As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's... potential. It would be interesting to take TNG episodes but then show what's going on with the grunts dealing with shit like a neurotic holodeck addict suddenly taking full control of the ship, or how they're dealing with a time loop. All the focus is on the bridge crew, what about the guy in science lab 2 who has no fucking idea why his shit is suddenly turning into mayan relics.

This however will probably be like The Orville, only not as good.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I've always considered R&M to be a low rent Futurama. Yeah it's a little smarter than Family Guy but still.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    They could always play it a bit like the John Scalzi novel Redshirts
    a group of newbie ensigns gets put onto a ship, and immediately notices how everyone already on the ship's immediate priority is not going on away missions and avoiding the senior staff like the plague.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I would love a lower decks show focused on low stakes drama and romance, with funny nods to famous entire-crew-effecting space mishaps

R+M comedy style show? Not as interested

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Or like a drama of what its like to be a lower ranked ensign on a ship, not even the enterprise, I could see there being something interesting there. But this won't be that. It'll be cartoony orville only without Seth Mcfarlanes steady hand...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Lower Decks was one of my favorite TNG episodes of all time. I'd be kind of upset if they ruined it with a terrible animated show.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    EDIT: NVM

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    According to IDMB this guy was a writer's assistant for Rick and Morty and it looks like this is his first actual writing gig.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0572982/

Uh oh
    Scroll down some more

• Options
    Ah ok, that's better.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ah ok, that's better.

Yeah, the guy's been at this for a bit, and while this is a clear step up for him job-wise, so long as they don't attach Dan Harmon's brand of ironic nihilism to it nobody's likely to suffer at least.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/new-animated-star-trek-will-bring-starfleets-least-vital-ships-to-cbs-streaming/

Yeah, Mike McMahan is legit. His "Eighth Season TNG" stuff is golden.
    “His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every ‘Trek’ episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan."

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I've always considered R&M to be a low rent Futurama. Yeah it's a little smarter than Family Guy but still.

That's pretty accurate, now that you mention it...

sig.gif
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    @TNG_S8 is fucking AMAZING, I have very very high hopes.

I mean come on!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/10/new-animated-star-trek-will-bring-starfleets-least-vital-ships-to-cbs-streaming/

“His cat’s name is Riker. His son’s name is Sagan. The man is committed. He’s brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every ‘Trek’ episode, and that’s his secret sauce: he writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan."

Couple link-jumps from there led me to some art I didn't know I needed:

• Options
    amazing

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Oh thank Bob. I was terrified of the possibility of "hahaha our characters aren't important so we kill them and replace them with nearly-identical people every single episode that's funny right"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    That_Guy wrote: »

This is a really bad description of Rick and Morty. They aren't even really going for the same kind of thing.

But really, this is by a writer on Rick and Morty, not the people heading the thing so who knows wtf we are in for. This McMahan guy is almost certainly not the one who sets the tone of that show.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Shadowen wrote: »

Oh thank Bob. I was terrified of the possibility of "hahaha our characters aren't important so we kill them and replace them with nearly-identical people every single episode that's funny right"

I mean, having now read it, the S8 TNG episode-proposal formula is "One thing that sounds kind of like an actual episode, only one of the unusually surreal ones, and one trivial B-plot that usually casts Data, Geordi, Barclay, or Worf as a bumbler," more or less. Plus side, the back half of that is pretty much what you'd want for that kind of show.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Rick and Morty is actually very well written; it's also very mean and nihilistic. Depending on how hard this animated series leans into the "red shirt" concept, I give it a 50/50 shot of being anything remotely like Rick and Morty.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm just always heavily skeptical of "it's going to be like this other hit thing, except..."

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i'm just always heavily skeptical of "it's going to be like this other hit thing, except..."

I mean, nobody involved seems to be suggesting this will be R&M-like, we're just all a little worried about it given the head writer's job history. Stuff like the S8 Trek tweets is a good sign our fears won't be realized.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

I mean, nobody involved seems to be suggesting this will be R&M-like, we're just all a little worried about it given the head writer's job history. Stuff like the S8 Trek tweets is a good sign our fears won't be realized.

ok i'm putting this all on you if i am let down

• Options
    Also, it's kind of weird that we've gone from like "The movies have a shaky future and no new shows" to "There are now 3 shows in various stages of planning or production" in like a couple years.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Also, it's kind of weird that we've gone from like "The movies have a shaky future and no new shows" to "There are now 3 shows in various stages of planning or production" in like a couple years.

All of the boutique streaming services are betting on nerds flocking to their content.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    That's a terrible bet, nerds are the ones who readily know how to pirate shit.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The problem they don't see coming is that they're going to fracture in to all of these unique services and the former pirates that had converted to paying customers are going to just say fuck it and hoist the black flag once more.

Anyway, hopefully this new show is good. I'm curious as to what sort of numbers CBS is seeing with Discovery that has them going full throttle with new Trek content.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Okay I guess I'm less scared

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Okay I guess I'm less scared

Oh geez I was okay-ish with being scapegoated when it was just Chanus but you I'm actually scared of blaming me for a guy whose work history involves mostly shows I don't think that highly of writing a Star Trek Cartoon. :|

• Options
    what i'm not terrifying enough for you

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No, it's no take backs now, this is your show

• Options
    what i'm not terrifying enough for you

SiG is scarier; I don't think that's even controversial.
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    No, it's no take backs now, this is your show
    9iau7u5rmqgq.gif

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    9iau7u5rmqgq.gif

It's still kinda blowing my mind that this guy was Mad Murdock on the A-Team and is, in general, a pretty talented voice actor that you don't hear much about. He's always just been Barclay and that's it to me so when I looked up everything he's done the sheer variety was pretty impressive.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah he's done a lot of video game voice work over the years. A vertiable "that guy"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Rick and Morty is actually very well written; it's also very mean and nihilistic. Depending on how hard this animated series leans into the "red shirt" concept, I give it a 50/50 shot of being anything remotely like Rick and Morty.

it's a extremely good show that has extremely gross fans, which is a shame.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Rick and Morty has the Archie Bunker problem. Too many people identify with a character the show bends over backwards to show is a monster.

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

That too.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Rick and Morty is pure genius. Its one of the most creative and hilarious shows ever made. Unfortunately the world contains idiots who, like other people, enjoy good things. Also unfortunately, the world contains people who reflexively conclude that if there are idiots who like a thing, then it must be a thing for idiots and perhaps that thing shouldn't even exist so as to stick it to those idiots, nevermind that the majority of people who like the thing are not idiots.

I'm not that excited by an animated Star Trek show, or a comedy Star Trek show. I certainly wouldn't really want a Star Trek done in the style of Rick and Morty, but I think it's unreasonable to assume that's what this will be. Writers can work on different projects and produce different kinds of art. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was made by people who worked on Community.

If the creativity and obvious genuine love for sci-fi that Rick and Morty displays are brought over to a Star Trek show, well, who knows - maybe we could end up with something good.

• Options
    Kira is kind of a bad person but I kind of understand why?

Guess which ep I'm watching :p

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

is it Duet

Duet is really good

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

I don’t think Kira’s a bad person so much as a good person who did bad things.

Comparing her to Dukat, the big difference is that Kira did horrible things because she believed, rightly or wrongly, that she had no choice. Dukat did horrible things because it benefitted him or, often, because he felt like it.

Though I don’t think you could get away with a character like Kira on network tv today.

This discussion has been closed.