As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War: Live Action Film & Animated Series Coming to Netflix?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Panel with Rod Fergusson about to start in 15 minutes.

http://www.mixer.com/xbox

• Options
    So that was pretty weaksauce, but we got a few tidbits

-Gears POP will be the first of the 3 games out. Soft launch "soon"
    -Still no announcement for Gears Tactics on Xbox. "Focusing on the PC for now"
    -Apparently they put "FENIX" on JD's chestplate for the trailer so people would recognize it was JD. Won't be in the final game.
    -Gears movie is still in the works, just going slowly because movies.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I typically don't like mobile games but gears pop has me legitimately interested. Maybe that's because we know virtually nothing about it I dunno

• Options
    I typically don't like mobile games but gears pop has me legitimately interested. Maybe that's because we know virtually nothing about it I dunno

It's a MOBA rush, so it basically sounds like a million other mobile games.

You'll probably be getting chances to roll slot machines hoping to get characters worth a lot of stars so you can upgrade their level, quality, equipment, enchantments, super-level and whatever other kind of grindy treadmill they think they can cram in there.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

You'll probably be getting chances to roll slot machines hoping to get characters worth a lot of stars so you can upgrade their level, quality, equipment, enchantments, super-level and whatever other kind of grindy treadmill they think they can cram in there.

You sure you aren't describing Gears 4? ;-)

• Options

even still, it's gears and i can't help but love stuff with gears slapped on it

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Mobile Gatcha games are like Gears 4 on crack, speed, meth and 500 cups of expresso.

Like.. You roll the slot machine, get a character. 99% of the time it will not be max star quality, so you have this shitty version. You need to level the character. You'll need to feed weaker characters to this character to raise it's star rating. You need to find or buy items to outfit the character. (Often requiring more slot machine usage) You'll need to farm currency to spend on enchantments on the characters equipment. All of this stuff is limited by energy, so you can only accomplish so much in a day.

The entire system is built to slow down to such excruciating levels that your brain goes "Just put some money into this game to skip the bullshit." Except it's ALL bullshit.

With Gears you're just hunting for the character skin you want, and level Horde powers. Given the choice, I'd go with Gears 4's model every time.

I'd recommend looking up the Shadow of War mobile game that came out last year to get an idea of just what huge piles of shit those kinds of games are. There's also ones for Transformers and Marvel I've tried and it's all the same garbage.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    I've never understood why people bother to play or support those type of games. How did we get to the point that those designs make enough money that they keep getting made??

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

80 to 90% of what I've played of GoW 4 is still the singleplayer. :wink:

• Options
    Generally if I feel compelled to put money in for those sort of games I stop playing. Probably why I never really play mobile games. That and playing against AI is pretty boring so although I'm looking forward to the gears version I'm sure I'm not gonna stick with it long

• Options
    Message to Gear Fans: Holy shit, that was crazy about Blizzard, huh? Please don't be angry.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Message to Gear Fans: Holy shit, that was crazy about Blizzard, huh? Please don't be angry.

TC literally announced TWO Gears games after they announced their mobile game. They did things 100% the right way. "Here's our goofy mobile spinoff.... okay, here's what you've actually been waiting for."

To their credit, that looks more like Clash Royale than the gotcha trash I was expecting. Still probably going to be loaded with microtransactions though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah no one was upset about the mobile game I thought? Like they have two actual games coming and one silly one on mobile.

Though really I want Obsidian to be tasked with making a gears single player rpg...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm in for Gears Pop, Tactics, and Gears 5. Give me all the Gears.

• Options
    Yeah, it doesn't hurt that GOW4, while not perfect, was still pretty damn good at least, and only came out in 2016. No one's that angry for a Gears of War 5--on the contrary, I'm up for something new as well (I keep hoping for singleplayer DLC, as unlikely as that is).

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Sometime brought up an interesting point; the timing of this would have made it a good candidate to show up at X018. I wonder if they pulled it after what happened at Blizzcon.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Yeah, it doesn't hurt that GOW4, while not perfect, was still pretty damn good at least, and only came out in 2016. No one's that angry for a Gears of War 5--on the contrary, I'm up for something new as well (I keep hoping for singleplayer DLC, as unlikely as that is).

I liked the story in gears 4. They did some missteps with horde mode (I didn't really play the pvp so I have no idea how that shook out), but I'm still excited for gears 5

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Horde Mode is a lot more elaborate this time around, with the defense construction mechanic--on the other hand, it has loot boxes. Not the kind that are going to get targeted for regulation by national agencies, but still.

• Options
    Yeah, the horde loot boxes were a novelty at first, but I'd rather see a skill tree or something next time around.

I do wonder how fans who have dumped HUNDREDS of dollars (or farmed hundreds if thousands of credits) are going to feel when all that shit is essentially worthless come Gears 5.

• Options
    Yeah, the horde loot boxes were a novelty at first, but I'd rather see a skill tree or something next time around.

I do wonder how fans who have dumped HUNDREDS of dollars (or farmed hundreds if thousands of credits) are going to feel when all that shit is essentially worthless come Gears 5.

Same way they felt about all the gears 3 multi customizations they had that became worthless. I mean they can still play gears 4 if they want to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Same way they felt about all the gears 3 multi customizations they had that became worthless. I mean they can still play gears 4 if they want to.

Yeah, but those were mostly just unlocks or came with dlc maps. You can put nigh on infinite time and money into Gears4.

• Options

Yeah, but those were mostly just unlocks or came with dlc maps. You can put nigh on infinite time and money into Gears4.

Eh gears had plenty of paid cosmetics. They weren't loot box based, but I remember there being quite a lot of pallette stuff you could buy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Eh gears had plenty of paid cosmetics. They weren't loot box based, but I remember there being quite a lot of pallette stuff you could buy.

Oh right, I forgot about those riduculous weapon skins packs.

• Options

you'd be surprised. if you ask competitive players gears 4 is the worst thing since call of duty

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gears 4 online was awesome. Although... I'm pretty sure it's still hogging 100GB of my SSD. Game is far too big for its content.

• Options
    i could see myself playing this. clash of clans was fine, but this is gears so ill be more invested i think.

• Options

you'd be surprised. if you ask competitive players gears 4 is the worst thing since call of duty

Fortunately, nowadays that's a compliment. The whimsy of the winds, or something.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    If I don't get Explosive Headshot out of the Horde lootboxes by the time 5 hits I will not buy 5! This is even if I am not even playing 4, so it better work at getting it to me extra hard!

• Options
    gears charity tournament goin on. optic rockin all pink (in and out of game) for breast cancer charity they are supporting

• Options
    F. Scott Frazier allegedly is writing the gears movie

Literally zero idea who that is

• Options
    Writer of such films as "xXx: Return of Xander Cage" and some other stuff I've never heard of.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    That's not great. His track record isn't amazing, but maybe he can pull something off by following the source material closer. It's a pretty basic story anyway.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    my fear would be that they try to meld every gears game into a single movie. i can't think of any examples at the moment but i feel as though this has happened with adaptations before. that or they mangle the backstory by trying to jam it in. the first gears movie (because there will of course be a trilogy right?) can just handwave stuff due to the dire situation and bring other details in later. koopahtroopah is right, just follow the game script. it works really well as an action movie plotline i think

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I hate modern movies now because of the exposition dump and having to explain everything being a prerequisite now.

Just make the damn movie and let the audience fill in the blanks or i'unno... Wiki the lore because its right there on the internet.

If you gotta exposi dump. Look at star wars or DREDD 2012. 30 seconds max, sets the tone of the movie, gives you the barest of bones to get up to speed.

I think I talked about this last thread...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    a gears movie like dredd 2012 would be pretty cool

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    it'll be at least another 30 years before any good video game movie comes out, judging by the comic book timeline.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    it'll be at least another 30 years before any good video game movie comes out, judging by the comic book timeline.

Detective Pikachu is next year.

Fingers crossed!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Speaking of a gears movie...

https://youtu.be/qvm-FN4JzeY

Edit*** my bad @WingedWeasel already mentioned all this. Nvm.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Goddamn it. So in thirty years, I still won't like 96% of Hollywood's video game movies.

Well, I guess the Tales of Vesperia prequel movie was okay. :?

Synthesis on