As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek] Ship Noises - Spoiler Discovery talk

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I wish Ferengi females weren't mythical submissive beings we never get to see
    Well, I have good news and bad news...

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Hm next episode is about an angry disabled person

Hmmmm
    Oh wait it's a Bashir romance ep, acceptable

No one can resist Siddig

If this is the episode I'm thinking of, it was pretty f-ing creepy in retrospect.

It's...getting worse.

Is this Melora or Sarina? Sarina's was pretty creepy but intentionally so, but I don't remember Melora's being so...

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

Hmmmm

No one can resist Siddig

If this is the episode I'm thinking of, it was pretty f-ing creepy in retrospect.

It's...getting worse.

Is this Melora or Sarina? Sarina's was pretty creepy but intentionally so, but I don't remember Melora's being so...

His pushing treatment on her wasn't great but her disability saved everyone in the end so, uhhh

Overall not sure the ep was well done on the whole

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I wish Ferengi females weren't mythical submissive beings we never get to see
    Well, I have good news and bad news...

I'm almost to the end of the ep and I'm precringing at the upcoming reveal

• Options
    Ah, one of Quark's good guy moments

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    God ds9 is good

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Hmmmm

No one can resist Siddig

It's...getting worse.

His pushing treatment on her wasn't great but her disability saved everyone in the end so, uhhh

For me, it was a combination of... being her doctor, pushing her to do the treatment, and dating her all at the same time. It was a nexus of inappropriateness, all within, like, 2 days of meeting her or something.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Jean-Luc et al also have the benefit of a room full of writers giving them win-win third options, rather than the compromises and lesser evils that the DS-9 crew often had to settle for.

as opposed to DS9 which is written by a crazy man in the 50s.

I read somewhere that a suggested last shot of the series was going to be Benny Russel on a soundstage, DS9 script in hand.

I am so, so glad they never went with that. I'd have checked out of the entire franchise permanently if they'd done that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    God ds9 is good

i feel like i make this literal post about every 6 months in this thread lol

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Registered User regular

Hmmmm

No one can resist Siddig

It's...getting worse.

I'm not a fan of that episode but on the other hand we do get the Klingon Chef scene.....I'm torn

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    klemming wrote: »
    Jean-Luc et al also have the benefit of a room full of writers giving them win-win third options, rather than the compromises and lesser evils that the DS-9 crew often had to settle for.

I read somewhere that a suggested last shot of the series was going to be Benny Russel on a soundstage, DS9 script in hand.

I am so, so glad they never went with that. I'd have checked out of the entire franchise permanently if they'd done that.

Because then it wouldn't be real?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Because it would mean the Prophets fucked up the time thing again and dumped Sisko several hundred years in the past, and now he's his own great-great*-grandfather and everything is basically ruined.

At least he all those Captain's Logs he's made over the years came in useful

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Because it would mean the Prophets fucked up the time thing again and dumped Sisko several hundred years in the past, and now he's his own great-great*-grandfather and everything is basically ruined.

...honestly that would have been a better hyper-nerdlinger explanation for the ST09 continuity than what we got.

• Options
    Woah woah who is this hottie approaching Sisko on the anniversary of his wife's death

Is this all in his head

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

it's a weird diegetic disconnect in the same way a lot of "It was all a dream" stories were.

It's like the Tommy Westphall hypothesis, except canonized.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I loved Far Beyond the Stars so part of me is all in on that proposed twist ending. But part of me feels like it would've felt forced and that they would have had to plan for that ending from the beginning for it to really work.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The only thing I think that ending has over the one we got is the sheer brass nards it would have taken.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If you wrote it as an interpretation of what was going on with Sisko's apotheosis with the prophets in the wormhole then it makes sense to me.

That is how the prophets see the universe essentially. Far Beyond the Stars is the prophets showing Sisko what its like to be outside linear time, while still acting within that timeline, through an experience of being both the author and the subject.

Sisko is already the center of a really weird timeloop, because from the Prophets' perspective, he was the first being from the timeline they ever met, but from Sisko's perspective the Prophets had been interfering with Bajor for centuries. Sisko as Benny Russell at the end of DS9 is him editing the timeline so that everything fits.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options

Because then they'd be going for the ending of the typical 'the protagonist is in an asylum and the entire series is their delusion' episode, as used in Buffy, Stargate, Smallville, and probably a bunch of shows I've never watched. It always gets presented as someone in the 'delusion' trying to gaslight them, but a lot of the time they can't help but finish with one shot of the 'real' world saying "We've lost them again", which then turns the series (and in Treks case, the entire franchise) into Just A Dream.
    Doing that to one episode is annoying, but I heard Seven Days actually ended with that, which killed any desire to keep watching that show.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

i think in a sense, yeah

obviously it’s not real real and there’s no illusion that it is, but, if it had turned out to all be some pulp sci fi written in the 40s or whatever it would not only have not made any sense in the context of the entire franchise but it would have eliminated a lot of the meaningful impact the events of the show had on the setting and on characters that existed outside DS9 itself

it would have been a real dumb way to end the series just to be cute

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The actual ending is bad enough already (and was even worse in the original draft)

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i thought the ending was a bit unsatisfying but i didn’t think it was bad in the context of the show

i mean i do think the last season’s main story was a bit of a clunker in general and the supernatural elements were silly but i thought the ending at least made sense with where they were going

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i thought the ending was a bit unsatisfying but i didn’t think it was bad in the context of the show

i mean i do think the last season’s main story was a bit of a clunker in general and the supernatural elements were silly but i thought the ending at least made sense with where they were going

Yeah, I dunno, I thought the ending ending was perfect. It was a really nice blend of things moving on but also things not changing.

Well, except breaking up O'Brien and Bashir. That was some hot fucking garbage. <3<3<3

• Options
    i never really dug the whole prophets are real beings aspect of the story/Sisko is space jesus in the first place and thought it was kind of hokey, but accepting that it was a part of the story, i think the ending was what it should have been

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the only bad thing in the ending is that they had Sisko stuck away from his son and pregnant wife with the prophets for no clear reason, thus ending his arc by treading the tired trope of the absent african-american father

should've skipped ahead a few months and had him return, then fade to black and end there

• Options
    i think reading that as absent african-american father is a bit much

• Options
    not by choice, absolutely

but for some murky reason the prophets chose to take him away from his family at a critical time, and the writers thought that'd be a great way to end

nah, no thanks, that's bullshit

• Options
    i disagree entirely but ok

• Options
    I guess I just don't see any way in which an ending where they just casually trap their lead character in some weird wormhole temple while his new wife is pregnant is in any way good

just doesn't work for me in any way whatsoever

• Options
    i don’t necessarily think it was a good ending but it makes sense that he is now a true believer and this is his mission and he has to make sacrifices to see it through

and given the nature of time to the prophets he could very well go through whatever they need him for and come back moments later or whatever, which is kind of implied, but i think being made explicit would have completely deflated the gravity of the choice from sisko’s perspective

i just entirely disagree with the assessment that this is an absentee father trope

• Options
    That's how Brooks read it. He demanded that they do something about it, so they got the 'he'll be back someday, maybe' bit added in.

• Options
    That's how Brooks read it. He demanded that they do something about it, so they got the 'he'll be back someday, maybe' bit added in.

i mean i do think the “he’ll be back” element changes the context entirely

he’s not running off with two fingers in the air like “screw you, losers!”

he’s doing what he thinks is right and is his calling, knowing that he’ll return when his work is complete

it makes the meaning of the choice entirely different

it’s more like a deployment than an abandonment

• Options
    unless you want to call soldiers overseas absentee fathers why do you hate the troops

sorry i can’t help myself sometimes

• Options
    On a connected topic, I feel moved to link this exceptional article that goes over just how great Ben and Jake's relationship is again

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The ending was weird because it had the whole 'Sisko has gone away but might return' thing, but Sisko is in the wormhole. Just fly a ship out there, park in the middle of it and honk the horn until he stops by for a chat.
    There's also the thing that he's outside linear time and all that, so the fact he didn't use all that time travel mojo to pop back onto DS9 five minutes after he left is also weird.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    To be honest though, the fact that Brooks himself found the ending so profoundly awful that he demanded they change even that one line to make it seem better is pretty damning. I can't imagine he was still completely find with it.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The problem with the DS9 ending is that it's not Trek. Trek is about humanity overcoming is basic instincts for hatred and violence and superstitions, and reaching its full potential. The ending of DS9 was about Sisko and Dukat playing roles in prophecies of Abrahamic-religions-with-prostetics and fist-fighting in a cave of fire to destroy a holy book that's the key to Hell.

I have the same problem with the ending of Sacrifice of Angels. Instead of humanity leading the way and using its resourcefulness to prevent the Dominion fleet from reaching the Alpha Quadrant, Sisko basically prays hard enough to convince the Prophets to make the fleet magically disappear.

I love the Bajoran religion, it adds great depth to their society and their characters. And I love the Prophets as aliens so far removed from us we can barely make any sense of them or grasp their godlike power. But making them into active agents in the story of the show was a huge mistake IMO.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I dunno, I kinda liked him calling them out on being willing to be seen as gods but not do anything to help Bajor.
    It was the elephant in the room, but instead of ignoring it or shooing the elephant out, Sisko got the elephant to trample the bad guys.

• Options
    I dunno, I kinda liked him calling them out on being willing to be seen as gods but not do anything to help Bajor.
    It was the elephant in the room, but instead of ignoring it or shooing the elephant out, Sisko got the elephant to trample the bad guys.

at the same point it's also a literal deus ex machina though

• Options
    But the Deus was already there, they just decided to not handwave a reason not to use it.

Like, usually a deus ex machina comes out of nowhere to solve everything, these guys have been around since the first episode.

This discussion has been closed.