As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yippie Ki-Yay, Mother[love]er

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am having a slightly shit weekend despite the universe's best efforts to cheer me up.

I'm just so lonely.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    :bro:

Sticking my own predicament in a spoiler
    I have decided to take the bus down to my brother's house for Christmas. My mother is, too. Her and my dad aren't speaking right now and that isn't likely to change anytime soon. My father is not yet aware of our Christmas plans other than a small talk on the way home from Thanksgiving (before they stopped talking) where my dad said he didn't want to go to my brother's house for Christmas.

I feel kind of bad about him basically being left alone on Christmas, and also don't quite know how or when to tell him, as he's a very hard man to talk to when he gets upset (and he gets upset easy). Any advice is welcome

• Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    I would like to know that I'm not the only one who's gonna spend most of my holidays alone again, but I probably am. No gifts, family gatherings, no one to care about me. Just like any other time or day of the year, having to watch everyone else being happy or at least having things to look forward to but me. Feel pretty much dead inside.

Fyi, if I added anyone here to Snapchat, I wasn't being a creep, I just added some suggestions as I need more people to bother using it.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    grrmusha wrote: »
    I would like to know that I'm not the only one who's gonna spend most of my holidays alone again, but I probably am. No gifts, family gatherings, no one to care about me. Just like any other time or day of the year, having to watch everyone else being happy or at least having things to look forward to but me. Feel pretty much dead inside.

Fyi, if I added anyone here to Snapchat, I wasn't being a creep, I just added some suggestions as I need more people to bother using it.

Hey.

If you ever want to commiserate some, my pm box is open. I can't say I have no one at all and I can't say I have nothing. But I've been there.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would say the same. I hope things turn around for you, for everyone having a rough time really. Even me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

My family lives out of state, and the girl I was dating essentially called a hard break on the relationship, so, I'll be in a similar boat this holiday. I imagine I'll see some friends here and there between their holiday obligations. Plan to do some cat sitting for some friends that will be in Australia for a wedding, so I'll have a cat snuggle buddy.

But I'll mostly be on my own. But, I'm also quite okay with that. I'll have plenty of time to play games, build models, go rock climbing, read books and more.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm almost certainly gonna be alone over xmas, but my plan is just to find some fun stuff to do on my own (which will probably mostly be doing a day road trip or two combined with xmas drink/movie combinations and video games).

Sadly since I'm in SoCal, a white xmas is out of the question, but I might try and find a nearby mountain somewhere to kick around in some snow for a day.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    It feels a bit weird on Bumble to get matches, but no messages. On something like Tindr or OkCupid I can get liking someone and then hoping/expecting them to message you first (I do that enough myself) but on a platform where you have to message first and non-paid members won't even see who likes them before you message, it seems a bit odd to say you're interested in somebody and then... not say anything to them?

I'm not saying I don't understand necessarily, it just feels odd.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    The lady I've been chatting with on bumble sent me a picture of her Christmas tree and her doggo!

Is a very pretty tree and a very good cute doggo

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Solo Christmas here too. I'm thinking I'll pony up for a holiday buffet at one of the hotels out here, the menu looks pretty good. After that, go to the movies and drink, not necessarily in that order.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It feels a bit weird on Bumble to get matches, but no messages. On something like Tindr or OkCupid I can get liking someone and then hoping/expecting them to message you first (I do that enough myself) but on a platform where you have to message first and non-paid members won't even see who likes them before you message, it seems a bit odd to say you're interested in somebody and then... not say anything to them?

I'm not saying I don't understand necessarily, it just feels odd.

I gave up on bumble when it was just bots showing interest tindr is better left unsaid okc has been a heartbreaking test as i get a few to talk to me but it falls to either the claims of i am lying about lacking children or that i have never been married or my personal fav unicorn hunting. In general it's been just soul crushing to even try with work applying the force

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Solo Christmas here too. I'm thinking I'll pony up for a holiday buffet at one of the hotels out here, the menu looks pretty good. After that, go to the movies and drink, not necessarily in that order.
    The Perkins around the corner from me is advertising they'll be open on Christmas, so I think that'll be the plan.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Uriel wrote: »

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would say the same.

Not females and over 30. I must be hideous. It's my fault though. Giving chances to people over and over and over and then ending up alone.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I would rather spend Christmas alone than with me dad, but my mom and uncle will be there, too, so maybe it will be a bit better than spending it alone.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm probably going to spend Christmas driving for Uber. My family is in the midwest, I'm still dealing with a lot of baggage around the end of my 10 year relationship (god, it's been six month already), and I might as well make some money on one of the few days that Los Angeles has next to zero traffic.

I took the whole span from Christmas eve through New Year's day off of work. I think I'll use one of those days up renting a fast car and treating myself to a nice dinner and saying fuck off to 2018. Anyone in SoCal that also wants to give 2018 a send off is welcome to join me.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I’m kinda glad that my christmas period is going to be mostly friends & family free, because this entire year has been ridiculous and a week off work with no social obligations sounds like the best thing in the universe at this point.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would say the same.

Not females and over 30. I must be freakin' hideous. It's my fault though. Giving chances to wrong people over and over and over.

You could always volunteer at a shelter. You wouldn't be alone and you'd be giving back to people who need it. Good luck.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I do have people I can sometimes go out with or talk to every day, but I'm still alone. No one really cares.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It'S gona by my first Christmas ever without visiting parts of my family. Girlfriend and I decided to elope to France instead, so we might actually be rested after the holidays for once in our life.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Follow up date tonight with that one handsome fun femme from Wednesday. Gonna go see the holiday lights at the Zoo and I'm excited because I've never seen the Zoo after dark before. They also get really excited about cool animal facts so I'm excited to flex the field biologist knowledge a little.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Follow up date tonight with that one handsome fun femme from Wednesday. Gonna go see the holiday lights at the Zoo and I'm excited because I've never seen the Zoo after dark before. They also get really excited about cool animal facts so I'm excited to flex the field biologist knowledge a little.

National Zoo in DC?

Zoo Lights are AWESOME, you will have a great time!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I do have people I can sometimes go out with or talk to every day, but I'm still alone. No one really cares.

Hey I'm alone too, it's going to be alright.

Sometimes it's better than being in a forced relationship or one with a person who doesn't care. Relationships are great, don't get me wrong, but sometimes being alone is good too. But I hear you, being lonely sucks and the holidays just kind of feel like another day when everyone else has plans to do things.

How about your family, can you visit them or are they no good for whatever reason?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

National Zoo in DC?

That'd be the one!

we're both ex-Smithsonian too so there's an entire extra level of DC nerdiness here

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

National Zoo in DC?

That'd be the one!

we're both ex-Smithsonian too so there's an entire extra level of DC nerdiness here

I have friends and family that work in Smithsonian!

In the greenhouse and butterfly garden and somewhere in Natural History

My grandfather was a prominent figure in Natural History as well working in gems and minerals and the (sadly no longer there) blue whale.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The F did I not know about Zoolights, I've gotta get my kids (who I love, thread appropriate) down there. Is it hella crowded on weekends? Is that a really stupid question?

• Options
    Didn't know of a best place to put this but I wanted to share

Reminder: be kind to yourself.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    The F did I not know about Zoolights, I've gotta get my kids (who I love, thread appropriate) down there. Is it hella crowded on weekends? Is that a really stupid question?

It's always a bit crowded, but not bad. the only actual bad part about zoo lights is parking and leaving.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Didn't know of a best place to put this but I wanted to share

Reminder: be kind to yourself.

Ha, a friend sent me that last night. I agree with the sentiment but I don't apply it. "You fuckin' idiot".

And what an attractive man. I couldn't decide whether I find him attractive or not in The Flash.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Met someone who I really liked, and for a while I thought there was a possibility and we were talking pretty much every day and climbing together.

Recently I started realizing that our conversations were one sided. Even though she would initiate them, it's always about her, and if I after she get's out whatever she wanted to say she doesn't really seem involved in the conversation.

Also I'm annoyed that she literally doesn't ask anything about me, or how things are.

So I'm trying to detach gracefully...but then I'll get a text from her, and I'm sucked back in.

Ugh.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If there are people in the PNW who don't have family that they can/want to hang out with for xmas stuff, you're welcome to come to @Janson and my house

only sticking point is our 'no murderer' policy

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Awww...

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Look I'm not saying all murderers are bad people but we've just had bad experiences with the murderers we've met. Namely that they try and murder us.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Moriveth wrote: »
    If there are people in the PNW who don't have family that they can/want to hang out with for xmas stuff, you're welcome to come to @Janson and my house

only sticking point is our 'no murderer' policy

I'd totally come over but, you know

It's a way

Solar on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Typical Brit "oh no 7700 km is so far"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I think he meant that murdering is a way of life

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    If I cannot get there with a day rider ticket on the Sheffield Supertram then I'm afraid I simply cannot go.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey y'all, weird question. Did anyone here get me some Penny Arcade merch as a gift? There was a package for me from PA on top of the mailboxes in my building that must have been delivered over the weekend but I didn't see til this morning. I had to catch a bus in like, 1 minute, so I didn't have time to take it back up to my place, but the mail area is generally very safe as it's inside the building and you need a key or a code to get in so I figured it would be fine til I got home from work. But when I did the package was gone. I'm checking with neighbors to see if anyone grabbed it by accident, but in the meantime I don't think I have any way to track or claim for it since I didn't order anything and don't have the info. There aren't many people who know my address and would associate me with PA, and I'm not signed up for Saints or Satans or have a wishlist posted. It's a mystery!

Anyway PM me I guess

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    One of your neighbors is going to prison! How exciting!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    a mystery

the greatest gift of all

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Hey y'all, weird question. Did anyone here get me some Penny Arcade merch as a gift? There was a package for me from PA on top of the mailboxes in my building that must have been delivered over the weekend but I didn't see til this morning. I had to catch a bus in like, 1 minute, so I didn't have time to take it back up to my place, but the mail area is generally very safe as it's inside the building and you need a key or a code to get in so I figured it would be fine til I got home from work. But when I did the package was gone. I'm checking with neighbors to see if anyone grabbed it by accident, but in the meantime I don't think I have any way to track or claim for it since I didn't order anything and don't have the info. There aren't many people who know my address and would associate me with PA, and I'm not signed up for Saints or Satans or have a wishlist posted. It's a mystery!

Anyway PM me I guess

It was supposed to explode glitter!
    I did not send it

Xaquin on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Met someone who I really liked, and for a while I thought there was a possibility and we were talking pretty much every day and climbing together.

Recently I started realizing that our conversations were one sided. Even though she would initiate them, it's always about her, and if I after she get's out whatever she wanted to say she doesn't really seem involved in the conversation.

Also I'm annoyed that she literally doesn't ask anything about me, or how things are.

So I'm trying to detach gracefully...but then I'll get a text from her, and I'm sucked back in.

Ugh.

One sided relationships aren't fair. I'm glad you've recognized it as such. I hope you manage to extract yourself from it, or work it into a more balanced relationship, in time.

This discussion has been closed.