As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The 487th Trigintannual Debate About If You Die When You Use The Transporter In Star Trek

1235»

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    When did Larlar grow that handsome evil twin goatee?
    your option b is my second option on the poll but less sarcastic

yeah which is why it totally wasn't for me :p

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    man they should have really asked Q one of those times they wrung a favor out of him

this is how you get an existential crisis destroying the entire federation though

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    You totally die!
    you'd think the people who make the transporters would understand how they work

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I think they were originally designed for use with inorganic material. I.E cargo transfer etc

but then some idiot tried it on a human in an emergency and it... worked out! so they kept doing it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I think they were originally designed for use with inorganic material. I.E cargo transfer etc

but then some idiot tried it on a human in an emergency and it... worked out! so they kept doing it.

Some nerd did it to impress their significant other while drunk on a college campus, worelike. And then wrote a paper.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    It doesn't matter because consciousness is an illusion, so one me is as good as any other.
    Whenever the Enterprise is boarded, why don't they just transport bricks into the brains of all invading enemies?
    Anzekay wrote: »

whatever you know they'd be testing this on mice the same day it was invented

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    You totally die!
    or transport their attackers into a wall or outside the ship

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I went and look it up

there's no recording of exactly when the first use of it on a person was, but the first person to get transported was the same guy who invented the technology

we're just shown that in the Enterprise time period everyone was very reluctant to use it on humans at first

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    It doesn't matter because consciousness is an illusion, so one me is as good as any other.
    Don’t know if anyone’s brought it up but in China Melviles novel Kraken, there’s a Star Trek fan who as worked out how to replicate transporters using magic, and sells his services. Unfortunately he’s also haunted by large amounts of his own ghosts as he dies every time he does it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Don’t know if anyone’s brought it up but in China Melviles novel Kraken, there’s a Star Trek fan who as worked out how to replicate transporters using magic, and sells his services. Unfortunately he’s also haunted by large amounts of his own ghosts as he dies every time he does it.

That doesn't make any sense! It's the other one who dies!

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    You totally die!
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

That doesn't make any sense! It's the other one who dies!

Yeah, but the soul gets copied too before getting destroyed, so infinite ghosts of yourself.

I'm with option, you totally die but it doesn't matter if the original doesn't experience the death.

• Options
    You can't copy a soul! That raises deeper questions!

• Options
    Copying the soul was the easy part. Fixing it to the body so you weren't just creating zombie replicas was hard.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    You can't copy a soul! That raises deeper questions!
    They do in Star Trek, so...

sig.gif
  • Options
    yeah I figure the only time they copy a soul in Star Trek is when the Riker mishap occurs

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You totally die!
    if there is an afterlife in star trek it is just, like, fucking packed

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    if there is an afterlife in star trek it is just, like, fucking packed

There is, and Q is God.

• Options
    if Q is god I'd rather go to purgatory tbh

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    You totally die!
    But then Guinan is also probably a god and that means you get to hang out with 90's Whoopie Goldberg

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You totally die!
    also clearly neither of them are gods.