As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    My journey into Divine Visitation jank continues.

I am thinking something like this: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/82364

The meta is not very forgiving of jank right now. Pretty much all of your games are going to be against mono colored hyper efficient decks (RDW, WW, mono-u) or esper. There are other decks that can exist, but I think the power level of those decks is so much higher than everything else there isn't much room for brews especially in Bo1.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    user wrote: »
    On the one hand, Dominaria Sealed is a mess of a format.

On the other hand... 7 wins with this.

iaxky2l1vdqf.jpg

Funny how I was in the same colors as you and had hardly any overlap. I had far less removal than you, just my 2x Settle the Score, and the Bloodtallow Candle that I kept recurring (really late game with Muldrotha) but I went 7-1. I bet your deck coulda beat mine.

For whatever reason no one seemed to have removal left when my Muldrotha hit the board. I'm completely new to Sealed but even I knew to save at least one removal spell for an opponent's bomb.

Funny, that I never even swinged in with Muldrotha since that seemed like a big risk. And honestly not one match, did I actually 0 out the opponents' health. It was all just concessions to inevitability.

And my gain 10 life kicked Druid was key in dragging out to two matches.

Did you win much with stolen creatures from Eldest Reborn?

They all scooped before the third chapter, or had an answer to it. One game I got to Icy a Darigaaz while at 2 life. When they started to roped me, I Fungal Infectioned my own saproling with Slimefoot out, then Cast Down the other one for the win. Another game my opponent had Traxos, Evra, and Chainer's Torment that made a 10/10 Horror. I Eviserated Evra, Freezed Traxos, and made Slimefoot an 12/13 with Blackblade. Also had Eldest Reborn on the field. GG.

This was actually my second sealed pool. My first one had Lyra, Arvad, Aryel, Dread Shade, Helm of the Host, Eldest Reborn, 2x Banishing Lights... and a bunch of dregs. Think I went 1-3, probably should have splashed red for cheap removal.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm trying to think of the best deck to counter both RDW and esper.

I'm thinking it is an esper list running 4x bascillica bell-haunts + negates + devious cover ups. Bell-Haunts are a pretty bad card against the mirror. You don't want to ever spend 4 mana to play a creature in the early to midgame. But the card is such a hard counter to RDW you can afford to run a stronger anti esper package.

Alternatively, you can go the Kaya route. Kaya also provides a headache for mono-u if it resolves (unlikely). She shuts down chem insights, provides a head ache for drakes, and keeps azcanta from flipping. And against a deck that runs no creatures she has to trade for vraska or a counter spell/thought erasure. Against RDW.

Alternatively, you can go another route and run something like gruul aggro or WW. I think both are slightly favored against both decks.

I don't think there are many other options for Bo1 right now sadly. Sucks that the best anti-meta deck is just a meta deck.

furbat on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Play BO3, it's better.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    BO3 I've run into mono blue, esper, sultai, weird janky builds that actually work sometimes, white weenie, azorious, gruul stuff, etc. It feels very diverse!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    BO3 I've run into mono blue, esper, sultai, weird janky builds that actually work sometimes, white weenie, azorious, gruul stuff, etc. It feels very diverse!

That’s great. I escaped Hearthstone because it got so stale.

I’ve been staying away from bo3 because I don’t really have the cards for sideboarding but maybe that doesn’t matter as much.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah, I mostly haven't gone into BO3 because I can't be arsed to research the format and build a sideboard for all my decks, basically.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Just go to mtgtop8, look at top decks for what you want, cobble something together.

• Options

That’s great. I escaped Hearthstone because it got so stale.

I’ve been staying away from bo3 because I don’t really have the cards for sideboarding but maybe that doesn’t matter as much.

Even if you can't match the sideboards perfectly, you can put utility cards you do have in there and build them out as you earn wildcards.

Because wildcards are the way to build specific decks that you are currently working on, not ICRs.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    BO3 is a longer time commitment, both in terms of research (you delve into the whole sideboarding thing) and in terms of play. I like playing it (because this is primarily how Paper Magic goes), but I also like the fast BO1 games for a quick fix and to plow right through drafts and tournaments.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BO1 is fine when you don't have much time to play and all, but when you devote as much time as needed to get 15 wins most days, you're probably better off playing BO3 for the increased deck diversity, and the percentage points you'll gain through sideboarding correctly.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    BO3 is a longer time commitment, both in terms of research (you delve into the whole sideboarding thing) and in terms of play. I like playing it (because this is primarily how Paper Magic goes), but I also like the fast BO1 games for a quick fix and to plow right through drafts and tournaments.

I like Bo3 in paper but Arena players are assholes (oh I'm losing I'm going to rope you, etc) which makes it a bit less compelling.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I like Bo3 in paper but Arena players are assholes (oh I'm losing I'm going to rope you, etc) which makes it a bit less compelling.

I'm still amazed this is happening to people. I have been roped maybe twice? Ever?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Every once in a while I think, "I don't want to get too invested, so I'm just gonna play some bo1 ranked" and then it fucking sucks and I immediately regret my decision and go back to bo3. I can't stand not having the chance to sideboard or make mulligan decisions based on my opponent's deck.

I only play bo1 for unranked constructed to finish quests or for ranked drafts, and I wish I didn't have to play it for ranked drafts.

I've run into a lot more players who lost game 1 and then conceded the whole thing than players who actively trolled me in bo3.

I think I've only been deliberately roped in unranked bo1 and unranked draft.

admanb on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I've never been intentionally roped more than a turn or two. A few obvious disconnects though.

And that seems fine maybe a sibling or cat got in the way.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I play BO1 because 3 takes a long time. If I get blown out I get blown out and I play someone else,

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Bo3 in my experience doesn't take that much longer. I initially shied away from it due to that fear but I find most matches are 30 minutes or less. The fact that it's digital and takes care of the shuffling means you aren't looking at 50 minute rounds or whatever like you would at FNM. Also the pairing is instant, you don't have to walk around the store and pick up your playmat and shit.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I think one could reasonably assuming it would take ~3 times longer

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I think one could reasonably assuming it would take ~3 times longer

It actually hardly ever does though. Going 2-1 or 1-2 is rarer than 2-0 and the sideboard tends to sway things in one direction or another. Plus you have less issues of land screw or flood losing you those ranked pips.

• Options
    I don't want to play against someone I just beat or someone I just lost to again.

• Options
    furbat wrote: »
    I don't want to play against someone I just beat or someone I just lost to again.

You didn't beat them yet, you just won round one. Now you switch sides and decide this thing for real!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

I'm still amazed this is happening to people. I have been roped maybe twice? Ever?

I dunno I think I get a very different que than most people here, due to time played, or ??. I don't see most of the decks people talk about, and the deck distribution is fairly even. I saw Nexus of Fate I think once, ever?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

You didn't beat them yet, you just won round one. Now you switch sides and decide this thing for real!

I don't even understand the initial mindset. Lots of things are decided over a series of games. Best of one allows for a lot of variance.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I think I'll try switching to Bo3 because I am seriously sick of mono-red and mono-blue.

• Options
    Yeah I just never feel like our game was "over" after a bo1. We were playing blind, saw so little of the others' deck, and none of their sideboard plans.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My journey into Divine Visitation jank continues.

I am thinking something like this: https://aetherhub.com/Deck/Public/82364

I crafted a version of this without going all in on the rares and mythic rares, crafted two each of the shock lands for future flexibility, and 1-2 additional copies of the rares I needed. I also had 2 Venerated Loxodons so they went into the deck, along with a Shalai.

First game, against mono red. I won pretty handily holding them off with healing until I could get 4 angels on the board and there was really nothing they could do after that.

Second game was against some kind of black sacrifice deck which pulled a big ass demon and turn 3. Never seen it before, may have been some test jank. I don’t have any fliers so I filed the board with weenies and buffed them with loxodon. Never drew DV but didn’t need it. Opponent was too afraid to tap or sacrifice creatures because he was on a short clock. Lots of back and forth but eventually I was able to push through and win.

So it’s a token deck with some blue splash and DV, I’m sure there are more efficient versions of that but for now I’m content to keep pushing with this and testing some new cards when I can afford them.

I’m pumped! I may have crafted something that is fun and not complete garbage!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Not terribly different from my W/g token deck. Think I have Trosani discordant instead of the Sprouting Renewals and some legion's landings but thats about it

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I just learned the hard way that when stealing a bunch of cards with Thief of Sanity and Hostage Taker, you should *not* play out the Trostani Discordant that you just stole... That was kind of embarassing... :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    This deck didn't look like a 7-0, but it sure was.

x4fmXCM.png?1

• Options
    Siege-Gang Commander did obvious work. The wizard package was excellent. I mised a couple games off of kicked Keldon Overseer -- including one where I was at 3 life and facing a 7/7 flying trampling dragon when I top-decked the overseer and swung for ~18 damage against their 16 life -- but for the most part it was just early aggro into mid and late game value + reach. The highlight was by far kicking a Ghitu Chronicler with Naban in play to rebuy Divination and Radiating Lightning.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    We have reached a strange bizzaro world where kaya is run maindeck in every Bo1 esper deck on the ladder. She is without a doubt the most surprising card of the expansion.

furbat on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Bo1 being almost completely mono-colored aggro/tempo decks running a ton of one drop creatures makes her surprisingly valuable, though aside from technically being a win condition I'd still rather just play copies 5 & 6 of Moment of Craving

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    milski wrote: »
    Bo1 being almost completely mono-colored aggro/tempo decks running a ton of one drop creatures makes her surprisingly valuable, though aside from technically being a win condition I'd still rather just play copies 5 & 6 of Moment of Craving

She isn't a dead card against the mirror unlike 5 and 6 of craving. The healing per turn also lets you run cast down over moment of craving which actually hits benalish marshals, whirly boys, djins, evolved pterimanders and so on.

If you rely on 4 copies of moment of craving, you are leaving yourself pretty open to things not mono colored.

furbat on
  • Options

She isn't a dead card against the mirror unlike 5 and 6 of craving. The healing per turn also lets you run cast down over moment of craving which actually hits benalish marshals, whirly boys, djins, evolved pterimanders and so on.

If you rely on 4 copies of moment of craving, you are leaving yourself pretty open to things not mono colored.

I mean, esper control mirrors she's a pretty dead card, isn't she? Esper midrange isn't prevalent enough to really worry about.

I've got one of her in my esper control sideboard and she comes in against some stuff but overall has just been fine, not amazing. There's probably better stuff to use her for.

Also I have been slacking on my ranked grind. Up to plat 2 with majority esper control games. They just take so long

Feels real good when I beat a mirror though. Especially via thief of sanity hitting their teferis

• Options
    edited March 2019

Teching for decks that aren't common at the cost of being worse against common decks isn't a good gameplan.

In Esper control mirrors you tap out for her to prevent Azcanta from flipping, and then they tap out for Karn if they're running him. If I cared about Esper control mirrors I'd be running Sinister Sabotage and Chemister's Insight, but I don't because they're such a small fraction of the games I play.

In other matchups, the lifegain from craving is more relevant than having two-mana kill spells from Cast Down, since everything you mentioned as a threat is 3+ mana and so Mortify or Absorb is fine to deal with it.

The amount of times I've had Moment of Craving and really needed a cast down is far, far, far lower than the number of Adanto Vanguards I've killed or red decks I've beaten while going to 1-3 life.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    do you like planeswalkers?

because they just confirmed that there's a whole lotta planeswalkers in the next set

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/closer-look-stained-glass-planeswalkers-2019-03-08
    What's more, each of these 36 Planeswalkers will have a planeswalker card in War of the Spark. (The card art will be different, though—in fact, these stained-glass versions aren't appearing on cards at all!) You'll have to wait for War of the Spark previews in April to see the new cards, but each booster pack will contain a planeswalker so you should have no trouble getting your hands on them when the set is released.

What

I hope you like Planeswalkers! I do! EVERY PACK

EVERY PACK

• Options
    Anyway, more important news:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/closer-look-stained-glass-planeswalkers-2019-03-08

War of the Spark contains 36 walkers, and there will be one PW in every pack.

This will be absurd

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i won

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    EVERY. PACK.

*crafts 8 more Vraska's Contempts*