Options

[chat] thread

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Man, I really need to read some of Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman's work.

I just saw the trailer for the Good Omens TV show, thought it had a Pratchett like feel from everything I've heard, checked out the wiki, and immediately realized this is something I'd be interested in.

Yesssssss, Pratchett's a great writer and he gets much better as he goes along

I think Night Watch might still be one of my favourite novels full stop

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Wait Fuck can i get ice t to read made up drug fads?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Wait Fuck can i get ice t to read made up drug fads?

I bet if you wanted sure

he thinks that shit is hilarious based on his tweets

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    wedding invitations are a bit of a weird one

one of my oldest mates went "bois, I need your addresses"

"here it is and I of course have no idea why you need it and when whatever you are sending me arrives I will be completely surprised"

it kind of seems pointless to send an invite, and it doesn't serve as an actual invitation really, but still it would be unthinkable not to get one

Wait, are wedding invitations meant to be a surprise? I just straight up said to my friends "Give me your current address so I can invite you to my wedding, you fucks"

well no, but I am slightly amused by the extra steps taken

since obviously we could just, in that initial communication, invite people there, like you invite people to birthday parties or a pub quiz. But also, obviously you can't do that, one must observe the proper form as befits the event.

My fiance and I are doing emails! Why make it more difficult and expensive to put on an event that's supposed to be fun?

I guess some people find the fanciness fun, but eh

it's a keepsake

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Been expecting this for a while, to be honest. Activision seems in a bad place these days, and it was only so long before they hurt their cash cow.
    reminder that their CFO got a 15 million dollar bonus

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I just saw the trailer for the Good Omens TV show, thought it had a Pratchett like feel from everything I've heard, checked out the wiki, and immediately realized this is something I'd be interested in.

Well... near the end, you can see a decline in the quality of the writing. You know, due to Alzheimer's. :( But there are sections of The Shepherd's Crown (his last novel set in the Discworld universe, although it's technically a Tiffany Aching novel) that are among the most moving and profound that he has ever written.

I've enjoyed the Neil Gaiman that I've read, but it can be quite an acquired taste. The kind of acquired taste that you get when you are crushing on the girl in torn military fatigues and dyed hair and a patch of an angel and devil on her button-festooned backpack who secretly loves Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters.*

But Terry Pratchett is basically required reading. He's one of the best authors to come out of the British Isles, and I think about his books often.

* Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters sounds like a female-led band that would play at Lilith Fair.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Lords and Ladies is easily my favorite version of A Midsummer Nights Dream

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

Been expecting this for a while, to be honest. Activision seems in a bad place these days, and it was only so long before they hurt their cash cow.

What for?

• Options
    neil gaiman and terry pratchett being good friends never fails to bring to mind this clip which broke my heart

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »

What for?

for being CFO i guess

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Are Blizzard hurting? I can't imagine they are just from WOW subs alone, let alone Hearthstone

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    a8v4kdvsc7z7.jpg

• Options
    neil gaiman and terry pratchett being good friends never fails to bring to mind this clip which broke my heart

Gaiman just seems like a genuinely good dude as well, so seeing him sad about missing his friend hurts all the more :(

• Options
    wedding invitations are a bit of a weird one

one of my oldest mates went "bois, I need your addresses"

"here it is and I of course have no idea why you need it and when whatever you are sending me arrives I will be completely surprised"

it kind of seems pointless to send an invite, and it doesn't serve as an actual invitation really, but still it would be unthinkable not to get one

Wait, are wedding invitations meant to be a surprise? I just straight up said to my friends "Give me your current address so I can invite you to my wedding, you fucks"

well no, but I am slightly amused by the extra steps taken

since obviously we could just, in that initial communication, invite people there, like you invite people to birthday parties or a pub quiz. But also, obviously you can't do that, one must observe the proper form as befits the event.

My fiance and I are doing emails! Why make it more difficult and expensive to put on an event that's supposed to be fun?

I guess some people find the fanciness fun, but eh

it's a keepsake

then again, it's really not a huge deal not having it, since it's yet another pricey hassle. There are other keepsakes to look at and fondly remember your friends wedding. A new herpes strain you picked up from somebody's aunt, for example.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    mudu5bem3f9y.jpg
    I thought having an unopened bag would discourage my boss from giving me more gummies. I was mistaken.
    WHY DOES HE KEEP DOING THIS?!

Look at the top right of the packaging. Now you know.

I heard the sugar free ones give you diarrhea.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Are Blizzard hurting? I can't imagine they are just from WOW subs alone, let alone Hearthstone
    cod "only" sold like 7 million copies so their stock tanked

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
    Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
    Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
    The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

HotS Eports failed and the game has a bad ROI is its staff was cut, the game is slowly dying
    Diablo 4 has been through at least 2 iterations now on its 3rd and the bad reception to the mobile game
    WoW put out a really bad xpack that pissed ALOT of people off with no reasonable timeframe for it to get unfucked

No idea about Starcraft, Hearthstone or Overwatch tho

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Abolish Wall Street.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Well... near the end, you can see a decline in the quality of the writing. You know, due to Alzheimer's. :( But there are sections of The Shepherd's Crown (his last novel set in the Discworld universe, although it's technically a Tiffany Aching novel) that are among the most moving and profound that he has ever written.

I've enjoyed the Neil Gaiman that I've read, but it can be quite an acquired taste. The kind of acquired taste that you get when you are crushing on the girl in torn military fatigues and dyed hair and a patch of an angel and devil on her button-festooned backpack who secretly loves Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters.*

But Terry Pratchett is basically required reading. He's one of the best authors to come out of the British Isles, and I think about his books often.

* Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters sounds like a female-led band that would play at Lilith Fair.

Yeah. People complain over his last books and suspect he did not write them.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    What a nice relaxing day tuning PID loops

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

My Blizzard fangirl days are over

RIP

Parkitect fangirl only now

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    don't need the RSVP from me either really because it is understood that I'll flake on whatever else I may have going on that weekend to be at this wedding. My attendance is just a given. Been friends with the man for twenty of my twenty seven years on this earth, I've got nothing more important that weekend, even if I don't remember which weekend it is.

But Abdhy, that weekend is YOUR wedding

easily fixed

I'll just say "bros before hoes" and then I expect my wedding will be quickly postponed indefinitely

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

No, but activision is. And Bobby Kotick needs his 8 houses and 3 yachts.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
    Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
    Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
    Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
    Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
    Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
    The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
    No one ever said elves are nice.
    Elves are bad.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

It's absolutely my favorite quote from him.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

Anything sugar-free gives you loose stool. The body doesn't absorb it.

• Options
    edited February 2019

I don't think there's really any debate that he wrote his last few books? There's definitely a change in writing style, but that's because he was experiencing sharp cognitive decline.

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Abolish Appropriately tax Wall Street to incentive long term investment/growth over quarterly returns.

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options

its not just that

CoD is the only thing they have aside from the Crash and Spyro remasters.

Bungie left and Destiny 2 Forsaken didnt do well in Activisions eyes

Activision proper literally just makes one game yearly now (CoD), and they are publishing Sekiro.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is Stardew Valley multiplayer yet?

• Options

It was also suspected that Agatha Christie suffered from dementia as she neared the end of her life, and people have done statistical analysis of her writing and can track her cognitive decline based on the word count and vocabulary of her novels as she aged.

Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown weren't his best works, but at the same time, could you imagine being in his position? Slowly losing your memory and mind and desperately trying to get out the stories that were in your head before you go, even as you are losing words, the very foundation of your identity as a writer? I imagine a similar feeling when Robert Jordan was diagnosed with cancer and his Wheel of Time series.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I am having some serious shooting carpal tunnel or cramping pain in my (dominant) left hand and I am going crazy

Maybe I should finally hire an underling to take down my dictation

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I don't get it though

If you're a company why not dissolve your divisions that are underperforming

Instead they're like "oh, Team B turns a profit, better can em"

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I want to play Division 2 and Anthem so I can stop playing other gammmmes

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

HotS Eports failed and the game has a bad ROI is its staff was cut, the game is slowly dying
    Diablo 4 has been through at least 2 iterations now on its 3rd and the bad reception to the mobile game
    WoW put out a really bad xpack that pissed ALOT of people off with no reasonable timeframe for it to get unfucked

No idea about Starcraft, Hearthstone or Overwatch tho

The hots esports stuff being cut was because the cfo activision previously sent decided to cut it, they weren't really losing money on it and hots wasn't failing so much as they didn't want to deal with the program itself.

The mobile diablo game was most likely in response to poor sales of CoD and the potential untapped market that acitivision thinks they could move blizzard IP to. Activision has told blizzard to basically move all their development to mobile and get jr staff to upkeep older games.

Pretty much all design decisions in the past few years have been "Activision is putting their hands into the money pot because they want more money." It got to the point where Morhaime left because activision thought the employee profit sharing stuff was cutting too deep into share dividends and didn't like it, but Mike was like "no fuck you, we should treat our employees well" and it was a hugeish rift and one of the big reasons why he stepped down.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m don’t need blizzard anymore I have Xenoblade for all of my needs.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    mudu5bem3f9y.jpg
    I thought having an unopened bag would discourage my boss from giving me more gummies. I was mistaken.
    WHY DOES HE KEEP DOING THIS?!

Look at the top right of the packaging. Now you know.

Sure, if you eat too many... which is kind of the point with gummies.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Anything sugar-free gives you loose stool. The body doesn't absorb it.

*eyes the steak in front of me*

Put a little Olestra on top of it for flavor.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Is Stardew Valley multiplayer yet?

Yes.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

It was also suspected that Agatha Christie suffered from dementia as she neared the end of her life, and people have done statistical analysis of her writing and can track her cognitive decline based on the word count and vocabulary of her novels as she aged.

Raising Steam and The Shepherd's Crown weren't his best works, but at the same time, could you imagine being in his position? Slowly losing your memory and mind and desperately trying to get out the stories that were in your head before you go, even as you are losing words, the very foundation of your identity as a writer? I imagine a similar feeling when Robert Jordan was diagnosed with cancer and his Wheel of Time series.

As a roleplayer / GM who dreams in stories and knows he has some to tell, and also has a family history of dementia and alzheimer's, thank you for articulating my greatest fear of death. :)

(No, seriously, that is such an ungodly terrifying thought for me. I should write more.)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.