Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Isabelle is so much fun. I'm terrible with her, but I live for all the people who don't respect the rod and get hooked to their death while I'm falling off-stage.

Watching Isabelle pocket stuff will never not be hilarious to me. PK Thunder? I'll take that, no recovery for you. Zelda's magic armor? I can fit the whole thing in there.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Huh, the Koopalings use the magic wands in place of the hammer with their Up B? Is that a new thing in Smush?

Yes. I played a decent amount of Ludwig when fucking around with a former friend when Smash 4 came out, and they used a hammer in that like Bowser Jr.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Isabelle is so much fun. I'm terrible with her, but I live for all the people who don't respect the rod and get hooked to their death while I'm falling off-stage.

Watching Isabelle pocket stuff will never not be hilarious to me. PK Thunder? I'll take that, no recovery for you. Zelda's magic armor? I can fit the whole thing in there.

It's just as fun watching Wario eat pretty much anything thrown at him. Gordo's being tossed at you? Don't worry, they are not a match for Wario's iron stomach.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm a decent player but holy crap I cannot deal with Simon/Richter. Even the bad ones shit on me.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I feel like I'm a decent player but holy crap I cannot deal with Simon/Richter. Even the bad ones shit on me.

If whoever you're playing has any ability to gimp at all, it's pretty viable to cheese their poor recovery. Doesn't really matter if you take a million damage coming in if you can get one good grab into a fair or two, especially since they're always playing by the edge of the stage.

But they are also massively annoying even if they often leave me wondering "wow, they actually died there?"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Gordos getting batted around like they’re nothing in Smash is always gonna confuse me. In the Kirby games, they’re invincible and can’t be killed or moved by Kirby. It’s like seeing someone kill a Mettaur while he’s hiding in his helmet, by punching the helmet.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

If whoever you're playing has any ability to gimp at all, it's pretty viable to cheese their poor recovery. Doesn't really matter if you take a million damage coming in if you can get one good grab into a fair or two, especially since they're always playing by the edge of the stage.

But they are also massively annoying even if they often leave me wondering "wow, they actually died there?"

I'm mostly playing Lucina right now, since I'm close (so close!) to getting into Elite smash and even though it's silly it's nice to have goals, yknow.

But yeah, it's like, I have to jump and dodge around to close the gap and then I still get outranged by the whip??

And the ftilt and aerial whips both have decent kill potential.

IDK. Anyone on here play those chars and wanna do endless 1v1s until I learn the matchup?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    GSP sucks because it leads every player to bail after one loss.

I got my ass beat by a Falcon, and tanked my rating. Beat him in the last two games so I did learn something.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »

I got my ass beat by a Falcon, and tanked my rating. Beat him in the last two games so I did learn something.

Yeah I wish Smash would just copy what everyone else does and have split ranked/unranked modes.

I don't need to have the game telling me how bad I am all the time with Dedede, thanks.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I got all the way down to like 300k GSP on Isabelle when I started playing her 1v1 no items, especially after losing to a Cloud like 10 times before I beat him and then he promptly didn't rematch. But I'm back up to like 1mil+ now. Does it even really do anything? I've had a fight with someone at like 2m+ GSP while I was at like 800k so it's like, what's the point? Even GSP itself is super misleading. Just use percentiles.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular

Y'all ready for the Dragon Quest character announcement?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Jack? Of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8DWMobJp4Q

I think he'd be overpowered, though. He can cancel his own death by punching.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

I’m addicted to the points and I hate it.

I need to spend more time in the discord and just have arenas open

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular

The worst is when you lose the first one, rematch and win, then the other guy bails. Besides that being considered poor form in any fighting game I’ve ever played online, I usually find that the win doesn’t completely offset the loss.

I will hit rematch you forever and even though I don’t expect everybody to do the same, what kind of maniac doesn’t even want to play out a best of 3? It’s so irritating.

I agree that an unranked mode would help, but then again shouldn’t the enormous roster with per-character GSP cut down on the anxiety of that arbitrary number? If you want to screw around and not worry about your number, just pick one of the 70 characters that isn’t your main! It’s fun!

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Whether I go for Bo3 or not online is entirely dependent on how tired I am. If it's late I just don't feel like it.

I also never rematch anyone who set their rules to 2 stocks or 3 minutes

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I pretty much only rematch by accident, so I get to play against a wider variety of characters.

Maybe I should rematch whenever I get good rulesets? Have good games against close matches, learn more against better people, and free GSP against bad people.

Are rulesets chosen per game, or can you rematch and get their terrible rules the second time?

broken image link
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    It's definitely unfortunate that rematching a strong player tends to put your gsp in a pile because it's one of the best ways to improve.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    GSP seems to go up pretty quickly if you win consistently so it's probably not as bad as it feels.

broken image link
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Whether I go for Bo3 or not online is entirely dependent on how tired I am. If it's late I just don't feel like it.

I also never rematch anyone who set their rules to 2 stocks or 3 minutes

That I can understand, and I’ll definitely skip the rematch if it’s a bad rule set. At this point people have to know what the most popular or accepted standard rules are though, because the majority of my matchups are 3 stocks with a workable time limit.

If I get rules I’m cool with, the only time I’ll bail is if the matches are completely one sided. Whether it’s me who’s completely outclassed by my opponent or the other way around, those fights aren’t helping anybody and are zero fun to play.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i know jack is supposed to be joker but in my heart i want it to be Poncho Raiden

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm terrible so I just ignore GSP entirely. I'll rematch constantly as long as the connection is good and the matches aren't too hideously one sided.

I probably won't ever make it into elite smash though.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Public arenas are a pretty good way at getting fights that don’t impact GSP if no one else is around.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

I mean that's obviously Brave fencer Musashi but whatever.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Bought this the other day but haven't played it yet (I'm DETERMINED to finish Guacamelee 2 before getting distracted). My intention is to largely play with my daughter (she's 5, we've been playing Nidhogg 2 so I'm thinking this is similar enough for her to enjoy) and then through the World of Light on my own.

Will that end up unlocking most of the characters eventually or is there anything in particular I need to do?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I was telling my wife how they’ve said all DLC will be 3rd party characters and she offhandedly suggested “They should do a Sanrio character, like Aggretsuko”

And now I can’t stop thinking about how awesome that character would be.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I was telling my wife how they’ve said all DLC will be 3rd party characters and she offhandedly suggested “They should do a Sanrio character, like Aggretsuko”

She's about the only Sanrio character they might allow.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Isabelle is already practically one, but i'd love aggretsuko haha.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Kinda surprised they abandoned the tactic of naming in-development characters "Mario (number)," as they did after the Ryu leak.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I figured a Dragon Quest character would be coming. Bleh, never been big into the series, so that doesn't excite me.

I just hope that the rumor that Steve from Minecraft is false...but this datamine just might have confirmed the 'leak' that also had Steve on it. double blech!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Provided that the word “Brave” even refers to what people are assuming. An assumption based on a previous rumor.

I mean if “jack” refers to Joker, it might not even be the word “Brave” to begin with.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I figured a Dragon Quest character would be coming. Bleh, never been big into the series, so that doesn't excite me.

I just hope that the rumor that Steve from Minecraft is false...but this datamine just might have confirmed the 'leak' that also had Steve on it. double blech!

Nah, this datamine solidly disproves that "leak," since it was claiming Steve data was already in there. This just has the three characters.

Not to say this proves Steve isn't happening, of course.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

She'd be great for a karaoke death metal final smash alone.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »

She'd be great for a karaoke death metal final smash alone.

We missed the opportunity for a metal final smash with Diddy, so we need someone to pick up the reins.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Nah, this datamine solidly disproves that "leak," since it was claiming Steve data was already in there. This just has the three characters.

They said Steve was removed for some Minecraft dlc thing but that makes no sense. They couldn't just cut him out if he was an already completed character and I seriously doubt he was tossed in the planning stages because that was way before the switch was proven to be a success or announced publicly. I doubt Microsoft would have thought of it as a promontional opportunity back then.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Is there going to be a tournament tomorrow, or did I miss some posts about it not happening?

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    So this is my tier list.38qyn8i5png4.jpeg

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

They said Steve was removed for some Minecraft dlc thing but that makes no sense. They couldn't just cut him out if he was an already completed character and I seriously doubt he was tossed in the planning stages because that was way before the switch was proven to be a success or announced publicly. I doubt Microsoft would have thought of it as a promontional opportunity back then.

The planning stages don't have to be THAT far back... this is DLC, after all. Though even if it were, Microsoft's been pretty dang permissive with Minecraft as well as playing well with other consoles. They've realized for years they fucked up the One launch and they need to think differently, and I doubt they'd immediately slam the door on Steve in Smash even if they didn't think the Switch wouldn't sell well. Though keep in mind real excitement built around the Switch well before launch that felt different than the pre-Wii U reaction.

Plus Nintendo's said they've never had an outside company turn down their Smash requests, so there's that.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    For as big as Minecraft is though, I feel like Steve is a pretty underwhelming pick. The demographics between people who play Smash and Minecraft might be there, but think about the people who lost their collective shit when Joker got announced, and that was a niche game, but mostly because no one saw it coming.

To get Minecraft Steve, meh? I'm not hype for it. I don't know many people who would be. It could lead to an interesting moveset, but I don't know where the excitement would be in it?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Having a Creeper as an assist trophy would be neat.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Having a Creeper as an assist trophy would be neat.

Or hell, just make a Creeper the playable character. Now that I think about it Creepers are probably the most iconic thing in Minecraft.

This discussion has been closed.