Options

What Kind of [Podcast] Do You Like?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think this same stuff comes up literally any time anyone brings up Monopoly.

Which makes me wonder why people are bringing up Monopoly. None of us like it, we all know none of us like it, what's the point?

Sometimes its fun to shit-talk a bad thing on which there is essentially total concensus

Its nice to blow off some steam at a thing that unequivocally bad

I dunno, replaying the same complaints that were made last month and a few months before that and a few months before that etc etc doesn't really feel like catharsis to me

i love memes desu

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    when I was in college I tried hacking together monopoly, risk, and poker into a game know as "tycoon"

the tagline for it was "are you the tycoon???"

you would play a hand of texas hold 'em with your monopoly money after every round of monop, then use your earnings to fund new armies in risk. the different areas of monopoly also synced up with continents for some style of bonuses, it... it didn't make a ton of sense. but neither does the world, motherfucker!!

I got people to play one game but my favorite part was repeating "are YOU the tycoon???" to my roommates for several weeks, so you might as well say that's how you play tycoon

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I think this same stuff comes up literally any time anyone brings up Monopoly.

Which makes me wonder why people are bringing up Monopoly. None of us like it, we all know none of us like it, what's the point?

Sometimes its fun to shit-talk a bad thing on which there is essentially total concensus

Its nice to blow off some steam at a thing that unequivocally bad

I dunno, replaying the same complaints that were made last month and a few months before that and a few months before that etc etc doesn't really feel like catharsis to me

I mean, thats fine, you certainly don't have to participate

But other people's catharsis doesn't really feel like something that needs to be called out!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Therapy Podcasts Where the Host is Pretty Fucked Up
    I’m mostly aware but my board game friends are basically Twilight Imperium (or of that scale) or bust. And I hosted one time and at hour 6 I looked like the god damn crypt keeper.

One night ultimate werewolf was fun tho

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    when I was in college I tried hacking together monopoly, risk, and poker into a game know as "tycoon"

you would play a hand of texas hold 'em with your monopoly money after every round of monop, then use your earnings to fund new armies in risk. the different areas of monopoly also synced up with continents for some style of bonuses, it... it didn't make a ton of sense. but neither does the world, motherfucker!!

I got people to play one game but my favorite part was repeating "are YOU the tycoon???" to my roommates for several weeks, so you might as well say that's how you play tycoon

Mitch I love this

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    Theodore Floosevelt I like the font choice for your Simben Monopoly edition

jokerman for a jokerman!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    when are they making a board game version of nanaca crash

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)

This owns

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Actually where is my Heroquest set. That’s my shit right there

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I’m mostly aware but my board game friends are basically Twilight Imperium (or of that scale) or bust. And I hosted one time and at hour 6 I looked like the god damn crypt keeper.

That's a bummer, those types of games are fun every once and a while but multi hour board games really aren't something I wanna play all the time

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    Going to a dedicated board game store these days is like a diner menu syndrome experience for me

Just so many fucking options

I usually just buy them as presents for people or wait until people buy one for me, so as to save myself the labor of picking between twenty new indie games

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I went to my local board game cafe this week. There was a group there playing monopoly. You pay $5/person to access their library. It is a very good library with hundreds of games. And they pick Monopoly. Just baffling to me.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    I went to my local board game cafe this week. There was a group there playing monopoly. You pay $5/person to access their library. It is a very good library with hundreds of games. And they pick Monopoly. Just baffling to me.

doesn't sound like a good library to me!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

That's a bummer, those types of games are fun every once and a while but multi hour board games really aren't something I wanna play all the time

And they are quite a lot more technical minded about games than I am. And with Twilight Imperium especially have studied the rules to a rather exhaustive degree. So I show up my twice a year playing ass and no I don’t hold a candle.

So I end up making up some stupid objective in my head as opposed to the one the cards give me and end up causing havoc. It’s a whole thing

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018

That place is good.

We should round up some forumers there someday and play some board games.

rhylith on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

Are you still playing that game today because that literally sounds like the longest thing of all time.

sig.gif
  • Options

And they are quite a lot more technical minded about games than I am. And with Twilight Imperium especially have studied the rules to a rather exhaustive degree. So I show up my twice a year playing ass and no I don’t hold a candle.

So I end up making up some stupid objective in my head as opposed to the one the cards give me and end up causing havoc. It’s a whole thing

Force them to play sheriff of naughtingham, talk in your Alan Rickman voice the entire time

Its what they deserve

• Options
    LIBRARIES are FREE

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

I had a friend who worked in a board game store and he told me they had to always have a stack of Monopoly on stock because every single day somebody went in there to buy a Monopoly and they just kept them in the back and everybody there hated it

basically if you run a board game place you have to have Monopoly because somebody's always gonna want Monopoly

sig.gif
  • Options
    I am actually banned from using my Alan Rickman voice after last years Christmas party.

Alan Rickman’s notes to God on how to improve creation was not a hit

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    well yeah the most well-known game always sells well even if the game itself isn't very good

like pokemon

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I usually find with really long games that I run out of patience for learning how to do things well before you reach the end of the rules you need to play the game. I wanna just get in and play some stuff!

I think 20 minutes to an hour is my ideal length for a game. That way I don't have to feel like I wasted my entire day on a single game where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's happening.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »

I had a friend who worked in a board game store and he told me they had to always have a stack of Monopoly on stock because every single day somebody went in there to buy a Monopoly and they just kept them in the back and everybody there hated it

basically if you run a board game place you have to have Monopoly because somebody's always gonna want Monopoly

Yeah I used to hang in hobby shops a lot and I remember the owners resenting that they had to carry Checkers or whatever because people who walked by just assumed they'd' have all the classics

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Mitch I love this

i cherish my memories of it, but have to keep them at arm's length so as to not start thinking its sisyphean nonsense is "y'know, maybe a good idea actually" again

Are you still playing that game today because that literally sounds like the longest thing of all time.

i got people to play the game--i did not get people to finish the game

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

I usually find with really long games that I run out of patience for learning how to do things well before you reach the end of the rules you need to play the game. I wanna just get in and play some stuff!

I think 20 minutes to an hour is my ideal length for a game. That way I don't have to feel like I wasted my entire day on a single game where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's happening.

Yeah I think I generally agree.

Even Betrayal, a game I absolutely love, is right up against the edge of taking too long, especially if the final haunt ends up being a garbage one.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Yeah I used to hang in hobby shops a lot and I remember the owners resenting that they had to carry Checkers or whatever because people who walked by just assumed they'd' have all the classics

that seems like an odd thing to be upset about

a sale's a sale

• Options

The other thing thats a real problem with games of this length is that very few of them are designed to keep it close the entire time

One of my favorite games takes about 90 minutes but the biggest problem with it is that one of the four players always knows they're going to lose like, 30 minutes in, which is a serious design issue

Also, REALLY long games, like 4 hours or whatever, leave me personally really meloncholy if I lose at the end, so I tend to not love those most of the time

• Options

i absolutely love devoting huge swaths of time to board games and their many rules when I'm able, even though i regularly feel like shit afterward for devoting such a huge swath of time to a board game

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Yeah I think I generally agree.

Even Betrayal, a game I absolutely love, is right up against the edge of taking too long, especially if the final haunt ends up being a garbage one.

I genuinely think that with Betrayal it's best to introduce new players to the game with a prepared haunt. Make sure that someone who already knows the game will be doing all the complicated stuff, so the new players don't have to worry about learning as much.

Once you're familiar with the game, you can deal with the uneven nature of the haunts better

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

that seems like an odd thing to be upset about

a sale's a sale

Oh Mike the thing you may not know is that people who own hobby shops are horrific people/nerds and hate that they have to cater to fuckin plebes to stay open

• Options
    my friends keep scheduling board game meetups at 9 PM at night

they do not play many board games at these meetups

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh also if I know I'm losing a game I start really resenting still having to play it. I do not enjoy having to sit idly by while other people succeed at my expense. I get enough of that in my actual life, thank you.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Have there been any spicy hot Monopoly takes that attempt to fix the game?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    my friends keep scheduling board game meetups at 9 PM at night

they do not play many board games at these meetups

This seems very silly. Last weekend we started at 10 AM which was actually quite nice.

• Options
    Oh also if I know I'm losing a game I start really resenting still having to play it. I do not enjoy having to sit idly by while other people succeed at my expense. I get enough of that in my actual life, thank you.

i don't often wind up here myself, but seeing it happen to other players is the biggest way to take the wind out of my sails for a victory. it sucks when the game design drags people listlessly along toward the finish line!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    One benefit of most of my local friends having kids now, is that when we do have hangout days they start in the morning and end late afternoon or early evening, around the time I'm ready to not be around people anymore.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

It wouldn't fix the game but you could use amiibos as tokens for a dash of whimsy

sig.gif
  • Options
    DrDinosaur wrote: »

someone's not the tycoon!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    If you want to play a game about capitalism I recommend Acquire. It's a game about stock trading and if you're good at keeping track of what shit people have, provides ample opportunities to screw your friends over

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    My general rule to keep myself out of assorted fine messes is to say that I won’t play any board game that takes over twenty minutes to set up

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.