the anti-inflammatory effects need quite large doses to really do anything, I've been told

and then you'd not be taking paracetamol/acetaminophen at all since it has a pretty weak anti-inflammatory effect

vast majority of cases the only reason to take them and the only actual effect, will be that you don't feel the pain. Which is fine, but it's a no brainer that you shouldn't take them daily. I mean, even if you have something that causes you pain, which you don't, you shouldn't take shit daily forever

Ibuprofen is more what I mean, as its primarily anti inflammatory right? At least that's what the doctor has told me.

Basically all of these sorts of drugs though are definitely supposed to be taken as a measure to reduce the complaint to the point where you can easily do whatever longer term intervention will make it feel better.

I think that's part of why you generally aren't supposed to take something for a headache, since there's not much you can do to prevent future headaches, you know?

well I'd say it is primarily the same as paracetamol, as in, I've got an ouchie but something with a prescription and serious side effects is not warranted, but it is better at relieving anything with inflammations attached

like say a cold

I'm not totally on board with the physical therapy sounding idea behind them, because the vast majority of problems is just, wait until it goes over

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    also an ibuprofen before bed after drinking does wonders for your hangover

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Medical stuff killed my childlike imagination you know when you're younger you think back hey what if I lived in the middle ages! Cool!!

But I was pretty young when I realized they all just were in constant pain they couldn't do anything about, and died as soon as something punctured the skin.

It probably sucked.

...how many drugs do you consume each month?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    also, secondarily, since I hear that same sentiment, died as soon as something punctured the skin, all the time here

are y'all just taking antibiotics by the bucketload every time you've got a cut?

are you the people breeding the superdisease that will kill us all?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I meant to put bridging, but I end up with Briding...I'm keeping it.

• Options
    also, secondarily, since I hear that same sentiment, died as soon as something punctured the skin, all the time here

are y'all just taking antibiotics by the bucketload every time you've got a cut?

Yeah but these days we use stainless steel to reduce corrosion. We wash our wounds and use bandages to keep bacteria and foreign materials out of our injuries. We take for granted soap and water. And that we used to kill a substantial amount of women by doctors not washing their hands before starting delivery.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    On a different note, Shadow Warrior 2 was free on GOG and it is pretty neat. All the jokey bullshit is still tone deaf at best but the basic idea of doing a slightly more arcade like and level-based Borderlands works well. FPS action-RPG games are too rare!

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It probably sucked.

...how many drugs do you consume each month?

A lot but not for those things.

BUT

* Clean water
    * Understanding of how to recover
    * Knowing that bacteria exists and what it is
    * Etc.

But mainly probably clean water and soap.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

No, of... course... not

• Options

Yeah but these days we use stainless steel to reduce corrosion. We wash our wounds and use bandages to keep bacteria and foreign materials out of our injuries. We take for granted soap and water. And that we used to kill a substantial amount of women by doctors not washing their hands before starting delivery.

the middle ages is before doctors really did anything and I guess that kind of meant you were safer

they had soap and water, and bandages

I'm just saying most cuts are fixed just fine by doing nothing at all to them and you don't need modern medicine for it

or washing them, for that matter. Blood does the job of both washing and protecting, so let it do that.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    just bathe in hand sanitizer like a normal person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhTQ5-AiHI

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    if you lived in the middle ages you'd probably live a long and healthy life right up until the next plague came around and then you'd die shitting yourself to death, but y'know

they'd be a good, healthy five to sixty years depending on when that plague came through town

or maybe you were just a sickly kid crippled early by disease, but

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Then explain the prevalence of blood poisoning in media taking place prior to 1900. Protip you can't.

I've seen Arn, she dies from a cut when she's distracted while washing a tunic in a bucket.

EXPLAIN THAT ABD

• Options
    And also like actually I think most people have had at least one thing where they'd be dead without modern medicine prior to age 30.

That time you fell probably, pneumonia etc. And that we can (still at least) shake the hand of a stranger and be pretty sure we won't get whatever it is we get vaccinated for as babies.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

the middle ages is before doctors really did anything and I guess that kind of meant you were safer

I'm just saying most cuts are fixed just fine by doing nothing at all to them and you don't need modern medicine for it

or washing them, for that matter. Blood does the job of both washing and protecting, so let it do that.

Soap and water though existing were not common. One of the bigger things with battlefield logistics in the final wars for the Shogunate in the 1500's was Oda forcing his peasants to use soap and water reducing their deaths from infection in the camps.

We do over state the one cut equals dead. But in reality we would probably die from shitting ourselves to death or similar.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Yeah that time I ended up with a nail in my head when I was ~8 probably would have been the death of middle ages Mojo

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    man, arn, been a very long time since I read those

I think I thought, this... is not very good, is it

although I was young and they were adult Literature I guess but still

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I estimate I would have died about 10 times now.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Soap and water though existing were not common. One of the bigger things with battlefield logistics in the final wars for the Shogunate in the 1500's was Oda forcing his peasants to use soap and water reducing their deaths from infection in the camps.

We do over state the one cut equals dead. But in reality we would probably die from shitting ourselves to death or similar.

battlefield logistics is not the same as daily life

here at least, soap was pretty common

oh, fun fact I just recalled, the kind of soap the vikings used, bleached hair

having a lot of natural blondes is one thing but I think it's kind of funny that having a lot of bleached blondes is also a thousands years old tradition

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

battlefield logistics is not the same as daily life

here at least, soap was pretty common

oh, fun fact I just recalled, the kind of soap the vikings used, bleached hair

having a lot of natural blondes is one thing but I think it's kind of funny that having a lot of bleached blondes is also a thousands years old tradition

Also the Vikings and nordic folks bathed way more than most of Europe. In fact the once a week thing was weird to folks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    not having a full bath all the time doesn't mean you don't clean at all

drawing up a bath is a non-trivial activity

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Frankly staying alive is too much of a hassle even now, forget being a substinence farmer

Coinage on
  • Options

So things get fuzzy with doctors and involvement in birth. Greek and Roman it was all about midwives same with Europe through the dark ages, Islamic medicine on the other hand was light years ahead at the time and while midwives were used doctors were there for any complications.

I can’t find much information about Chinese medicine and childbirth in that era.

So I guess what I’m saying is I got stuck in a google hole for the last hour.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    This seems like a bad place to put your house

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    abdhy my mom gave us all way too many antibiotics when we were a kid

as adults we all just sort of raise an eyebrow and wait when she starts talking about what we should do if we're sick

it's a curious blind spot

sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm always taking antibiotics for my weeping sores from not moving

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Thank you chat, I'll still probably be up till about 4 am until the effects fade (and I'm actually tired enough to go to sleep after getting all anxious) but now I will be much calmer and less freaked out about the whole thing.

It's also nice to remind myself that statistical likelihoods for something like a heart attack being 1% probably isn't the same as a straight up 1 time out of 100 straight probability roll and is merely a statistical abstraction of many complex factors of which my consistent strong heart health reports from my doctor should (but realistically, mostly won't) further calm any irrational concerns I have on the matter.

(it's times like these I sort of wish they would prescribe me the anti-anxiety medication that doesn't come with a host of intended side effects to keep me from getting addicted, since said side-effects make me too anxious to take those pills)

...you know there's literally a Penny Arcade comic strip about exactly that, right?

I thought there was a comic and news post about this, does anyone remember what they were titled. I have a friend that needs anxiety meds, but won't take them because "oh no, drugs", and I feel like seeing someone with the same problem working out the argument might help.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Thank you chat, I'll still probably be up till about 4 am until the effects fade (and I'm actually tired enough to go to sleep after getting all anxious) but now I will be much calmer and less freaked out about the whole thing.

It's also nice to remind myself that statistical likelihoods for something like a heart attack being 1% probably isn't the same as a straight up 1 time out of 100 straight probability roll and is merely a statistical abstraction of many complex factors of which my consistent strong heart health reports from my doctor should (but realistically, mostly won't) further calm any irrational concerns I have on the matter.

(it's times like these I sort of wish they would prescribe me the anti-anxiety medication that doesn't come with a host of intended side effects to keep me from getting addicted, since said side-effects make me too anxious to take those pills)

...you know there's literally a Penny Arcade comic strip about exactly that, right?

I thought there was a comic and news post about this, does anyone remember what they were titled. I have a friend that needs anxiety meds, but won't take them because "oh no, drugs", and I feel like seeing someone with the same problem working out the argument might help.
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/08/pharmacopsychiatry
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2008/02/08/dear-diary

• Options
    I had my first antibiotics in almost 8 years a few weeks ago. It was very specifically for an infection that was over a week and a half old and starting to produce a fever.

Cleared it up in about 2 days.

Normally I avoid stuff like that but I also don't go to the doc unless I have a high fever or I have been sick for 8+ days.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ugh, Borderlands 2 VR sounds like the opposite of everything I want. A game I’ve already played, with not a good story, long sessions, not designed for VR, requires free movement.

Companies, please please please stop porting your old hits to VR they play terribly and I do not want them.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    as a crippling anxiety monster @Lord_Asmodeus there are behavioral therapy type things i've done that have helped me greatly as an alternative to drugs, since anti-anxiety drugs aren't always the best option

youtube progressive muscle relaxation and try it out

it sounds like hippie nonsense bullshit but it works wonders for me, and the worst thing that happens is you waste 20 minutes of your life and it doesn't help

i used to do some meditation type stuff that's very similar, but i find when the anxiety is going nutso i can't focus on it by myself and i lose the plot pretty quickly, but with a youtube video i can move my focus to someone else's voice and let them instruct me instead of trying to fight it myself

it's great

i highly recommend

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    This seems like a bad place to put your house

Maybe they have some well engineered anti-erosion in place... Maybe a retaining wall we can't see. perhaps that shack contains a 5 hp submersible pump.

...Maybe a drunk Nord just said fuck it I'm building a house here. I like fishing.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it doesn't stop me having anxiety in the first place, but it gives me a better tool to deal with it than simply gritting it out

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Still stoked for Thin Air on the 26th

New Gunship even has a track about the Kovacs trilogy

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

My psychiatrist basically just pointed out that the fact that I was so anxious about taking my anxiety meds was probably further evidence that I ought to be taking anxiety meds.

It was slightly better logic than the logic I was using to avoid them, so I went with it.

More seriously, I know a lot of people are afraid of taking meds for (insert mental health issue here) because they're worried that the meds will affect their personality.

And here's the thing - they totally will!

But here's the other thing - your personality without meds is non-functioning, and depending on your specific struggle part of your current "personality" is a person whose brain sometimes wants to kill itself.

Even more seriously, I was thinking about this the other day - I was musing over creative work I was doing, and idly imagined what it would be like to try and do the work without my meds. And it IS true that, if the planets aligned and all of my various neuroses lined up in such a way that I was having an uber-productive, super-focused, wholly-competent day, I could probably create on a level that I can't quite reach now. But those days are literally 1 in a 100, there's no consistency. There's no balance in your mind, or even in your day to day life. You can't rely on yourself, which sucks, let me tell you.

With my meds, I am leveled out, I am smooth as butter. I'm still not perfect, and I can probably only "deliver" 75% of the time.

But that beats "super-high-performance" 5% of the time. Life doesn't work if my brain is a racecar for an hour a week. It does work if my brain is a reliable sedan 5 days out of 7.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I look over and the guy in the cube kiddie-corner from me is looking at plate carriers online

He potentially has a professional reason for this

I'd love to broach that conversation, and yet, we are all islands

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.