As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's the [Anthem], y'all got to play me. Get your gun, suit up!

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Two missions after finishing the tedious Tomb bullshit, there's a mission with a fight that's easily 20 minutes if you happen to be doing the campaign on solo hard as a lot of us are.

Why, BioWare. Why.

This game's going to get a lot of middling or low review scores and I'm not even sure they won't be deserved. It's a truly amazing core gameplay experience with solid writing and everything else about it is just terribly designed :(

I mean... It's designed and balanced for MP. They said it's designed and balanced for MP, and they start you on Normal and suggest you start Hard when your gear is at such and so. Honestly, why ever would you think that Solo + Hard would be a great experience 2 days into the prerelease?

Like I legitimately don't get it. Why would one do this? It is not a thing that would ever occur to me, so I wonder what I'm missing.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    So I put down for a month of Premier. Let's see if Reddit is just overly harsh or Penny-Arcade is too soft :surprised:

Well, I went to that reddit thing, and immediately got dumber. So...

Also, I swear to god, in a game sold with "Your actions change how the fort grows and rebuilds", complaining that it doesn't start out lively and populated is just achingly awful. People are complaining that the can labelled "chili with beans" is full of these awful bean things, what the hell inexcusable, this isn't chicken soup at all! That plus "well, it needs to release with the same amount of content as these other games that have been out for 3 years" just give me such a headache.

Seriously, did you like ME3's MP? Do you like being Iron Man? Do you like some RPG in your Iron Man? You'll be happy. If you wanted "the standard issue BioWare RPG they've been making with different skins for the last N years", you gonna be mad. The combat and gameplay feel great, and there's enough RPG going on to keep it individual/interesting, and there's very very obvious hooks for the future gameplay loop/progression systems. And there's absolutely, positively, completely blissfully no "We banged!" achievement, nor chance for there being one.

I didn't know the game was sold as the fort growing, I must have missed that entirely.

But it is super weird that there's all these people standing around and the town is basically completely silent. Feels like an audio bug.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Every other mission has been a complete cakewalk on solo hard. The mission I'm referring to isn't even difficult, it's just tedious. I should not have to add randos because something is just taking forever while it's still not challenging me. Plus, harder difficulties are more rewarding. If you're easily killing stuff why not go up a difficulty and get better rewards!

Also, is it really not obvious to you why people would rather play solo than get dragged around by randos who may or may not be playing at the pace you want to go? I want to explore and poke at stuff when the urge strikes me, not have to worry about 3 people trying to speedrun plot missions because they're poopsocking.

• Options
    Two missions after finishing the tedious Tomb bullshit, there's a mission with a fight that's easily 20 minutes if you happen to be doing the campaign on solo hard as a lot of us are.

Why, BioWare. Why.

This game's going to get a lot of middling or low review scores and I'm not even sure they won't be deserved. It's a truly amazing core gameplay experience with solid writing and everything else about it is just terribly designed :(

I mean... It's designed and balanced for MP. They said it's designed and balanced for MP, and they start you on Normal and suggest you start Hard when your gear is at such and so. Honestly, why ever would you think that Solo + Hard would be a great experience 2 days into the prerelease?

Like I legitimately don't get it. Why would one do this? It is not a thing that would ever occur to me, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Well apparently if you load in faster than the rest of your team, you get a bunch of dialogue that they don't get. Load in and get attacked immediately? Party might show up after everything is already dead. So Solo is a perfectly reasonable thing to want, aside from just not wanting to deal with other people. I'm not playing solo but I've definitely loaded in before teammates and they've likely missed dialogue.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So I put down for a month of Premier. Let's see if Reddit is just overly harsh or Penny-Arcade is too soft :surprised:

Also, I swear to god, in a game sold with "Your actions change how the fort grows and rebuilds", complaining that it doesn't start out lively and populated is just achingly awful. People are complaining that the can labelled "chili with beans" is full of these awful bean things, what the hell inexcusable, this isn't chicken soup at all! That plus "well, it needs to release with the same amount of content as these other games that have been out for 3 years" just give me such a headache.

Seriously, did you like ME3's MP? Do you like being Iron Man? Do you like some RPG in your Iron Man? You'll be happy. If you wanted "the standard issue BioWare RPG they've been making with different skins for the last N years", you gonna be mad. The combat and gameplay feel great, and there's enough RPG going on to keep it individual/interesting, and there's very very obvious hooks for the future gameplay loop/progression systems. And there's absolutely, positively, completely blissfully no "We banged!" achievement, nor chance for there being one.

I didn't know the game was sold as the fort growing, I must have missed that entirely.

But it is super weird that there's all these people standing around and the town is basically completely silent. Feels like an audio bug.

Huh. You not getting ambient conversations? It's not like, LOUD loud, but there's definitely "stuff" happening on Xbox, anyway. You PC?

Re: Fort, yeah, every piece of literature I've seen has said "your fort will grow and change as your actions shape it", which pretty well implied the "and it starts as a shithole" to me, but then again I just assume every "place the PC develops as a game progresses" starts at "shithole".

Like, I'm about 5-6 hours in, and I've got a couple shops and a statue in, and the market is distinctly more crowded than when I first started. Couple more amplifiers in use, etc etc.

• Options

Huh. You not getting ambient conversations? It's not like, LOUD loud, but there's definitely "stuff" happening on Xbox, anyway. You PC?

Re: Fort, yeah, every piece of literature I've seen has said "your fort will grow and change as your actions shape it", which pretty well implied the "and it starts as a shithole" to me, but then again I just assume every "place the PC develops as a game progresses" starts at "shithole".

Like, I'm about 5-6 hours in, and I've got a couple shops and a statue in, and the market is distinctly more crowded than when I first started. Couple more amplifiers in use, etc etc.

I mean I'm hearing occasional dialogue snippets, but they sound out of place. It's like i'm standing in a shopping mall and can hear someone having a conversation on the other side of a crowded food court. There's no music, there's no ambient chatter, it feels weird and lifeless.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Why, BioWare. Why.

Well apparently if you load in faster than the rest of your team, you get a bunch of dialogue that they don't get. Load in and get attacked immediately? Party might show up after everything is already dead. So Solo is a perfectly reasonable thing to want, aside from just not wanting to deal with other people. I'm not playing solo but I've definitely loaded in before teammates and they've likely missed dialogue.

Huh. This does not seem to be a thing on Xbox, that I have seen. The worst thing I've seen has been "Oh I guess one dude got dropped" in a segue from combat -> RP -> combat, and I only knew because "well this seems more challenging than usual" and only 3 people on the victory screen.

Edit: Re difficulty and solo, no, to me that's like firing up Diablo, going "oh hey Torment has better drops!" then being surprised when I'm pasted or something. Or trying to solo a Nightmare in Destiny. Like yes you can, but that's not what it's for, so I'm not too surprised when it's not much fun. Missions to me are for "doing the mission", and if I want to explore I'll fire up freeplay and go wandering. It's completely alien to me to do it another way, especially when I know that anywhere I go (Stronghold excluded maybe?) in a mission, I can go in freeplay. (So far as I've seen, anyway.) I mean I'm a freelancer, I have a job to do!

dporowski on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I like the idea of the fort stuff you unlock via faction (though I hope we can customize at some point) but I need a before picture. Half the time I don't even notice the additions. =p

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I lost audio for the entirety of
    Fort of the Dawn
    ugh.
    That's a long and important mission to lose audio on

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of with dporowski. Being mad that harder difficulties aren't soloable because you want to "poke around and explore" mid mission is strange? That's literally what free play is for. Poking around and exploring. Mission time is mission time, that's why they have the drag forward mechanic. They are clearly telling you that missions are focused affairs where you push forward for the objectives.

Of course this is a classic argument. No matter how much a developer tells people a game is tuned for multiplayer there are always people who will complain it's not soloable on the exact terms they want it to be.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well, they won't let you turn on the higher difficulties at all until level 30, and I'd like the game to have some kind of challenge outside the tedium of titans, so...yeah. Solo's about the only recourse if you want a tougher experience because the game is trivially easy below level 30 with a full squad.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Do enemies have extra moves on hard vs normal? I was doing a solo world event and I'd randomly have scars smack me with something and all my shields were gone.

Also the fact the Interceptor can't fly during it's Ultimate is kind of bullshit. The melee move from the Ultimate moved me off a bridge so I fell and lost all the rest of my Ultimate time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Do enemies have extra moves on hard vs normal? I was doing a solo world event and I'd randomly have scars smack me with something and all my shields were gone.

Also the fact the Interceptor can't fly during it's Ultimate is kind of bullshit. The melee move from the Ultimate moved me off a bridge so I fell and lost all the rest of my Ultimate time.

I believe they do. Someone noted this during the beta.

• Options
    Beezel wrote: »
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

look at those big, soulful eyes

• Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Last boss of Heart of Rage Stronghold on Hard took ~40 minutes

I feel like I should stop playing this game already

• Options
    Keysier wrote: »

Keeeeerist.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Okay, Dax is my new best friend.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that this was originally a single player game that EA decided to turn into a loot shooter about halfway through development.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »

The streams I've been watching believe that the strongholds are scaled to level 30 regardless of what level you are.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    The introduction/tutorial mission goes a long way to improve the first impression of the game.

Getting plopped down in the middle of the game in the demo was jarring and frustrating, made worse by the performance issues and bugs.

"Running" through town now, I'm constantly thinking:
    CtJvK_6UAAAp5Gw.jpg

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm kind of with dporowski. Being mad that harder difficulties aren't soloable because you want to "poke around and explore" mid mission is strange? That's literally what free play is for. Poking around and exploring. Mission time is mission time, that's why they have the drag forward mechanic. They are clearly telling you that missions are focused affairs where you push forward for the objectives.

Of course this is a classic argument. No matter how much a developer tells people a game is tuned for multiplayer there are always people who will complain it's not soloable on the exact terms they want it to be.

I feel like "it's tuned for multiplayer" is a bit of a cop-out, though. Regardless of what the Devs have said, the critical story missions make far more sense if you solo them. Every single one of them is written like you're the only Freelancer participating. Not only that, having other players there gives them the opportunity to rush through things at far faster pace than you might like and screw up your experience.

Anthem should have learned from SWTOR, which handles this very well. In SWTOR, you can (and probably should) group up for a lot of side quests. But... you have to solo critical story quests. And critical story quests are XP-gated, so you can't rush through them all at once. The XP gate naturally forces you back to group play during those times you've caught up on the story.

So... I can totally understand why 3clipse wants to experience the personal story of his Freelancer at the difficulty he prefers to play without interference from a bunch of internet randos. Given that BioWare has solved this exact problem in one of their previous games, Anthem's story/questing mechanics are pretty disappointing.

htm on
  • Options
    I mean, sure, they want you to play the missions in multiplayer.

But they do let you pick solo and then change the difficulty to hard. Normal is awfully easy. It would be nice if they tuned it appropriately no matter how many people are with you.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Editing this because I'm a dummy and was doing it wrong earlier. For interceptor you can still do triple dash, fly until dash is off cool down, cancel flight into hover, cancel hover into triple dash, fly until dash is off cool down, repeat until heat bar fills up. I need another level to test it on ranger.

All of this has been mentioned and linked before but stuff I found useful and/or fun from demo includes;
    -Need to confirm it's still the case but top speed still feels like jump, melee, cancel melee animation with jump. LAUNCHES the javelin forward faster than sprint, flight, and air dash. Also allows for instant turns making cave navigation very easy. If nothing else it just feels good to push the buttons and have total control of the suits flopping around, especially on ranger where I felt faster whether I actually was or not boosting everywhere.
    -Flying down (steep angle, almost straight down) causes a noticeable rumble on the controller cooling your jets. Use this to extend flight time when it makes sense and no water is around.
    -Skimming the water places you in the cooled state turning your flight bar blue and slowing heat gain. Flying in the rain does the same.
    -Touching water cools you like they point out very early on in game. So if it's on the way fly under all the water falls you can.
    -While flying pressing hover lets you stop instantly. This opens up very, very easy air control be it 90 and 180 degree turns, instant stops preventing wall splats, easier cave navigation, whatever. Felt the most useful on colossus in the demo but useful on all four javelins.

Everything mentioned above applies to mouse and keyboard, which does feel better now, I just prefer the rumble of the controller even on PC.

Oh, something else I noticed. In the demo interceptor's jumping melee had to be timed and angled stupidly well to hit hovering enemies. Now it looks like you stick into the enemy briefly to do the melee attack making it easy to hit floating and flying targets. I've used the jumping melee attack against a lot of airborne enemies to bring them down much easier than during the demo. If you get the right angle and height you can even land multiple air attacks in the same target before you land. I was able to get three or four hits in the same jump to break an enemy storm's shields and then land one more attack as it fell before finishing it on the ground. So, possibly old to some/most, was new to me.

Column on
  • Options
    Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    My current way of practicing the ancient Art of Cuisin
    Lx3tVDRl.jpg

• Options
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

Matthias' story arc really makes me wish he...
    they

...were romanceable. >.>

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The introduction/tutorial mission goes a long way to improve the first impression of the game.

Getting plopped down in the middle of the game in the demo was jarring and frustrating, made worse by the performance issues and bugs.

"Running" through town now, I'm constantly thinking:
    CtJvK_6UAAAp5Gw.jpg

That crazy Greg. The speediest of walkers.

vamen on
  • Options
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

Look at that sensuous, kissable mouth:
    KxdrcM0r.jpg

• Options
    htm wrote: »
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

Look at that sensuous, kissable mouth:
    KxdrcM0r.jpg

LAY IT RIGHT ON ME DADDY

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m pretty sure it’s not a bug that Quickplay can throw you into missions you haven’t done yet

I say this because it literally mentions that it can happen in the tooltip the first time you access the map

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Will say its gonna be interesting when the reviews for this drop. Seems like things will be pretty divisive.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Will say its gonna be interesting when the reviews for this drop. Seems like things will be pretty divisive.

I expect a lot of "the core gameplay, visuals, and writing are great! everything else, what the fuck happened! 6/10!" or similar along those lines.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Found the problem.

Motion blur.

Don't know why but when it's set to OFF and I've got my post processing on Ultra, shit gets wonky. Motion blur exists in PP past medium no matter what the other settings are (until they issue the fix at launch).

Turn it off, post processing to medium, and it seems to be stable. Over an hour of playtime with zero issues. Turn it on when PP is on ultra, seems to be stable.

No fucking clue.

Damn, I was hoping this would work for me, too, but no such luck. Still getting horrible choppiness and stuttering, and it did not exist in the beta.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited February 2019

I expect a lot of "the core gameplay, visuals, and writing are great! everything else, what the fuck happened! 6/10!" or similar along those lines.

Its hard to tell because games only really get those kind of scores when they are bad.

Everything I've read about Anthem general consensus seems to be the base is pretty good but it could have used a few more months in the oven.

So it'll all come down to how many people are willing to invest in that potential which is hard to say. Like that shit isn't new to these "games as service" but folks already did that with Destiny and the Division not sure folks want to do that again.

Not to mention Fallout 76 came out and that could work either way.

Like I said it'll be interesting to watch.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular

Anyone who played release Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls and reviewing endgame is gonna have a massive negative ready to go. Right now the easiest way to farm masterworks and legendary tiers is chests.

Just like when RoS launched turn the difficulty as high as you can (literally as high as you can, getting one shot doesn't matter), pick an efficient chest farming route, pop all the chests until your eyes glaze over. Hardly unique to Anthem and RoS but if you make chests too good and too easily farmed it's what people are gonna do when item grinding.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Like I'm kind of split myself...keep in mind I haven't played the game as I'm on PS4 so just going on what I've watched and played of the demo.

And the strongholds were fun, like really fun. But honestly everything I've seen of freeplay and non-stronghold missions seems like the blog standard looter shooter stuff(go somewhere, shoot a bunch of things, get loot). Which you can argue is how most games work but I find it especially rote in these kind of games.

Like I'm not one of those grinding for the sake of grinding people, there has to be a hook. We'll see.

I'm still getting it cause I have money to burn rn and not much it coming out that interests me. But the whole "you have to wait a year before the game gets interesting" thing that these kind of games seem to have going on is pretty annoying.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I'm getting a fun bug where when I go hop in my javelin in town, it spins around and opens the back? Except one model is already sitting there spun around and opened, but a second one in the same spot does the animation. Weird!

Missions are fun but I do not like the town much at all. You walk so slow

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Why, BioWare. Why.

Huh. This does not seem to be a thing on Xbox, that I have seen. The worst thing I've seen has been "Oh I guess one dude got dropped" in a segue from combat -> RP -> combat, and I only knew because "well this seems more challenging than usual" and only 3 people on the victory screen.

I'm assuming it happens on PC because people's rigs can be vastly different leading to a wide range of loading times.

Doesn't happen on xbox since we're all working with basically the same hardware.

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @Forar shoot I must have typo'd that. I'm donthaveone83 on PSN. I'll double check the sheet to make sure I typed it correctly.

Edit - yep I'm an idiot who can't even type his own really horrible PSN name on a sheet. Fixed it.

Decatus on
    PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Oh thanks Mr. Stark! I wanted my very own Iron Man suit!
    cJelKZz.png

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Man, Tyrant Mine is much, much harder now than it was in the demo (on hard mode)

Lots of groups getting wrecked in the first area and then giving up at the second

This discussion has been closed.