As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Remember this from the Gang War 3 book?
    vl1vdofeq0o3.png
    Well they showed off it's mini, painted
    sa87y90ce6is.png
    Hey, is that a Metroid character?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    vl1vdofeq0o3.png
    sa87y90ce6is.png

Is it weird I thought it looked like the Mother Metroid too?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    vl1vdofeq0o3.png
    sa87y90ce6is.png

Is it weird I thought it looked like the Mother Metroid too?

Nah, I was thinking Crocomire personally (all those eyes), but I've not made it too far in Return of Samus, so it may be more Mother Metroid than Crocomire.
    But, let's be honest, 40k has a considerable history with borrowing from other SciFi IPs. And, to be just as fair, they're borrowed from at least as often.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    How are the chaos marines in kt? Now that I have the color shift paint I kind of want to see if I can get an alpha legion kt setup but chaos seems kind of weak for kt.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Bland and flavourless, like old gum.
    Seriously, they're probably one of the most disappointing killteams. They're limited to the weapons in the ancient CSM kit (no heavy weapons aside from hbolter, barely any combat options, no combiweapons), no real competitive options (woo... you can bring one plasmagun), and no rules for chaos marks aside from a few lame icons and stratagems

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Seriously, they're probably one of the most disappointing killteams. They're limited to the weapons in the ancient CSM kit (no heavy weapons aside from hbolter, barely any combat options, no combiweapons), no real competitive options (woo... you can bring one plasmagun), and no rules for chaos marks aside from a few lame icons and stratagems

t sons are probably the most bland faction as far as build choice is concerned
    they are very strong though

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    How are the chaos marines in kt? Now that I have the color shift paint I kind of want to see if I can get an alpha legion kt setup but chaos seems kind of weak for kt.

Reminds me of this:

EkxiGCk.jpg

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You know I’m used to salty online complaining.

But looking at some Tau stuff online, Jesus Christ I have never seen worse. It’s a solidly mid-tier book and from what people write you can would think it’s like, Grey knights tier. Whilst the top performing lists are samey, that’s true of all factions. If your looking for mid table competitive lists there’s plenty of variety you can go for.

The best example is someone saying Pirhanas are useless. If you can’t find a use for a 70 point model, with 12 str 5 shots, t5 with six wounds and the ability to capture two objectives 36” inches apart, well then, I think the problems not with the codex.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Norgoth wrote: »

But looking at some Tau stuff online, Jesus Christ I have never seen worse. It’s a solidly mid-tier book and from what people write you can would think it’s like, Grey knights tier. Whilst the top performing lists are samey, that’s true of all factions. If your looking for mid table competitive lists there’s plenty of variety you can go for.

The best example is someone saying Pirhanas are useless. If you can’t find a use for a 70 point model, with 12 str 5 shots, t5 with six wounds and the ability to capture two objectives 36” inches apart, well then, I think the problems not with the codex.

I don't know about useless but it doesn't sound good. A stiff breeze would take that model down.

Land Speeders have t5 and 6 wounds and I basically never run them. I want to but I feel like I could run something more useful for 70 points.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yea, the lack of options is what was making me hesitate with a chaos force. Thousand Sons would be kind of cool but my friend might make a KT for Thousand Sons so I'm avoiding them.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

I don't know about useless but it doesn't sound good. A stiff breeze would take that model down.

Land Speeders have t5 and 6 wounds and I basically never run them. I want to but I feel like I could run something more useful for 70 points.

Yea, the lack of options is what was making me hesitate with a chaos force. Thousand Sons would be kind of cool but my friend might make a KT for Thousand Sons so I'm avoiding them.

Don't shield drones help with the pirhana or does it not work with vehicles?

• Options

A land speeder costs more points and has significantly less firepower, can’t become two units when needed and more importantly dosn’t fill a tactical niche in its specific army (marines having plenty of fast objective grabbers, and imperials having a much wider and better selection.)

It was more an example of how the Tau codex is actually a great example of a “good” codex in terms of game balance. Whilst there are some lame duck units, most choices are viable (again outside of hyper competitive) see also Tyranids for a similar book. It’s a little depressing to see a whole community being so despondent though. Even crisis suits can have a purpose! Keep them cheap with burst cannons, bring them with a unit of gun drones and give one a drone controller and you have 60 shots deepstriking (in the unlikely event of a fireblade being nearby its 84 shots. 120 if you also bring the drones the unit comes with, but that’s getting to silly points) . Anyone who has been on the end of a deepstrike stormboltering knows what that’s like.

Just gotta you know, think outside 7th ed.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    T5 and 6 wounds at ~70 points isn't necessarily a deal breaker. Venoms have that and they're shockingly good against pretty much anything outside of Smash Captains.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think the problem with landspeeders is that you have a vehicle that needs to constantly be on the move that can only take weapons that are penalized if you fire them after moving.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Venoms have -1 to hit, an invulnerable save, 6+ FNP, more shooting, move faster, are decent in close combat and are open topped transports!

I think only the Wave Serpent can rival it for being more ridiculously good (ignoring Ravagers who won't be great once their one trick gun gets nerfed).

Piranhas and Land Speeders aren't great, they are fragile and don't bring enough firepower, I'm not sure why you're saying 12 BS4+ Str 5 AP 0 1 Damage shots are good, we're talking about killing 2, maybe 3, guardsmen for 70 points here.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    To be clear I’m not saying it’s good. It would never be a first pick for my competitive lists.

Dosn’t mean it’s useless though. Which is my point, it’s like 90% of the codex is in the bin for them. You could take a squad of them in a pick up list and it would be fine.

There’s a few builds I’m exited to try outside of the castle build (which is still my first build), a more mobile list based on Mont’ka for example.

On a similar note you know what’s a hilarious interaction? Drones in the drone port fortification use the BS of a squad inside (which can also shoot) so putting a fireblade in one gives you five 2+ markers. Just one dude floating around in his huge ass disk seems funny to me.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Venoms have -1 to hit, an invulnerable save, 6+ FNP, more shooting, move faster, are decent in close combat and are open topped transports!

Oh, I know that they've got an absolute shit ton going for them

Just demonstrating that with the right stuff bolted on, T5 and W6 isn't a problem at all!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

A land speeder costs more points and has significantly less firepower, can’t become two units when needed and more importantly dosn’t fill a tactical niche in its specific army (marines having plenty of fast objective grabbers, and imperials having a much wider and better selection.)

It was more an example of how the Tau codex is actually a great example of a “good” codex in terms of game balance. Whilst there are some lame duck units, most choices are viable (again outside of hyper competitive) see also Tyranids for a similar book. It’s a little depressing to see a whole community being so despondent though. Even crisis suits can have a purpose! Keep them cheap with burst cannons, bring them with a unit of gun drones and give one a drone controller and you have 60 shots deepstriking (in the unlikely event of a fireblade being nearby its 84 shots. 120 if you also bring the drones the unit comes with, but that’s getting to silly points) . Anyone who has been on the end of a deepstrike stormboltering knows what that’s like.

Fireblade cant buff the weapons on a crisis suit, could buff the pulse carbines on the drones however

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    So I bought some Necrons for kill team and then whoops these guys are really cool and whoops they are fun to paint whoops I bought a bunch more whoops I guess I'll play regular Warhammer too

• Options
    Might be doing a 4 person slow grow for 40k after the holidays. My friend was talking to his wife about tabletop games and whether she wants to do fantasy or 40k. She ended up wanting to play Tyranids.

So she is gonna roll Tyranids, her husband is running Orks, I got Tau, and my brother is going to use his DG.

I feel like I'm gonna get wrecked for a while but at least I'll have cool ass mechs.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Tyranids are great for painting a variety of organic stuff. They’ve got bone, skin, several varieties of goop and/or slime, chitin, membranes, everything except fur and hair.

Speaking of which, I had some practice games with my Nids for a Saturday tourney, and I think I’ve got it nailed down. Slight variation of my normal list for 1750.
    Tyrant /w wings, devourers, claws
    Malanthrope
    Neurothrope
    3x3 Rippers
    15 Genestealers
    2x10 Termagants /w fleshborers
    4 Zoanthropes
    3 Hive Guard /w shockcannons
    Maleceptor
    3 Mucolid Spores
    3 Biovores
    3 Sporocysts /w devourers
    A bunch of mortal wound nonsense and a few big bricks to swing around, with lots of wounds to chew through. It wouldn’t be quite as effective but all the missions are regular book eternal war stuff, so staying alive and playing the objectives are more important.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Viking wrote: »

Fireblade cant buff the weapons on a crisis suit, could buff the pulse carbines on the drones however

Yeah to be clear I was talking about the fireblade buffing the drones specifically, the suits just add 12 shots in all these scenarios.

Edit: I ordered two sets of sniper drones and shadowsun and the package turned up. It’s so much finecast, send help.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The rules for the two buggies from the boxed set have leaked. The look fun.

Ironically the red one is slower. But it comes with 4 burnas(exhausts), a triple autocannon equivalent, st4 grot blasta, and stikk bombs which it can all use in the same turn. It can also deal d3 mortal wounds when charging. For power level 5

The yellow dragsta can deep strike when it rolls 4+ when advancing, has a buzzaw for close combat and a kustom shokk gun which is basically an always overcharged assault 2 plasma gun with d6 damage and additional mortal wounds on a 6+ wound roll. It also hits on 3+ because it has a grot gunner and targetting squig. Also a rokkit launcher. Power level 6

honovere on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    So I bought some Necrons for kill team and then whoops these guys are really cool and whoops they are fun to paint whoops I bought a bunch more whoops I guess I'll play regular Warhammer too

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    4GocfQX.png
    (yes, I've bough all of those during the last month).

• Options
    I expect that someone somewhere is putting Vanellope von Schweetz behind the wheel of the dragsta.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    @Mayday which display case is that? We've got an old Ikea one they don't make anymore and I want to put in a double now.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    It's the Ikea Detolf. Just bought it yesterday.

• Options
    Things you require for this hobby.

Rules.
    Models.
    Dice.
    Ikea Detolf.

• Options
    Considering the amount of sprues in my wardrobe I'm gonna need like... six...

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Badablack wrote: »
    Tyranids are great for painting a variety of organic stuff. They’ve got bone, skin, several varieties of goop and/or slime, chitin, membranes, everything except fur and hair.

*sudden conversion urge*

Re: Detolf
    I traded mine in for one of their proper bookshelves with glass doors. The detolf is nice, but putting in new shelves is a pain in the ass (basically go get new ones cut) and it always felt rickety and rattley as hell taking models out/into it.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I own two detolfs. I bought the second for the shelves; it was cheaper than getting them cut. Installing them was easy; I got a special bolt thing from ebay for a pittance.

I recently kickstarted some detolf-compatible shelves. Once I have time to assemble the second, currently shelf-less, detolf, I'll have two fully operational ones.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    So the speed freaks box comes with one Kustom Boosta-blasta and one Shokkjump Dragsta, as well as six Warbikers.

I don't know why, but I expected more new vehicles in the box and not warbikers.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    So the speed freaks box comes with one Kustom Boosta-blasta and one Shokkjump Dragsta, as well as six Warbikers.

I don't know why, but I expected more new vehicles in the box and not warbikers.

I would agree but I am not surprised

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    … we’ve known the contents of the box was ‘six bikes, plus unknown vehicles A and B, plus terrain’ literally since it was first leaked, since that leak was a photo of the contents inside the box.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I hadn't looked that closely at the promo pic of the full box to be honest, mostly just the single model pics they'd released

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    So having washed my finecast and leaving them to dry I took a look at the parts yesterday to see what I was working with.

Of the six sniper drones I bought, guess how many have straight rifles?

If you answered zero, you are a winner.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So having washed my finecast and leaving them to dry I took a look at the parts yesterday to see what I was working with.

I have the box with the metal ones I never opened because I really never had any idea what I wanted to do with the tau army I was collecting/winning

• Options
    They aren’t great, I’m using them as a bit of a gimmick to trigger focus fire easier against high save targets. I fully plan on then just throwing them into Saviour protocols rolls once they’ve done that.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

If that's the biggest problem, you're luckier than I was. Bent rifles, bubbles, partial fill failures, bits of the mold and one drone came with two left wings. Enough problems that they sent me a replacement set that was also problematic enough for me to pretty much give up Warhammer all together since.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    You know, compared to the imperial dogma, Orks are downright sensible.

ork-standard-image.png