As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The one thing about that is I liked Gwen being the best at Spidering in the movie, and here she is barely together.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    A solid year of monkey paw wishing and everything goes your way. Come the next year though...

I can’t wait for y’all to suffer my year.

Gus you know we can't possibly suffer your year more than you will.

I’m not even a month in and it is the most Gustav year

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I really liked the first like, 75% or so of the bendis UXM

and then man, I dunno what the end was supposed to be

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    A solid year of monkey paw wishing and everything goes your way. Come the next year though...

I can’t wait for y’all to suffer my year.

Gus you know we can't possibly suffer your year more than you will.

I’m not even a month in and it is the most Gustav year

hahaha shit, man

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular

I feel like his Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier storyline went on too long, and then either he didn’t have a plot afterwards, and/or he had a handful of issues left and didn’t have time to do what he wanted with his plot so it kind of floundered. Same with All-New X-Men.

If I remember correctly his run of UXM also kind of got ducks by Secret Wars, to the point that his last issue didn’t come out until after Secret Wars was over.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I liked Bendis' X-Men for the most part except for his weird fixation on Beast being literally the worst person that had ever lived

The fact that he had THE WATCHER appear and tell Hank McCoy how much he sucks was bonkers

Beast is one of the best X-Men!!!!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Beast is one of the best X-Men but he does also thinks Dr. Jekyll had some good ideas so there are some balancing factors on that

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Beast is one of the best X-Men but he does also thinks Dr. Jekyll had some good ideas so there are some balancing factors on that
    Oh yeah I am fine with Hank having more than a little mad scientist in there

But not 50 issues of HANK MCCOY, THIS IS YOUR LIFE: IT SUCKS AND YOU SUCK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean this is at the same time that Beast was a part of the Illuminati blowing up whole dimensions, and breaking time and space to bring children back from the past to teach Cylcops a lesson so he has some faults. Also heavily judging Cyclops for a black ops organization he helped him run.

Like Beast is probably one of my top favorite X-Mem, but he can be a hypocritical jerk sometimes.

• Options
    never die wrote: »
    I mean this is at the same time that Beast was a part of the Illuminati blowing up whole dimensions, and breaking time and space to bring children back from the past to teach Cylcops a lesson so he has some faults. Also heavily judging Cyclops for a black ops organization he helped him run.

Like Beast is probably one of my top favorite X-Mem, but he can be a hypocritical jerk sometimes.
    I am not denying that

I am just saying that Bendis went way too hard on it

He had The Watcher, an entity whose purpose is to observe and not interact with humans and only break that in times of extreme need, show up just to tell Hank McCoy he is a little trash man.

Plus just how much of the run was Hank fucking things up and people shitting on him in general. I don't think the Illuminati stuff even really came up.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular

I feel like his Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier storyline went on too long, and then either he didn’t have a plot afterwards, and/or he had a handful of issues left and didn’t have time to do what he wanted with his plot so it kind of floundered. Same with All-New X-Men.

If I remember correctly his run of UXM also kind of got ducks by Secret Wars, to the point that his last issue didn’t come out until after Secret Wars was over.

I mean I'm sure this came up when writing the thing but the last will and testament arc drags on unnecessarily and the last issue where cyclops meets up with havok seems like it had some kind of follow-up coming, and then there just wasn't. I dunno if there was an issue or another mini that got cut for time, or if bendis just didn't have an ending (certainly the #600 leaves you with that impression.)

I also think that the young x-men suck and should've gone home after like 25 issues with everyone learning a Very Important Lesson, but I assume having them stick around was a higher editorial decision

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I am not denying that

He had The Watcher, an entity whose purpose is to observe and not interact with humans and only break that in times of extreme need, show up just to tell Hank McCoy he is a little trash man.

Plus just how much of the run was Hank fucking things up and people shitting on him in general. I don't think the Illuminati stuff even really came up.

I mean, is it better or worse than the entire line of comics trying to go all in on how Cyclops sucks?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Cyclops even had an entire cartoon series devoted to how terrible he is

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh yeah, the last issue of my last Marvel comics subscription arrived last week, and the cover had torn off of the comic, so hell of a way to go out, Marvel.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

I mean I'm sure this came up when writing the thing but the last will and testament arc drags on unnecessarily and the last issue where cyclops meets up with havok seems like it had some kind of follow-up coming, and then there just wasn't. I dunno if there was an issue or another mini that got cut for time, or if bendis just didn't have an ending (certainly the #600 leaves you with that impression.)

I also think that the young x-men suck and should've gone home after like 25 issues with everyone learning a Very Important Lesson, but I assume having them stick around was a higher editorial decision

Yeah I think they other should have pulled them out early, like you said, or never gotten rid of them. They chose the worst of both worlds, by giving them six years to hang around, build up plots, change dramatically, then delegates all that character growth and through them back in time.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Secret Wars was, IMO, kind of when the whole NOW thing fell apart.

Marvel was great, then that was mostly a mess, and then post that? It was just all a mess.

It's a real shame too because honestly with all the building up they'd done they'd actually earned a linewide event that wouldn't have felt like shoehorned in crap and they messed it up.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I think Secret Wars itself was great but with hindsight the complete takeover of literally every Marvel comic for like 6-8 months was completely goddamn unnecessary

Back when they were lying through their teeth about saying HEY WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT PEOPLE LIKE FROM THIS AND WILL INCORPORATE IT I thought it was neat

But in the end it was all very clearly planned ahead of time

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There are a couple things I think they did notice did well and continued. Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, for instance, became an ongoing series for quite a while and I think is a big factor in Marvel finally allowing Peter Parker and Mary Jane to date again. X-Men '92 also apparently did well enough that it got its own ongoing series for a while.

A-Force and Weirdworld are a couple I'm not sure if they were planning ahead of time or if those concepts were just popular enough that they carried over.

• Options
    I am 100% sure A-Force was planned ahead of time. They announced the initial SW run on the dang View, there was no way it was just going to be for the event.

And Weirdworld might have been something they pivoted with but the post-SW launch was basically nothing like the Aaron mini that ruled so they fucked that up real bad.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    x-men 92 was weird for me because i wanted to like it, but the creative team was absolutely not anyone i'd ever want to read something by

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I am not denying that

I mean, is it better or worse than the entire line of comics trying to go all in on how Cyclops sucks?

It bums me out to see what went on with Cyclops and Beast during that time. Particularly Beast with all the dumping upon he got. Hell, he gets shot in the back by Storm in IvX just because he doesn't wanna butt heads with the Inhumans and this is after he told the team about both the time-clock with the Mists and Medusa's plan.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Cyclops’ character assassination becomes more and more terrible the more I find out about Malcolm X and general resistance to unjust government works. Cyke is completely justified in everything he does as far as I remember.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Cyclops’ character assassination becomes more and more terrible the more I find out about Malcolm X and general resistance to unjust government works. Cyke is completely justified in everything he does as far as I remember.

Cyclops' complaint is that the Avengers and government will always turn on mutants at a moment's notice. So didn't he look stupid when the Inhumans unleashed a cloud deadly to mutants and both the government and Avengers went into overdrive to... protect the cloud. And also called Cyclops "Hitler" for destroying part of it successfully. Ha ha, what a wrong idiot he was!

• Options

Cyclops' complaint is that the Avengers and government will always turn on mutants at a moment's notice. So didn't he look stupid when the Inhumans unleashed a cloud deadly to mutants and both the government and Avengers went into overdrive to... protect the cloud. And also called Cyclops "Hitler" for destroying part of it successfully. Ha ha, what a wrong idiot he was!

It blows my mind that both Death of X and IvX were written by the same team, and the plots are brought together from books the respective authors were running. And they are both good writers! But for some reason this storyline makes no sense to put them on equal footing. Inhumans unleash a cloud of terrigen mists that start killing mutants. They immediately rush to defend the cloud when it is pointed out the obvious thing of we should get rid of it. This causes the death of Cyclops (in the world's eyes) after he destroys one of them. The Inhumans and X-Men make a tentative alliance, and start rescuing people from the cloud and placing them in a hell dimension. Many of them have already been infected by the disease. There are mutant camps throughout the world taking care of the sick, who are dying everyday. Medusa essentially takes this as a better solution than getting rid of the other cloud, even when it is revealed that it is saturating the planet and quickly making all of earth uninhabitable to Mutants. And Beast's cure fails. At this point, taking the logical conclusion that the Inhumans won't care, (and Beast hears as much from Medusa), the X-Men try to destroy the cloud by attacking the Inhumans to lock them down. The younger Inhumans and the younger X-Men decide to make the decision Cyclops did all along, and destroy the cloud together. Medusa sweeps in at the end and gets to claim that she would never allow one mutant life to live over the cloud. It's such self-contradictory bullshit that it made me heavily dislike Medusa, as she gets to claim complete innocence to the horrifying situation she created. And it's all forgotten because Emma Frost goes crazy.

But yeah, the whole tenor of Cyclops in the past fifteen years or so makes perfect sense for him to eventually go "fuck it" and stop doing the same song and dance, and instead take a more radical approach. Which, ya know, his radical approach is to stop police from killing and abusing mutant children, fighting sentinels sent to attack mutants (and mutant supporters), forcing secret Sentinel programs that SHIELD is building into the light, and even in the not very good Last Will and Testament storyline Cyclops manages to talk down Matthew Malloy and maybe get him to start to control his powers before SHIELD comes and INDISCRIMINATELY BLOWS UP THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOUNTAIN, so I don't know how radical his approach is compared to the X-Men.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Cyclops is great and it's a shame every piece of media outside the comics makes him out to be boring leader guy.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Cyclops is my favorite X-Man

• Options
    1) Nightcrawler
    2) Beast
    3) Kitty Pryde
    4) Multiple Man
    5) Wolverine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    1. Quentin Quire
    2. Cyclops

Quire.jpg
  • Options

It blows my mind that both Death of X and IvX were written by the same team, and the plots are brought together from books the respective authors were running. And they are both good writers! But for some reason this storyline makes no sense to put them on equal footing. Inhumans unleash a cloud of terrigen mists that start killing mutants. They immediately rush to defend the cloud when it is pointed out the obvious thing of we should get rid of it. This causes the death of Cyclops (in the world's eyes) after he destroys one of them. The Inhumans and X-Men make a tentative alliance, and start rescuing people from the cloud and placing them in a hell dimension. Many of them have already been infected by the disease. There are mutant camps throughout the world taking care of the sick, who are dying everyday. Medusa essentially takes this as a better solution than getting rid of the other cloud, even when it is revealed that it is saturating the planet and quickly making all of earth uninhabitable to Mutants. And Beast's cure fails. At this point, taking the logical conclusion that the Inhumans won't care, (and Beast hears as much from Medusa), the X-Men try to destroy the cloud by attacking the Inhumans to lock them down. The younger Inhumans and the younger X-Men decide to make the decision Cyclops did all along, and destroy the cloud together. Medusa sweeps in at the end and gets to claim that she would never allow one mutant life to live over the cloud. It's such self-contradictory bullshit that it made me heavily dislike Medusa, as she gets to claim complete innocence to the horrifying situation she created. And it's all forgotten because Emma Frost goes crazy.

But yeah, the whole tenor of Cyclops in the past fifteen years or so makes perfect sense for him to eventually go "fuck it" and stop doing the same song and dance, and instead take a more radical approach. Which, ya know, his radical approach is to stop police from killing and abusing mutant children, fighting sentinels sent to attack mutants (and mutant supporters), forcing secret Sentinel programs that SHIELD is building into the light, and even in the not very good Last Will and Testament storyline Cyclops manages to talk down Matthew Malloy and maybe get him to start to control his powers before SHIELD comes and INDISCRIMINATELY BLOWS UP THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOUNTAIN, so I don't know how radical his approach is compared to the X-Men.

What happened between Scott and Emma was exactly in keeping with how bad the rest of the event was.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    1) Nightcrawler
    2) Beast
    3) Kitty Pryde
    4) Multiple Man
    5) Wolverine

1)Cyclops
    2)Colossus
    3)Magneto
    4)Nightcrawler
    5)Goldballs (really Emma Frost, but GOLDBALLS!)

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    The 90s X-Men cartoon essentially guaranteed that an entire generation would be totally unable to take Cyclops seriously

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    These lists are lacking in Doop

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Nightcrawler is just the perfect encapsulation of the core X-Men themes, for me.

He is a devout catholic who looks like the literal devil, but instead of being pissed off or angsty about it he is a cheery, swashbuckling hero who wants to use his gifts to help save anyone he can, however he can.

The fact that his powers are cool as hell, he is extremely suave and he frequently rocks a pair of swords are just a bonus on top.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    And Magneto would be #1 but I don't think he is best as an X-Man, he is better as an antagonistic element.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    1. Kitty Pryde
    2. Magneto
    3. ...

• Options
    I'm pretty okay with calling Nightcrawler the best X-Man

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Nightcrawler is number one with a bullet, it isn't even close

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's Magneto all the way for me.

After all, he was right.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    One of the things I'm most disappointed about with Secret Wars is that they didn't just quietly drop the whole "Mutants are a different species" thing, because I don't think it works thematically.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    One of the things I'm most disappointed about with Secret Wars is that they didn't just quietly drop the whole "Mutants are a different species" thing, because I don't think it works thematically.

I think you could take it a step further and say it torpedoes the entire concept of mutants

This discussion has been closed.