As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Gritty [NHL] Thread - The Blues Kinda Forgot They Were Dead Last in January...

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I feel like I have to balance this out by saying that yeah he's had some monumental Fuck ups. Most notably when he was there to crush the hopes and dreams of Canucks fans by forgetting how to play goalie.

In 2006/7 season, did the Canucks crush the hopes and dreams of luongos .941 playoff save%?

(I just really like luongo)

Marc-andre Fleury has made the playoffs 12 times, and in half of those playoffs he has had a sub .900 save percentage, but everyone still loves that guy.

Good Canadian Boy syndrome.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Fair point. It's always a good time to hate the Canucks.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Isn't Fleury short? I thought that was why people liked him. Maybe he's scrappy too?

Hey look, every player has their Randy Moss moments. That still looked like a relatively routine save, coming from that far away. Even if the "shot" originated off of black pants. (and because it's the internet, let me point out I'm not being completely serious. I know crazy things happen.)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That's Theo that's short. He was 5'6". MAF is 6'2".

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Was it offside? Because officials are historically in play.

Unless it goes in directly off them apparently

Edit:

Okay, Deadspin put it much more eloquently than I did
    The goal was eventually disallowed, as NHL rules do not allow for a puck to be banked off a referee’s wang.

Deadspin researches the matter so you don't have to:
    As reported by The Athletic’s Jeremy Rutherford, at a November meeting of GMs, the NHL showed film of the incorrect ruling and reminded each team of how rule 78.5(iii) is interpreted: A goal off a referee should be disallowed if it hits only a goalie, but not a skater. “Directly,” here, disregards the goalie, because it’d be entirely illogical and unfair to penalize a netminder for trying to make a stop on a puck, no matter whose dick and balls it’s just ricocheted off.

And all was right with the world. Except for perhaps with Tim Peel’s Timbits.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Isn't Fleury short? I thought that was why people liked him. Maybe he's scrappy too?

Hey look, every player has their Randy Moss moments. That still looked like a relatively routine save, coming from that far away. Even if the "shot" originated off of black pants. (and because it's the internet, let me point out I'm not being completely serious. I know crazy things happen.)

He is a really nice guy and he always gives the media guys their quotes for the papers, and that goes a looooong way in the NHL

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Also he’s got a top 5 smile in the league

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Outside of Vancouver, I think Canadians generally like Luongo.

He did not start for Canada in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

But he sure as shit FINISHED IT.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Repeatedly dream-crushing Vancouver and Luongo was the funnest part of the Blackhawks' run, outside of the actual Cups.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Repeatedly dream-crushing Vancouver and Luongo was the funnest part of the Blackhawks' run, outside of the actual Cups.

there was a big controversy in Vancouver a couple weeks ago when the new in-arena DJ played Chelsea Dagger, completely unaware of the emotional scars tied to that song

• Options
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

there was a big controversy in Vancouver a couple weeks ago when the new in-arena DJ played Chelsea Dagger, completely unaware of the emotional scars tied to that song

Not playing that song has got to be literally the only job requirement

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hell of a game! Though Tampa only shot like 20 all game compared to Toronto’s 48.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Hell of a game! Though Tampa only shot like 20 all game compared to Toronto’s 48.

First non penguins game I watched this year.

I would watch more of that

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    This is legit one of the best saves I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTcEQbpd9I

Dude did this in his first game back since he broke his foot.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    The announcers kept talking about how he was gonna beat his record for saves cause he was at 45 saves with like, 8min left.

Dunno if the leafs felt dejected or is the bolts started trying to play defense again or what.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Vasilevskiy is real good

• Options
    Vasi keeps us in more games with his saves than we should win.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

That's the great thing about a hot goalie! They make teams look good.

A mediocre team can ride a hot goalie all the way to the finals. If they're lucky, all the way to the cup.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

That's the great thing about a hot goalie! They make teams look good.

A mediocre team can ride a hot goalie all the way to the finals. If they're lucky, all the way to the cup.

but enough about the rangers

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The Pens are still sinking, and seemingly tossing good players as unneeded ballast.

Sprong was pretty bad every (very small) chance the penguins gave him. And that pettersson kid just played 11+min at even strength with 0 shots against by the Islanders last game.

Might have been a good trade for both sides

Okay I take this back.

Sprong is the better player in the deal for sure

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Last night Ho Sang got called for hooking and during the delayed penalty got called for another hooking for a 4 minute minor.

Which is something I don't think I've ever seen before.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Man, hockey has the best terminology.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Last night Ho Sang got called for hooking and during the delayed penalty got called for another hooking for a 4 minute minor.

Which is something I don't think I've ever seen before.

McKenzie Weegar did something similar against Toronto on Saturday, called for cross checking, did it again during the delayed penalty to make it 4.

Then he angrily swung his stick at the entrance to the penalty box on his way in and almost hit a linesman in the head, earning him a 10-minute misconduct for abusing an official.

All told, not his proudest moment.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    LD50 wrote: »

It used to be a real category of penalties called double minors! Worse than a minor but not quite a major penalty!

• Options

It used to be a real category of penalties called double minors! Worse than a minor but not quite a major penalty!

Double minors are still a thing if you draw blood, no?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Holy shit what a bunch of fights have already happened in the Tampa vs Vancouver game. I’m not sure how to read that hit Martel did but at first glance it looked bad to me. Some bad stuff done by both teams. And one period left to go!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

Double minors are still a thing if you draw blood, no?

Oh

oh yeah

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Friendly reminder that the world junior hockey championship games begin tonight (pre tournament).

Games are in Victoria and Vancouver this year.

Should be great hockey!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Tom Wilson beat up Penny Oleksiak’s brother because of hockey reasons. Fun sport

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Looks like the other guy started it, so ...

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Looks like the other guy started it, so ...

'was the first guy to throw his gloves on the ice the victim? I say yes'

Edit: as I am just now watching the game, Mike milbury just fucking said that Wilson should've gotten the instigator since he skated from the bench directly at oleksiak and threw his gloves on the ground first. Fucking milbury thinks it was instigating. And he fucking hates the pens. Or maybe it was Keith Jones, but they are still the same person so it doesn't matter, really.

Edit2: those 'fuckings' are directed at milbury/Jones not you. God I hate them, even when they are right

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    I know it’s not within the writen rules, but I’m not gonna give an instigator when Oleksiak was daring him to fight in the press

• Options
    Milbury shouldn't have a job.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I know it’s not within the writen rules, but I’m not gonna give an instigator when Oleksiak was daring him to fight in the press

Just watching the clip, Oleksiak was down to fight. Wilson dropped the gloves first, but Oleksiak immediately dropped his gloves as well. If Oleksiak was taunting Wilson in the press out of the game, then they should both getting fighting penalties and that's the end of it.

EDIT: Given the nature of what happened, I find it tough to call Oleksiak a 'victim'. If you wanna fight somebody and get your ass beat, you're not a victim. As soon as Oleksiak dropped, Wilson was out. That was as mutual a fight as there can be, despite how one sided it was.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Well, no, not really

The GM said, last season in the playoffs, before Wilson got suspended for targeting zach-ashton Reese with a jumping headshot, that he thought Wilson was running away from oleksiak. Jamie didn't say anything, and no one said anything before this game that I'm aware of.

But, like, Jamie had less than 10 seconds of ice time and the game was less than a minute old before Wilson, the far side winger saw oleksiak skating back into the play and Wilson, while his team had the puck, skated across the ice directly at Jamie and threw his gloves down.

Fighting in hockey is already dumb and telegraphed fights less than a minute into a game are dumb and Tom Wilson is dumb, but also Jamie did drop his gloves which was also dumb. But just last week the league said they're not going to protect their players from Wilson so you better be ready to do it yourself.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    check you’re facts idiot

Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.