As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miss Universe National Costumes: The Cosplay of Nations 2018 (NSF56K)

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ha ha, when I saw Myanmar I thought she was supposed to be a drum or a cymbal or something. Nope, she represents skin care.

HyAIXOz.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Huh I really should watch more of those outfits explained videos

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Namibia represents the diamond industry. Ok then.

fiHoGPF.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OMG YES NEPAL is the goddess Avalokitesvara. All the arms.

bH8DG8V.jpg

• Options
    The Netherland's boat hat is actually way cooler than it appears in this picture, IMO.

d4tzZYa.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Very disappointed in NZ's. It looked cheap and boring.
    uV28mme.jpg

Especially after last year's.

While I agree the costume design is pretty boring, I can't agree that it looks cheap. The way that fabric moves - even the way it looks in this still - very much says "costly" to me.

0X1qbCT.jpg

Explanation of the dress: "Inspired by the New Zealand landscape, and mother earth, Papatūānuku, who gave birth to all things and nourishes them, according to Maori myth.
    And the national flower the kowhai tree. These yellow flowers can be found all across New Zealand, Kowhai trees are even given to people as gifts from the New Zealand government when they obtain New Zealand citizenship, so that they have a piece of their new home."

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Nicaragua. "Based on the lyrics of the poem by a Nicaraguan poet, Anna Gomez.
    Represents peace and hope for the country." I'm really just confused by the loop coming out from under her dress.

91hMhnL.jpg

• Options
    Damn, poor Nigeria. Now THIS looks cheap.

EU8TIgP.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Nambia's diamond inspired costume is better than Angola's diamond inspired costume. Angola's costume is cooler, but the "diamonds" are literally just spots of paint on her skin.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Miss Norway looked so sad walking down the catwalk in this. A sort of defeated, "this is my life now" aura.

Edit: Oh shit SHE DESIGNED IT HERSELF. Now I feel even more bad for her.

mDhm7eD.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh Panama is interesting in the description. This year's Miss Panama is the first ever indigenous Miss Panama.

It's apparently based in folk lore but they aren't really clear what that folklore is:

“Zarati, the Renaissance of 2 Legends.” Designed and made by Abdul Juliao @abdulhabid. A costume designed to be the tears and hair of Zara.

EmvsdrU.jpg

Is Zara a goddess or something else? Who knows, I guess!

Edit: Oh wait, Miss Panama explained in her Instagram
    Before the conquest of America by the Spaniards there were native peoples led by strong men called the Caciques. In turn led by beautiful maidens and daughters of these brave warriors, who took care of them as they took care of their lands and nature around them.

The lands that today belong to the province of Cocle, one of the most important caciques of the coclesanas lands.
    A woman of stunning beauty and intelligence lived there with transparent and pure waterfalls and rivers that bathed the lands of his father.

Zara was the name of that woman who, being the daughter of the cacique, was named a princess. This title made her possessor of an aren of beautiful ladies and, in addition, was presented handsome gentlemen of other caciques.

But, the heart of Zara belonged to Chigoré a brave native, whose strength was envied in the neighboring lands. As the leader of his people he possessed certain gifts including the strength and nobility of his soul, gifts that fell in love with Zara.
    Legend has it that every afternoon with the sunset of the sun, the sound of the wind and the song of the birds Zara and Chigore embarked on a raft to live their idyll of love, surrounded by nature as their only witness of love.
    One afternoon the maid Zara returned to the region, after having met her lover, and saw that a flock of white beings with metal skin and iron claws mounted on horses, set fire to the huts of their people and insulted their damsels, spreading pain and death on all sides.
    Zara as the daughter of a cacique went to defend her people from the metal skins, but in the midst of her anger she remembered the promise of love she made to her beloved Chigore; Stunned by fear Zara ran to the highest part of the mountains where the river was born, already at the peak wrapped in the golden gold of the sun's rays and covered by the tears of its people, she threw herself into the void, turning her hair into the waterfalls and their tears in the waters of the RIO ZARATÍ, which in the indigenous language means "El Rio de Zara.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Capcom is missing a huge opportunity by not doing a Monster Hunter x Miss Universe collab, because these would look friggin' great in that game.

• Options
    Paraguay is a fuckin' LED tree

rb9w6ar.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well someone did a mermaid transforming
    ca686jn5oot5.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msNxQku8xOI

Peru, eh? It's a little more interesting of an outfit than I though ti was when she first walked out.

kM9gyri.jpg
    jobGLpw.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    The Philippines is a decked out player in a fps doing a post kill taunt.

7NAmG9B.jpg

having the costume rolling round on casters behind you seems like cheating somehow

I agree this is cheating! Especially after India carried a 100 pound chair on her back!

Though in actually seeing the piece walk, I think the casters are more because they made the piece too delicate, not that the contestant couldn't carry it herself.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Poland is pretty cool in a hippy-dippy boho sort of way. She's supposed to be a water nymph.

F4xLVfJ.jpg
    jtKN9G6.jpg

• Options
    Portugal's dress had a small transformation - the "boat" portion used to be higher up, but then she let down the nets and it went to her feet. Better than another flower I guess.

Q6FlYhA.jpg

• Options
    HOLY FUCK WHY HAS NO ONE MENTIONED THE ABSOLUTE MADNESS OF PUERTO RICO YET.

ssZG02U.jpg

IS SHE DRESSED AS A STEVEN UNIVERSE EPISODE?

• Options
    Russia pays her respects to Lebanon and Mongolia, and is sure she's found a way to get that bitch She-Ra once and for all.

Km3wpuK.jpg

• Options
    Saint Lucia wanted to get married but her dress got all muddy somehow.

u73qfcD.jpg

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Puerto Rico is dressed as the hurricane that destroyed their country and killed thousands of people.
    Representing the winds of hurricane Maria

(Unless the news site I used was incorrect)

Here's another site's description:
    It symbolizes Puerto Rico rising up out of the ocean after the hurricane Maria disaster that crippled the island, and props to Kiara who was seen screwing this monstrous piece together backstage. The enormous helping hands symbolize those who helped Puerto Rico in their time of need.

Whew, that's more reasonable.

• Options
    Peas wrote: »
    If you want to see a very cringey costume from my country check out Singapore's at 1:28:46
    np_20181129_mus290731_4448576.jpg?itok=QmomA5cd
    Somebody kill me now

This dress was actually kind of OK until she opened it for the hideous skirt mural.

AHr1mlc.png
    MrncsZp.png
    2IFjWfN.png

• Options
    This is at minimum the third time they've made Slovak Republic wear this dress.

N27aMZ0.jpg

• Options
    South Africa is dressed as their national bird, the Blue Crane. A pretty cute take on an over-used idea.

Lz7AyIp.jpg

• Options
    Puerto Rico is dressed as the hurricane that destroyed their country and killed thousands of people.
    Representing the winds of hurricane Maria

(Unless the news site I used was incorrect)

Here's another site's description:
    It symbolizes Puerto Rico rising up out of the ocean after the hurricane Maria disaster that crippled the island, and props to Kiara who was seen screwing this monstrous piece together backstage. The enormous helping hands symbolize those who helped Puerto Rico in their time of need.

Whew, that's more reasonable.

Yeah yeah, it's helping hands and the Puerto Rican spirit and all that. It's still going to be the Diamond Authority trying to destroy Steven Universe in my head canon.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Spain wore a flamenco dress. Very pretty, too much so for this runway.

enaXrvz.jpg

Also, way too many of the dresses this year included the descriptor, "white represents purity!" Did Richard Spencer write the script?

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Sri Lanka represents parades and women's empowerment.

QQO9xvs.jpg

• Options
    Sweden wore a boring dress, but I adore that headpiece.

5Zs5kfL.jpg

• Options
    Switzerland's costume represents snow and ice cream and NOT, thank God, white purity.

RnazryF.jpg

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    White clothes have represented purity and honesty in the West since at least the Romans. (Hence, Candidate)

• Options
    Thailand did pretty well! First time I've seen an elephant on this catwalk, that's for sure.

XL4K3xI.jpg
    nVNME6s.jpg

• Options
    Turkey, pretty dress, yawn.

x8PJG6E.jpg

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    White clothes have represented purity and honesty in the West since at least the Romans. (Hence, Candidate)

I know the symbolism of white clothes. It's still creepy to keep talking about purity every other contestant. What kind of purity, exactly? I can't think of any standard "purity" when applied to a human being that isn't creepy.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Ukraine is pretty cool, they're made to look like traditional Ukrainian embellishment.

QsCMfuD.jpg

Edit: lol anouncers mentioning purity again.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Uruguay is said to be wearing a dress inspired by the Salvadore Dali painting "The Meditative Rose"

jbHJgHX.jpg

Du1cJ2S.jpg

Hmm, kinda neat but I feel like the rose should have been in the center rather than on her shoulder.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    USA came as the national flower, which I am now learning is the rose. Yawn. Uruguay's rose was better.

JEWs9iv.jpg

Edit: The skirt comes off.

p9WfDjP.png

Cambiata on
  • Options
    US Virgin Islands pledges aid to She-Ra during this multi-pronged assault against her.

PDOTCfs.jpg

• Options
    Just once I want someone wearing red have the announcer say, "the red represents the pleasures of being a slut."

• Options
    Venezuela is dressed as a nature goddess. This photo is really great because it makes her eyes look gold, and I don't know if they're really gold, if she's wearing contacts, or if it's just a trick of the light.

TJuSJ6A.jpg

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    This is an intense thread to click on at 3 am.