Options

That's the [Anthem], y'all got to play me. Get your gun, suit up!

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    I would guess the number of games you can play of this exact style that already have an enormous amount of content.

"More coming soon!" only works as a draw for games that are a) the first in a genre or b) single player.

What other scifi power-based shooters with flight are there? Warframe is VERY MUCH not it; that's a musou bar-filling simulator with guns. (And I mean I love it, but I'm just saying.)

I doubt there are enough people who want that incredibly specific subgenre to support a game with EA money behind it :P

The game's light on release content post-story. There's no real getting around that. More coming soon is great, but this exact thing nearly killed Destiny 2 and that had the momentum of Destiny 1 behind it. You cannot launch a Live Services game without stuff for people to do, you just can't.

I mean I'll grant "flight" makes it a little tiny bit overspecific. Maybe. :p

But "scifi, power-based, third-person" currently doesn't exist that I know of, and I don't really understand substituting either say Destiny (Scifi, distinctly gun-based) or The Division (not sci-fi, also gun-based) into this. Do people really go "eh, cake is cake"?

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Perfect end to the perfect conversation
    XvCLnL5l.png

I took this exact same screenshot. And he blinked right as I took it then too, of course I only noticed after I made my choice.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My general experience on the internet so far has been people going "this new coffee cake tastes kinda funky they should have never bothered making such a generic, bland cake you might as well go get the chocolate cake it's so much better" where I'm like "well yeah it's kinda funky but also I've had the chocolate cake for four hundred fucking hours I want to see how this coffee cake goes"

There's my shitty analogy quota for the day covered

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    So I put down for a month of Premier. Let's see if Reddit is just overly harsh or Penny-Arcade is too soft :surprised:

I think the consensus at this point is that the gameplay itself is great, loot needs some work, and the UI and Feedback need work

That icon-based inventory feels straight out of 2007 Mass Effect and is just as clunky.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oof, okay yeah, that freeplay-based mission can go pound sand. I thought you guys were exaggerating, but man this suuuuucks.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I've put in the effort of doing the first 3-4 missions. Every time I'm forced to do dialogue in Tarsis, I quit the game and take a break. The writing just feels really really bad and constantly interrupting the only strength (shoot bits) with cliche exposition and crashes I feel like the effort to fun ratio is getting harder to justify.

If I can't mash escape through dialogue at this point, I alt+f4 and go do a chore around my apartment instead. The story has no hook at all.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Seems ea needs to be pretty happy apex turned out as it did..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Nah, fuck it.

dporowski on
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    People are going to talk about the game in the thread about the game, that includes both praise and complaints.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Yeah, but if I went into the Apex thread and spent all my time shitting on it, people would sure have some feelings.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Probably, that's why discussion boards exist.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    There’s negative views in threads all the time (for example, the Darksiders 3 thread). As long as you’re not a goose about it, there’s nowhere else to post than the games thread.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I went to the Reddit for the game and good grief is it buggy as fuck. And not just on PC, plenty of Xbox screw ups as well. I am getting it on PS4 and am getting worried.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I definitely want to hear the criticisms of the game because there are many and many are valid (which is why I haven't blocked half of the traffic on my Twitter or YouTube because of it), but it is almost impossible to search up any kind of information about the game without coming across this particular mix of vehement negativity and/or indifference in the responses or YouTube search result thumbnails (let alone the comments sections), a huge amount of ill-will towards EA, BioWare or a sentiment for either/or/both to fail.

It ramped up in the days since the demo (which, again, is a problem of BioWare's own making) and filtering legitimate grievances from all of the noise has been an utterly exhausting process.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I went to the Reddit for the game and good grief is it buggy as fuck. And not just on PC, plenty of Xbox screw ups as well. I am getting it on PS4 and am getting worried.

I'm up to level 26 and I've hit a few but mostly losing the sound, which rebooting seemed to fix. One time my colossus seemed to have way less health. I've only had to alt-F4 twice:
    Once in a stronghold when we did Hard mode before we were ready, 3 of us were dead and the other was trapped behind a door and we couldn't drop party or anything.
    Once I got stuck on the end mission screen (still got my loot though, which is good because that was when I got my first Masterwork tonight)

Way more stable than the demo, in my experience (and my demo experience wasn't too bad).

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm sorry. I was just so disappointed by the demo, and reading this thread after the intermediate pre-launch, it seems like there's still a ton of problems.

When Andromeda tanked, a game I actually enjoyed, I was hoping the bioware a-team could deliver something complete. But from all reports it seems this game needs at least half a year more of Dev time.

I hope everyone that bought it enjoys their time with it, but I'm just afraid it will go the Andromeda route, too, getting all further support canceled because of low sales, thus killing any chance of furthering its story.

I know it sounds like a self fulfilling prophecy, but I'm not ready to invest my time and money into something.. Half baked. Any more. My play time is too limited for that nowadays.

I hope it sells well and ends up being great

Edit: and with Andromeda, I was way more willing to overlook jankiness, because I loved the universe. I know nothing of anthem, so that's.. Less enthusiasm

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    This game is precisely the same as Diablo 3 when it was first released. It was entirely unfun and luck based, people wore magic find gear (in this game, it is +luck) to try and get the good stuff. There is a pretty limited set of what constitutes as good gear and good items, especially when considering the balance for the abilities is pretty slow.

For example as a Storm, there really isn't much motivation to use anything but Frost abilities (primer). At Grandmaster 1+ the CC is just far too useful and strong to ignore. There is a real mistake, imho, when they decided that some abilities just aren't a primer or a detonator. Are they supposed to do more damage? I don't know. Fireball hits for 9k for me with unlimited charges (basically) with a 1 second charge time. Glacial Spike hits for ~15-20k with a 6 second cooldown. Why would I use this lightning strike that does 2k and doesn't even prime or detonate? I just don't get it.

I'm 434 gearscore and now the game is fish for Masterwork/Legendaries. Just like Diablo 3 in the beginning you could get a Masterwork gun with +harvesting or you can get one with +200% damage. Can't reroll it, can't upgrade it. Just gotta try your luck again (you can craft them pretty easily though).

This game has all the warts of Diablo 3 right when it launched (including Inferno difficulty) in terms of gameplay. When you add on the constant loading screens, inability to change your loadout. Loading screens to just look at your inventory. All sorts of stats that literally do not tell you what they are or how they are used. +Physical? Is that guns? +Gear? +Effect?.

Its...a mess

The real shame is that the game can be really enjoyable at times. A perfect loadout with a well balanced group can really make the game feel different. The bugs will get ironed out but the bad gameplay decisions (c'mon man I thought everyone realized magic find should not be in games) are gonna be around a long time

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I must say I've really enjoyed the game so far. I'm only level 17 and still doing story missions. I guess I'm a lot more casual than most of you because I've only played this on normal difficulty. The core gunplay, use of powers, and flight mobility are great fun. Yeah it's a bit unpolished maybe but I'm very satisfied with my purchase and looking forward to finishing the story and hitting LVL 30.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I started playing now and the intro impressed me, really awesome scenery in both the first and second missions. The environments really look gorgeous.

Less impressed by having to replay it from the start since I got booted out and it didn't save my progress.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Having to go back to work sucks :(

23 hours this weekend, level 27 with I think a few side missions to go. Kind of amazed watching streamers finish the campaign at level 25 or lower, but I'm coming to realize that they must have skipped a number of sidequests (I looked briefly at Goth's map at one point and recoiled in horror at the number of conversations he had just sitting there on the map) and just beelined the story. I feel like I'm going to easily hit 28 before I finish. Gear score is creeping up there, though the recommended gear score levels for the Grandmaster difficulties don't seem to make a lot of sense considering I'm almost at them and haven't even unlocked it yet.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Playing on Normal with 4 people, I didn't think Tyrant Mine was any more difficult than in the demo

If anything it was easier, but I think that mostly because I had experience from the demo

Having at least one guy with the Devastator helps a lot against the Turrets and the Boss, and having electrical attacks helps a lot against the shielded Scars

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I will take a moment to say I appreciate the inherent comedy in the fact of the existence of a "Day 1" patch for a game that was functionally launched 7 days before that patch's deployment to try and squeeze subscriptions to a service out of the impatient.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Ya, this new concept of accessing a game before its actual release date (in other words, early) is really new and not at all common these days.

They should call it "early access." I like the sound of that.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Premature access?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Man, Tyrant Mine is much, much harder now than it was in the demo (on hard mode)

Lots of groups getting wrecked in the first area and then giving up at the second

I gave up and ran it on Normal (for shame!) after getting wrecked in the sniper crossfire death zone. Really tough without a coordinated 4-some....

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    From Reddit:

This might be helpful for people stuck on "that part" of the game.

1550482878044.png

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Man, Tyrant Mine is much, much harder now than it was in the demo (on hard mode)

Lots of groups getting wrecked in the first area and then giving up at the second

I gave up and ran it on Normal (for shame!) after getting wrecked in the sniper crossfire death zone. Really tough without a coordinated 4-some....

So four tips to ease the hard mode. (( T is group chat ))

1) This isn't destiny. you cannot lone wolf sections at intended gear levels. Shielded enemies will require teamwork. Stay the hell together.

2) Cross fire death zone/Turrets. Slow down and move up together slow, focus turrets slowly first- storm freeze helps greatly stay near entrance cave and funnel enemies back (snipers are mitigated by the terrain). Once they are very thinned out rush down the snipers. On phase 2 (at 8/12 sparks) fall back to the front of the entrance cave where the terrain favors you. Not in it, but the rocks in front again. Plenty of angles and cover with snipers unable to effect you.

3) On the ramp - have your colossus pal use fire wall. 2 javs on ramp/ top of ramp with two focusing sparks and tossing damage down the ramp when idle. the colossus can shield charge up and down the ramp through the fire to get health ammo drops and push scorps off the sides. Makes it much easier to manage.

4) The swarm boss - Where she climbs is where they spawn. Pay attention to time/scorps adds left and get out of the cave area before she busts out or you will get chain webbed/overheated/munched on and you will die. Always deal with adds before setting in a deep burn on the boss.

Colossus hot take-

I know people like the 'god combo' of lighting artillery plus flame thrower for tons of short range combos, But I think rail gun plus firewall is better as you climb difficulty. Firewall primes everything too- So You can melee to pop huge combos in groups or use railgun to pop from afar. And this combo gives you way more utility as you can use rail gun from across the map. It gives a really good damage dump with entire map distance range. Both are on pretty short timers. Plus if you prime with fire wall- you can immediately shield bash though them and run circles CCing all the enemies you knock down and you are now safe while priming everything vs flamethrower where you cannot shield and use at same time.

I eagerly await purples and golds to see what shenanigans this morphs into.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Lol just got stuck on a legendary contract or whatever because the game literally tethered the entire group into a small boxed area and wouldn't let us leave it. so, we couldn't hit the next location. Try to respawn to see if I can break a loop: disconnected from EA servers.

I'm sorry if criticism ruffles some feathers, but I'm trying to engage the endgame here and I'm getting shat on at every opportunity. I'm not bad at this stuff - this needs more time to bake.

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    Downloading the xbox version now. A month of EA access is only $2.50, so that's worth it for a 10 hour demo to me, especially since if I decide I like it you get 10% off the game.

Anyone playing on xBox instead of PC? My c ok mputer went run it at all...

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    I know people like the 'god combo' of lighting artillery plus flame thrower for tons of short range combos, But I think rail gun plus firewall is better as you climb difficulty. Firewall primes everything too- So You can melee to pop huge combos in groups or use railgun to pop from afar. And this combo gives you way more utility as you can use rail gun from across the map. It gives a really good damage dump with entire map distance range. Both are on pretty short timers. Plus if you prime with fire wall- you can immediately shield bash though them and run circles CCing all the enemies you knock down and you are now safe while priming everything vs flamethrower where you cannot shield and use at same time.

Yeah, I saw that combo on a stream and decided I need to try it. Sure, lightning coil detonates, but it's fairly short range so I might as well melee up close. Swapping it for a mortar gives me way more range.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I think Venom bomb is stealthily one of the best Interceptor Assault gears - it's on such a short cooldown and primes enemies fairly quickly. You don't even need to freeze packs of mobs, you just let your friends combo them to death and do it again 7 seconds later (less time if you've got cooldown reduction stuff). Once the adds are clear, it's a lot easier to focus down the elite/legendary enemies hanging around

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Found the problem.

Motion blur.

Don't know why but when it's set to OFF and I've got my post processing on Ultra, shit gets wonky. Motion blur exists in PP past medium no matter what the other settings are (until they issue the fix at launch).

Turn it off, post processing to medium, and it seems to be stable. Over an hour of playtime with zero issues. Turn it on when PP is on ultra, seems to be stable.

No fucking clue.

Damn, I was hoping this would work for me, too, but no such luck. Still getting horrible choppiness and stuttering, and it did not exist in the beta.

Ok, so, for anyone who still has this problem: I think the issue is Windows 10 1809 (aka the October 2018 update). I had installed it in the time period between the demo and release, and so I just rolled back to 1803 and the game runs perfectly now.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KaruwenKaruwen Registered User regular
    I added a bunch of people from the spreadsheet, for that sweet Alliance XP.

Enjoying the game so far, even though I had a super rocky experience with the VIP and Open demos. This is very smooth and pretty bug free.

Steam, Xbox Live & PSN : Karuwen
  • Options
    i added self to the sheet :hydra:

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    As a PS4 player, reading this thread just makes me really really happy that I am apparently lacking enough in discernment and shooter skill that I'm going to be running around yelling "WHEEEE! AWESOME FLYING ROBOT TIMES! EAT LASER DEATH, SWARM TYRANT!" right up until the next content patch drops. Thank goodness for the limited playtime and horrible twitch reflexes early middle age have cursed me with. All praise the Second Quartile Gamer! (Additionally I am thankful for the lack of PvP for largely the same reasons).

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    FWIW the biggest problem I have with the game is this ridiculous staggered release. It's not cool. Everyone should be allowed to play by now. I realise I'm a giant hypocrite because I went early access, but I don't like this artificial gating.

• Options
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    As a PS4 player, reading this thread just makes me really really happy that I am apparently lacking enough in discernment and shooter skill that I'm going to be running around yelling "WHEEEE! AWESOME FLYING ROBOT TIMES! EAT LASER DEATH, SWARM TYRANT!" right up until the next content patch drops. Thank goodness for the limited playtime and horrible twitch reflexes early middle age have cursed me with. All praise the Second Quartile Gamer! (Additionally I am thankful for the lack of PvP for largely the same reasons).

Its just the times. The fact is nothing is ever perfect and take your fun where you find it.

I like anthem and I'm getting plastered by connection issues. The story is (or due to its delivery) is not significant. but "Wheeeeee im a rocket shield bashing robot!" is so strong.....

its a solid 7/10 and I'm enjoying it.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    FWIW the biggest problem I have with the game is this ridiculous staggered release. It's not cool. Everyone should be allowed to play by now. I realise I'm a giant hypocrite because I went early access, but I don't like this artificial gating.
    I was on record as hating timed PS4 exclusives - even though they benefitted me - over the entirety of the Destiny lifecycle, so I am trying really hard to hold my tongue about it now that I've got the short end but yes. Being excited about a game and having to duck and weave through spoilers and not let other people's general mood affect your initial impressions for a week is, I believe the correct, scientific term is "super shitty".

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As a fellow ps4 player my primary concern is the bug ridden mess we are going to have to deal with for longer then the other 2 platforms. Our day one patch will only be guesses on how to fix the bugs present in other versions with zero insight into the unique fuckery the ps4 will offer. Hopefully EA uses their clout and/or money to push patches through certification quickly across the board.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    . . .as for detonating, remember, your melee detonates too. So if you've got two primers, you will always have a means of detonating something. Also the game seems to know that you want to do this as it will aim-assist you from in air slams.

As for Titans, they are absolutely NOT only vulnerable when their heart is exposed. You can also get (critical) shots on their arms when they are flaming.

The game definitely has some warts, but getting farther in and getting good at chaining combos and figuring out the kind of build I want, I'm enjoying the game more and more. The Diablo comparison (without the real-money auction house) is perfectly apt. Once you beat the game. . .that was it but running through it on Harder and getting more loot. I do not doubt that we'll get something akin to the rift system in this game as they've basically laid that out during the story (hell the Anthem itself is basically a macguffin and can be used for anything).

The only advice I would have to someone is if they really didn't like the demo or don't like loot shooters in theory to just wait a week or so to see how the patch smooths things out (the load times is the real Final Boss of this game, and really break up gameplay).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
This discussion has been closed.