As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think non-magic players are looking for "magic" without the investment. At least, that's my experience. The deck builders got LCGs, but those who don't like to build decks haven't really had a game other than preconstructed stuff.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    It's too bad Codex didn't make a bigger splash. :sad:

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Personally, playing with a random deck defeats everything I like about CCGs/LCGs making/drafting/whatevering a deck that plays how I like. The idea of getting a random playstyle sounds... frankly awful.

I do love that people are out there trying new things and I do love that a segment of players are getting something that is answering a want for them. It's just decidedly not for me.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Pandamic legacy season 1 April spoiler for question's about open boxes .
    One of them said put this sticker near box 7. I think it was the wrong sticker as it was the sticker for the mutated disease instructor. The C version.

I've had a couple of other obvious problems where things weren't there or weren't in the right place. There was no sticker to open box 1 I believe it was.

Thanks

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The deck builders got LCGs, but those who don't like to build decks haven't really had a game other than preconstructed stuff.

I'm not a deck builder at all but I'm a competitive Netrunner player with full collections of Game of Thrones, Doomtown, Lord of the Rings, and Arkham. It's so easy to net deck these days that not wanting to build your own deck shouldn't be a barrier to anyone who wants to play those games.

I 100% agree with everything Inquisitor says. Being able to choose a playstyle you like is HUGE for me. I also really, really enjoy the part of constructed formats where you can get an edge by making intelligent deductions about what cards your opponent has *chosen* to put in their deck based on what you've seen already. As soon as that depth is gone my interest dives off a cliff.

But, again, it's really great that somebody's trying something new in the (pretty stagnant) card game space, even if that something isn't for me.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I'd like to personally congratulate the - I'm guessing - roughly four of us in this thread who didn't buy into Keyforge today. ;P

There are dozens of us!

But of course I hope every one else is having a lot of fun!

• Options
    edited November 2018
    RickRude wrote: »
    One of them said put this sticker near box 7. I think it was the wrong sticker as it was the sticker for the mutated disease instructor. The C version.

I've had a couple of other obvious problems where things weren't there or weren't in the right place. There was no sticker to open box 1 I believe it was.

Thanks
    Most of the "open box" commands are printed on the big sheet under the sticker, not on the sticker itself. So check the holes where the stickers came from for instructions as well.

The other possibility is that you got a counterfeit game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Personally, playing with a random deck defeats everything I like about CCGs/LCGs making/drafting/whatevering a deck that plays how I like. The idea of getting a random playstyle sounds... frankly awful.

I do love that people are out there trying new things and I do love that a segment of players are getting something that is answering a want for them. It's just decidedly not for me.

I expect to take a crack at it at Unplugged, like ArcSyn, but I'm not at all sure it'll stick unless they did a remarkably good job seeding the decks with interesting stuff.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

Thanks
    Most of the "open box" commands are printed on the big sheet under the sticker, not on the sticker itself. So check the holes where the stickers came from for instructions as well.

The other possibility is that you got a counterfeit game.

Oh it's defiantly a counterfeit sadly. I've come to realize it over time with the low quality of everything . Pretty sure it's too late to do anything about it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Thanks

What is the actual question here? I'm confused about you putting stickers "near" a box too.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    You only have yourself to blame, now get out there and enjoy that delicious dessert

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And do it shirtless with only shorts and sandals on!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Epimer wrote: »
    The deck builders got LCGs, but those who don't like to build decks haven't really had a game other than preconstructed stuff.

I'm not a deck builder at all but I'm a competitive Netrunner player with full collections of Game of Thrones, Doomtown, Lord of the Rings, and Arkham. It's so easy to net deck these days that not wanting to build your own deck shouldn't be a barrier to anyone who wants to play those games.

I 100% agree with everything Inquisitor says. Being able to choose a playstyle you like is HUGE for me. I also really, really enjoy the part of constructed formats where you can get an edge by making intelligent deductions about what cards your opponent has *chosen* to put in their deck based on what you've seen already. As soon as that depth is gone my interest dives off a cliff.

But, again, it's really great that somebody's trying something new in the (pretty stagnant) card game space, even if that something isn't for me.

The deck list is available on a card that you can see. I imagine that wouldn't be hidden information (though I haven't read the full rules cover to cover)... So you can make calculations on what an opponent has in hand or left in their deck based on what they've played already.

I completely understand wanting to create/draft your own deck, or deduce how an opponent built a deck.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I've been reading through the Betrayal Legacy rulebook and I'm really confused. It makes it sound like the Crest tokens in the box should have 1 blank side but none of them do.

I'm not sure what to do about this.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Board game thread, I come to you with a question of terminology.

A lot of games can be played in an asynchronous fashion, with players taking turns over the course of days or even weeks. Diplomacy, Chess, Words With Friends, etc. Games like that often end up being played in office environments, because coworkers can play against each other even if they don't work the same shift, or only have a few minutes to spare during their lunch break. For instance, Tank Tactics:

https://www.engadget.com/2013/04/01/tank-tactics-the-prototype-that-almost-ruined-halfbrick/

Is there a term that describes games which are specifically designed/intended for massively multiplayer, asynchronous environments like this? I'm part of the social committee at my office, and I'm considering the possibility of running something like this for a few weeks, but my research is stymied by the fact that there's no one unified search term (that I'm aware of) to reference this situation. I've tried stuff like "good games for the office", but that just gets me articles about "browser games you can play while the boss isn't watching" and such.

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    These days asynchronous multiplayer is about the closest I’ve seen to categorizing that too. Used to lump these under Play By Mail or Play By Email, but that’s dating me 😀. Sorry if that’s not much help.

Raw Concrete on
    Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I've run Zendo asynchronously at my office, and it has worked really well. Set out a couple koans, with a piece of paper for people down the rule. Every half hour or so I'd walk over to the table and set up a new koan until someone guessed the rule. Nice because engagement is whatever people want it to be.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    zendo is super accessible too

sig.gif
  • Options
    Played the prologue and the first two chapters of Betrayal Legacy tonight and so far it is really good. We are all enjoying it and we really like the narrative that the game has and how for now it is driven a specific way. We've already been told to destroy a card because it wont be part of our story.

I am really curious to know if the decks are random for each legacy box. One of the other players is considering grabbing a copy so we can do it again but if it is in the same order it wouldn't be worth it.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Played Twilight Imperium (3E) for the first time last night! I don't think I liked it!

I had previously played Star Wars Rebellion a few times, which I now realize was basically just FFG taking Twilight Imperium, putting a Star Wars skin on it, and adding in the whole leaders and find the Rebel base system, but I ALSO didn't like that game very much either and I have a lot of the same opinions between the two

Essentially what it comes down to is there's a lot of things about Twilight Imperium I like a lot: I think the races are really neat, the galaxybuilding part is super cool, I like the selecting cards aspect, the political system is very interesting, I love all the space for negotiation and maneuvering around each other, but fielding an army and actually getting into fights is so fiddly and overwhelming and tedious that it kinda singlehandedly sinks the whole game for me; just rolling over and over and over, keeping track of the million+ units you have, interrupting each other with annoying action cards, is just so completely uninteresting to me that I wish it wasn't even a part of the game, even though I know it has to be

But I'm the guy who exclusively wants to play Civilization with wars turned off, I just want to play the game of "who can build the best engine and take best advantage of their available surroundings," and I know that's neither balanced nor nearly as complex, but that's pretty much always what I prefer to play like in anything you could call a 4X game, which I might say TI qualifies as

Strangely enough, and I know this is going to make me seem like a complete insane person because these games are complete polar opposites and y'all hate it, but I think everything I want out of Twilight Imperium I can get in Cosmic Encounter in 1/5th of the time investment

I would play it again as like a once-a-year big blowout start at noon play at full capacity, but I can't see myself wanting to play it in any context other than that

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That does indeed make you sound crazy.

You're not wrong though that combat is weak in TI

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    It's not crazy, Twilight Imperium (3rd at least) is a bad game. It's definitely overcomplicated, takes too long to do everything, and has a lot of wasted actions which end up just not mattering.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    My one play of ti4 would have been great if it was a 2 hour game. As a 7 hour game it was not enjoyable.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I’ve come to the conclusion that TI is more about positioning than actual combat. In order to win a combat in a way that’s not too costly, you need a significant fleet advantage, and in a balanced game nobody is going to give you that. However, the process of jockeying for that theoretical advantage influences others’ play and small inequities allow you to extract concessions, resources, trade, etc.

But maybe that’s because I have yet to play the second half of the game in 4th edition. Maybe that’s when all the fighting kicks off! Maybe we’d get there if certain people made a comittment and didn’t have to leave early for plans they didn’t TELL US ABOUT I’m not bitter, you’re bitter, shut up.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I have a friend who bought a copy of the new edition of Twilight Imperium around when it came out and he keeps trying to setup days to play it but it never ends up happening.

I really hesitant to play a game I'm not sure I will enjoy that will take 7 to 8 hours. It is such a massive time investment. He has also been getting kind of angry when we play board games since he wants to play Twilight Imperium so bad. I did tell him he can play without me because I'm the only one in the group not really into it and he has played with a different group but he just really wants our group to play.

• Options
    It's worth playing once just to experience it I think. Go in with an open mind. Plenty of people love it!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I love TI but I think I would not try it if I were you

I knew I was going to love it going in

sig.gif
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of TI, but the reality is a couple of hours of enjoyable empire-building before the fatigue sets in. I can get in maybe four or five other games in the time it takes to play, and the variety of those games will keep my interest much longer. Eclipse has its problems, but it scratches the same itch in about a third of the time.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Played Keyforge today. It was fine, but something about it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Needing* to buy a Core Set to play a big factor in that feeling. Gave the deck I bought to my friend who bought the Core Set since that's the only time I'd use it anyway.

*Not strictly true, as the needed parts can be approximated and the full rules are only available online anyway, but that's the intent.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Im down for spending a day to play TI, but damn if it would be a game I could only bring to the table once or twice in a year, at the top end. I want it so bad.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Played Keyforge today. It was fine, but something about it definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Needing* to buy a Core Set to play a big factor in that feeling. Gave the deck I bought to my friend who bought the Core Set since that's the only time I'd use it anyway.

*Not strictly true, as the needed parts can be approximated and the full rules are only available online anyway, but that's the intent.

I think this is the only ffg card game that you can't legitimately complain about having to buy core sets for. The game is totally playable with 2 random decks and some tokens. Most of their games you have to buy like 3 core sets.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Yeah, I plan to just buy a single deck if I decide to buy in, and just use coins/dice for whatever is needed. $10 is an easy buy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Someone I played at my pre-release was using some sort of Android phone app to track all their counters.

I was all :| when I saw that. Seemed more cumbersome than just using... I dunno... one of those tubes of Chessex tokens. Or any sort of coin.

And then the app crashed, and it didn't save. Thankfully we were able to recreate the board state using physical tokens afterwards.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Twilight Imperium can be played in under 5 hours if you put strict time limits on turns and negotiations. Make the deal with your friend that you'll play, but only with time limits and banning secret negotiations (I think those are what's responsible for the 7-12 hour games, I can't imagine one lasting more than 6 without them).

There's rarely an excuse for someone's turn to take more than 1 minute since they should have been planning what to do ahead of time (rarely, someone going right before you will do something that makes you completely rethink your action, but rarely). Set the rule of 1 minute turns (with rare exceptions), plan your move ahead of time, no spacing out, and no fiddling on your phone (for fuck's sake). Anyone prone to constantly looking up and going, "Oh, is it my turn? What should I do....." should not be playing TI.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I think anyone who would be okay with a 5-6 hour game of twilight imperium would probably also be okay with it lasting another hour though, is the problem there. Like if your low end was 2.5-3 hours you might be getting down into numbers that might change someone's mind.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I've seen it make the difference between 4 and 7.

It has significant flaws though to the point where I wouldn't want to play it again without some big house rules or fixing expansion (like what the first expansion did for TI2). Those tech objectives can't die fast enough, and they need to change voting rules so that every agenda isn't just abstaining or playing riders (does anyone think those are fun?).

MrBody on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I think this is the only ffg card game that you can't legitimately complain about having to buy core sets for. The game is totally playable with 2 random decks and some tokens. Most of their games you have to buy like 3 core sets.

True, and the single deck play was also lacking. I had multiple turns with no creatures and nothing to do, an even 2-2-2 split of houses in my hand, and/or just utterly dead on board because I couldn't stop my opponent from forging their third key with the cards in my hand and in play. Not that any of this is exclusive to KF by any means — I have definitely been in equivalent situations in Sealed Magic play — but the fact that I had zero control over the cards in my deck limited the few play decisions I was actually able to make, which is emphatically not the case when I play Sealed.

For me, deckbuilding is what I enjoy and KF does not offer that. The Core Set thing was added on top of that.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Twilight Imperium can be played in under 5 hours if you put strict time limits on turns and negotiations. Make the deal with your friend that you'll play, but only with time limits and banning secret negotiations (I think those are what's responsible for the 7-12 hour games, I can't imagine one lasting more than 6 without them).

The game I played in had no secret negotiations (though it was the first time playing for multiple of the 6 players), and we ended it a little early after 11 hours. I think 6 hours is a good time for an experienced group that knows what they are doing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    MrBody wrote: »

The game I played in had no secret negotiations (though it was the first time playing for multiple of the 6 players), and we ended it a little early after 11 hours. I think 6 hours is a good time for an experienced group that knows what they are doing.

11 hours must have included substantial breaks right?

I played a recent 5 player game with three new people in 4 or 5 hours

Mojo_Jojo on
This discussion has been closed.