Options

television: maybe you shouldn't watch it. i dunno.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Wasn't the Angry Birds movie controversial because it had a racist message that was effectively "Build the Wall"?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Wasn't the Angry Birds movie controversial because it had a racist message that was effectively "Build the Wall"?
    One day, a boat docks at the island's shore, destroying Red's house. The birds are greeted by green-colored pigs and their captain Leonard, who claim to be peaceful explorers bringing offerings of friendship. The pigs ingratiate themselves with the birds, introducing them to various innovations, notably a giant slingshot, but begin to overwhelm the island with their numbers. Red becomes suspicious.

Red recruits Chuck and Bomb to find Mighty Eagle, the only flying bird and the island's protector, who has not been seen for many years. They find Mighty Eagle on top of Bird Mountain, but he is overweight, self-absorbed, leads the life of a slacker, and refuses to help them. Red discovers the pigs planting dynamite around the island while the other birds are distracted with a rave party, but they arrive too late to sound a warning; the pigs escape with the eggs and activate the dynamite, destroying the village. The other birds apologize to Red for not believing him and, under his leadership, they organize an army and construct a boat from the rubble to follow the pigs to Piggy Island.

The birds discover the pigs living in a walled city ruled by Leonard, whose true name is "King Mudbeard". Deducing the eggs are in the castle at the center of the city, the birds use the slingshot to attack by launching themselves over the walls and into the city's buildings, destroying them. Red, Chuck, and Bomb discover the eggs inside a net being lowered into a giant pot; the pigs are planning to cook and eat them. Mighty Eagle arrives to retrieve Red's group and the eggs, having had a change of heart after witnessing their efforts. One egg falls out of the net and Red battles King Mudbeard for it, but learns to control his anger and distracts him long enough to retrieve the egg. An explosion from Bomb ignites the pigs' reserve of dynamite, but the pot collapses and falls over top of Red, shielding him and the egg from the blast as the city is destroyed.
    It seems pretty clearly intended as anti-colonialism to me, but I'm sure you could interpret it in many ways if you needed to write a thinkpiece

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I finished up season 2 of American Vandal. It is really, really quite good. I was a little lukewarm on the season halfway through, at least relative to the first, because it seemed like they were repeating the same kind of story as the first go. But they went to some dark and real places in the final episodes. It was as effective as the first season in pleasantly surprising me with what this crew is capable of.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

There's also a bit where the characters swim in and drink a ton of pee. So that was odd (and in the trailer!)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It definitely seems like it would be kind of hard to present a story that is anti-colonialism that doesn't also have shades of anti-immigration.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've got a Citizen Potawatomi friend who routinely wears a tshirt saying "The wall won't help, even you assholes had boats."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well the Westworld finale fucking sucked. As expected I guess.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just finished Season 1 of Riverdale. My friend and I were only gonna watch like four more episodes, but it got its teeth into us hard so her and I binged the rest of it.

I really liked it. One narrative thing I liked, is that continually, as I started to question a plot hook or potential plot hole in a story, the show would bring it up and address it. It was much more thought out than I thought it would be.

Also, general season 1 spoilers:
    I just wanted to give Jughead a big ole hug through the entire season. Kid has it fucking rough, in a cast of characters that has it rough.

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I could not get through the final episode of Cheers with a dry eye.

Between the closing lines ("I'm the luckiest son of a bitch on Earth... sorry, we're closed"), the true love story of Cheers being Sam and his bar, and Sam fixing the portrait that was in Coach's dressing room when he died, I ended the series a blubbering wreck.

Onward to Frasier! I expect to end Frasier a blubbering wreck as well.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Frasier is a little less sad because the final line is “...all this for a bucket of cum”

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I started The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and this show is a straight up delight.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Frasier is a little less sad because the final line is “...all this for a bucket of cum”

Uh, what?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

Uh, what?

I mean it's a quotation obviously but yeah. Hell of a moment.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Really its a cumination of several plots

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It’s one of those clever things where you can go back to the pilot and notice all the foreshadowing.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The cum fondue party episode, the all out of cum crisis episode, the milk the cum out of Eddie episode

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    You see, to get the 'scrambled eggs' you must first 'toss' the 'salad'

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I can’t tell if you’ve all gone mad or if I have

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I feel like there's enough agrees on that to validate it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I can’t tell if you’ve all gone mad or if I have

Would you say that you hear the blues acallin'

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2018
    "I hear the blues acummin'

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    STOP THE PRESSES
    real eleanor is sabine wren?! What the hecker!
    Start the presses back up

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maniac, season one, episode 3
    P55ugoS.jpg

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Two episodes in to haunting of hill house and it's pretty good so far.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Would you say it's more creepy, more scary, more thriller, or more dramatic? I'm most interested in the first and third options but none of them are bad.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Jack Bannon (The Imitation Game, Ripper Street) will play Alfred Pennyworth in Pennyworth, a 10-episode prequel series on Epix about the butler. Not a Gotham prequel

• Options
    Jack Bannon (The Imitation Game, Ripper Street) will play Alfred Pennyworth in Pennyworth, a 10-episode prequel series on Epix about the butler. Not a Gotham prequel

Hard pass

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i love epix original programming and it is a reasonable expectation that i would have definitely gone out of my way to catch that content

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

How many times has Hank yelled "bwaaahh!" already?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/Tttj6DTB_4Q

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Sure you can cancel Iron Fist, but I want a Colleen / Misty / Mary show.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Would you say it's more creepy, more scary, more thriller, or more dramatic? I'm most interested in the first and third options but none of them are bad.

Its is really, really, really, really good.

Most of the show is the family years later dealing with the emotional fallout of what happened at Hill House in their own ways and then it all blowing up in confrontation when they are forced back together. Throughout the show we get bits and pieces of life at Hill House in flashbacks. It is definitely a ghost story and it is scary. I don't really want to say anything about it because spoiling anything about this show should be an arrestable offense.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I watched the first episode of Hill House last night, and while I overall enjoyed, its relationship to the book is really weird

Straightzi on
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    My roommate was screaming a lot in the living room while he watched it. So I’m intrigued

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I'd say creepy leaning into scary. As Viskod noted, it's about how the family deals with the trauma and each other. Thus far, it's been messed up in a good way. I agree with basically everything he said though, and feel like watching and learning how it goes is a lot of the fun, do I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The cum fondue party episode, the all out of cum crisis episode, the milk the cum out of Eddie episode

White Base is out of cum

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Riverdale.

Did that crate seriously have fucking Miskatonic University on it

Are you for real right now

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Riverdale.

Yes. For real.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Riverdale.

Somebody didnt watch Archies weird mysteries

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Riverdale.

Wait what?

This discussion has been closed.