As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    But for the PS Classic, they literally just have to sign on the dotted line, be given money by Sony, and let them use the ROM.

This is mostly true, but it doesn't explain why the Wii/WiiU didn't have all NES/SNES/N64 games. If it was easy as signing a dotted line then every game would be available everywhere.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Because they already have PS1 Classic games for sale all over PSN, I guess? They already have a base deal in place.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Because they already have PS1 Classic games for sale all over PSN, I guess? They already have a base deal in place.

Ah that's true. And still painful that none of them work on the PS4.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The PS1 games were easy because the PS3 had a built-in hardware emulator. All you had to do was just plop the game data in there and you're done.

Wii/Wii U emulation was software-based, and took a little extra work to get games up and running. That's enough for many companies to go "nah, it's not worth it."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The PS1 games were easy because the PS3 had a built-in hardware emulator. All you had to do was just plop the game data in there and you're done.

Wii/Wii U emulation was software-based, and took a little extra work to get games up and running. That's enough for many companies to go "nah, it's not worth it."
    Um, I thought that was only the first gen PS3s. I bought one of the "cheaper" ones when GTA4 came out and I'm pretty sure it has no PS1 emulation.

forty on
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »

Um, I thought that was only the first gen PS3s. I bought one of the "cheaper" ones when GTA4 came out and I'm pretty sure it has no PS1 emulation.

All PS3 consoles can play PS1 games but only early versions used hardware emulation.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The withdrawal of any form of PS2-support from PS3 models was a real stinging point for me, for exactly the reason of wanting a "PS2 retro machine" after buying multiple lemon PS2s. And unsurprisingly, my second generation PS3 has a dying or dead main fan by this point...

skeldare wrote: »
    forty wrote: »

All PS3 consoles can play PS1 games but only early versions used hardware emulation.
    Whoops, I meant no hardware PS1 emulation.

Oh doy, I completely forgot about it.

Never mind, then.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    My arcade1up rampage cabinet should be here tomorrow but Walmart preorder has zero movement on it. They did same with NES classic and I ended up cancelling.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      Ouch. Best of luck with that Tim.

Does this count? I think it counts. Analogue, the creators of the well-received Nt Mini and Super Nt--hardware platforms that pay existing NES and Super NES cartridges with the original controllers, but output video in 1080p with a lot of refinement--are giving the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive the same treatment with the Mega Sg. Notably, the hardware potentially supports a much wider array of games than the previous two entries due to their intent to support expansion accessories like the Sega CD, Mark III, Game Gear cartridges, etc.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      I got my C64 Mini but haven't connected it yet. Just got word that my NeoGeo mini has shipped.

Now I just need time to connect them up and try out.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
      I was liking around to see if there was any info on the hardware in the arcade 1up machines, didn't find any, but found articles about launch problems. I guess theu had to delay their launch because of some fault issues. Saw pictures of boxes of replacement parts coming with the units at wal mart.

It's not all doom and gloomy though. People seem to be loving them and are dual booting pi machines to run with the arcade cabinet. It's out of my price range but they look fun. Not sure how you're supposed to put 3 people around the tiny thing to play rampage or gauntlet though .

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
      Betsuni wrote: »
      I got my C64 Mini but haven't connected it yet. Just got word that my NeoGeo mini has shipped.

What region is your c64 mini, and when you do hook it up can you confirm a couple of games? I’ve heard some different things about the included games in different countries and I’m hesitant to buy one unless Jumpman and Boulder Dash are both on the US model.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      Synthesis wrote: »

Does this count? I think it counts. Analogue, the creators of the well-received Nt Mini and Super Nt--hardware platforms that pay existing NES and Super NES cartridges with the original controllers, but output video in 1080p with a lot of refinement--are giving the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive the same treatment with the Mega Sg. Notably, the hardware potentially supports a much wider array of games than the previous two entries due to their intent to support expansion accessories like the Sega CD, Mark III, Game Gear cartridges, etc.

Unless they include Turrican built-in on this one as well, it doesn't really count as plug 'n play (it doesn't even come with any controllers). It's a better fit for the retro gaming thread I linked in the OP.

...not that it stopped anyone in the last thread. ;P

What has me most curious, though, is the Game Gear adapter and whether it works on the original hardware.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!

What region is your c64 mini, and when you do hook it up can you confirm a couple of games? I’ve heard some different things about the included games in different countries and I’m hesitant to buy one unless Jumpman and Boulder Dash are both on the US model.

Uh, I think the US model. Is there a way to check it without opening it up? I'll hook it up and let you know if those games are there.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Personally I'm curious to find out which C-64 games hold up after all this time (if any).

Walmart fucked up again, but I was able to just walk into mine and get it. Man how are they so bad at pre-orders.

TimFiji wrote: »

Walmart fucked up again, but I was able to just walk into mine and get it. Man how are they so bad at pre-orders.

They are weird with pre-orders. Some systems and toys I have no problem. Then other times I swear their coding is done on an Apple ][e.

Glad to hear you finally got your system. Next is hearing how awesome it is.

oosik_betsuni.png
      • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Holy fuck yes, this is exactly what I wanted. I still have all my Genesis Carts sitting right next to me and this is a thing that I need today. Doesn't release til April though :(

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
        I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any news about the Playstation Classic's games list. A little under two months to go, though.

Uh, I think the US model. Is there a way to check it without opening it up? I'll hook it up and let you know if those games are there.

Presumably the US model will have an ESRB rating on the box and not a PEGI rating. If it doesn’t have either I am willing to assume that you got the model for wherever you live. :)

Thanks for being willing to check on that! There seems to be zero-to-negative hype about the c64 mini so you’re the first person I’ve seen say they’d actually bought one.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
        SteevL wrote: »
        I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard any news about the Playstation Classic's games list. A little under two months to go, though.

It actually worries me a little because it's almost like they are afraid if they show all the games, no one will pre-order. It just doesn't make sense that they haven't just given us the games on it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
        Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
        PSN - Brainiac_8
        Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
        Add me!
        Maybe they're hoping to dribble out the titles a few at a time to keep up interest?

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
        Just dumping the games list didn't hurt the NES/SNES.

Then again, I'm still on the fence that I want to keep my pre-order because the PS1...yikes...very few of the games aged well at all. If it was a PS1 RPG only machine I would be super down for it.

Unfortunately it isn't. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
        Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
        PSN - Brainiac_8
        Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
        Add me!
        Brainiac 8 wrote: »
        SteevL wrote: »

It actually worries me a little because it's almost like they are afraid if they show all the games, no one will pre-order. It just doesn't make sense that they haven't just given us the games on it.

I was speculating they were still having issues with a few of the licenses, but that seemed unrealistic. The above would be worse though.

• homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
        When Sony only announced 25% of the list as opposed to Nintendo's 100%, I suspected they didn't have all their ducks in a row before the reveal of the device.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        Fred Meyer is selling the Data East 8-bit Classic handheld. It boasts over 300 games and Data East classics! What this translates to is 8 old Data East NES games and 300 crappy emulations and homebrew titles. The best part? It takes 4 AA batteries to run. Yeah, no thanks.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
        Fred Meyer, Target, and Walmart all seem to be really choked with crappy single-game mini arcades this year. I could kind of see the point of them if they did a better job of resembling the original cabinets, but they are thoroughly meh.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
        No Robocop? Mediocre.

Steam: kaylesolo1
        3DS: 1521-4165-5907
        PS3: KayleSolo
        Live: Kayle Solo
        WiiU: KayleSolo

They are weird with pre-orders. Some systems and toys I have no problem. Then other times I swear their coding is done on an Apple ][e.

w8xxyd9vu33n.png

Ta-da! Now I just want to get some Rye or Cognac, have some friends over, and game.

edited October 2018
          I'm so down for multiplayer Rampage and Gauntlet. Talk about childhood memory overdose.

Edit - Hold up, does the Rom in the cabinet not play the iconic Gauntlet theme? I haven't heard it on any of the videos I've seen.

Capt Howdy on
        • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
          Only 3 games and no 4-player option killed those arcade cabinets for me.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
          Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
          Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
          Steam ID
          Twitch Page
          Nope, not during the title screen. It does play between levels though!

Nope, not during the title screen. It does play between levels though!

Nah, that's just...nah. Has to be playing on the intro. It's necessary. It's wrong, damn it.

MNC Dover wrote: »
            Only 3 games and no 4-player option killed those arcade cabinets for me.
            Even if they did have 4 sticks, I'm not sure those cabinets could comfortably support 4 toddlers playing on them, let alone adults.

MNC Dover wrote: »
            Fred Meyer is selling the Data East 8-bit Classic handheld. It boasts over 300 games and Data East classics! What this translates to is 8 old Data East NES games and 300 crappy emulations and homebrew titles. The best part? It takes 4 AA batteries to run. Yeah, no thanks.
            Not that I think it's a good product, but the guy said it takes 4 AAA batteries, and it sounds like it has a micro USB power input as well. Doesn't do much for you if you're on the go, but just saying.

Presumably the US model will have an ESRB rating on the box and not a PEGI rating. If it doesn’t have either I am willing to assume that you got the model for wherever you live. :)

Thanks for being willing to check on that! There seems to be zero-to-negative hype about the c64 mini so you’re the first person I’ve seen say they’d actually bought one.

Well, I took it out and booted it up just for you. Yep, mine is the US version (as I was hoping since I bought it from Walmart) and it does indeed have both Boulder Dash and Jumpman on it. Never played either and the cramped position I was playing it had me pressing the menu button during Jumpman. I'm sure it would work better if I was not cramped for space and have a small USB cable to power it (didn't use the one that came with it). But the joystick was responsive (at least as far as I remember old joysticks being responsive) and was really fun. I forgot to take a photo of the games, but I do have a semi unboxing photos.
            C64_mini_1.jpg
            C64_mini_2.jpg
            Fred Meyer, Target, and Walmart all seem to be really choked with crappy single-game mini arcades this year. I could kind of see the point of them if they did a better job of resembling the original cabinets, but they are thoroughly meh.

This is why those crappy single-game mini arcades exist!

mp_arcade.jpg

w8xxyd9vu33n.png

Ta-da! Now I just want to get some Rye or Cognac, have some friends over, and game.

Man, what I would give to be close enough to drive and visit you right now. I'd even buy and bring over the Cognac.

oosik_betsuni.png

w8xxyd9vu33n.png

Man, what I would give to be close enough to drive and visit you right now. I'd even buy and bring over the Cognac.[/quote]

No need. My place is pretty much a café, bar, and now arcade!

Well, I took it out and booted it up just for you. Yep, mine is the US version (as I was hoping since I bought it from Walmart) and it does indeed have both Boulder Dash and Jumpman on it. Never played either and the cramped position I was playing it had me pressing the menu button during Jumpman. I'm sure it would work better if I was not cramped for space and have a small USB cable to power it (didn't use the one that came with it). But the joystick was responsive (at least as far as I remember old joysticks being responsive) and was really fun. I forgot to take a photo of the games, but I do have a semi unboxing photos.
              C64_mini_1.jpg
              C64_mini_2.jpg

This is why those crappy single-game mini arcades exist!

mp_arcade.jpg

Thanks for double checking on the c64 mini! I will need to haunt our local Walmarts to pick one up now. :)

I like that mini cabinet better than some others, it actually has the proper side art and marquee. Not all of them go to that level of detail.