As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Kind of [Podcast] Do You Like?

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    when I was in college I tried hacking together monopoly, risk, and poker into a game know as "tycoon"

the tagline for it was "are you the tycoon???"

you would play a hand of texas hold 'em with your monopoly money after every round of monop, then use your earnings to fund new armies in risk. the different areas of monopoly also synced up with continents for some style of bonuses, it... it didn't make a ton of sense. but neither does the world, motherfucker!!

I got people to play one game but my favorite part was repeating "are YOU the tycoon???" to my roommates for several weeks, so you might as well say that's how you play tycoon

I had a friend who tried hacking together Stratego and Risk once

As in, every time you got into a fight in Risk, you had to play an entire game of Stratego to resolve it

I don't believe a game of it was ever finished

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    sprints into the room

huff huff huff

monopoly is a boring game!!!! I said it!!!!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I’m mostly aware but my board game friends are basically Twilight Imperium (or of that scale) or bust. And I hosted one time and at hour 6 I looked like the god damn crypt keeper.

One night ultimate werewolf was fun tho

That's a bummer, those types of games are fun every once and a while but multi hour board games really aren't something I wanna play all the time

And they are quite a lot more technical minded about games than I am. And with Twilight Imperium especially have studied the rules to a rather exhaustive degree. So I show up my twice a year playing ass and no I don’t hold a candle.

So I end up making up some stupid objective in my head as opposed to the one the cards give me and end up causing havoc. It’s a whole thing

I usually find with really long games that I run out of patience for learning how to do things well before you reach the end of the rules you need to play the game. I wanna just get in and play some stuff!

I think 20 minutes to an hour is my ideal length for a game. That way I don't have to feel like I wasted my entire day on a single game where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's happening.

I, personally, devote 100% of my time to things where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's going on. For example, I'm reading all of this thread, and I don't know shit about board games.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    when I was in college I tried hacking together monopoly, risk, and poker into a game know as "tycoon"

you would play a hand of texas hold 'em with your monopoly money after every round of monop, then use your earnings to fund new armies in risk. the different areas of monopoly also synced up with continents for some style of bonuses, it... it didn't make a ton of sense. but neither does the world, motherfucker!!

I got people to play one game but my favorite part was repeating "are YOU the tycoon???" to my roommates for several weeks, so you might as well say that's how you play tycoon

As in, every time you got into a fight in Risk, you had to play an entire game of Stratego to resolve it

I wanted to do this with Star Wars Armada going into X-Wing whenever squadrons would fight

It would probably take 78 hours to play

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    I’m mostly aware but my board game friends are basically Twilight Imperium (or of that scale) or bust. And I hosted one time and at hour 6 I looked like the god damn crypt keeper.

That's a bummer, those types of games are fun every once and a while but multi hour board games really aren't something I wanna play all the time

And they are quite a lot more technical minded about games than I am. And with Twilight Imperium especially have studied the rules to a rather exhaustive degree. So I show up my twice a year playing ass and no I don’t hold a candle.

So I end up making up some stupid objective in my head as opposed to the one the cards give me and end up causing havoc. It’s a whole thing

I usually find with really long games that I run out of patience for learning how to do things well before you reach the end of the rules you need to play the game. I wanna just get in and play some stuff!

I think 20 minutes to an hour is my ideal length for a game. That way I don't have to feel like I wasted my entire day on a single game where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's happening.

I, personally, devote 100% of my time to things where I barely do anything because I understand roughly half of what's going on. For example, I'm reading all of this thread, and I don't know shit about board games.

Imagine a table, only it's fun!

sig.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)

I want my games to be an escape from my normal life, is the thing

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters

i love the idea of things like this so much that it hurts to think about it practically

edit: I wonder if the legacy model couldn't inch this closer to practicality--remove the expectation of finishing the risk game in a game, like the single risk game is the entire campaign? and each session is several games of stratego (probably throw some monopoly in there too, maybe some poker)

Theodore Floosevelt on
    f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I played Star Wars Armada once and it took like 6 hours.

• Options
    Mitch have I ever told you about my dumb idea for a video game? It starts out as a basically game of civilization but once you fully found your civ, it goes into a Sim-City-esque game where you actually build and manage the city. Then when crises hit the city you scale in further and go into an adventure game where you actually have to run around saving people and fixing things.

Then you scale back out to expand your empire and whenever you go into combat it becomes a full-on tactical combat game.

I came up with it one day while mowing and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to complete

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My general rule to keep myself out of assorted fine messes is to say that I won’t play any board game that takes over twenty minutes to set up

Good news for you - through extensive practice, I've streamlined my packaging of Eldritch Horror so that the set up will only take fifteen minutes!

• Options
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    Mitch have I ever told you about my dumb idea for a video game? It starts out as a basically game of civilization but once you fully found your civ, it goes into a Sim-City-esque game where you actually build and manage the city. Then when crises hit the city you scale in further and go into an adventure game where you actually have to run around saving people and fixing things.

Then you scale back out to expand your empire and whenever you go into combat it becomes a full-on tactical combat game.

I came up with it one day while mowing and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to complete

That's reverse Spore. You invented the opposite of Spore.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

That's reverse Spore. You invented the opposite of Spore.

And Spore was terrible so clearly this will be great

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

i love the idea of things like this so much that it hurts to think about it practically

edit: I wonder if the legacy model couldn't inch this closer to practicality--remove the expectation of finishing the risk game in a game, like the single risk game is the entire campaign? and each session is several games of stratego (probably throw some monopoly in there too, maybe some poker)

Yeah, this was all pre-legacy, and I think that the legacy model of games could absolutely make this sort of thing work

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

the dream! it hurts!!! (clutching my chest and butt rn)

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    listening to this Punch Up The Jam and I imported Brooms Gride for the dreamcast

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    God I'm glad we live in an era where Panic! At the Disco can be as derided as it always deserved to be

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Everyone I know loves Panic! At The Disco all over again right now

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I always wanted to combine Star Wars Armada, X-Wing Miniatures, and the RPG into one big thing

It would be unplayable and I have no idea how I would represent like, the scale, but my god, what a beautiful dream

• Options
    God I'm glad we live in an era where Panic! At the Disco can be as derided as it always deserved to be

That exclamation mark fucks me up everytime I read their name

don't put a jumpscare in your band name!

sig.gif
  • Options

Bummer, man

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Bummer, man

Eh, they're fine? I've never been into them personally but they're still better than most other instances of Other People's Music.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I looooove board games but kids + a longass commute means I hardly ever get to play them

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Therapy Podcasts Where the Host is Pretty Fucked Up
    The humor in my disinterest in board games is that I also had a giant Orc Warhammer army.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I am aware of Panic at the Disco but I do not know that I have the slightest idea what they sound like

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I am aware of Panic at the Disco but I do not know that I have the slightest idea what they sound like

A Mall Haircut

• Options

Based on the name I’m imagining lots of screaming?

• Options
    They're that early 2000s emo/pop punk blend. Like Paramore or MCR or Fall Out Boy.

• Options

A Mall Haircut

This just raises further questions!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

A Mall Haircut

This just raises further questions!

They sound like this picture

wj3ezd0g43pm.jpg

• Options
    Johnny Depp?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Johnny Depp?

Look, Panic At The Disco may not be the greatest band, but I love them, and they definitely don't deserve to be compared to Johnny Depp

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Don't you make that face at me

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    A fever you can't sweat out is an absolute mess of an album that I like a whole lot.

I wouldnt put it in the same genre as Paramore, MCR or fallout boy though. And I'm not sure I'd put any of those in the same genre as each other either.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Johnny Depp?

You know what?

Yeah.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    Johnny Depp?

Look, Panic At The Disco may not be the greatest band, but I love them, and they definitely don't deserve to be compared to Johnny Depp

Then they shouldn't wear such awful hats.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Don't you make that face at me

1a898ycyk8ke.jpg

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »
    A fever you can't sweat out is an absolute mess of an album that I like a whole lot.

I wouldnt put it in the same genre as Paramore, MCR or fallout boy though. And I'm not sure I'd put any of those in the same genre as each other either.

Nah they all mesh together, it was a good example for me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I'd like to announce the formation of my band Panic! At The Sisquo, we just play the Thong Song over and over again

• Options
    I'd like to announce the breakup of Mori's band, Panic! At The Sisquo, due to creative differences

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    It turns out that just telling people to Let Me See That Thoooooooong is somehow offensive??

This discussion has been closed.