As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Any vendor still requiring silverlight should have their asshair ripped out.
    Fucking Dell Essentials

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @SniperGuy

I did a write up for somebody in a similar situation. Lemme see if I can find it.

$5k is not unreasonable. I'd prefer a slightly higher budget personally

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    @SniperGuy

This person was running on-premises Exchange, which you aren't doing, but the principles still apply.

Use redundancy and virtualization. You will thank yourself later.

Two physical servers, each running a virtualization platform. (Either VMware ESXi free version or Microsoft Hyper-V work, and both are affordable.)

One Active Directory server on each physical box. (Each Active Directory server will also be a DNS server. It's usually advisable you use Microsoft DHCP as well.)
    Feral wrote: »
    My recommendation if you're limited on server hardware is to use Hyper-V. I've done this in small environments before and it works fine. An example might look something like this:

First Physical Server: HYPERV01
    VM: ADS01
    VM: EXCHANGE01
    VM: FILE01

Second Physical Server: HYPERV02
    VM: ADS02
    VM: EXCHANGE02
    VM: FILE02

Total cost: 6 licenses for Microsoft Server, 2 licenses for Exchange, 2 physical servers, plus however many CALs you need. You can do this for around $10k before CALs.

If you can't quite swing that, you can also do:

You don't get redundancy on Exchange or file sharing, but you can easily migrate those VMs to another physical server if something crashes.

Your software cost will be a little less because you're not doing Exchange. But you will also need to think about a rack or cage, UPS and power distribution, possibly cooling.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Also backups

backupsssssss

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Also backups

backupsssssss

Eh

Who needs em

:rotate:

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    @SniperGuy

This person was running on-premises Exchange, which you aren't doing, but the principles still apply.

Use redundancy and virtualization. You will thank yourself later.

Two physical servers, each running a virtualization platform. (Either VMware ESXi free version or Microsoft Hyper-V work, and both are affordable.)

One Active Directory server on each physical box. (Each Active Directory server will also be a DNS server. It's usually advisable you use Microsoft DHCP as well.)
    My recommendation if you're limited on server hardware is to use Hyper-V. I've done this in small environments before and it works fine. An example might look something like this:

VM: FILE01

VM: EXCHANGE02

Total cost: 6 licenses for Microsoft Server, 2 licenses for Exchange, 2 physical servers, plus however many CALs you need. You can do this for around $10k before CALs.

If you can't quite swing that, you can also do:

You don't get redundancy on Exchange or file sharing, but you can easily migrate those VMs to another physical server if something crashes.

Your software cost will be a little less because you're not doing Exchange. But you will also need to think about a rack or cage, UPS and power distribution, possibly cooling.

If money is a SERIOUS issue, one physical server is an option. Not the greatest option, but budget constraints are real.

• Options
    I have a pretty strong belief that if you can't afford two physical servers, you can't afford Active Directory.

I recognize we'll probably disagree on that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's not that they can't afford either, it's just owners are cheap asses and balk at $20,000 price tags.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I will say that if the company is only willing to spend about $5k on an Active Directory implementation, I’d consider getting one physical box with good redundancy (good RAID, dual power supplies, etc) in its own hardware rather than trying to squeeze a bunch of VMs on there just for the sake of virtualization.

I’d also question an installer who wants to do that for $5k. In my opinion, to kind of go along with what Feral was saying, if you’re getting into the virtualization game, I think you should be at two hosts and a NAS to begin with if you want to do it right. I haven’t specced out low cost VMware hosts in a while but I think you’d be in the $20k range total, maybe less if you compromise in a couple areas. But I do have to admit that my virtualization budget is rather good compared to a lot of smaller businesses; they don’t really question what I want to spend within reason (and ultimately the limiting factor is that if it goes over a certain amount, it goes to the board of directors for approval).

Also also remember that Microsoft licensing is now per core, so you have to be careful to walk that line. I uh, have a lot of cores in my hosts, and they were licensed per socket when we started.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Hybrid 365 is so damn stupid, especially when 1 out of every 10 accounts you attempt to create ends up creating both a Cloud and On-Prem mailbox, even when you have never assigned an Exchange Online license before.

Hybrid 365 is a headache.

The best part is that they market it as an option for long-term migration but they don't tell you that you can't remove Exchange at the end and keep ADSync running. Genius move leaving key features on-prem only which requires you to keep the Exchange server, or run in an unsupported setup.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I will say that if the company is only willing to spend about $5k on an Active Directory implementation, I’d consider getting one physical box with good redundancy (good RAID, dual power supplies, etc) in its own hardware rather than trying to squeeze a bunch of VMs on there just for the sake of virtualization.

I’d also question an installer who wants to do that for $5k. In my opinion, to kind of go along with what Feral was saying, if you’re getting into the virtualization game, I think you should be at two hosts and a NAS to begin with if you want to do it right. I haven’t specced out low cost VMware hosts in a while but I think you’d be in the $20k range total, maybe less if you compromise in a couple areas. But I do have to admit that my virtualization budget is rather good compared to a lot of smaller businesses; they don’t really question what I want to spend within reason (and ultimately the limiting factor is that if it goes over a certain amount, it goes to the board of directors for approval).

Also also remember that Microsoft licensing is now per core, so you have to be careful to walk that line. I uh, have a lot of cores in my hosts, and they were licensed per socket when we started.

Even if a client is cheap and doesn't want to spend $$$ on a big virtualization setup, I would still much rather set up a $5K server and virtualize it on a host for the ease of moving it if I have to in the future. IMO, copying a VHD to a fresh host install is easier than doing a restore of a server. It also allows more freedom with support if the VM goes down as I can still remote into the host if it is configured with external DNS servers.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm working with maybe 200ish desktop/laptops and probably under a thousand total users (Most have iPads, but we have a few labs) so we're definitely not huge. Making sure this is as inexpensive as possible is going to be a high priority, especially since I have to convince people who will barely understand what it does that it's actually worth doing. Setting up one server with VMs that we can easily spread out the following year might be ideal for now, but I'll probably bring some "ideal" quotes and some "bare minimum" quotes and see what I can eek out of 'em.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    200 workstations and slightly under a thousand users is fucking massive, my man.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    For a one person crew especially so.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options

Even if a client is cheap and doesn't want to spend $$$ on a big virtualization setup, I would still much rather set up a $5K server and virtualize it on a host for the ease of moving it if I have to in the future. IMO, copying a VHD to a fresh host install is easier than doing a restore of a server. It also allows more freedom with support if the VM goes down as I can still remote into the host if it is configured with external DNS servers.

Exactly. You don't need to spend $20k on a virtualization host. For a small shop, you can do it with $5k per host on hardware, plus nothing for the free VMware ESXi license, or do Hyper-V. You just have to make sure your OSes are properly licensed.

I wouldn't call 200 computers and 1000 users a small shop, though. To me, that's midsized.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Pop quiz, sysadmin thread. This should be an easy one.

It's 7:00am. There are four IT staff in the office and there's a crisis brewing. Key points:

Multiple users are unable to log in to their computers.
    Affected computers do not respond to ping.
    A couple of your servers also seem to be down, not responding to ping.
    You checked in with one of your branch offices and they're fine. Not all of your branch offices are open yet though. So for now you're not sure which locations are affected, but you know you have at least one branch office that is up and running.
    When a computer is rebooted, it drops off the network and stops responding to ping.

What would be your first avenue of investigation?

Feral on

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I have a pretty strong belief that if you can't afford two physical servers, you can't afford Active Directory.

This is also saying the network security that comes with GPO and user authentication has an entry level price tag of 10-20k, which I disagree with.

You can have AD on the cheap, you just need to understand that your business continuity plan is not geared for fast recovery. You’re going to have more single points of failure. That doesn’t mean you can’t afford gpo and network storage. Better a virtual server running on a single raid’ed host getting backed up to carbonite or rotating USB drives, than shit spread around on workgrouped PCs.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited February 2019

It's 7:00am. There are four IT staff in the office and there's a crisis brewing. Key points:

You checked in with one of your branch offices and they're fine. Not all of your branch offices are open yet though. So for now you're not sure which locations are affected, but you know you have at least one branch office that is up and running.
    When a computer is rebooted, it drops off the network and stops responding to ping.

DHCP

Edit: wait, servers too. DNS

Cog on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    DHCP was my thought as well.

"Stops responding", not "can't resolve"? DNS could be cached, I guess.

I'd check a workstation, see if it can get an IP, see if it can ping external addresses, etc.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Somebody plugged an apple airport into the network.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

One of the cheaper redundant hardware virtualization products I've seen is Starwind HCA. Essentially a pair of Dell warranty-backed workstation-class towers with redundant power and hardware RAID, using a "Virtual SAN" software to synchronize the local data storage volumes between the two physical servers using direct-attached 10 Gb cables for the storage traffic so you don't need more expensive 10Gb network switches. Uses Hyper-V (or ESX, but for this case, he'd want to stay with the Hyper-V because the free ESX doesn't do migration/vmotion without vCenter). The VM's live on the synchronized volumes, so if you have a hardware failure, you just start them back up on the second box.

Now in my opinion, these are fine for small remote office applications where you are only planning to run a handful of VM's. Active Directory/DNS servers require very little compute and memory so if that's all this is it should be fine, but don't expect to be running a whole raft of VM's off of such a setup or real heavy application loads, you'd probably want better servers for that.

One bit of complication is that the Hyper-V clustering that you need to support migration and failover between the servers requires AD. Since there's no AD environment, you'd have to set up one server, get your AD VM's spun up on that, then set up the second server and clustering.

Note that you'd still need a backup solution. Synchronized data storage is not backup.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

This is also saying the network security that comes with GPO and user authentication has an entry level price tag of 10-20k, which I disagree with.

You can have AD on the cheap, you just need to understand that your business continuity plan is not geared for fast recovery. You’re going to have more single points of failure. That doesn’t mean you can’t afford gpo and network storage. Better a virtual server running on a single raid’ed host getting backed up to carbonite or rotating USB drives, than shit spread around on workgrouped PCs.

Nobody will understand this except you. When it eventually fails - and it will - nobody else is going to remember the very sober conversation where you clearly explained the situation to your CFO.

They'll just be cursing your name and spreading rumors about how bad their IT is.

They might even tell you to tear the server down permanently because it isn't worth the liability.

Meanwhile you've enabled a pattern of IT <-> MGMT interactions where they're able to get you to sacrifice critical values like "reliability" and "uptime" by low-balling you. You're allowing them to take out technical debt like a bartender giving shots to an alcoholic.

And your own stress and anxiety will be amplified on a day to day basis because you have this single server that you're afraid to touch because taking it down will fuck up your whole network.

You'll spend more time working late nights and early mornings because you can't do routine maintenance or invasive troubleshooting during business hours.

It's not worth it.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    It’s worth it to be right.

Also make your argument and record their consent in email form so later you can print it out and slap them with it.

Cog on
  • Options
    So the answer to my pop quiz was "DHCP"

There were four IT staff working this problem: one helpdesk, two admins, and one manager. They texted me early on to tell me what was up but I didn't see the texts because I was asleep.

By the time I saw the texts and jumped on, they'd be investigating it for over an hour, still didn't have any idea what the problem was. Their working hypothesis was "a bad Windows Update was installed on the affected PCs" and somebody opened a trouble ticket with Microsoft over it.

• Options

There's half a dozen unanswered questions to tell for sure, but given this thread, DNS. Computers can't locate the domain, switch their firewall profile to Public and start blocking ping.

• Options
    I was thinking DHCP but I had no idea if it's common practice nowadays to run servers on DHCP or not so I kept my mouth shut and huddled in the corner.

• Options
    I'd probably first check physical hard before going to DHCP just in case it's a legit failing switch, but then DHCP, then DNS, then active directory fuckmuppetry.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It’s worth it to be right.

Also make your argument and record their consent in email form so later you can print it out and slap them with it.

This makes much more sense from a contractor/MSP point of view.

It's career suicide from an internal IT point of view.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I was thinking DHCP but I had no idea if it's common practice nowadays to run servers on DHCP or not so I kept my mouth shut and huddled in the corner.

Yes and no, you can do a reservation for the IP with mac address but I prefer to just set it as static IP if I know it's supposed to be static.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yes and no, you can do a reservation for the IP with mac address but I prefer to just set it as static IP if I know it's supposed to be static.

DHCP reservation has some minor management benefit but also adds another point of failure as demonstrated above.

• Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

ARP table is fubared. Reboot switches.

Troy on
  • Options
    Our production servers have statically assigned IPs.

Some of our dev servers are DHCP.

But of course there's the occasional server running production workloads in dev that never got properly migrated over.

DHCP doesn't have to be a single point of failure. I've been meaning to set up redundant DHCP but, yknow, malcolminthemiddlelightbulb.avi

• Options
    Yeah I've been burnt on physical hardware enough for shit like this where I'd absolutely triple check that the first time before going on the wild goose chase.

• Options

There were four IT staff working this problem: one helpdesk, two admins, and one manager. They texted me early on to tell me what was up but I didn't see the texts because I was asleep.

By the time I saw the texts and jumped on, they'd be investigating it for over an hour, still didn't have any idea what the problem was. Their working hypothesis was "a bad Windows Update was installed on the affected PCs" and somebody opened a trouble ticket with Microsoft over it.

I'd ask if y'all were hiring, if not for your other posts!

• Options

Well what do I win for being right first?

• Options

Well what do I win for being right first?

A free game from Humble Bundle! Check your PMs.

• Options
    Congrats on your farming simulator

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

if it's not Deer Hunter 2019 I give up on this thread

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So this isn't hard to do but I need to do it a lot and it annoys me every time, EVERYONE else uses .pem for ssl microsoft, fuck you stop making me convert them to pfx and just use pem you asshats. IJUFOIHJFEUIHFGEIUOYGIUYADE. Leave pfx support for people obsessed with security but just let me import fucking pems.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    twmjr wrote: »

twmjr wrote: »