As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Rocket is probably in Wakanda playing with their tech. He will reappear in a mech suit built from parts of Hulkbuster and Panther tech and Winter Soldiers gun

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Ant Man 2 is worth watching just for the chilling second end credit stinger.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I mean yeah but the chase fight is just *chef kiss* perfection.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    That ant does have some chilling chops.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Then dont come in until you see it? It's on Netflix right now?

No it's not. Trust me, I'm waiting for it. I haven't seen it either.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Legacy wrote: »
    Then dont come in until you see it? It's on Netflix right now?

No it's not. Trust me, I'm waiting for it. I haven't seen it either.

Oh, whoops, my bad. I could swear that's where I rewatched it recently, but I am mistaken!

Well, IW comes to Netflix in a couple weeks, so it shouldn't be too long before AMatW shows up...

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Rocket is probably in Wakanda playing with their tech. He will reappear in a mech suit built from parts of Hulkbuster and Panther tech and Winter Soldiers gun
    The gun was dusted, though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The gun was dusted, though

His arm got dusted but he dropped the gun and it did not.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    You know, they never adequately explained why Scott was chosen to be the new Ant-Man outide of them just needing someone expendable. They basically confirmed that Endgame is going to involve time travel and Scott so I'm calling it now. Endgame is going to find Scott crossing paths with a young Hank Pym, setting up Ant-Man 1.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I hate time travel

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I, on the other hand, fuckin' love time travel, so I can't wait.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I hate time travel

That's not what you said tomorrow

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I, on the other hand, fuckin' love time travel, so I can't wait.

Time travel is core to the Marvel comics. It's a bigger deal in the X-franchise, where characters go back and forth to the future like it was the mall, but it has always been a major feature of the comics.

And one of the consistent things that the MCU has done is find a way of bringing all the big Marvel story beats onto the screen.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    IDK, depends on the scope. If they, as I suspect, use time travel mostly to just give them another swing at Thanos without too much Doctor Who silliness then ok.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    You know, they never adequately explained why Scott was chosen to be the new Ant-Man outide of them just needing someone expendable. They basically confirmed that Endgame is going to involve time travel and Scott so I'm calling it now. Endgame is going to find Scott crossing paths with a young Hank Pym, setting up Ant-Man 1.

Yeah, why would Hank Pym pick out a

1. Smart/Tech savvy
    2. Cat Burglar
    3. Who did something at great personal cost to himself because it was a moral good (exposing some big bank fraud)
    4. Was Recently released from prison and had very few prospects

Yeah, i can't see why Hank Pym would have chosen him as a replacement Ant-Man. Very few of those traits line up to what he was looking for. /sarcasm

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    IDK, depends on the scope. If they, as I suspect, use time travel mostly to just give them another swing at Thanos without too much Doctor Who silliness then ok.

I actually expect them to go big with it, using it both as a plot device and an overall celebration/endcap to the MCU so far.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The problem with time travel is that once you start using it (outside of very niche ways like in Dr. Strange), the question becomes "why aren't you using it now" and "why didn't you fix 'X' and 'Y' and a slew of other stuff.

It's also boring. There's no tension or suspense when you have infinite lives and a do over switch.

edit: like when Dr. Strange says you have one chance to get this right

NOPE! You have infinite chances now!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have faith it'll at least have a token nod as to why it isn't omnipresent.

Maybe it's incredibly taxing, or comes at a substantial cost of one sort or another.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    The problem with time travel is that once you start using it (outside of very niche ways like in Dr. Strange), the question becomes "why aren't you using it now" and "why didn't you fix 'X' and 'Y' and a slew of other stuff.

It's also boring. There's no tension or suspense when you have infinite lives and a do over switch.

edit: like when Dr. Strange says you have one chance to get this right

NOPE! You have infinite chances now!

Avengers 4 but it's just a remake of Primer with Marvel characters.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Interweaving ten years of films would be an impossible task. I’m hoping they revisit some of the great characters that have died and explain away little continuity errors like Nat’s message in AoU vs Ragnarok

I just want this to be a culmination and celebration of ten years and twenty films but also be one of the greatest action films ever made.

So, you know, no pressure.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the trailer. It showed more than I expected they would at this stage (with them having just released a Captain Marvel trailer on Tuesday), but still left plenty to the imagination.

• Options

That's where you introduce Kang (or Apocalypse, Cable, Bishop and Nimrod if you are folding in the X-stuff) and show that using time travel just opens up a whole different bag of problems. It's never been used a cure all in the comics, because they are good at immediately spinning it into a cautionary tale about unforeseen consequences.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Time travel is fun if done right.

Looking at Back to the Future, Chrono Trigger, Terminator, Deadpool 2, and X-Men: Days of Future Past. You can do interesting things with it, like Groundhog Day, Edge of Tomorrow, Majora's Mask, and Dr Strange. Or just straight have fun with it like Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, Austin Powers, and Futurama.

Not all time travel stories are good of course, but like every trope, it isn't the trope that makes it bad, but how you use it.

One argument that I find annoying is pointing out that time travel is either impossible or pointing out obvious, but minor inconsistencies that would lead to a paradox, which is just another way of saying time travel is impossible. But like, then there's no story cause the Fun Police doesn't like fun.

You can do that with anything though. Game of Thrones and Harry Potter? Sorry, not only time travel in the story, but also magic and dragons. And so on.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It's also somewhat related to the comics story that introduced The Black Order in the first place. That was Thanos invading Earth because Earth's heroes had abused time travel so much that they broke the universe.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Another tiny bit of Internet Picking Apart The Trailer that I will now indulge in;
    Nat: "This is going to work, Steve."
    Rogers: "I know it is, because I don't know what I'm going to do if it doesn't."

My initial read on that was one of sorrow, of admitting that he'd be completely lost if 'this' fails to work, whatever that might be.

But one further examination (and another dozen views of the trailer), I like that it could also read as 'I'm afraid of what I might do or become'. I imagine many people even read it that way initially, but it took a while to sink in for me, that it might not be fear of failure, but fear of what failure might lead him to consider or do next. Recognition that desperation will drive people to do horrific things.

That angle, which it may or may not be depending on context, has ties to Thanos (who survived the all-but-extinction of his people/planet) and the baseline notion that shows up in many comics and stories in general, about those who fight monsters becoming monsters themselves. In one variation or another, that Nietzsche quote gets a lot of work.

20 weeks and counting....

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Octavian wrote: »

Yeah, why would Hank Pym pick out a

1. Smart/Tech savvy
    2. Cat Burglar
    3. Who did something at great personal cost to himself because it was a moral good (exposing some big bank fraud)
    4. Was Recently released from prison and had very few prospects

Yeah, i can't see why Hank Pym would have chosen him as a replacement Ant-Man. Very few of those traits line up to what he was looking for. /sarcasm

There isn't any real reason to be this douchey about such a trivial matter.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I wonder what Wong is up to, assuming he didn't get snapped

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Lunch.

• Options

Presumably holding down the Sanctum Sanctorum. It'd be great if he got to show up (if not a part in the movie), but if he's overlooked while they focus on other elements, in my head he's doing what he said he was going to do in Infinity War; act as the guard that needs to be there, fending off whatever calamities he and Strange would normally, and intentionally or coincidentally buying time for... whatever happens in Endgame to play out.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I also want a full-on homage to the What If comics.

While I would love it if they show some of the timelines that Strange looked at on Titan, what I want most is for them to re-create the circle pan from Avengers 1 but have them cycle through a dozen different versions of the team. Abomination, Deadpool, Ant-Man, Wolverine, Captain Marvel, War Machine, Super Skrull, just 50 years of fan service in a 30 second shot.

• Options
    He definitely found a timeline where Deadpool ends up with the gauntlet and decided that doesn't count as a winning scenario.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    oh so we get a trailer for the next spiderman tomorrow.
    tis the season

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Man, Hawkeye looks perfectly positioned for a potential Thunderbolts movie, especially when/if we have Deadpool back.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Man, Hawkeye looks perfectly positioned for a potential Thunderbolts movie, especially when/if we have Deadpool back.

I'll be surprised if he survives the cast cut-down that's probably following this.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I'll be surprised if he survives the cast cut-down that's probably following this.

If any of the originals do TBH. A decade is a long time to play the same character.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Scott wasn’t ever chosen. He stole the suit and was competent enough that Hank decided to use him.

• Options
    Some or all of the old guard sacrificing themselves to save the newer members would be plenty heroic to capstone an incredibly successful journey over a decade later.

I won't be surprised if there are cameos here and there (scenes set in the past, holograms, LMDs, there are a million ways for the setting to have even long dead people show up), but I won't at all fault them for wanting to step back and do other things either, even if it requires turning down dumptrucks full of cash.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

If any of the originals do TBH. A decade is a long time to play the same character.

Well, we know ScarJo does (since she has her own movie)

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Presumably holding down the Sanctum Sanctorum. It'd be great if he got to show up (if not a part in the movie), but if he's overlooked while they focus on other elements, in my head he's doing what he said he was going to do in Infinity War; act as the guard that needs to be there, fending off whatever calamities he and Strange would normally, and intentionally or coincidentally buying time for... whatever happens in Endgame to play out.

It’d be nice if Wong showed up. I like comically serious characters.

But ya, what was said in the Strange movie; there’s more than just physical threats in the multi-universe and the Sanctums are what protects Earth from magical attacks. I’m not sure if all of were rebuilt, though I assume at least the New York Sanctum was, but someone has to guard them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.