As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Shadowcat is on sale and worthwhile

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Shadowcat is on sale and worthwhile

It's also such a versatile mech. It can go ECM (SHC-B, Left torso) and do anything from laser sniper to ATM hunter to SRM splatcat to machinegun dakka build.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Crap, just looked and yeah have to second the Shadowcat as a nice mech with low profile that can do a bunch of stuff.

Oh and if you love missiles, you can't go wrong with the Jenner IIc (6 missile slots). Or the Arctic Cheetah for 6 MG, ECM, and 2 Energy. Or the traditional 6 SPL or 6CERSL. That mech is awesome as well.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    @Betsuni It took alot of willpower not to turn around and give you the big gun once you got in that furball on Polar, LOL

But early game I spent alot of time facing backwards from the line watching for a Flea sneak attack. (And I was useless until the brawl anyway)

Redspo0n on
    "Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    Wait. Which were you in Polar? Only reason I was running my flea is for the event. Of course after that I ran my Wolfhound for more damage.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I never actually saw what you were driving - I only saw you had squirelled like 3 or 4 of our guys WAY back off the line and they slowly dissappeared.

It made me paranoid for my rear armor.

Edit - derp, I was piloting my Splatneck in Oosik colored crusader

Redspo0n on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Urbie K9 is the most OP Light in the game. Agility of a Light, firepower of a Medium, armor of a Heavy.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Unfortunately I can't take credit for the squirrel hunters deaths. I came up on your team's rear guard of a Catapult and Blood Asp. Which soon became a mini furball of a 4th (which I never locked) and an Urbanmech. Sadly I killed myself by overusing my MASC. But I at least got your team distracted enough for my team to grow a pair.

Edit: K9 also has the cool, fun lights to play with. Also room to run a RAC5 on it with ML backups.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't take credit for the squirrel hunters deaths. I came up on your team's rear guard of a Catapult and Blood Asp. Which soon became a mini furball of a 4th (which I never locked) and an Urbanmech. Sadly I killed myself by overusing my MASC. But I at least got your team distracted enough for my team to grow a pair.

Edit: K9 also has the cool, fun lights to play with. Also room to run a RAC5 on it with ML backups.

Oh they totally made a push, but it was too late. And they push straight into me, a linebacker, and a King crab. They'd crest the ridge and instantly lose a side, of not worse.

You guys had a mailer at the end that actually made me come to him... But he didn't recognise my RGH for hammer it is.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Thanks folks, grabbed the RGH-2A because I saw a heavy gauss build that just tickles me in the right places.

Trying to decide on which base for the Shadow Cat, may just go with the B so I can start off with missile shenanigans.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I run the shadowcat as a 3xSSRM6 2xERSML Masc ECM hunter killer. Fast enough to hunt down lights but more armor.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I just found the "daily" challenges in MWO. Yay stuff!
    I suppose I should probably actually get myself an actual paid-for mech, mostly for the 30% cbill bonus- two weeks of playtime, spending nothing except buying skill points from XP (saving my GXP), and I couldn't afford adding Artemis and swapping the MPL for SPL on my Mad Dog. I've probably free-loaded long enough anyways, and I can pretend it will help fund VR in MW5!

monkeykins on
  • Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    I just found the "daily" challenges in MWO. Yay stuff!
    I suppose I should probably actually get myself an actual paid-for mech, mostly for the 30% cbill bonus- two weeks of playtime, spending nothing except buying skill points from XP (saving my GXP), and I couldn't afford adding Artemis and swapping the MPL for SPL on my Mad Dog. I've probably free-loaded long enough anyways, and I can pretend it will help fund VR in MW5!

If you could wait, I recommend only doing a pre-order mech to get more free cbills and other crud that they give with them. Or the MC deals where you get a bunch more MC to buy a Hero mech. Also, unless you really like the mech, need the better ones, and can afford it, to only buy the base pack for the mechs.

Otherwise I say make sure you get the 27th event daily challenge done to get the free hero mechs, tons of MC and Cbills all for https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/12/2182-holiday-bonus-2018

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So Career mode!

It's turning out all the Flashpoints that are actually my difficulty level are all in Capellan space. I've thoroughly pissed off the Capellans, so the only people offering contracts as I meander towards these flashpoints are Pirates. Pirates who pay very, very well.

Long story short, I've taken several 5/30 or 4/21 salvage contracts with Pirates, finishing off 2 Quickdraws, another Jagermech, a Grasshopper and more I'm probably forgetting about. They've even offered me an alliance! I mean, I'm not gonna take it, but I'm flattered.

I'm absolutely hated by the Capellans though. So much so I can't access the stores or hiring halls on their worlds. I can't even access the black markets. Which sucks because I'd love to live exclusively off my pirate contracts while thieving my way through Capellan space.

Speaking of thieving, I stole and SLDF Griffin off one of those Capellan flashpoints. Because I mean, why not at this point?

• Options
    Aaaannnndddd, after looking at the Warhammer bundles, it would cost $35 to get a mech with a cbill bonus?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Aaaannnndddd, after looking at the Warhammer bundles, it would cost $35 to get a mech with a cbill bonus?

Or just play a match on the 27th to be given two mechs with cbill bonuses.

EDIT - bonus: one of them is a Warhammer IIC

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I've got a reminder set on my phone! Honestly, I wish they had just charged something like $20 for the game as-is, then $1-$5 for new mechs. I'd probably drop $30+ on THAT, but as it stands I'm not willing to pay $35 for 4 variants of one mech. It just feels exploitative to me.

Sorry if this has been beaten to death years ago- I'm new to it and F2P in general!

monkeykins on
  • Options
    Don't buy off sale in mid December. There's a good chance there'll be a big sale here before long.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I've got a reminder set on my phone! Honestly, I wish they had just charged something like $20 for the game as-is, then $1-$5 for new mechs. I'd probably drop $30+ on THAT, but as it stands I'm not willing to pay $35 for 4 variants of one mech. It just feels exploitative to me.

Sorry if this has been beaten to death years ago- I'm new to it and F2P in general!

Oh...and it looks like you could spend $35 to get 4 variants (including hero)...or you could spend only $29 to get just the one mech you want (the hero Warhammer)!

MC cost of Warhammer Black Widow = 5150
    To get enough MC to buy that, you'd have to get the 3000MC pack ($14.95) + two 1250MC packs ($6.95 each) = $28.85

Alternatively: You can pick up $30 worth of MC (6500MC), get the Warhammer and a Pirate's Bane.

If you go the MC route, I'd suggest holding off for an MC sale as Betsuni suggested.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    last friday the flash point I did decided to just give me an awesome, that was awfully nice of them considering my biggest mech prior to that was an orion, everything else was mediums. I'm enjoying the flashpoint stuff.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    In general in this game full price is a rip off and sale price is a good deal

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Probably doesn't help either that the mechs I am familiar with and want are probably the most popular and thus the most expensive and least likely to go on sale.

• Options
    Probably doesn't help either that the mechs I am familiar with and want are probably the most popular and thus the most expensive and least likely to go on sale.

Eeeeeh not really, they're pretty fair and generous with sales. Piranha is a key mech in the meta and is on sale right now. Only stuff that doesn't usually go on sale is stuff that just came out in the last month or two.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Not necessarily, some popular mechs are part of the current sale, and the last one was massive.

• Options
    Like all things considered MWO is pretty reasonable in terms of F2P, even if their real money prices can be a bit high.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Nah, it is ok. Long ago they used to sell mech levels instead of the mech packs which made them a bit easier to buy some mechs. But those they put the Cbill bonus mechs behind the pre-order wall.

I recommend waiting till a MC sale for $$$ (only if you plan on playing for a year or so). Buy the $20 one and wait till they have a mech sale for MC. Then use that MC for a hero mech.

Or the alternative is to buy a light pack for $25 (base pack and hero mech) for a cheaper hero mech.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    last friday the flash point I did decided to just give me an awesome, that was awfully nice of them considering my biggest mech prior to that was an orion, everything else was mediums. I'm enjoying the flashpoint stuff.

I had a Flashpoint that started with an Assassination mission on a Stalker!

And then no pieces of Stalker showed up as salvage options. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Final Talley:
    PIR-1
    CRB-27B
    SHC-B
    HBK-IIC-A
    RGH-2A

I think the RGH will be the cheapest to outfit, followed by the HBK (maybe the PIR).

Problem is, I’m very hesitant to outfit a mech right now as I’m wondering if an expanded sale is coming and there are a few more chassis that I want.

• Options
    I didjt know the +1 HSL on the HBK2C, thats nice

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »

I had similar screwjob happen on a different flashpoint
    Had a choice to go after a lostech mech with pulse lasers and double heatsinks vs one with a gauss rifle. I decided the DHS's would be more valuable in general since you can only usefully put a gauss on a handful of mechs. When I see the mech, I know I made the right choice because it's packed with pulse lasers and a bunch of DHS's. I sacrifice a lot of damage to pick apart this lostech mech's legs to preserve as many salvage components as possible. Get to the salvage screen and no mech parts and no lostech gear. Get to the bonus salvage screen and it gives me just one DHS and one pulse laser for my trouble.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

I had similar screwjob happen on a different flashpoint
    Had a choice to go after a lostech mech with pulse lasers and double heatsinks vs one with a gauss rifle. I decided the DHS's would be more valuable in general since you can only usefully put a gauss on a handful of mechs. When I see the mech, I know I made the right choice because it's packed with pulse lasers and a bunch of DHS's. I sacrifice a lot of damage to pick apart this lostech mech's legs to preserve as many salvage components as possible. Get to the salvage screen and no mech parts and no lostech gear. Get to the bonus salvage screen and it gives me just one DHS and one pulse laser for my trouble.

Never bet against dakka

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of dakka...picked up another Fafnir-5 for the nickel and dime build. Just trying to figure out the optimal engine size because most of the people's builds posted online REALLY neuter the armor and that's kinda stupid to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That seems like a tough build on that chassis compared to other options.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean, it's workable with a 280 and the Magazine Rack nodes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »

Its just kind of this slow ponderous mech so I'd imagine it would have some difficulty brawling w/ nickle and dime. You have the UACs in the torsos right?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Do they still run the 2x5, 2x10 in the Kodiak 3?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »

Its just kind of this slow ponderous mech so I'd imagine it would have some difficulty brawling w/ nickle and dime. You have the UACs in the torsos right?

Yup. I average 700dmg with the quad-UAC5 loadout on my other FNR-5.
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Do they still run the 2x5, 2x10 in the Kodiak 3?

Yup. Though it's never received the mobility buffs and every other Kodiak has. It's still kinda ponderous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fitting since the launch of it was a nightmare. Imagine 4UAC10s with no negatives.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I pre-ordered the KDK as a personal favorite - and have since sold them all. I *should* have waited to see if they were gonna to balance out eventually, but I think I'm just not meant to pilot assault.

On another track - I just melted the heart out of a Hatamoto unassisted, then died without dealing damage to any other mech... and had 450 damage done. I assume he spread some, obviously, but damn.

edit: Speaking of - if I were to try assault again, which Chassis should I snag while they're on sale?

Redspo0n on
  • Options
    I kept all of mine just because I live the look of the mech. Haven't taken them out in a long time though.

I personally say a Ultraviolet Dire Wolf for LBX madness.

oosik_betsuni.png